• Published 25th Jan 2018
  • 20,784 Views, 9,163 Comments

XCOM: Ranger - Wanderer D



Sunset Shimmer escapes Equestria... with unforeseen consequences.

  • ...
57
 9,163
 20,784

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 178: Precious

Ranger

Chapter 178: Precious

By Wanderer D

Chrysalis rapped her fingers on the meeting room table, her gaze focused on Menace.

"As you can see from the information I handed you, this will not be an easy mission, but we cannot ignore this opportunity."

She stood up, switching off the light so that the projection on the wall was clearer for everyone to see. "This man here is Liam Wittbecker, an old acquaintance of XCOM." Her eyes narrowed as she gripped the edge of the table. "He is one of the people that sold us out to ADVENT, and a suspected former member of EXALT's upper echelons.

"Our information so far shows no Meld DNA enhancements on him, so there is little to fear when it comes to unexpected abilities. However, given his importance, the forces around him are not going to be something to laugh at."

She changed the image to show a blueprint of a large mansion. "Our enemy VIP is currently hosting an event at this mansion, off the coast of New England, built on the converted remains of an old town. It sits atop a cliff that overlooks Plum Island."

Another screen appeared next to the blueprint, showing the geological location of the place. "This is a rare chance, despite the obvious increased security. From the old FBI archives, there's a running theory that his family had contact with the Elders somehow as early as 1921. Whether this is true or not, what we do know for a fact is that his family was the major monetary contributor to EXALT twenty years ago, and the Elders have kept him in a position of power all these years."

"Your mission is to infiltrate the mansion during the event and extract him." Chrysalis looked over at them. "Something to add, Captain?"

Sunset grimaced. "He's going to be surrounded by bodyguards, aliens and news coverage. That is not including the bodyguards, alien and human for the other VIPs that might be attending. If that whole thing is so full of ADVENT VIPs, why not just blow them all up in one go?"

"It's not that simple," Chrysalis said. "For one, the air around that area is going to be heavily monitored. We have a plan for extraction, but you are not going to be dropped even close to the thing. Menace will pose as influential citizens and infiltrate the guests going over there in limousines."

Chrysalis smirked. "You'll probably have your own ADVENT guards."

"Great." Jane said. "One question?"

"Yes?"

"How exactly is Sunset going to infiltrate that place without anyone recognizing her? She's all over the place in posters!"

"She's got a point," Elena said.

"For one, she's not going to be covered in guts and blood," Chrysalis said.

"You take away all the fun."

Rolling her eyes at Sunset, Chrysalis continued, "Sweetie Belle will also help Sunset look different, and provide her with a coverup."

"Oh?" Sunset leaned back, "and what's my cover story?"

"You are the heir of a local politician, Brian Bloom," Chrysalis said, "so make sure you keep doing your brat act." She smiled. "He, will be played by your real—in an alternate reality—dad."

"My alternat—" Sunset's eyes went wide. "Wh-Central?!"

"He's already getting fitted into a Tuxedo."

"Does he even know he's doing this?"

"Yes. Now..." Chrysalis' smile faded. "...with such a tight security, we can't have you carrying weapons of any sort into the mansion, but we have secured an early transportation of several of them into the mansion today.

"The event will take place in two days. I want you all to study the blueprints. We'll have another meeting to outline our plans for all: dropping you off, acquiring the asset, and evacuating." She glared at the group. "And remember, this VIP has to come back alive."

The neon white light reflected in small flashes on the edges of the slowly spinning gem. Even now—inactive as it was—Sunset could feel the latent power of the Siren's Gem. Even though the soul and consciousness was gone, in a way Aria had been right: everything worth saving of herself was still in that gem.

All the knowledge.

And power.

Sunset had fashioned a silver necklace with it, so that she could keep the gem close at all times. It was odd. Weird. Scary. Exciting. She had someone else's gem.

She sat in Twilight's old lab, her single piece jumpsuit open down to her belly button. The windows were closed, the warning sign on the locked door. She would not be interrupted.

She looked away from the entrancing flickering light and down to the text. Months-years ago, the letters in the book had been nothing but twisting, snaky splotches and tendrils of nonsensical design.

Something that could not be comprehended by the uninitiated.

But as the power of blood grew within her, the lines stopped shifting. The text slowly curled from random, haphazard directions into careful lettering. The angry, red-black glow receded into a faint whisper of promises.

When she had obtained the gem, it was like a new level had been unlocked from the book. The basic, initiate spells had faded, replaced with more advanced concepts. Not even spells. Concepts and visualizations that emphasized the limitless potential of this branch of magic.

But even then, they had made little sense. Equestrian Magic had opened her to the book's whispers once more, and until her last mission, she had held back, worried about the madness that the Princesses had warned her about.

But was it madness to protect those she cared about?

In her mind, the moment that Jane had been shot played over and over again. How close had she been to dying? How close had Angel?

Not to mention the many times she herself should have died due to her wounds, only to come back stronger, every time, thanks to her blood magic?

When Sonata had talked to her, it had felt—for a moment—like she was making a deal with the devil. But Sonata's voice had carried the underlying, velvety, softness of truth. She had shown Sunset her own potential… how close, and yet how far she was of perfection.

She had been horrified at first, upon the discovery, but the more she thought about it, the more it made sense. There was no reason for her to not be able to control the Blood Magic. She had lived with it for three years now, without a single problem until she went to Equestria.

But she wasn't there now, was she? She was in this low-magic world where the power could be managed and controlled. Where her new spells and understanding could only bring success and help save lives—maybe even the world!

There was nothing to fear as long as she paced herself. The more she read, the more the book revealed a never-ending depth of lore and knowledge that far escaped her initial estimations. How did the humans put it? How deep the rabbit hole went.

And now, between her studies with Celestia, her rejuvenated magic, Sonata's advice, Aria's gem, and her own ambition, she had the chance to surpass all of them.

Sunset looked down, tracing her fingers along her neck—down to just above her breasts—where smooth, soft, skin gave way to a bright, dark-red surface.

Her own gem.

o.0.o End Chapter 178 o.0.o

PreviousChapters Next