• Published 25th Jan 2018
  • 21,033 Views, 9,169 Comments

XCOM: Ranger - Wanderer D



Sunset Shimmer escapes Equestria... with unforeseen consequences.

  • ...
57
 9,169
 21,033

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 249: Loadout

Author's Note:

Hello everyone, and welcome back to Ranger.

Yeah, it's been a while. I never intended to drop this, but with the writing schedule I had, along with some insistent, misinformed, obnoxious comments that I took a bit more to heart (considering the amount of work that went into this) than I should have, and my overall work/life/family/money situation, I was just... too tired to continue what was a really tough arc to deal with.

But, things have changed, and I'm back, and we're picking up where we left, with more space between chapters. No more writing 3k words after work to publish them on the same day! Expect chapters every couple of weeks or so. Slow and steady.

If you're clicking for the first time ever on this chapter to find out what Ranger is about... I really urge you to read from the beginning. There is a LOT of stuff that was planted back then that gives a completely different context to things now.

If you're a returning reader, I realize after such a long hiatus things might be fuzzy for a lot of you, so I'd like to point you to the following:

The Timeline is a good reminder for those that just want highlights.

And if you need a bit more... chapters 246 thru 247 are sort of an exposition of what has happened from the POV of several characters to help Adagio (and you!) catch up.

Thank you for giving Ranger (and me) another chance. I hope you enjoy the new chapter, and that I can still surprise you with what is to follow!

XCOM: Ranger

Chapter 249: Loadout

By Wanderer D

Chrysalis' office was too small for gathering all relevant staff, so she had ordered the hangar to be cleared of personnel, and forbidden access to it for anyone not directly contacted by her or Central.

Now, right off of the Skyranger's ramp, they had set up a very large table. Several large screens had been brought from the labs, and long tables had been lined to the side with several pieces of equipment stacked on them.

A heavily reinforced box stood far from the other equipment, tightly sealed, and marked dangerous. Even though there was nothing else to it, while it stood under a spotlight, it gave off an ominous aura, almost as if things were slightly lesser around it, and the shadows cast by it were darker than they should be.

For the most part, those already there gathered around their comfort zone.

Gilda, Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash hovered around the area where Apple Bloom and Shen were setting up equipment on the long tables, alongside schematics for Skyranger upgrades and different scanning devices. A suspiciously large metallic box stood next to them, drawing more than one questioning look.

Elena, Angel (on loan), and Jane stood in a loose circle with Ember, Breaker and all six members of Wolf Team. The group were off to the side, near the lockers which were located closest to the staff entrance. Near them, but not quite part of their circle, was their newest loan from the Skirmishers: Gorack,who looked more bewildered than anything.

Estella was on her own, checking several screens across from the engineering section, on the other side of the large, central table. Several smaller tables were set around her small station, containing devices and oddly enough plenty of crystals. Had Twilight still been in their world, she'd probably be helping her set that up. Still, she didn't seem bothered by being the lone scientist in the room, running from one screen to the other and bringing up esoteric graphs and info that escaped the comprehension of many people in the room.

It didn't take long for everyone to quiet down as the staff entrance to the hangar opened and Chrysalis, Anette, Laettitia (Luna), Tygan, Sweetie Belle, Adagio and Central stepped into the room. Everyone stood at attention and saluted as The Commander stood next to her seat at the head of the table.

She nodded to them, allowing all the gathered soldiers, scientists and staff to shuffle to their seats as well before sitting down, followed by the others. Chrysalis took a deep breath, and let it out slowly. "Okay, let's get this started."

She glanced around the table. "I've called you all today because we need to stop Fugue, The Hunter, and Chimera. It's about time we consolidate all our assets for this purpose."

She met everyone's eyes firmly. "As you all know I have a history with a Sunset Shimmer, and like all of you came to respect and love our new Sunset as part of XCOM, an amazing soldier, and loyal to all of us beyond the confines of species, world or even dimension. If we can bring her back… we will try.

"But that is just an ideal solution. Outside of Sunset being an excellent soldier, Fugue is a risk we cannot afford to allow to exist. We all saw what our unexpected enemies are capable of, and we cannot allow them to attack and derail us if we have any hope to save humanity from the Elders.

"We have been in communication with Twilight Sparkle in Equestria with the assistance of Princess Luna, and have been informed that they have reached the general location of the magical item that they believe can cure Sunset of the bloodlust that consumed her. They expect to have it in their… hooves… within a few hours."

She bit her lip and shook her head, grimacing. "I want to believe it's true. But even if they get it, we cannot simply assume it will work. We need to plan for the worst, and she is just one of several problems we will face. Luna?"

Luna rose to her feet, brushing a strand of Laetitia's hair from her face. "You have all seen the same basic information we have: Sirens are usually created after a pony or creature from Equestria sacrifices themselves for a greater cause. That the siren's gem is created in the process to secure what is essentially their soul and central being, initially to allow them passage through otherwise debilitating effects, until their mission is over, after which the gem is all that remains, and eventually grows into a new version of themselves after they passed away."

She pressed a button and one of the screens lit up with a picture of one of the blood-red gems, as well as a picture of Fugue, where her gem could be seen glinting in the light.

"The issue oddly enough is," she continued, "that Sunset Shimmer never died. Through the history of my world, blood witches and warlocks have been the worst of those that fall to forbidden magic. Whatever the exact reason for this is irrelevant at this time. It's simply fact… sirens would usually be born from those that stopped these creatures. However, somewhere along the line, Sunset started forging her own gem… which shouldn't have been possible."

"The running theory is that Sonata was somehow responsible for this," Adagio said, drawing their attention. "I'm not entirely sure how, but when they came in contact during the mission to rescue Apple Bloom. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, she either accelerated the damage, or started something."

"On that topic," Tygan interrupted, "Perhaps it's best to let us continue from here. Intel has correlated sufficient data for us to assume with very little doubt that Sonata—also known as The Hunter—is allied with this Earth's Twilight Sparkle, also known as Chimera."

A crack made everyone look at Ember, who had completely crumpled a metal mug into a misshapen mass with her hand. "That thing is not Twilight Sparkle."

"You are correct," the Commander replied. "Whoever that was before, she—like Aria and Sonata before her—is no longer the Twilight Sparkle she was before. And more importantly, never was our Twilight." She met Ember's eyes with her own. "And she will be dealt with like we deal with any enemy that hurts our team."

Although her jaw was still clenched, Ember nodded, acknowledging Chrysalis' promise, so the commander nodded at Tygan, who stood up, pushing his glasses up with his finger.

"After some experimentation with theories left behind by Twilight Sparkle, Miss Marilla—"

"Glimmer!" someone who sounded a lot like Gilda called out.

Tygan gave her a look, then cleared his throat. "As I was saying, while we worked with the notes left by Twilight, Estella made a startling connection."

Grinning nervously, Estella took the spot, bringing up her presentation. Lunattitia and Adagio both leaned in, studying her notes and graphs. She was literally presenting to masters of the topic. She hadn't felt so nervous since presenting her thesis in college.

"It is my theory that Chimera was involved with the development of Sunset's gem," she said. "I don't believe she knew this would happen, exactly, but Chimera had ample opportunity to study Sunset Shimmer when the Viper King captured her, and—if working with Sonata and possibly Aria as well—enough chances to experiment with their gems as well."

"It does seem to match her unhinged sense of science," Tygan added. "While it's clear that Chimera based her work off of Dr. Vahlen's experiments, developing these… mutations is beyond reckless."

He stood at the other side of the monitor Estella had shown her theorems on and put up the screenshots of the monsters they had faced so far. "At this moment in time, we have encountered modified sectoids, (with far greater powers than others) as well as a Berzerker Queen, Archeon King, and the deceased Viper King."

"It stands to reason that these are not the only monsters Chimera is creating, if she's basing them off of ADVENT's troops. We can expect her to follow her tendencies and present us with a mutated Chrysalid and Muton at some point," Estella added. "But that's not all…"

Shen took her queue, standing up to stand where Tygan had, while Apple Bloom took Estella's. "Chimera has also added modified MECs to their arsenal, thanks in no small part to somehow getting their hands on what remains of Julian."

"He was able to hack past my defenses and control my body for a short while," Apple Bloom said. "Shen and I have gone over the details, and we believe we should be able to fight back more efficiently, especially with the aid of some… gifts from her father."

"In order to fight all of these enemies, we have developed our own weapons to the point where we believe we stand a fair chance," Shen said. "With the assistance of Vykass and the other original aliens, including their very own Sectoid Commander, we have developed equipment that can disrupt their mind-control attempts when directed at those of us that are not magical."

"Why the distinction?" Szymon Zajac, aka Hunt, the grenadier from Wolf Team asked.

"If an alien tries to force their psionics on a magic user, their heads will explode," Annette explained.

"Damn, how do I become magic?" the soldier muttered, earning himself an elbow to the ribs.

"In any case," Shen continued, "the resources and knowledge we obtain from the old base, added to the friendly alien's advice, have resulted in advanced laser weapons that we can use effectively against ADVENT and Julian."

Jane raised her hand. "Apple Bloom mentioned a gift from your dad? What did he leave for us?"

Shen grinned. "This is SPARK."

The large box next to the weapons table hissed open, and a MEC, somewhat resembling the ones from ADVENT stepped out.

"GREETINGS."

"Project SPARK was my father's next development in the war against the aliens," Shen explained. "Mechanoid soldiers that could fight with us, and also in the process reduce the number of lives lost. I have several possibilities to upgrade SPARK, not in small measure thanks to Apple Bloom and Scootaloo, who provided their insight into these kinds of machines, but also the best armor materials.

"At this time, I've upgraded SPARK to what I call a "knight"." Shen glanced at Chrysalis. "Um, I hope you don't mind, Commander, but I want to honor Stardust with the nomenclature for the SPARK units ranks."

Chrysalis smiled a bit, nodding. "Continue."

Shen nodded at Scootaloo, who reluctantly stood up. "Alright, listen up. Part of the problem with most of your armors is that with the lack of some sort of exo-skeleton to help carry alien alloys, they become impossible to wear without eventually crushing you under their weight. However, the SPARK unit doesn't have to worry about that. I worked with Shen to make an alloy that will withstand several rounds of attacks from most ADVENT weapons, and is all but impervious to heat and acid."

"For my part, Ah helped program the cyberwarfare suites for their programs, increased their hacking capability, and their firewalls… along with mine. Needless to say, Charles Shen was a genius, and having studied the real material he left behind, I'm confident we have solid soldiers on our side."

"Additionally," Estella spoke up, raising a hand, "with the help of Princess Luna, we developed a basic anti-magic field around the SPARK units. They won't be able to survive long against Fugue, but if it's just a throwaway attack, they should have a higher chance of survival."

Deadwood leaned back, grinning. "I'm liking our chances more. How many do we have?"

"Um… two."

"Okay, less than earlier, but still feeling good."

Chrysalis stood up. "I have been working on the strategy we'll use… with Sweetie Belle and her sister's help, we have put in motion the plan to lure Fugue, the Hunter and Chimera, as well as their toys to a location of our choosing." She walked around the table to stand in front of the Skyranger. "Make no mistake, this will not be easy… but it's not a situation we can ignore if we hope to survive, let alone win this war. We need to save Sunset, and take the others down."

"And if we can't save Sunset?"

Chrysalis glared at Jane, but didn't answer immediately, instead walking over to open the ominous box and extract a smaller one from within, which she threw across the table.

Jane caught it, wincing.

Chrysalis wondered if Jane had done so because she had felt the anti-life field on it thanks to her own magic, or if it was because deep down, she didn't want it to be necessary. But that was unimportant. There as after all only one way that Chrysalis could answer her question. "If not… you know what to do."

o.0.o End Chapter 249 o.0.o

PreviousChapters Next