• Published 25th Jan 2018
  • 20,957 Views, 9,165 Comments

XCOM: Ranger - Wanderer D



Sunset Shimmer escapes Equestria... with unforeseen consequences.

  • ...
57
 9,165
 20,957

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 190: Meditations

Ranger

Chapter 190: Meditations

By Wanderer D

"I want this man secured and kept away from everyone until the Commander is well and ready to see him."

Deadwood nodded and saluted. "Yes, sir." He nodded to Shogun and Haunt to take the VIP with them, while he himself stayed behind, eyes narrowing at Firebrand's grim march out of the hangar and the number of people present.

Next to Central, Jane was trying (and failing) to convince Elena and Laetitia that she didn't need the wheelchair that Seabreeze was holding in place with a smirk of amusement. That accounted for most of the team, however…

"Don't," Central said when he noticed Deadwood about to speak. "The crew will find out soon enough. But we're keeping it under wraps until we speak to the Commander.

Taking a sharp breath, Deadwood cursed silently and nodded. "Come on, Seabreeze, let's let them get on with it."

"Yessir!"

Central watched the pair exit the hangar before nodding to Elena and Luna. "Come on, the Commander's waiting."

As the group made their way down the Avenger's halls, Luna approached Central. "Something beyond what happened seems to be bothering you, friend Central. Do you wish to share it?"

Bradford shook his head. "It's difficult to explain… you're aware of the original Sunset Shimmer, correct?"

Luna tilted her head in silent acknowledgment.

"Let's just say then that the news of losing Sunset a second time will not go well."

Luna nodded, falling behind much to his relief. While there had been rumors and speculation about the actual relationship between the Commander and Earth's Sunset Shimmer—including guesses from their current Sunset—no one that met them could deny there was something there. He didn't care whether it was sisterly love, a deep friendship or even physical. They were a team, and losing Sunset had affected the Commander deeply.

This time… it was different, but Sunset and Twilight had both warned them of the possibility of Sunset's powers going astray. Twilight, during a meeting with him, the Commander and Tygan, had explained the dark history of forbidden magics, and how inevitably, those that had used it through the ages had eventually become corrupted.

There might really be no way of bringing her back, and having Sunset as an enemy was not something Commander Chrysalis would be remotely okay with. Or himself. Or anyone in XCOM or their allies.

The amount of influence that young woman had was staggering, from her close ties to each of their allied factions, to XCOM, to inter-dimensional aliens… and while no one would argue that the soul behind XCOM was the Commander, Sunset had become without a doubt, the heart.

Bradford clenched his hands into fists. Who was he kidding? Sunset's loss… her transformation into a monster through her own efforts struck him deep. He had spent three years of his life training that young woman into a military leader. All he had learned in Officer School; all he had learned in the field, in the previous war, in the 20 years in between then and the return of the Commander… he had used that experience to guide her.

When he had taken her under his wing, he had been an alcoholic. That's what made it worse for him, of all things. He still struggled with his addiction, and he had let it slip out of control in the party… arguably the last place he should be taking a drink. But what really hurt—if he was honest with himself—was that he should have known. He should have seen the signs! He lived with them for over a decade.

He struggled with temptation, and lost, so many times!

He shook his head as they slowed down in front of the Commander's office. She was listening to that song again. This would definitely not go well.

"Central."

He quickly brought his mind back to the present and looked over his shoulder at the approaching Shen and Tygan, who was bringing with him one of his science crew. The woman looked nervous, glancing from him, to Jane and then casting a doubtful look at Tygan.

Bradford narrowed his eyes, trying to remember her name, but coming up blank, other than remembering that she had helped Sunset and Twilight with their portal project. "You do know that what will be discussed is highly classified, Tygan?"

The scientist smirked. "Of course. Miss Marilla here was personally recommended to me by Sunset Shimmer as an assistant in the involved fields." His smile faded. "Given… the lack of Sunset and what we detected with our instruments in the Skyranger, I felt it… prudent… to bring her with us."

Schooling his features, Bradford nodded at them. "Very well. Since we're all here, let's go in."

Estella frowned, staring at the large screen depicting the complicated algorithms that had been passed on to her by Dr. Tygan.

As it was, the processes needed to solve the thaumic collapse shouldn't be too hard. If you could do magic. But if you couldn't, which was basically %99.9 of the Avenger's crew, then things became complicated.

Why?

Because the bypasses had to be achieved with technology and inventive use of pre-determined, previously-unknown symbols and usually useless materials. Like quartz. Because of course Geomancy would come into it. Or was it Crystamancy? Either way, unless she found a way to avoid that, or replicate it with science, their equipment would start looking like something out of a fantasy novel.

Still, the fact that she had to figure out what type of gems or crystals would best fit with the overall objective of the spell's energy transfer was decidedly off-putting. Next thing they'd want her to do was to draw a goddamned pentagram on the floor and—

She narrowed her eyes and leaned forward, selecting a shape from the available sources and fitting it in perfectly.

"Of course," she muttered. "A pentagram."

"Miss Marilla?"

She jumped and turned, staring wide-eyed at Dr. Tygan, who was studying the diagram with a small frown and tapping his lips with a finger. "Most intriguing. Are you sure the pentagram would result in the spell completion?"

She cleared her throat. "We'll have to experiment, sir, but the bypass fits. We might need to add some gemstones or, if possible, chemical equivalents, to the design and see if the thaumic input doesn't get dispersed as previously happened."

Tygan nodded absently.

"You um, didn't come here to ask me about this, did you?"

"Very observant," Tygan replied, motioning for her to follow, which she did. They walked in silence out of the lab and towards the stairs before Tygan spoke up again. "I'm afraid there's a… situation, and without Sunset or Twilight, you and I are the only authorities on the matter."

Estella frowned. "That doesn't leave that many fields of research open."

"Indeed," he said, and appeared to be about to say something else when a voice interrupted them.

"Tygan!"

"Shen."

Lily Shen caught up with them, gasping for breath. Clearly she'd been running all the way there from Engineering. She took a deep breath and released it, nodding politely at Estella. "Glad I caught up with you. Do you know what this is about?"

Tygan nodded, letting her recuperate before leading them upstairs. "I have my suspicions. First Lieutenant Dash was very… intense… when she communicated. We didn't receive a report of deaths or abductions, and the VIP was successfully acquired… which leaves few options that would require this kind of reaction and secrecy."

The trio said nothing else until they reached Menace, just outside of the Commander's office. By now, Estella's heart was beating fast. 'The Commander's office! Crap. Something serious went down!' when she heard her name, she blinked. 'Wait… Sunset Shimmer recommended me?'

After helping with the statue, Estella had thought that she'd have to pursue her research into thaumatology on her own, as classified as it was even within XCOM, but roughly a week after that, Tygan had approached her, taken her to his office and discussed dedicating a majority of her time to this new branch of science, with only priority research in other fields taking precedence.

She had gladly accepted and been given access to a lot of Twilight Sparkle's notes (the ones that were in English), from which she had started developing her own projects. Sunset hadn't talked to her since, and Estella herself—still struggling a little bit with the idea of friendly aliens—hadn't sought her out.

To find that she had impressed Sunset into recommending her… well, it didn't really match with her own reservations. It seemed that despite her own misgivings, the one real expert left on the ship, thought that she was good enough to do research on her own.

It was an unexpected show of trust, and Estella took a deep breath, which coincided with Central knocking on the Commander's door to announce their arrival.

Whatever had happened, she'd live up to Tygan and Sunset' expectations, and more importantly, her own.

o.0.o End Chapter 190 o.0.o

PreviousChapters Next