• Published 25th Jan 2018
  • 20,957 Views, 9,165 Comments

XCOM: Ranger - Wanderer D



Sunset Shimmer escapes Equestria... with unforeseen consequences.

  • ...
57
 9,165
 20,957

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 3: Enemy

Ranger

Chapter 3: Enemy

By Wanderer D

Sunset had been cowering inside an old building for what felt like hours, and once she had managed to get a hold of herself, she had started—silently—swearing and cursing at herself. She had left behind the one place where she could—arguably—figure out a way to return home. And all because of what? Zombies?

She snorted, angry with herself at her fear. "I'm more than capable of handling a few—"

Sunset clamped one of her claws on her mouth the moment she heard the cracking sound outside of her building, followed by a hoarse scream. Several of the popping explosions followed again, and she could hear the screeches of the zombie creatures being cut short, until the sounds stopped and then she heard the sound of something crashing against metal.

She heard a gurgling sound and another scream… although this one didn't possess the same feral quality of the zombies. She risked looking out the window and saw two zombies, one of which was grappling and slashing at another creature… but this one was no zombie. It wore dark green armor of some sort that made it look very official. Its face was covered, but it was sentient!

It was clearly injured, with orange blood slowly dripping down a wounded leg. That was odd, but then again, she was in another dimension. It managed to grab past the zombie's flailing arms and broke its neck, both of them falling to the ground.

It was exhausted, and unable to push the other zombie off itself. The last zombie growled and slowly approached, clearly intending to finish the job. The official-looking creature spat and said something most likely offensive, although it wasn't a language Sunset understood.

Later Sunset would tell herself that she knew on some level that she needed assistance and thus the practical thing to do was to help… but regardless of what she told herself later, she was already running. She felt her magic race down the metallic bat as she focused everything on her swing… it was a solid hit. She felt bones crush under her strike, heard them even as the zombie creature went silent and flew to the side, crashing wetly against a wall and sliding down leaving a trail of green goo behind.

Sunset was breathing heavily, either from her magic being drained or the rush of adrenaline, but it only took a moment to realize what she had done. She felt bile rise in her throat, and the desperate need to throw the bat away, but her mind reigned it in. She forced her instincts back; her feelings of guilt or horror had to be squished… she didn't have time for that. She couldn't throw her weapon away.

She had exposed herself to save this other creature and now she was either going to get killed or gain an ally.

Sunset really didn't want to die... she needed an ally.

Pratal looked up, dazed, at the young woman who had saved him. 'A teenager! A human teenager saved me! Pratal Mox!'

He could feel his jaw going slack in surprise for a moment, before his thoughts focused. There was little reason for a female human teenager to be in the middle of the city unless she was part of one of the Native tribes that still refused to join the cities.

But she looked too clean and too scared to be used to this. He could see her stealing horrified glances at the bodies, but still forcing herself to concentrate on him and to the matter at hand.

Pratal seldom felt anything but contempt for humans, but despite himself, he felt a slight respect for such a vulnerable creature taking such a risk.

"Can you move?" The girl asked, as if unsure she'd be understood.

"I can," Pratal said, carefully judging her expression. "I would like to thank you for your assistance, citizen."

He watched for any sign that might betray a negative reaction to that statement, but found himself surprised to see relief, rather than an immediate urge to deny any connection to ADVENT as any Native would present. And her disposition clearly indicated that she was no rebel.

"Thank Ce—goodness," the girl stammered, offering her hand to him to help him up.

Prodded as he was against a lampost, it was enough assistance to allow him to stand and they both stared at each other awkwardly. She wasn't dressed in a way that could prepare her for this kind of thing. Jeans and a leather jacket… very antiquated looking, in comparison to modern wear at the cities.

But there was something else. Something was different about her, although he couldn't really place his finger on it. He felt less on edge than he did with humans in his experience so far. Perhaps it was simply that she had rescued him? Regardless… "We should head out," he said, pointing towards the edge of the city. "There is an ADVENT outpost in that direction, I can ask for backup. They will pick us up and drop you off in a center to be allowed back in the city."

"Great. Paperwork," the girl muttered. She studied him up and down, and despite his obvious size compared to her, she didn't seem intimidated at all by him. "My name is Sunset Shimmer."

"Pratal Mox."

That was all they said to each other for the next hour or so, choosing to move slowly towards their destination. The girl was alert, if untrained, which helped put his mind at ease in some ways… clearly she wasn't an agent of some sort. While that was encouraging, her jumpiness and lack of focus would create more trouble for them if it wasn't fixed.

In the end, against what his training had indicated, he had started coaching the girl on basic survival skills. What to look for. What to listen for. How to move decisively from cover to cover, in order to lower the chances of being seen. He had depleted his ammo, and she had no guns on her, but perhaps that was for the best in this situation… less chances of her missing the shot and hitting him instead.

He had focused then on teaching her how to grip her weapons, although she had looked at him blankly when he had explained how to position her hands until he had shown her what he meant. She had taken to the simple knife techniques with undisguised relish, and he had to admit, some talent. She could definitely be trained to be a soldier, with enough time and the right environment. As it was, most of what she was learning would prove useless in a sudden confrontation—there was a reason real training was repetitive, but his intention was mainly to get her to feel a bit more comfortable and secure, not for her to face down a torrent of enemies.

Whoever she really was, she was a quick study, however, and soon enough was doing a passable job of keeping watch. For an untrained rookie. If they made it to safety he might recommend her joining ADVENT… a quick flash of what would happen to her ran through his mind and he quenched the sudden uneasiness. He had never questioned the process, but something about her made it almost… difficult to contemplate.

"Sunset, wasn't it?" Pratal asked when they took a break to sit down. She was keeping an eye out of the building they had hidden in while he replaced his bandages. "You don't seem like a warrior or renegade, how is it that you are in these ruins?"

She gave him a look. "Accident. I wasn't trying to come here, I just got side-tracked and ended up in this messed-up place with those creatures." She seemed reluctant to say more. "So… what about you? Are you here for those creatures?"

Pratal steeled himself, cursing silently the fact that he had not anticipated this. As a captain, he had much more individuality than others of his species, and more freedom of will and thus more chances to… develop affection for lesser beings. Most likely the loss of blood had made him slightly delirious. Of course Sunset would not be set free. At best she'd be imprisoned, interrogated, and then...

"I suppose there is no point in denying it. I was leading a troop of ADVENT soldiers in ridding the city of the Drak-ten. This is sensitive information and ADVENT does not want citizens to know such a risk still exists. They are being purged."

Sunset shuddered. "Good. Those things have no reason to exist."

Pratal chuckled and took that as a sign that he was ready to go again. His wound still hurt, but the bleeding had stopped and the new bandages were tighter and more secure. It would still be a few hours, but he would make it.

As they carried on, and with a surprisingly scarce need to advice Sunset on how to do better at her current efforts, he decided to distract himself, pointing out vantage points for scouting, sniping or even strategic retreats. Sunset was an attentive student, and listened intently to his description of previous firefights against insurgents, how positioning and planning had helped, the few times he had been taken by surprise and why, etc.

Although she was clearly not experienced in fighting, Sunset seemed to have a theoretical knowledge of strategy—the type that would be learnt in an academy, if such things still existed. She knew plenty of war theory, from sources she refused to name… was it possible that she was originally being groomed for a position of some importance in a military detail of some sort?

But that didn't match her lack of real training in other areas. All in all she was a conundrum, one that would be interrogated and tortured if needed to dismiss any possibility of her being a spy. He resisted the urge to growl. Whatever happened, he wouldn't allow one of his soldiers to—there it was again. That sense of familiarity and unexpected trust in Sunset… to the extent that he had considered her—for the briefest of moments—one of his troops. Something strange was going on, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

Regardless. He had a few hours to try and figure it out.

Sunset cursed under her breath.

According to Pratal Mox, they were just a few blocks away from the edge of the city, and from there just an hour or so from the rally point. But here she was now, flat on her stomach, on top of a rusty truck, spying on a bunch of shambling zombies. The main street they had been going down had several tons worth of metal and bricks blocking it and the side streets didn't look much better. As such, they had taken this route, staying on track towards the East of the city, and had been fortunate enough to not encounter too many of the Lost. They would need to double back, or try and get through the buildings without drawing attention.

So far, Pratal Mox had been useful. He had given her advice on several combat scenarios and, although she did not expect to find herself in situations like that herself, she could see how the knowledge in itself was useful. If she proceeded with her original plans to raise an army to claim Equestria, she needed to know at least the basic capabilities of potential enemies.

She was reminded of her old griffon teacher, Galahad, who had taught her military history despite Celestia's uneasiness at the prospect. The princess was a pacifist, true, but she hadn't raised much of an argument against the case Sunset had presented to her in which a good leader needed broader education, even in military affairs.

Both Galahad and Pratal were clearly very experienced in these matters, and they both had been eager to share their knowledge about the topic once they got comfortable explaining it. It was as oddly endearing then as it was now.

She snorted, then slowly moved away from the creatures. She slid down the back of the truck and headed as silently as she could back to where he waited. "The street is full of Lost, we'll have to go around."

She couldn't see all of his face under that helmet, but his jaw clenched visibly. "That will add more time, but we do not have the resources to fight through the damned creatures and make a break to freedom."

Sunset sighed. "I figured as much."

She watched as Pratal Mox forced himself to his feet. She wouldn't say it to him, but she had to admit she was impressed with his resilience. The wound on his leg was no laughing matter, and would have incapacitated a normal pony for quite some time, even with some healing magic applied.

She wasn't really concerned, but… "Are you sure you don't want to rest a bit longer?"

Pratal Mox turned sharply to look at her, and his hand whipped out quicker than she could follow. Before she knew it, his combat knife was embedded in the forehead of a Lost that had crept up behind her.

The creature stumbled back, opening its mouth to screech, no doubt, but Pratal Mox was already next to her, taking up her bat and breaking its neck before it had fallen back or screeched.

Tossing her the bat back, he pulled out the knife with a sickening, squelching sound. "We don't have time. Only this one seems to have seen you, but the others will soon sense it is gone. Come, we must not linger."

Luckily, the pair were able to sneak past the last of the Lost, breaking into the wilderness soon after. It seemed that the Lost didn't wander far from the slightly greenish mist that spread through the city. That was something to keep in mind.

She followed Pratal to a fenced area at the top of a small hill. There were some metal crates there, and he quickly set to work, pulling out several hi-tech looking devices, which uses escaped her understanding. After a few minutes, he seemed to be ready and set out a signal.

A voice followed soon after. "Set frak Dat-al?"

"Pratal Mox," he replied to whatever the question was. He glanced her way and he seemed to be hesitating. "Set mer dukat. Drak-ten, semmet sakrat."

"Dos vis." The voice in the radio replied.

"So," Sunset gave him a look. "What was all of that?"

Pratal Mox sat down heavily on the crate. "I told them I was the last survivor of the latest mission against the Lost. And that I was alone."

Sunset felt a bit of anger rise within her. "Oh? And why would you say that?"

He looked away for a few seconds. "If they find you with me, you will be captured, tortured and interrogated before… being forced to join us. I owe you my life, and I cannot allow this if I want to retain my honor."

She resisted the urge to point out that she would have probably died in the city without his help, or that he had also saved her life. She didn't want him to decide it was all settled and she was indeed due an interrogation after all. "So… what does this mean for me?"

He dug out the device and fiddled with it, before attaching it to another one. He tossed it at her. "Once I'm gone… use that to call for help. You will be rescued by one of the nearby human settlements. They have patrols all over the place. They will help you out."

"But I—"

"No time!" Pratal interrupted, raising his hand in warning. As if testing her, he made the hand signal for silence, and immediately she could hear several sounds, whirring and humming. "They are close by… go hide."

Despite wanting to buck Pratal in the face, she ran down the hill and into the undergrowth, watching as several vehicles pulled up to where they had been. Several individuals in armor similar to his, yet… discolored or decorated strangely, ran out, pointing their weapons at him.

Pratal had stood up and was crouching into a defensive position. One of the bigger vehicles stopped within her sight and a figure emerged from inside once it was very clear that he had no chance of escaping or fighting back.

"Well, well," a female voice reached her. "If it isn't Pratal Mox himself. Isn't this a surprise?"

o.0.o End Chapter 3 o.0.o

PreviousChapters Next