• Published 24th Mar 2018
  • 2,430 Views, 277 Comments

My Little Universe: Season 7 - EquestrianKirin



It's a whole new ballgame for Gem and Pony alike. Saddle up!

  • ...
6
 277
 2,430

The Great and Powerful ...

For the time, there had been quite some fun amongst many of Canterlot, and busy as ever was every unicorn there. Autumn surely got many of them going about in the cooler days. Not too hot, but not freezing to keep these ponies inside as they were handling their own days around the place, some playing, some talking, some finding the nearest store for some afternoon shopping.
And amongst it all, stuck in Twilight's Tower, Pink Diamond was left to simply sit there and watch it all go down. Being able to go around Equestria was one thing, but being cooped up in the tower when nopony was around to watch her was something else. Something she simply was NOT liking. She simply sat there, bored as bored can ever be as she stared on outside from the library's main window, her finger tapping on the rim of it. Tap, tapping away, waiting for something to happen. But nothing really did.

Three. Two. One.

"AAAAUGH!" Pink Diamond had it, and fell onto her back. Her hands were over her eyes, angry. "This is so unfair! Since when did this turn into me on lockdown? I can go out of the tower if I want to. Something happen, please!" In her anger, her fist slammed into the ground, making the entire tower shake! A number of books fell down from the many shelves, one bunch of which landed on her head. And worst part was she read all these books already.
The tremors of this slam did get one Unicorn and Dragon's attention, as she rushed right into the main room, swinging the door open.

"What happened?! Everything okay?! What made that shaking?!" Starlight asked, panicked. Or, she was, until she saw a grumpy Pink Diamond sitting on the floor by one of the book shelves, one of the books still on her head. Without a change in expression, nor change in sight, he picked the book off her head and dropped it nearby.

"No one says a word. And no one gets hurt," Pink Diamond simply said. It was a quick fix though, Starlight getting all the books into the shelves again before she and Spike went over to her.

"Cooped up, huh?" Starlight asked.

"Why should I be? I'm a Diamond! Diamonds don't get "cooped up" in a tower!" Pink stated, with a TON of sarcasm. Pink Diamond getting up to her feet.

"Well can't you try to not go off like that? That's the seventh time we had to restack these books," Starlight said.

"What do you mean we?" Spike commented, who was mostly behind to clean things up anyway. Pink really didn't care for that though, and was more upset of being stuck inside Twilight's tower under word of the princesses themselves. She may be a brat, but she knew loyalty had authority, and they weren't Diamond authority but still enough authority. Who could argue with the princesses that could move the sun and moon anyway?

"I don't care about some stupid books. I could think of a million things better to do than stay here and ready through all this! None of them even involve Gems! I mean, seriously!"

"Everybody okay in here?"

Before her rant could continue, Twilight Sparkle came up into the room to see them. She had calmed down a little bit from the rumbles Pink had made, but she still looked slightly frazzled.

"Yeah. Had to restack the books … again," Spike said. Just for one book to slip off the shelf and land on his head. Only Spike. Twilight levitated the book back onto the shelf in question before looking to the others.

"Bout time you got back, where were you?" Pink Diamond groaned.

"Meeting with Celestia and Luna. They just got their message back from the Diamond Authority, and they wanted me to tell you -"

"Let me guess: that I should be stuck in here because I'm "too delicate" or that it's "too dangerous" for a Diamond like me?" Pink Diamond cut in. Twilight paused.

"... Uh no. Actually, they've been wanting to see you, and are going to be coming by sometime this week."

"What? The authority? Coming this week?! Oh no, oh clod, I-I don't have anything to show! I need an empire going, now!" and just like that, Pink Diamond went right off out of the tower, just like that. She didn't use the door, but instead swung open the windows and jumped out. Twilight, Starlight, and Spike stared with blank expressions.

"... O.K."

"K. Uh, Starlight?"

"Yeah, I'll go and watch her," Starlight said, about to go. Her Twilight got to her first.

"No, not just that. Actually I want to start up another friendship lesson for you. And as Celestia will be stopping by later on tonight, she'll see how far you've come in your friendship lessons, and how good a teacher you have," Twilight said, playfully nudging her. Starlight smiled.

"Well, I can't choose. I'm liking all of your friends."

"That's just it: You have to make a new friend!"

… New? Friend? Starlight gulped.

"Uh, new friends? Well, I could just enslave all of Ponyville to do that."

"WHAT?!"

"Kidding, kidding! … I'll get going," Starlight said, heading off out the door. Twilight felt glad it was going to happen one way or another, but just as Starlight had left, Spike began to hear his stomach gurgle, before a burp escaped his mouth to reveal a letter. A bit precise timing for the letter to be dropped off here, and Twilight could recognize the letter as one of the princess's own.

Dear princess Twilight: We've just gotten some word from your friends the Crystal Gems. Namely, the ones who've been off in space to find the missing Gems and "Zoomans". My apologies for arriving a little late, but they've managed to find them, and are currently working their way back home. They've just given us that message earlier this morning. We're unclear when they would officially return, but given how they've just left the White Diamond Space Station not too long ago, it would be some time until they do return. Do take your time to tell the remaining Gems if you could.

Signed: the princesses of Canterlot

~~~~~~

Next thing she knew, Starlight Glimmer was out from Canterlot, and off into Ponyville. She and Pink Diamond were going about the place, and with the idea of being a leader in mind, Pink Diamond wanted to finally get her authority down pact. Topped off with keeping Pink Diamond out of trouble, Starlight was also tasked with making a brand new friend as part of her friendship lessons. It sure left the unicorn a bit at a loss, but as far as the Diamond Authority went, she had to keep proper track of her first.

"Ok, make a new friend. Somepony I've never really met … ok, can't be too hard," Starlight told herself, but she was shaking as much as a bowl of Jell-O with how nervous this was. Twilight's friends warmed up to her after a while, sure, but they were already friends with her "teacher", so that kinda helped her out with it too, but trying to make a new friend entirely was a whole different ballgame. Her thoughts were cut off though when Pink Diamond began her "reign" off with a march through town.

"Attention everypony! Make way for your new leader! Anypony who doesn't follow my instructions are gonna be crying when I'm done!" Pink Diamond said, good and proud. However, many of the ponies … really didn't pay much mind. They've gone through the verses so many times now, this was nothing new.

"... Any of you listening?!"

"We heard you," called one of the ponies, "But we got Twilight already, thank you!"

"SHE told me to start ruling here! Come on, someone bow," Pink Diamond instructed, her hands clapping twice as any Diamond would normally do for their subjects. However, ponies and Gems were not the same thing, and they really didn't bother too much with the giant in their midst.

"Why should we?" called a more disgruntled pony. Pink Diamond marched right up to him, her a giant in comparison.

"Because I'm bigger than any of you!" Pink answered. It did humble the pony a bit, the fact as evident as the clouds in the sky, but as prementioned, it was nothing new. And with Pink Diamond not looking as much of a threat as, say, Sombra, or Tirek, or Nightmare Moon, they weren't really taking her so seriously.

"Hey, get off my petunias!" Pink Diamond turned around, and her foot was actually standing on somepony's flowers, which Pink Diamond quickly got off.

"You're not the boss of me," Pink stated. Starlight quickly got in between her and the other ponies before the situation could've gotten any worse.

"OK, I think it's time for our Diamond to continue on her way," Starlight made clear, her magic moving Pink Diamond away from the place before she could make it any worse. After trotting a good twenty feet away, Starlight placed a grumbling Pink down onto the ground again.

"Pink Diamond, don't do that."

"Why not? I can't rule anything if no one's gonna listen to me!"

"They won't listen to you if you just force them into it. Ponies of Equestria operate a little but differently than Gems on Homeworld."

"How?" Pink questioned.

"Well, for a start, they're not "made" into a role. Look around you, tell me how many look the same?" Starlight pointed out. Pink Diamond looked around at the ponies around her. The more she tried to find somepony that looked the same as another, the harder it got. It was a bit ironic for Starlight Glimmer to be pointing this out to her, with her trying to make everypony "equal" once upon a time. Course, she didn't see that anymore as much, but how else was she gonna get Pink Diamond to see this right?

"Ok, so they're all different, so what?"

"SO, they're not gonna all behave the same way."

"Not the way you're thinking. I'll get my respect out of these ponies, just you watch," Pink Diamond said. Starlight felt herself gritting her teeth on that remark.

"You can't force them to follow you, just try and -"

"A Diamond doesn't put herself at the level of her own subjects!" Pink Diamond cut in, "Besides. I'm sure if an Alicorn like Celestia, Luna, Cadance, and Twilight can handle these ponies, surely a being as powerful as a Diamond could handle it in no time."

"I think you're getting a little overboard," Starlight said. Pink Diamond stretched a bit.

"I'll show you what a Diamond ruler can do. Blue and Yellow got their colonies already, I got a LOT of catching up to do - thousands of years worth!" Pink Diamond insisted, not taking any of Starlight's words seriously. Starlight was getting a little bit annoyed with her, but any lashing at someone like Pink Diamond, and she might have to answer to the Diamond Authority. And this pony was not willing to go and anger any of them, so she sucked it up, and simply followed Pink down the road. Besides, she still had to find a new friend to talk to and get started with. But who to start with -

"Afternoon, Starlight. See you're watchin' Pink today."

Applejack. Starlight saw AJ come on into town with a wagon full of apples to drop off, and by the looks of it, there was quite a lot to be had. The orange mare had seen what was going on, considering the announcement … and commotion. Among other things.

"Hey, AJ. Yeah, Twilight asked me to watch her … and something else," Starlight said. Before Starlight could ask what, Pink Diamond was checking out some of the pink flowers off in a nearby bush, the flowers of which belonged to the local florist. A flower pink like her was sure of her attention, and she was happy to see it.

"Somethin else?"

"Well … Twilight told me to try and make a new friend. N-Not saying you guys weren't good enough, but she wanted me to make a brand new friend - somepony I've never met before, and someone who probably, preferably doesn't know about … you-know-what."

"Looks like you're doin fine with Pink Diamond over there. But if a new friend's what you need, I think I can show ya somepony that'll work just as well for ya."

"Is he or she like … well, her?" Starlight didn't want to be rude about it, but as Pink diamond was trying to "persuade" the florist to give her the pink flowers, the point was pretty clear.

"Eh, don't worry, he's as good a friend as anypony else."

…….

Sweet Apple Acres, as it was autumn, it was a high time for apple bucking, and apple picking for cider season, and with much of the apple family busy as bees working on the season's worth, Starlight found herself heading on into the fields of apple trees. Pink Diamond had joined them afterwards with only one flower out of the bunch she wanted (better than nothing). Pink Diamond went along, tall enough to pluck some apples out of the trees if she wanted to, as they went on over.
Over by one of the many Apple Trees around, they soon took some sight over to another pony in the field, Big Macintosh. He was busy bucking some of the trees, the apples falling down with the power of his back hooves slamming against the bark into some awaited barrels. There was a ton of barrels already set up around practically every tree, so they had a lot to go.

"Starlight. Meet Big Mac," AJ introduced.

"Eeyup," Big Mac said. Starlight was a little quiet at first.

"He's not much of a talker."

"Nnope," Big Mac agreed.

"So is this one of those "pony customs" you do? Knock these … things, out of those?" Pink Diamond asked, looking over an apple in her hand, and "those" referring to the trees.

"Eeyup," Big Mac answered, starting to move off to the next tree, readying his back hooves. One swift buck and the apples fell right into the bucket. Pink Diamond looked around and then thought of something, a smirk growing on her face.

"Is one tree all you can do?" Pink questioned.

"Nnope," Big Mac said, his hoof aimed at some other barrels off nearby. There was plenty, sure, but Pink was not impressed.

"That's it? That's pebble's play. Any Diamond can triple that in one go!"

"Really?" AJ questioned, not convinced. AJ and Starlight glanced to eachother, as Pink Diamond moved on to prove herself. There was more than one way to show one's authority. The process seemed simple enough: knock apples out of trees so they'll land in the buckets. But any pony can simply buck one tree at a time.
So, Pink Diamond lifted up her foot, and gave a strong stomp to the ground. This made the ground all over the Sweet Apple Acres shake and shutter, like a miniature earthquake. And turned out, just as effective: as apples began to fall to Pink Diamond's will. It wasn't all the apples by any means, but a good forty barrels were filled up in no time.

"Ha! Well look at that? Now, you can see that I'm truly the superior, you're free to praise and follow me now."

"... You do know you knocked over all the barrels, right?" AJ pointed out.

"Huh?" Pink Diamond looked off again, this time to where the barrels were already filled had knocked over, and the apples were scattered all over the place. She lost as much as she gained, and ended up with nothing in the end of it. Not a good showing.

"... I meant to do that," Pink said. That would've worked if it actually ended good.

"Eeyup," Big Mac sighed.

"Eeyup. Nnope. … That all he says?" Pink whispered to Starlight. Starlight just shrugged.

"That's too bad you don't talk much: I'd love a good conversation," Starlight admitted. Not the best answer to hear for Applejack. The unicorn started to think over what could be done to fix this little issue of hers. She needed a new friend, but how could that work for a silent pony?
The answer was … questionable.

*FLASH*

"... Eeyup-yup-yup-yup-yup-yup-yup-yup-y-y-y-y-you did something! Whoa! What's happening? I feel really weird! I'm talkin' so much! And I'm so articulate! Enunciating with such precise pronunciation!" Big Mac tried to clamp his muzzle shut, but the second he removed his hoof - "Annie Apple awoke and accidentally ate an auburn azalea! AAAAHHHH! Make it stop!"
And like that, Big Mac bolted off in a panic. Not exactly the best idea ever, and Applejack did not approve.

"W-Well," Starlight said in her defense, "I can't be friends with a pony that can't talk."

"True that," agreed Pink.

AJ's expression didn't change.

"... And, I guess my first instinct shouldn't be to magically command him to act how I want him too?"

AJ didn't need words.

"Alright, I'll change him back!"

This was gonna be harder than they thought.

…….

"The trick in making new friends is to render yourself radiant! A first impression counts a great deal, you know."

From the farmlands, to the boutique. Starlight and Pink Diamond both arrived off to Rarity's boutique to see if they could get some help on this subject, though in the end (as with a few other times for some others), they ended up caught up in one of Rarity's fashion practices, with Starlight being the one to place as a standee for the moment. Pink Diamond simply sat crisscross nearby. Rarity looked the same, but she had a pair of looking glasses on, but not those large reading glasses but more of those thin, designer's glasses.

"I'm glad you all got past my first impression," said Starlight, as Rarity was busily working her measuring tape for some numbers. She got it around Starlight's head, waist, and legs.

"Every creature needs a second chance," Rarity said, checking the numbers. It took Rarity a short bit before she came to the proper conclusion.

"I'm thinking pastel silk here and here with a crinoline underneath," Rarity concluded, floating said fabrics around Starlight as if they were her outfit already.

"You really think this would help me get new friends?" Starlight asked. Rarity smiled, walking behind one of the stand-up blinds.

"With the right outfit, you can do anything darling." And as if to prove her point, Rarity walked out from the otherside in a completely different outfit: a pink dress and bracelet of blue jewels around her hoof. Not bad considering she was behind it for a few seconds. Pink Diamond did start to work the gears in her head on that statement.

"Appearance modifiers can do that much for you?"

"Well, one can learn a whole lot by what a creature wears," Rarity stated.

"So … say if I want to look like a leader. You think a more vibrant outfit can do the job?" Pink Diamond asked. Not saying she didn't like her outfit already, but Pink Diamond did see nopony showing her the respect a ruler should get, and if the outfit did have something to do with it, then perhaps a change in appearance could work wonders for her.

"Well, royalty is known for just flashy and magnificent outfits. But, it's really up to -"

"Can you make something for me then?" Pink quickly cut in. Rarity got thrilled on that question.

"Oh my Celestia: a new outfit for a Diamond? Oh, I've been meaning to work some more human designer's outfit lately. I'd be honored!" Rarity beamed. Pink Diamond smiled.

"That's more like it. I'd like an outfit that tells everything that I am one of the Diamond Authority. Maybe something smooth, glittering, and pink!" Pink Diamond said. Rarity still needed some measurements though, so her measuring tape got to work. With her in a sort of poofy outfit already though, mostly in the shoulders and hips, it was a little more difficult to work with (and much to Pink's embarrassment when Rarity got to her hips). But regardless, Rarity started to work the gears in her own head before going for some more fabrics.

"I have a top-notch idea: a garment of red velvet, a diamond mark at the center for your position of course, with … Ah! with a orchid flair around the shoulders."

One look in the mirror on the idea in mind, and Pink Diamond was sold.

"Perfect! When will it all be ready?"

"Three weeks."

And just like that, the winds stopping blowing in their sails.

"Three weeks?! I can't wait three weeks, the Diamonds are going to be coming this week!" Pink Diamond insisted.

"And Celestia's going to stop by tomorrow," added in Starlight. The outfits were a good idea, but they couldn't wait that long. Rarity could easily see the problem, and tried to think of a solution.

"Oh. Well maybe you two can try the … clearance bin?" It was really just leftover designs from previous outfit ideas, but if one could use them for something, then perhaps it could work. Starlight found a hat and levitated it to her, but the second her horn cut through the hat, they knew it wasn't gonna work.

"Maybe not."

~~~~~~

Meanwhile, outside of Equus, the other Gems in question back on Earth were still doing their own thing. Pink Diamond being in Equestria did stay in their minds, but it didn't stress them out that much, for they knew Pink was in better hands there rather than in a well-known Gem location like Earth.
For the moment, there was actually some bit of action going on. Not in a Gem mission, or something of the sort, but instead it was more in a game of tennis, being played out over by the fields of the barn house. Steven and Connie were watching off nearby in Greg's parked van, as Greg and Jasper were going for a round. Jasper was doing alright after getting the rules down, but Greg was having a bit of trouble keeping up with the naturally powerful Gem.

"Phew. K, Jasper, can't we try and do a light volley?" Greg asked, just to rush and managing to hit the ball over the net.

"This is light. You're just being weak," Jasper said smugly. If Jasper did try to go full force, the ball would be across the county by this point. And her hits on the ball were nothing short of light taps, which were just as strong as a full fledged hit. In one hit, Greg sent the ball flying skyward, the hit finally making him tumble from exhaustion sake. Jasper felt like the winner, and all she needed to do was hit it over to Greg's side to win this. One other watcher though had other ideas.

*WOOF!*

And suddenly, leaped high up to catch up, Blue suddenly jumped out of nowhere, and snatched the ball right in his teeth, as if the game was a game of fetch. Such a delicious-looking ball being tossed back and forth, Blue couldn't resist. After getting the ball, Blue moved back to the van, settling down and chewing on it like one of his favorite bones. It was a pretty quick gesture, and it was gonna be game over anyway.

"Blue," Steven said. Blue looked to Steven, and placed the ball onto his lap, followed by a bark.

"Thank you, boo," Steven said, petting the dog on the head.

"Ready for our round?" Connie then said. Steven was more than ready for it.

"Just let me get your "old man" off of the field first," Jasper said, just for them to hear a wheeze escape him. Moving Greg was pretty easy enough, Jasper lifting him like a sack of potatoes, as Steven and Connie went on up to the playing field.

"I'm getting out of shape," sighed Greg.

"Nah, you're just human," Jasper replied, setting Greg down over by Blue.

"You ready Connie? I'm not holding back this time," Steven warned.

"Neither am I. Show me what you got, soldier!" Connie said. It was a joking remark, but still familiar to an old friend.
Soon their game began, starting with Steven hitting the ball good and hard to get the game started.
Pretty soon, the game was given a good kickstart to it, and both sides didn't hold back for eachother in this game of theirs. Steven had enhanced strength on his side, so each hit was very fast to his fellow half-Gem. Connie though, with some bit of her Gem-enhanced senses in gear, was a bit more accurate with her swings, and some hit even made clear with the very tip of her swing. There was one hit that surely was impressive: in one hit, Steven actually went full force and sent the ball flying skyward a good fifty feet! Steven didn't mean to go in that far, nor knew he could hit THAT hard, but all the same Connie took it in her stride and focused. Her own Gem DNA kicked in, and her eyes could see the precise location of the ball even at full height. In a sort of reverse uppercut swing, Connie actually tossed her racket into the air, it spinning for a bit until it actually struck the ball, sending it right over Steven's head. Guess both sides' gem powers got kicked into gear here. As for the ball, Blue was quick to bolt for it, running fast to try and keep up with it. It wasn't all too easy though with how far the ball went, it bouncing a few times on the pavement. Before Blue could get it though, someone else actually caught it in her hand. This made Blue skid to a stop, seeing who (or what) the figure was, as she quietly went over back to the game.
Yellow Pearl. Her, also joined by Blue Pearl.

"You really should watch where your belongings go to," Yellow Pearl said, tossing the ball back to them. It wouldn't be as odd if it was Blue Pearl, but seeing Yellow Pearl off by herself was a little bit different to see.

"Pearl? What're you doing here?" Steven asked, a bit confused. Both Pearls glanced to eachother before Yellow cleared her throat.

"Presenting the luminous Yellow Diamond," announced Yellow Pearl.

"And the lustrous Blue Diamond," added Blue Pearl.

Did they hear them right? It was a bit of a surprise to them as it would be to … well, anyone. They didn't show up in simply by walking though, but instead, the sounds of a warp beam began to ring out from behind both Pearls. Yellow Diamond and Blue Diamond were now on Earth, much to the shock of the crowd off down below them. Probably good that the Off-Colors were out of the barn for the day, otherwise it would be even more complicated than needed to be.

"D-Diamonds! You're here!" gasped Connie.
Nearby, Jasper gave her respects to the diamonds with the signature hand symbol - taken by surprise that Yellow Diamond would suddenly show up like this. Both Pearls present went to their respected diamonds, the Diamonds letting the others below calm down a little bit.

"Good to be here. I can see you're doing well," Blue Diamond said.

"Eh, you too. Are you two … doing well?" Connie said nervously.

"We haven't been in any catastrophe since our last encounter, if that's what you mean," Yellow said, sounding a bit bored to be honest.

"Oh. Great!" Steven said, thumbs up. Blue Diamond looked over to Greg, who was a bit quiet on seeing such a giant woman with them now.

"Hello," Greg said meekly. Blue Diamond smiled, her hand reaching down, and her finger extended. Greg considered this a sort of handshake (or fingershake), so he did so.

"So … what brings you here?" Steven asked meekly, looking up to Yellow Diamond.

"To check in on Pink Diamond. Though, since you already have Garnet, you probably knew that," Yellow stated matter-of-factly.

"Actually," sighed Steven, "She's kinda been alone lately."

"So she wasn't around to tell you?" concluded Yellow. Steven simply nodded.

"She has been acting a bit more … random lately," admitted Connie.

"Random," repeated Blue Diamond. Blue Diamond knew her Sapphire, and while she can make decisions on the fly at times, being "random" might not be the correct term. Quick-thinker, sure, but Sapphire at least had some decent idea of what she was doing, and some plan with it all. "... How?"

"Well, let's see: she's worked for the Big donut, she went with me and a few of the others on a camping trip, and we followed her to a different universe with talking animals … that sounded so weird out loud." A part of Blue Diamond wanted to ask about that, but another part of her knew better.

"You happen to know where she is?" Yellow asked.

"Garnet's been all over the place, so -" Steven would continue, but Yellow cut him off.

"I mean Pink Diamond. We were going to visit her after here," Yellow corrected.

"Oh! Ponyville probably. She didn't come to Earth since we went to visit Neippon together."

"Good," Blue Diamond sighed. "But, before we do go, Yellow has something to tell you."

"I do?" Yellow questioned. However, Blue and Yellow did have another objective to take care of, and Yellow got the reminder when she saw Blue Diamond seemingly "presented" the others to her. She'll say this: she was glad Steven was present for this. It wasn't all of them, but all the same, still good to see him.

"... Do I have to?" Yellow asked quietly through gritting teeth.

"Yellow."

Yellow groaned slightly, before going over to Steven. The others backed up to give her some space, and it seemed like it was just Yellow Diamond and Steven Universe. Yellow glanced back to Blue before she cleared her throat.

"Steven Universe. … We didn't just come here for Pink Diamond. After some … discussion. I'd want to say … I'm … I uh … I'm s … so …"

"Sooooo … what?" Steven asked, intrigued. Yellow Diamond felt a cringe coming on, but tried to mask it.

"I … I'm … sorry." The last word was quiet and too quick, Steven still not understanding. Blue Diamond moved up to Yellow and while she didn't say anything, Yellow tried again.

"I-I'm … sorry."

"... Sorry? Yellow?" Steven asked, admittedly shocked. Yellow actually flustered a little bit.

"It was suggested that -" Blue Diamond cleared her throat, making Yellow correct herself. "I mean. I may have treated you and your fellow Crystal Gems a little bit uh … unfairly. W-With Pink Diamond … and all that … A-And with her no longer gone, and now we know the full story … I-I can say there's no reason to … put any blame on you, so … I'm sorry. I'm sorry for uh … being so … unfair."
It wasn't really the best apology ever, but hearing Yellow Diamond of all people say their apologies to them was quite something. Seeing her act so … well, so embarrassed by saying this was also a bit foreign for them to see, but with everything, there at least was a good reason for it. Yellow broke the silence again.

"Well. That's all we came to say. If you could go and open the door to Equus for us, then that would be appreciated," Yellow Diamond said, trying to sound formal and important again. Steven paused for a moment or two, before he pulled out his key. That fact was still going to loom over his head for a while yet, but for now, it was one step at a time.

"It's okay. There's no such thing as a good war, right?" Steven simply said, before he walked over to the barn door. It was just big enough for the Diamonds to fit inside. Yellow Diamond didn't answer him, though … a part of it was true, supposedly. Pink's demise was, in the end, was no fault for any of them there. Nearby, the others had their own thoughts about what just happened.

"Boy. I guess Pink was very close to them, huh?" Greg asked.

"Very," sighed Jasper, "… It takes a lot to bring down Yellow Diamond like that."

"I'm very sorry. I know how it is to lose someone you love," Greg admitted, thinking back to another long ago. Jasper paused, and looked over to the other Diamonds, and then to Steven. It didn't take much for this soldier to figure out who it was that Greg had lost before.

"Yeah. Me too."

~~~~~~

Much of the day for Starlight Glimmer and Pink Diamond went on as good as one could imagine it to: they'd find someone in town to hang out with, try to get some progress on either goal, and move on to the next one. Pink Diamond, in her attempts to get some control over her "subjects", and Starlight in her attempts to get a new friend. And more or less, both sides weren't doing so well.
After Rarity's visit, they tried visiting Fluttershy next for a small picnic with her animal friends. The time with them was a bit nice and all, and Angel bunny surely enjoyed his belly rubs Starlight had given him, but however, neither of them really got what they wanted. They were animals. It kinda was self-explanatory.
They went on to try outside of Ponyville after a bit, and did manage to find some of the Gems doing their own things: Steven specifically, so they took a short time to visit Earth. Pink Diamond had only came by there vaguely, and in the end this was no different. There was only so much one can do with seeing Steven's dad, and Garnet doing weekend tennis … as off as that may be.
They even went as far as to try Pinkie Pie for some help, and while the pink mare was willing to comply, it honestly went just as well as the rest of the visits. The try was at Sugarcube corner, but one attempt to give magic to a cake, and they were about done there.

"What is going on? This is Ponyville! If I can't make a friend here, there's gotta be something wrong with me," Starlight figured, as they went along.

"You think you got a problem? Nopony's even bothering to listen to me. How am I supposed to show I'm a member of the Diamond Authority without anypony to serve me?" Pink Diamond asked. It may be different goals, but the feelings' shared between them both. Well, what to do now?

"I don't think everypony's going to just jump at you right away. You're still kinda new."

"So what? Twilight's been telling me stories, you ponies collapse to an overlord all the time!" Pink Diamond stated.

"... And I'll be over here." Starlight went off away from Pink Diamond, a little annoyed more than anything. Pink Diamond was decent company sure, but Pink Diamond was already an acquaintance so Starlight couldn't just go back with her and call it a day. However, good thing for the Diamond and Unicorn, there was one place both sides were aware of that would be good to remove some stress off of their shoulders.

Ponyville Spa.

You can figure where they went off to next.

So, Starlight and Pink Diamond were quick to get an appointment, and sure enough it was just what both of them needed. Pink Diamond felt a lot better for being served to this way with the massages by pony hooves. It wasn't much of the relaxation, but more the fact she felt respected. It was Starlight who felt more relaxation in this massage trip. Starlight glimmer was getting a good massage herself, cucumbers over her eyes and towel wrapped in her mane. Another pony was given the same treatment right behind her.

"This is just what I needed," sighed Starlight.

"Tell me about it," sighed the other pony. Pink Diamond caught wind of this conversation.

"Oh, this is much better. It's hard to find some good help these days. Is it so hard to ask for some service and respect?" Pink asked, as one of the ponies started a massage to her back.

"I know exactly what you mean. Some ponies just don't give you proper respect, no matter how much you try to fix things," the pony agreed. Pink Diamond perked up.

"You're having trouble with that too?"

"Oh yeah. I've been on this tour for a while: I call it "My Humble and Penitent Equestrian Apology Tour"."

"That's a bit of a mouthful," Pink commented.

"It's a working title," she simply answered.

"So, sounds like you're having one of those days too," Starlight said.

"To me, they're all one of those days," the pony stated. The trio shared a giggle, as the ponies of the spa continued their treatments. The other pony sighed in satisfaction.

"I'm going to take a stop here everytime I visit Ponyville," the pony said in a relaxed sigh.

"I'm from around here either. I've been trying to make some new friends, but it's not easy. They won't say it, but I think everypony knows about my past. I've kinda turned … completely and utterly evil?" Starlight admitted. She wondered if that was gonna set the other pony off, but the pony actually didn't act too frazzled by that.

"Yeah, ponies judge me for my past too."

"Finally. Somepony I can relate to."

…….

"Twilight! I got some great - ... what're you doing?"

As this was going on, Twilight Sparkle was busily going about her own business back at her tower. Starlight and Pink diamond were gone for quite a while, so with the quiet time, she and Spike both were handling some of their own bit of pastime, when Starlight and Pink Diamond got back.

"Oh, hey girls. Me and Spike are doing a bake-off! Good time you got back, because we sure could use a judge," Twilight said, who at the moment was wearing a chef's hat. Spike had finished his batch off nearby.

"My cauliflower bites blew her sweet potato muffins out of the water!" Spike said, confident in his ability in baking. Twilight levitated a potato muffin and a cauliflower bite to Starlight for her to try, the Unicorn taking a bite out of both.

"They're both delicious, but listen: I made a new friend!"

"WE made a new friend! Isn't that sweet?!" Pink Diamond added, also excited. This did perk up Twilight a whole lot.

"That's fantastic, who is he? Er, or she, I don't wanna assume here," Twilight asked.

"She's great!" Starlight said.

"Great!"

"She's powerful!" Pink said.

"Wait, powerful?" Twilight questioned.

"Hello princess."

Twilight paused when she heard that voice, and looked passed Starlight and Pink Diamond to find a Pony she had tangoed with already. Somepony that she met three times now: twice as a Unicorn, and once as an Alicorn with the other Gems.
Trixie Lulamoon! Twilight Sparkle could recognize that unicorn anywhere, and Twilight was left a bit surprised seeing her here.

"TRIXIE?!"

"You two know eachother?" asked Pink Diamond.

"We've had our differences, but Twilight's given me a second chance. Isn't that right, princess?" Trixie explained. Twilight glared a little, but Twilight did her breathing practice before going to the situation.

"Right. So, what brings you back to Ponyville, Trixie?" Twilight asked, slightly skeptical. Trixie tossed her cape in a dramatic stance.

"The Great and Powerful Trixie is going to make her grand performance of magic and illusion: The Humble and Penitent Trixie's Equestrian Apology Tour."

"Working title?" asked Spike.

"Working title," replied Trixie.

"Oh. Well, congratulations Starlight. It's nice to see that you're making a new friend, but -" before Twilight could finish up another message suddenly went through to them all in the form of Spike's letter from the princesses. It was enough to cut her train of thought on one subject and focus on another. Trixie cringed a little in disgust on the way the letter was delivered.

"Another message?" wondered Twilight.

"What's it have to say?" asked Starlight. So, Twilight began to read it out.

Dear Twilight Sparkle: Just thought you'd want to be aware, that the previous message of the Diamond's arrival has been incorrect. They've actually just arrived now into Equestria, and requesting to see how Pink Diamond has been doing. Our apologies.

Signed: the princesses of Canterlot.

"WHAT?!" Pink Diamond's voice shook up the tower. Since when did "sometime this week" turn into today?! Trixie had to readjust her hat, Twilight following suite with her chef's hat. Her voice had enough punch as that of royal Canterlot of the princesses of old.

"Y-You gotta be tumbling my rocks - they're here already?! I got nothing to show, NOTHING! What am I gonna do?!" Pink said in panic, trying to figure out what the heck to do.

"Hey, hey, easy. Who says you have to show them anything?" Spike asked, trying to bring Pink Diamond back around.

"Stop that! This isn't just some fancy Gem group like the Crystal Gems, this is the Diamond Authority! Yeah, okay, they've been acting more open lately, but seriously, I need to show something to show them my progress while here! If I don't they won't think I'm ready to be back out here! I-I'd be taken back to Homeworld and put under training all over again!" Pink Diamond fell to her rear, clutching her knees in worry. O did this feel familiar.

"Pink, come on. Why would they put you in Equestria if they didn't think you'd be ready to get back to … well, whatever you Diamond do?"

"Oh, I don't know. Because I'm too delicate, and too important to lose. Oh, and I almost forgot: This place isn't even my colony to begin with?!"

"Got him there," Starlight commented to Trixie. Trixie didn't had time to deal with this though.

"Right, well as you deal with your "little crisis", I need to get my show ready for tonight," Trixie said. The performer began to go off to the door, but before she could leave, Pink Diamond suddenly was right in front of her.

"Did you say tonight?" Pink asked, now with a hopeful grin on her face. Trixie stepped back.

"Uh … yeah?"

"PERFECT, YOU'RE HIRED!"

"For what?" Trixie questioned. Pink Diamond's eyes were starry by this point (diamonds in her eyes instead of stars).

"The Great and Powerful Trixie's "Humble and Penitent Equestrian Apology Tour", performed live in front of the Great Diamond Authority! I'll present it as my gift to them, they'll see how amazing it is, and that'll prove that I'm great enough to strike out on my own colony!" Pink might be a little too caught up in the moment there, but she was determined to make this work out somehow.

"My act in front of royalty? It would surely give my act a prominent boost … and spread my apology across," Trixie figured.

"So it's settled then! I'll go find them and tell them the good news," Pink said, and before they could try to stop her, Pink Diamond was off and running to find the other two. Trixie took a breath.

"Well, if my grand show is gonna be performed in front of royalty, than the Great and Powerful Trixie needs to pull all the stops to be sure this is the greatest act they'll ever see," Trixie concluded. While sounding confident, Trixie was feeling put on the spot on this decision. At least before in her tour she had a choice on the matter, but now it was more on her to do so for someone else's sake. It was enough of a surprise performing with Twilight for the horses of Saddle Arabia and Celestia.

"... Any suggestions?"

"Wish I could help. Oh, but I'm supposed to meet Celestia tonight," Starlight sighed. Twilight took a moment to think about this dilemma of theirs, and then the Alicorn found a compromise.

"Maybe you won't have to."

"Huh?"

"The Diamond Authority is going to see the show, right? I can invite Celestia to see it too. That way, she can see your progress, and you can help Trixie with her upcoming act. Two for the price of one!" Twilight felt good for coming up with the plan, and in the end it actually did sound pretty well-planned (if not convenient). Starlight shared a hug with her mentor.

"Thanks, Twilight. You won't regret it!" and with that, Trixie and Starlight both began to go, leaving Spike and Twilight alone again. The alicorn took another look to the letter she had gotten, presumably from the Canterlot princesses Celestia and Luna.

"I hope not."

~~~~~~

And so, things got busy: with Twilight talking to Celestia about the show, and Pink Diamond trying to find her fellow Diamonds, Starlight and Trixie both were doing the big event for tonight. Trixie had a traveling caravan going through town, so she and Starlight Glimmer met up there to try and get the upcoming show together after the stage was set up. As a show pony, Trixie had a whole lot on retainer to sort out and work with: magic handkerchiefs, magician's boxes, a magic hat or two, that sort of thing.

"This is gonna be the greatest show Ponyville's ever seen," Trixie said.

"Let's hope so: there's a lot to build up for this show now. You sure you can handle it?" Starlight asked, as she used her magic to get some supplies out.

"It isn't the first time I've performed in front of a big crowd. The Great and Powerful Trixie's just gotta step up her game," Trixie made clear.
With them trying to get everything together, some other ponies from the neighborhood saw Trixie off nearby, and they actually began to talk amongst themselves, just loud enough for Starlight and Trixie to hear them both. The exact look on their faces, and the overall discussion indicated nothing really friendly, and more suspicious towards the blue Unicorn in question.

"They say they'd forgiven you and will give you a second chance, but deep down, they never forget," Trixie sighed.

"That's what I'm worried about," Starlight sympathized. Trixie simply sighed, and got back to work out her various magic tricks and objects for the big show. Starlight was checking one of the magic hats when -

*psst*

"Hmm? … you say something, Trixie?" Starlight asked, just able to hear the noise. Trixie though was too pre-occupied to make said noise, nor to answer Starlight.

"*psst*. Starlight?"

Now she knew it wasn't her. Starlight looked around for a bit, but then she saw a purple hoof stick out from a bush not too far away, waving for Starlight to come over. Starlight glanced back to Trixie one more time before she moved over to the bush, just to find it was Twilight hiding in there.

"How's it going with your new friend?" Twilight asked in a hushed voice. Was she for real?

"Great. By the way, thanks for asking in a totally not creepy way," Starlight sighed, rolling her eyes.

"I'm sorry. But, m-maybe if Trixie doesn't work out, I could introduce you to a new friend," Twilight suggested. Starlight couldn't believe her ears.

"What?" Starlight gasped in disbelief.

"Eh, well, I know I said make friends with anypony, but … maybe she's not the best idea for a first best friend," Twilight explained, front hooves tapping together as she tried to say it the best was possible. Starlight though could see past the "friendliness".

"You did say anypony, and I just assumed that you'd trust me to make my own friends the way Princess Celestia trusted you," Starlight retorted in annoyance.

"I know, but Trixie hasn't been the nicest pony. Her last two visits hadn't been the best for Ponyville, just because -" suddenly Twilight felt her mouth being clamped shut by Starlight's magic.

"Twilight! If I wanted to know something like that, I want her to tell me, not you," Starlight quickly made clear. Twilight sighed.

"Sorry, I'm just trying to look out for you," Twilight said.

"Well, you're wrong about Trixie. She's just like me - we have a connection," Starlight insisted, both ponies looking to Trixie, who was fishing out some on-stage rope to get some ideas. Twilight didn't feel convinced though.

"That's kinda what I'm afraid of."

"Seriously?!" gasped Starlight, a bit hushed but still loud. "I know you're trying to help, but I need to make friends on my own if I'm going to become a better pony."

"But do you really think Trixie's the one to help you with that?" Twilight suddenly asked. Starlight had enough of this, and turned away in a huff.

"Wow. Trixie was right. You're not really giving her a second chance. I wonder what that says about how you feel about me." And with that, Starlight moved away, leaving Twilight alone to her bushes. Starlight paused and glanced back, but suddenly found Twilight was gone. Well, so much for a follow-up.

"I heard what she said."

Starlight suddenly stopped and found Trixie had overheard their little conversation there. While it would've been weird to see somepony talking to a bush, Trixie was smarter than that, plus she saw Twilight there already.

"And she's right. I was not the nicest pony, so I understand if you don't want to be friends with me," Trixie sighed.

"You kidding me? You're the first pony I've met who has any idea how I feel!" Starlight insisted. Trixie was glad to hear that, but then she made a quick check to be sure they were alone for a moment or two. Twilight wasn't anywhere, and neither was anypony else, so …

"Can you keep a secret?" Trixie asked.

"What're friends for?"

"The things I've done? I did them because I was jealous of Twilight. She's just the best at everything, and I wanted to beat her at something!" Trixie admitted. Starlight took a moment and looked around the place.

"But that's not true. You're better at magic."

"Only when I'm wearing some soul-sucking evil amulet, so I don't think that counts."

… what?

"long story, don't wanna get into it."

"I'm talking about stage magic," Starlight corrected.

"Oh! Well, yeah of course! Am I great? Naturally. Powerful? Absolutely! But … I'm not the best. I just need to figure out what will work for tonight," Trixie explained, as she continued trying to work out a few different tricks of the trade. Going around the field for a while, Trixie had did her fair share of multiple magic tricks already: rabbit out of a hat, magical snake rope, she even wrapped a rainbow around a Pegasus before. but if she was going to perform in front of royalty from both Equestria AND beyond, she needed something big. No, HUGE. Something that'll knock em' dead and back to life again. But what could work?

"Wait. Was there any magic tricks or acts you didn't do yet?" Starlight asked, getting an idea in her head. She had thought up of one thing, but she needed to be sure it wasn't a repeat act first.

"Oh, I've done A LOT of tricks, there's not one I've missed … well, almost."

"Almost?" Starlight asked.

"Well, there's this one I've always wanted to do, but could never figure out how. That, and it was only performed once in all of performance history! The greatest trick the devil ever pulled …"

"Wait, wait, don't tell me," Starlight said, trying to work out the idea in her head. "Is it the Moonshot manticore mouth dive?"

"The one by Hoofdini? That trick is amazing, yes, but the one I'm talking about is FAR more incredible."

"What could be more incredible than that? Hoofdini was eaten by a Manticore, and he reappeared completely unharmed!"

"I know, he's amazing - my hero! But there was this one act he did that was his ultimate farewell: It's is known as "The Rise of the Equine Phoenix"!"

"Never heard of that one," Starlight admitted, scratching her head. Trixie began to look through her wagon next for some proof of this claim. Starlight heard some stuff being moved around inside for a bit, until Trixie popped back out with the only main evidence that this act even existed at all: an authentic poster for the very show in question. It showed a unicorn seemingly surrounded by fire, upright like a human being with his front hooves out stretched, eyes closed, and the signature bird in the background with wings spread behind.

"It's his most dangerous stunt: high above the stage, he would wrap himself in chains, and place himself inside a chained box, high above a burning inferno. He would enter the box, the crowd hearing him struggle as the ropes holding it up burn away. One rope snapped. And another rope snapped. The box would fall and smash right over the burning inferno, disappearing in a blaze! … Just for the great Hoofdini to appear before the crowd, completely unharmed!"

"That sounds -"

"Dangerous?" Trixie cut in.

"I was gonna say cool!"

"I knew I liked you for a reason," Trixie said smugly, the two unicorns sharing a high-hoof. Well, after hearing that trick, there was no doubt on what kind of act they would be doing now.

~~~~~~

Time continued on by for everyone within Ponyville, and as Luna's well-known night began started to dawn, the show was almost ready to begin. Despite much of the ponies still questioning Trixie's overall state, there was quite a crowd going about outside the stage, which itself had a full up (and surprisingly detailed) poster of Trixie's apology tour for them to see. Many of the ponies were wondering when the show would start, and along with them: the Diamond Authority actually got themselves a seat off behind the crowd. With them so tall, it was probably good for them to stay behind and watch, plus it was pretty easy to see the stage from their position anyway.

"So is this the presentation you wanted to show us, Pink?" Blue Diamond asked.

"Yes, of course! I made sure this all is perfectly presented. My gift, to you!" Pink Diamond said. This was not her idea, but she wanted it to be made out that way. It was something from her time here.

"Well, that's … thoughtful. This presentation going to begin soon?"

"Oh, any moment. … I hope."

"It is a bit questionable in it's title though," Yellow noted. "The Humble and Penitent Trixie's Equestrian Apology Tour?"

"It's a working title!" shouted a distant voice from the stage. Trixie, peeking out from the curtains, had heard just a vague idea of the Diamond's description during the fix up, but seeing them now (after she yelled), Trixie felt more than humbled as quickly went backstage.

"Oh Luna, those are the Diamonds?"

"I told you they're pretty big."

"I thought you meant big as in "Canterlot royal family" big, not "the size of a house" big!" Trixie retorted. In the world of ponies, the Diamonds might as well be. Trixie tried to calm herself down, and both unicorns peeked out to the crowds. They could easily see the Diamonds, sure, but among the crowd also was actually some of the Crystal Gems and Mane Six. Not all of them, but still noticeable there. The princesses apparently hadn't arrived just yet, but it was still a bit of a crowd nonetheless.

"Ok, ok, keep it together. This is gonna be the best night of their lives! And our lives."

"Yeah, I'm glad I could help. We just got to wait for Celestia and Luna to come. They should be arriving anytime now," Starlight noted, taking a look off to the crowds. If what Twilight said was true, then this would be more than proof enough that friendship had done well for Starlight. Still, where were they? Or Twilight for that matter?
It was then both mares heard a sound ring out behind them, and they found the backdoor to the stage wide open. Standing there, much to their admitted confusion, was Twilight Sparkle. And she did not look too happy at all.

"Starlight, there you are! Where were you?"

"I was … setting up for the show?" Starlight questioned, but apparently Twilight was not happy at all.

"I've sent you a letter earlier this morning - several letters: Celestia couldn't come, and NOW she's waiting back at my tower right now waiting for you!"

"W-WHAT?! Wait, I didn't get any letter today," Starlight insisted.

"Of course. This is why I didn't want you to make friends with Trixie," Twilight groaned, very cross. Starlight didn't get it: they made it clear that the princesses would come by, and when would a letter come by? Starlight didn't remember any letter at all since she had left the tower the second time around to get things prepared.

But then came Trixie.

"A-ha! You still don't trust me! But guess what, princess? It doesn't matter if you want to give me a second chance or not. Starlight had to choose between you and me, and she chose me! Your pupil chose me, so ha! I win!" Trixie declared. There was a bit of a pause on that final statement, Starlight a bit confused.

"Wait … you. Win? … That sounds like you made friends with me just to beat Twilight."

"Exactly!"

Well that was the kicker. Starlight's gasp was heard loud and clear, and Trixie actually didn't realize what she just said until she turned and saw Starlight's shocked face. The face quickly turning to sadness.

"W-Wait, Starlight, I got caught up in the moment," Trixie insisted, "I want you to be my friend. Beating Twilight was just a bonus!" The blunt Unicorn quickly saw the words fly out again. "OH! That wasn't the right thing to say, was it?"

"I should've known. Nopony else wanted to be my friend … Why would you?!"
Starlight Glimmer had about enough. So, with tears coming down her face, she charged out the back door, and galloped off out of sight. Trixie came out and tried to stop Starlight to better explain herself, but it took little time before the Unicorn was gone and out of sight. Her only true friend, and Trixie screwed it up over her own need to beat the alicorn princess of Friendship. Speaking of, Twilight stepped out from the stage, and looked down to the blue unicorn.

"Well, Trixie. You won. I hope you're happy now."

"Looks like the Great and Powerful Trixie is back to a solo show," Trixie sighed. Trixie, teary eyed, was about to head off back to the stage. Her show still needed to be performed, partner or no partner, and as any performer knew: the show must go on. No matter how much it hurt.
Trixie was about ready to continue her talk to the friendship princess, but as she turned around, she took a glance to the waiting crowd. She saw the Crystal Gems, the Mane six, the Princesses, the Diamond Authority -

… the princesses? Trixie went off towards the very edge of the stage, peeking around, and sure enough, there was Celestia and Luna and … Twilight?

"Wait a second."

And turning around, Twilight was gone …

…….

Well. There's nothing for it. As prementioned, a show needed to happen, and after calming herself down, Trixie took one more look out from the curtains to the audience. It was a full crowd out there, royalty evident as well. Trixie was in full uniform, cape and wizard's hat included. She felt awful for just jumping in like that, her ego losing the first ever true friend she ever had. But what was she supposed to do? Regardless if that was the Twilight she was thinking of or not, it wasn't that who put those words in Trixie's mouth. She'll have to try and make amends … if she could make it passed the most dangerous act ever, that is.

"Starlight? If you're out there. Please forgive me. Let's be great and powerful together … please?" Trixie said, hoping that Starlight was somewhere in this crowd. Or anywhere nearby at all. Still, an act is an act, so the humble and now friendless Trixie got on her acting face, and went on to begin the show. The curtains opened, and the spotlight was on her, though she didn't feel as much "oomph" as she had earlier, so it wasn't as strong.

"Come one, come all. Come and see "The Pathetic and Friendless Trixie's Way-To-Go-Dum-Dum-You-Really-Messed-It-Up-This-Time Repentance Tour"."

And they thought the first title was a mouthful.

"It's a working title!" Trixie shouted. After regathering herself, she began to work out the act in question. Trixie could see the Diamonds looked a little puzzled too (how could she not?), so she went on and continued with the presentation.

"Raise your gaze to above the stage," Trixie instructed, as the spotlight shown the box in question, which itself looked very locked up, put in such a way that if someone were to close it, it would lock up tight. The box hung up on a few bits of coiled rope, which themselves looked kinda flimsy as it was. Trixie moved aside as the back curtains moved to show what looked like a fire pit.

"For tonight," said the unenthusiastic Trixie, "The Great and Powerful Trixie shall be performing "The Rise of the Equine Phoenix"."
They mention of this move did bring forward some gasps of excitement from the crowd, but very little actually had an idea on what this act even was.

"The Rise of the Equine Phoenix?" Luna wondered.

"I haven't seen that be attempted in … ever," Celestia said. Hearing this made Twilight Sparkle a little nervous, as she continued watching the act being set up.

"I will be bounded down, and locked inside this box, as the ground underhoof will be set ablaze. But save your gasps and breaths, for I will rise from the flames, and defy the grip of the flames of Tartarus when I reappear before your very eyes," Trixie explained, but her tone just wasn't in it. Soon the crowd found out why, as she took off her hat for a moment.

"I was supposed to perform this trick with my great and powerful assistant, who was also my great and powerful friend!"

"Starlight?" Twilight wondered. This was getting confusing for the group, especially Twilight Sparkle. A part of her did figure something would happen, but what exactly she wasn't sure of. Then Trixie started to get herself positioned for the act to begin. With the box itself high above the stage, Trixie used a small bit of magic to create a spark in the pit, the pile quickly turning into a raging inferno, much to the surprise of the crowd. Trixie even felt a little nervous, but she gathered her nerves, and with a ladder placed nearby, she climbed up to the upper balcony to get into the box, the spotlight on her the whole way. The whole crowd was watching her, and when Trixie got to the top, she looked out across the crowd to the hills behind the stage.
And Starlight Glimmer was looking miserable: sitting all by herself. Trixie may not be able to see it, but it seemed the tears coming from Trixie's face was from Starlight as well, as the admittedly reluctant mare got the chains wrapped around her in knots. She balanced herself on her two back legs during this, and with one more look to the crowd below her, fell into the box. The vibration from that alone not only knocked away the ladder, but made the box clamp shut, locking itself.

"She's just going to teleport out of that box," sighed Yellow Diamond, a little bored, "It couldn't be that complicated."

"Oh, do try to be appreciative, Yellow. This is Pink's present to us," Blue insisted. Pink Diamond silently hoped this was going to be more interesting (and not go horribly wrong). All Pink did was smile and give a thumbs up, though she looked pretty nervous for this all being her idea.
For Starlight, she was watching all of this from further away, feeling more alone than ever, and with a droplet of tears being in her eyes. The unicorn was also getting a bit worried about the act, and where this was going. They didn't really rehearse it for too long, nor did it really appear that poor Trixie was going to be getting out of it like this. With the glowing light of the fire able to be seen from her position, Starlight Glimmer could just imagine what Trixie had said, especially about the box collapsing onto the fire and burning away to ash.

"This is a disaster. I can't believe my own friend was just trying to use me like that … Oh, if I knew this would happen," Starlight said to herself, wiping away some tears with her hoof. She sure felt sad. Her first true new friend and it was nothing but a ruse to get Trixie a better cut above Twilight. … Twilight …

"All the same, I never got any letter saying they wouldn't come. … I'm sorry, Twilight, if I managed to figure it out sooner, I -" and then she saw the crowd. She hadn't seen it since going out that far, too sad to really pay much attention, but as Yellow Diamond readjusted herself, she just managed to catch sight of Princess Celestia sitting there with Luna and Twilight! THAT made her spring up.

"They're there?! But I thought -"

Her mind was cut short when, even from her position, she could hear one of the burning ropes suddenly snap! It sounded almost like a gunshot, and Starlight Glimmer could even feel how Trixie was banging about inside, struggling in the heat and trying to get herself out. Even if she could get out of the chains, what about the box? Starlight Glimmer still had a bit going through her mind … but it just didn't make sense with Twilight's involvement lately. That, and why were the princesses there when Twilight said -

*BANG*

Down went a second rope. The box was being held by two flimsy ropes, dangling dangerously over the burning inferno below.
Trixie was really stuck inside it all. Such a tough time within the box, and Trixie could barely move. She squirmed and struggled with the chains wrapped around her frontal hooves, even using her back hooves to try and bust out, but the chains were not coming off so easily. She could smell the smoke, she could hear the wood cracking and the worried gasps of the crowd. She could feel the growing heat from under her hooves, and the swaying of the box that would be her coffin. She had to get out of this somehow before the box would fall, and from outside, the crowd could see the box getting struck from the inside as Trixie tried to buck her way out. No good, locked up tight. What was a performer to do now?

"Starlight? I'm sorry for what I said. I am your friend, I shouldn't of said that before. I didn't just use you to one up Twilight! Please, you're my first true friend I've ever had!" Trixie's words were dulled out by the fire outside, and Trixie felt another rope suddenly snap. One more rope, and Trixie's lifeline. And the fire was swiftly climbing it to finish the trick off …

"... Please …"

*snap*

That did it. In front of the entire crowd, the box suddenly lost its lifeline, and smashed into the raging inferno! The box shattered open at last, and the flames quickly concealed the box in its fiery grip, an explosion of smoke and flame covering the area. The entire crowd gasped on sight of such a aftermath, horrified, and waiting for something to happen. The fire itself began to slowly calm down, but there was no sign of … well, anything. Nothing on the platform, and nothing in the pit. The spotlight tried to find where Trixie was, the crowd holding their breath until …
There she was. Trixie was alright! … sort of. She had no chains on her, no restraint anymore, though she looked a bit weak, tired, and slightly singed from the fire. Still, other than that, she was still on her hooves somewhat, which were kinda wobbly.

"Be-hold. The pait and growerful … triskeee …" And Trixie fell down onto the ground. Some silence hung in the air for a while … and soon, Trixie heard the crowd roar in applause. That was very impressive, though Trixie, who'd normally be taking in all this applause, was still laying there quietly, still downhearted. That was, until one pony helped her back to her hooves.
Starlight Glimmer arrived just in time to save her, and the act ended as it should. Not as gracefully, but still good all the same. All Starlight needed to show was a smile and a wink to tell Trixie that she was still her friend. Trixie simply smiled.

"And now, I'd like to introduce my Great and Powerful assistant! And best friend. Starlight Glimmer!"
And the announcement brought on more applause, as Starlight and Trixie made their bows. It may have been a little rough, but it was successful all the same. The angry fires had all been extinguished.
Starlight Glimmer and Trixie were all smiles when the curtains fully closed up. After that was done, Trixie and Starlight had a moment together.

"Oh Starlight. Look, I know you might still be mad at me, but I'm very sorry for what I said. I didn't become friends with you just to beat Twilight, I-"

"I know, I know. I'm glad you're okay too," Starlight replied. Both unicorns shared a hug with eachother, and took a peek outside at the crowd. Trixie decided to give them a final show trick, and fireworks started to appear above the stage. A well-profound light show for the end of the act.

And the second Twilight was not happy with the end result, as she flew away from the nearest tree.

Author's Note:

... You know those moments in life when you're going about your day, and suddenly remember something crystal clear WAAAAY long ago? That's what happened here :twilightsheepish:. I was trying to think of the magic act Trixie was gonna do, and suddenly I found myself remembering "The Magic Trick" episode from GoGoRiki. ... Keep in mind, we're in 2018, and I haven't seen this since 2008 :twilightoops:. That, and I've tried to find said episode on the internet, but couldn't find anything on the one episode I needed to see so I had to work purely on memory. ...

It's scary how much I can remember :pinkiecrazy:.

Anyway, that's what lead to the new magic act, if any of you actually remember this at all, I applaud you.

... I've been focusing a lot on the ponies lately, hven't I?