• Published 25th Jan 2018
  • 20,790 Views, 9,163 Comments

XCOM: Ranger - Wanderer D



Sunset Shimmer escapes Equestria... with unforeseen consequences.

  • ...
57
 9,163
 20,790

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 179: Playing

Ranger

Chapter 179: Playing

By Wanderer D

"Look, I might be the Communications Officer for XCOM now, but I did grow up with a fashion designer-turned involuntary mutant assassin, turned involuntary ADVENT bodyguard," Sweetie said to Sunset. "Not to mention high-end coverage of similar events as the one you're attending, and I'm telling you right now, this is what bratty young women wear these days to expensive parties."

Sunset looked down at her three-piece suit. "Whatever happened to frilly dresses with huge feathered hats or hilariously inadequate materials? I want to make a statement, dammit!"

"While you have the brat down, I still can't get you a meat dress like Lady Gaga's from about thirty years ago, okay?" Sweetie said, "So you'll have to make do with modern sensibilities."

"Meat dress? Seriously?"

Sweetie shrugged. "Don't ask. My sister secretly thought it was fantastic. She tried to remake it in her Anarchy Room."

Sunset gave her a look. "The what now?"

"Nothing. Trade secret. In any case, since you're dying your hair fully black, we can do a black and white combination like this one, with the ADVENT button in yellow," Sweetie said, "or we can try the all red single piece."

Sunset looked at the mannequin wearing the red "dress". "You understand that that leaves most of my chest, belly and literally down to just above my pelvis completely exposed on the front."

"It's a bit revealing, true, but the back and sides are well covered! It's classy as hell for ADVENT. Definitely something a young, up and coming lady of power and sensibility would use!"

"I suppose I could let people know whether I shave or not, but somehow, I don't think Bradford would be too comfortable with this one."

"Oh, come on, your dad will love it."

"He's not my dad in this universe."

"Whatever you want to call him then," Sweetie replied with a shit-eating grin.

Sunset rolled her eyes. "Whatever."

"So, do you want to try the Miranda Special or not?"

"The what now?"

Sweetie shrugged. "That's what the Commander called it. She's the one that came up with the design, and I have to admit, the look is perfect."

"Slutty, yet slightly composed. Definitely ADVENT-Fascist Haute Couture."

"It's not that bad, I'm sure it'll hug your figure just fine."

"It's not the dress hugging me while wearing it that gives me the creeps."

"Look, no one would expect The Blood Witch to be wearing that. Can you imagine their faces when you pull out a sword and chop down a muton while wearing that?"

"Alright, I have to ask, where exactly would I hide a sword in such a way that people wouldn't notice it, while I'm wearing that?"

Sweetie blinked, then blushed. "I-I'm sure I don't know!"

"Right."

"Look, it's just what it is. You're not an average citizen. You're the daughter of—what by ADVENT standards is—a man in a position of a lot of power. A noble of the human species, so to speak. So you're taking it, and that's final."

Sunset sighed, glaring at the dress. "Fine. But only because it'll be worth it to see Bradford chew you and Chrysalis out for even making such a thing."

Sweetie smirked. "I'll take all victories, however small they are."

That night...

The Skyranger landed in the outskirts of the city of Innsmouth, a turn-of-the-century kind of town that had somehow managed to survive the conversion process that ADVENT had forced onto the rest of the world.

It had taken Rainbow Dash some effort to find a good place to land in the swampy area, and the constant yellowish fog hadn't helped much with visibility. It had taken some doing before she had been convinced that her precious plane would not sink into the murky waters.

"Alright people," Central said, meeting the eyes of team Menace. "We are meeting our contact in the town proper, but even if ADVENT hasn't rebuilt the city, it doesn't mean they're not active at all.

"We're moving in fast, but we cannot be spotted by any enemies." He turned to Sunset. "Make sure to let us know if anyone is approaching."

"Yes, sir!"

Bradford nodded. "Laetitia and Jane are both to meet their contact in the downtown, while Sunset, Elena and I meet with ours."

"I still do not like playing the role of your wife, Central," Elena growled, shouldering her bag.

"Aww, don't get angry at daddy, mom," Sunset said with a grin.

Elena glared at her.

"Sunset," Bradford growled, "don't antagonize… my wife."

"Right. Sorry dad."

"Hey, guys," Rainbow Dash called from the cockpit, "how about you get going before an ADVENT patrol notices us? Or even better, before the Skyranger sinks in this mud?"

"Right."

Bradford motioned to the others to follow. As soon as they were down the ramp and a few meters away from the Skyranger, Rainbow Dash took off.

The group started marching towards the lights of the small city.

"I expect, Mr. Wittbecker, that there will be… appropriate entertainment at your event for someone such as I."

Liam Wittbecker worked his hands together as he bowed deferentially to his guest. "O-of course sir. Only the best for my guests, and for one such as yourself, we will go beyond anything we've done before."

He watched as the tall alien walked around his library, stopping to study the large collection of ancient texts he had on his wall.

"Do I scare you, Mr. Wittbecker?"

"O-of course not, sir… you inspire me. I feel nothing but the greatest admiration—"

The alien laughed, a deep, rumbling, threatening half-growl. "You're lying, Wittbecker. I can feel your jealousy… taste it. Your father was an acquaintance of mine, if you recall, and he felt the same way. Despite everything I taught him."

Liam looked away, his hands shaking. "I-I know."

"I taught him all he knew. All he taught you."

"I know."

"Did I not gift you even more texts? Did I not save your family's quaint little town from the Elder's destruction?"

"We have served the Elders for centuries! They would have never—"

"They would have. Just as they destroyed the other families. But I stopped them, because like you, your father was jealous… but loyal."

"R-right."

"Entertain me well, Mr. Wittbecker, and I will grant you more of the Elder's secret knowledge. Knowledge that only two more know about."

Liam's eyes were wide. "Y-you mean?"

"Yes," the Warlock said, a serrated grin spreading across his face. "I will make sure you ascend. As promised."

o.0.o End Chapter 179 o.0.o

PreviousChapters Next