• Published 22nd Jan 2018
  • 932 Views, 43 Comments

Larkspur Blossom - Pone_Heap



An Earth pony colt grows up taking care of his younger sisters, a Pegasus and a unicorn. As he matures, he learns his worth and gains the best friend he could ever hope to have.

  • ...
9
 43
 932

Chapter 3: In-school Suspension

“LARKSPUR BLOSSOM! SUSPENDED ON YOUR FIRST DAY?!”

His uncle used his full name. Ha! Lark thought they were past this. This wasn’t the first time that day his uncle yelled at him. It was Tuesday morning, now. Lark had gone to the hospital the day before, as had a couple of Tuxedo Parade’s flunkies.

Tux had been okay, just winded and gagged. The one who had tossed Lark with magic just needed his eyes flushed. Lark himself had some serious bruising and had chafing in a few places. The foal he put into the swing set had a few broken ribs, while the one he threw broke a leg upon faceplanting.

Unlike the colt with the broken leg, Lark hadn’t spent the night in the hospital. He had made it home late, picked up by his aunt, and his aunt and uncle waited for the next morning to let him have it.

Lark was in no mood for this crap. Everything hurt. He didn’t care that the school was in an uproar, or that Tux’s parents, who did happen to be on the school board, were out for his blood. And his aunt and uncle’s blood, maybe. And the school’s, certainly. The little bastard and his douche-crew attacked him, mostly unprovoked, and Lark put them in their place. A flower insulted a panda. Big deal. What was he supposed to do when they came at him?

What was funny to him is that he blanked out for most of the fight. He could barely remember anything past attacking Tux, other than the shocked looks of all the foals that had watched him lay down a beating.

He sat, hearing, but not really listening, to his uncle. Lark could understand his upsettedness. Taking in a colt and seeing this kind of trouble? So soon? Not good. But it got old. Lark had tried to explain his side, but his aunt and uncle weren’t interested in hearing it. They knew of Lark’s propensity to fight. It was no family secret. It just didn’t happen often.

Every couple years, they would hear about Beige and Sugar’s son going bonkers on some colts. It wasn’t the occasional fighting that bothered anypony. Foals sometimes get into fights. It happens. But Lark went overboard every time, usually against overwhelming numbers, never losing. Lark didn’t look for trouble, but he sure went hog-wild when it came his way.

Until things could be sorted out, Lark would sustain an in-school suspension. Things could get worse, or better. He would have to explain himself to the principal and his teacher, all with his aunt and uncle present. And they weren’t happy about this. They had business to attend to. Welcome to “parenthood”. And Lark wasn’t happy about this. A lot of feelings were buried shallow and now he had to dig them up. What would they do to him?

The thing that bothered Lark most was his sisters’ upset at his actions. They were upset that he was attacked, that he fought as violently as he did and won, that he went to the hospital, and that he was in trouble. He didn’t expect them to understand. What do you say to a little filly when her brother does such a thing? Lark sure didn’t know. Neither did their aunt and uncle. Lark hadn’t communicated with them since first recess the day before.

After a meager breakfast, most had little appetite, Aunt Fairy and Uncle Star led the siblings to the school. Lark, covered in bandages, noticed everypony’s eyes on him as he moved. They looked… ill at ease. He could only imagine the upset caused the day before. He really had no idea what would happen, as he spent the afternoon of the day before out cold.

Valley and Copper went to their classes. Lark hoped they wouldn’t have a bad time of it, but he could only hope. It was out of his hooves.

Sitting down in the principal’s office, Lark saw Ms. Pearlshine. She probably didn’t expect to be there the second day of school, having to deal with some far-off transfer colt. Also present were the principal, Mr. Munchies (Lark tried not to laugh at this. Guy looked scary.), and the vice-principal, Mrs. Flipsy.

Lark noted Ms. Pearlshine. She didn’t look angry; she looked sad. And he hated disappointing her. He’d only spent half the day under her tutelage, but he'd enjoyed it. The principal and vice-principal looked grim.

The colts Lark fought were all under some form of suspension as well. It... hadn’t gone smoothly. Some of their parents had power and were butthurt about this.

The principal opened up. He stated the facts. Foals reported Tuxedo and his friends verbally attacked Lark and that Lark made a fool of Tux, culminating in him threatening Tux. After lunch, one of Tux’s friends held Lark aloft, and they took turns beating on him, including the zap from Tux. That was a big violation, using magic to harm others. Levitation used against others was frowned upon, but it had never been used in such a way to their knowledge. Lark suppressed a snork at that statement...

Then Mr. Munchies explained Lark escaped by temporarily blinding the colt holding him, before bucking Tux, “wrapping one around” the leg of the swing set, tossing another like a rag-doll, beating one into unconsciousness, and finally kicking a “special needs” colt--literally--around the playground until he couldn’t stand up.

Lark internally scoffed at the “special needs” crap. That asshole was right there, bucking him along with the rest of them. Just thinking of his stupid, laughing face still filled him with rage. And he didn’t see the need for this trouble. He defended himself. But what were they going to do? Give him a medal? Later in his life, he would have answered that question with, in a pig’s ass they’re giving me a medal!

But he couldn’t argue with what was said: it was all true. Other than saying he did this to defend himself, and that he thought nothing of trading a few verbal jibes with another student, he had little to say. But he did say this. He chose to omit the fact he sort of… blanked out when he fought. It happened whenever he fought. He also kept to himself why he threatened Tux that morning. Nopony reported to remember why he did it; they only remembered Lark pinning Tux to the wall, but Lark wouldn’t forget the mere mention of his sisters. He wasn’t even asked why.

What came next bothered him. It was no surprise his teacher knew of his past, or the administrators, but he had to sit and listen to his aunt and uncle recap all the heartbreak and misery of the last six or seven years. What a life! From seeing his dad fall apart, to taking care of his sisters from the time he could barely read, to losing his dad... He tried to remain stoic, but the prods tore open such fresh wounds. He wanted to roll up into a ball and cry.

He didn’t listen to much more. And he had nothing more to say. He just saw the sadness in his teacher’s face, the disappointment and resentment shown by his aunt and uncle, and the grimness of the admins. Ms. Pearlshine hadn’t said a word, other than introducing herself to his aunt and uncle. What was there for her to say? It was just her misfortune he was in her class. Not her fault at all.

To recap, he was to serve in-school suspension, not less than one week, or until a final decision was made. He could face expulsion. Or he could walk away from this. Or something in between. Time would tell. Until time told, he would receive private instruction, primarily from somepony holding the lucky position of teaching such foals, but also by Ms. Pearlshine. He wouldn’t find out until much, much later that she volunteered for the job, and she normally would have had little to do with the punishment.

So, after about a half-hour, Lark’s aunt and uncle left. Leaving the principal's office with Ms. Pearlshine still inside, he saw Tux’s parents, who were rather majestic unicorns. His father had the same stupid coat as his son. Apparently, Tux was “too traumatized” to be there, and he wasn’t present. The looks they gave him… whew! And the looks they gave Ms. Pearlshine! It sickened Lark. She introduced herself and they looked at her as if she were pus. He could feel his heart seize up in his chest, seeing her vulnerable expression, watching the door close on that room. Within a second of the door closing, he heard screaming.

Trying to set aside his hurt, he walked down the hallway. He got a drink of water. Passing by classrooms, he ducked. It wasn't all that long until recess.

Well, no recess for him. Not for a while. He was glad to be alone. He’d had enough stares for the day. He probably wouldn’t see much of his classmates; he was restricted to the “remedial/utility” room. He would eat there, and he would use the bathroom housed there. That’s where he was headed. Surprised at not having an escort, he decided they wanted everypony on deck to deal with those assholes, Mr. and Mrs. Parade.

What a couple of days... And he may be gone soon! He had no idea what would happen. He was curious why things turned out this way. What kind of power did panda-colt’s parents have? Was the administration really willing to take an ass-fucking from them, instead of telling them, go to Hell, your colt’s a turd? Was that colt really the one that ran the playground? He’d only been there half a day to see, but it seemed so. How did that joker stay in power?

Lark unseated him with only a little more difficulty than if Tux had been a drowned rat floating in a bucket of piss, and his little pecker-head minions the imagined rat’s postmortem shit. Sure, he got the tar beaten out of him by a bunch of gutless unicorn pansies and fainted after he’d had his fun, but it had been remarkably easy to win, in retrospect. He’d swiped their balls and cast them to the four corners of Equestria!

Ergo… he tried not to worry. He’d been through plenty in his life. He’d just take the week and see what happened.

Lark made it to the room, and he found himself alone in a small space. The room was plain. There was a clock, a calendar, a whiteboard, a small restroom, a door leading elsewhere, and not much else besides a table. He was taking in the unimpressiveness of the room, when he heard somepony enter through the door leading elsewhere. It was a grizzled stallion, an incredibly old Earth pony. He ambled in.

“You must be Lark,” he said. “I’m Mr. Chippy. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to see any foals in here for a while.”

Lark tried to look at him evenly. It was hard.

But then the old fellow’s eyes lit up; it was like his inner colt was shining through, “I think you set the record, Lark. It's just your second day here, and they put you with me. I kind of retired 16 years ago, but they let me keep an office here. I substitute teach when they need somepony, or I just give advice when it’s asked. And I usually wind up with cases like yours. I’ve been here for… 60, 61 years.”

Lark's mind jolted. 60 years?

He chuckled, “You see a lot of things when you get to be my age. But I’ve never seen a playground ruckus like what you put up yesterday.”

Lark did had a few more seconds to think. 16 years? When he retired? This guy was ancient. He had to be pushing 85. Of course, he kept his mouth shut.

The old stallion continued, “But we’re not here to talk about glories or regrets. We’re here to learn. And you’re with me until those jokers in the office decide what to do with you. So, let’s try to get along and keep you in the loop. I’ll be teaching you until the last period of the day. Your teacher, Ms. Pearlshine, will be seeing you at the end of each day, to make sure you’re on par with her material, while your class has gym outside. Any questions?”

Lark had none. He shook his head. It was the first response he’d given since nodding that he was indeed, Lark.

“Can’t ya talk, kid?”

“I can.”

“The quiet type, eh?”

Lark considered, “Not really, Mr. Chippy. Just don’t have much to say today. Feeling a little… humbled.”

At this, Mr. Chippy laughed, “I heard you were an interesting colt. I think this week will be fine. And I hope you stick around, but we’ll see. For now, let’s get started.”

Due to the mischief from the day before, his class had been unable to cover the afternoon topics and had supervised quiet reading in place of them. Ms. Pearlshine had been preoccupied, Lark being her student, so she had some catch-up with the class.

Ms. Pearlshine had given Mr. Chippy the lesson plan for both days, so they ran through math and language before lunch.

Lark sat and ate alone in the little room, while Mr. Chippy slunk off to his office, Lark suspected, for a quick nap. Lunch was okay, if plain, and that was nothing to complain about. There wasn’t much he turned his nose from.

Next came Lark’s least favorite topic, social studies. Mr. Chippy ran through it, and Lark was unable to hide his disinterest.

“What’s wrong, Lark? You were fine earlier. Don’t tell me you’re bored. In my day-”

“It’s not boredom, sir, it’s… something else.”

The old stallion was nonplussed, “Then... what?”

Lark couldn’t help it; he was in a mood, “This crap isn’t history. Nopony cares about the planting of the first “Friendship Garden” in Canterlot. I don’t, anyway. It’s mush.”

Going on, about to realize what he was spouting, “My dad had a history collection. It’s mine, now. I’ve read everything he had, and I’ve never seen it in school! I bet nopony even knows how Vanhoover was founded... the war! As old as you are, you-”

He stopped, as he had realized he was spouting. Mr. Chippy looked at him again, as if dazed, and then he laughed again.

“Oh, ho! A colt that actually knows a thing or two! You’re right! I was in the middle of my career when they watered things down. Stupidest thing I’ve ever seen in all my years of teaching.”

Lark contributed, “I remember my dad’s colleagues. Dad was a professor of engineering, but his friends taught history. They went on and on about that!”

Thankfully, the real topic wasn’t banned or actually punishable, it just wasn’t in the curriculum, so talking about it didn’t hurt anypony, which it shouldn’t anyway.

The two of them got so caught up, they shirked the other lessons for a while. After realizing half-an-hour had passed, they got back to it. Reading and science only took a little while. That was all for the lesson plan, so Mr. Chippy took Lark to the gym.

Until the weather turned, gym class was outside, so Lark had free range of the gym. Mr. Chippy had him run laps and set up a floor course to check his agility. The old stallion may not have looked it, but he had coached buckball and hoofball at the school for 35 years. He knew how to put foals through the paces.

He was more than impressed at Lark’s speed and quickness, despite Lark being so sore from his adventures the day before. He suggested Lark go out for a team, but Lark shook his head. He’d never enjoyed sports, much. Mr. Chippy thought it a waste, but couldn’t hold it against him. Things weren’t what they used to be. It was all the red tape and “touchy-feely” nonsense that had him quit coaching, not his age.

They went back to the room, neither dissatisfied with the day. While Mr. Chippy had to teach the malarkey social studies, some of the civics was important. And they would study the material, but he told Lark to look up the 10th Equestrian Summit and bring a short summary of the event. They would discuss it for a short time the next day. The early get-togethers of politicians were the least of his favorite history topics, but it beat whatever dogshit the class would be going over. Pleased with this, he bid Mr. Chippy goodbye, almost forgetting all this was supposed to be a punishment.

The day had been great, using the term loosely, but now he had to face his teacher. That hurt look in her eyes sat at the forefront of his mind. And he didn’t look forward to meeting her.

But meet her he did. She came in a few minutes after Mr. Chippy left. She looked tired. Very tired. Lark was unsure what to begin with, but he didn’t have to.

She closed the door and sat down across from him, her kind face looking strained, “How was your day, Lark?”

Great. The day was great. But Lark couldn’t just say that. Again, he noted how sad and exhausted she looked.

“Today was… okay. I think working with Mr. Chippy will be fine. We made it through your material, and I even got to run off some energy in the gym a little while ago.”

She smiled, genuinely, but wearily, “I’m glad to hear that. Mr. Chippy was--and is--a wonderful asset to this school. He was actually my faculty advisor. Well, me and a couple dozen other ponies. He’s been here for so very long, after all.”

“Yes. 60 years, he said. Just saying it… wow!”

She stifled a giggle, “I know.”

Then neither had much to say. But Lark had some questions, so he just decided to come out and get it over with.

“Ms. Pearlshine? Can you fill me in on anything that’s happened since yesterday? Are you allowed to? I just feel kind of… lost. Mr. Chippy didn’t tell me anything. I didn’t ask him.”

Ms. Pearlshine sighed, “I’ll tell you what I can. The same as you, all the colts involved in yesterday’s… conflict ... were suspended. A couple are in-school, as you are, but a few of them may be facing expulsion. They have caused issue in the past.”

She hesitated before continuing, as if she didn’t want to say it, “You’re the only one to show up today, regardless. Once I was… done with the other meeting, it was quiet this afternoon, in class. Some of your classmates are worried about you.”

This surprised Lark a little. Ponies worried about him? He didn’t think he made much of a good impression.

What he really wanted to say, he wasn’t sure how. But he tried.

Pensively, he began, “I… heard Tuxedo’s parents… when I was leaving the office this morning. I’m… sorry. I’m so sorry.”

This shook her, “What?”

He continued, feeling increasingly upset, “I saw this morning, how upset you were. I’m sorry. They screamed at you… for no reason. After what that Tux and his… friends did to me… And then they think they can just come in, blaming everypony else? Blame you? Your face… This wasn’t your fault! I’m sorry for causing trouble for you.”

He was too upset to continue. He wasn’t crying, but he was so angry he was shedding tears. He wanted to tear the world apart. He shook uncontrollably.

But her touch calmed him down. She held his hooves, and he was astonished to see her crying. Now, he was shaken.

She leaned in, “Lark… don’t think that way. What you did... it’s not your fault they acted that way. I can deal with that. It happens more often than it should. It hurt, but that wasn’t what bothered me this morning.”

What was it, then? Lark couldn’t think what.

“I knew what you and your sisters came from. I’ve known about it since you enrolled, and I saw your name, your most interesting name. I can’t imagine. And hearing your aunt and uncle repeat it… And seeing you. You looked like you wanted to run, Lark. I sat there… I did nothing. I didn’t speak up for you. Maybe there was nothing I could really say, but I sat there and let them all talk down to you.”

Lark was now… well, it was hard to describe how he felt.

“I didn’t know what to say. I’ve never felt that helpless, dealing with a student issue. I’m worried about you… and you don’t seem to even think of yourself. A 5th grader, worried about his teacher? Lark… you’re such a kind and thoughtful colt. Your sisters are blessed to have you. Your aunt and uncle are blessed. And I’m so very proud to have you in my class.

“I hope… I pray… that you get through this. I will try to help as much as I can, but I don’t know how this will turn out… Still, if you need anything, or somepony to talk to, just remember there are ponies in this school, ponies in this world, that would gladly help you. Never forget that.”

With that, she bowed her head. Pulling her hooves back, she removed her glasses. They were spotted with her tears, and she fussed with them. Lark just sat, at a total loss of what to say or do.

Then she tried to marshal a smile, clearing her throat, “Now, did you have any questions regarding the material you and Mr. Chippy went over?”

This roused him, and he merely answered, “No. I think today was fine. I’ll think about it, and if I have some questions, I’ll let you know. I haven’t had a chance to look over all of today’s homework.”

“That’s good, then. I guess you wouldn’t know, but we have a spelling test on Friday. Be ready for it. I may put on a quiz or two next week, but that won’t be set until Thursday, so I’ll let you know.”

She stood up, and he did too.

As they parted for the day, she said to him, “Take care, Lark. I’ll see you tomorrow afternoon. Just try and keep your head up. It’s all anypony can do.”

He stood, feeling small, “Yes, Ms. Pearlshine. I’ll try. I have to go meet my sisters. My aunt and uncle don’t want them walking home alone. Take care.”

“Yes, you go on. Goodbye.”

She went towards the lounge, and he went to find his sisters. And he found them, by the principal’s office, just where he had told them to wait. They looked… scared of him. He didn’t like that, but he couldn’t think of how to deal with it just then. He merely nodded towards the door, and they followed.

By the time they made it out to the playground, it was largely deserted. That was fine with Lark. Less trouble. A few foals watched him, obviously quieting down when they saw him. Lark just moved on, his sisters in tow. As they made their way home, Copper leaned in and nuzzled him. She looked drained. Valley kept close as well, her dark green eyes intent on him. He chuckled, nodded, and she jumped in as well at the invitation, nuzzling him.

With this, he wasn’t so bothered. On the way home, he encountered no misfortune. He hoped he would last the week.

Author's Note:

Glad to see a few people have been reading Larkspur Blossom. Hope you've enjoyed it so far.

Next time, Lark continues his suspension, receives a surprise visitor on the last day of his "captivity", and learns when his expulsion hearing will be held.