• Published 25th Jan 2018
  • 21,016 Views, 9,167 Comments

XCOM: Ranger - Wanderer D



Sunset Shimmer escapes Equestria... with unforeseen consequences.

  • ...
57
 9,167
 21,016

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 174: Shatter

Ranger

Chapter 174: Shatter

By Wanderer D

Fluttershy and Tala sat across from each other, each with their own cup of tea.

"In my world, you are by all accounts one of the most kind individuals alive," Tala said, focusing on the pegasus. "But you also understand why people fight."

"Fighting should always be the last option," Fluttershy countered, eyes narrowing a little. "Violence doesn't solve anything, especially killing! How can any creature learn if they are dead?"

Tala nodded, "Granted, but that is assuming they are willing to learn, and you have the luxury of doing that. When you are at war, you don't. Everyone you spare because of pity will shoot you in the back, or come back to kill you."

"Kindness helps creatures understand each other," Fluttershy replied, "If you keep showing it—"

"More people will die," Tala interrupted. "While you worry about forgiving one enemy, droves of them will kill your friends, family and neighbors… while you worry about how to communicate with an enemy, those you're supposed to protect die. Do you know why people fight, Fluttershy? Why soldiers like Alejandra, Sunset, Mox, myself, Twilight—"

"She's not a soldier!"

Tala continued, unperturbed, "...do you know why we're out there, getting shot at, and killing those that would kill you without a second thought?"

Fluttershy bit her lip.

"Because if we don't you would never get the luxury of being forgiving. Because you would be dead." Tala crossed her forelegs. "When it's live or die, we'd all rather live, and sometimes the only way to do that, is to kill."

"But why kill?!" Fluttershy wailed. "Why not knock them unconscious an—"

"What, relocate them?" Tala interrupted, shaking her head. "If an enemy is knocked out, they can still wake up and kill you. If you move them, they return; if you imprison them, you run out of space eventually, provided they don't organize an escape and kill your people. These are not reasonable individuals, kind one, these are single-minded troops following the orders of their overlords blindly, without pity or compassion.

"Do you think the humans did not attempt peace with the Elders? They did. And they were conquered. Now, if a human does something the Elders don't agree with, that human will be gone forever. If humans don't want to live in the cities, then they are used for experimentation and as examples to instill fear in those that remain under the Elder's subjugation.

"XCOM fights because they must. They kill because they must."

Fluttershy looked away. "No enemy is beyond compassion."

"I am glad you think so," Tala said, her voice less intense. "But you only have the ability to think that way because others protect that, and dismissing them as nothing but brutes insults not only them, but your intelligence as well."

Fluttershy glared at Tala. "Is that why you put yourself in a dangerous situation? To prove a point about Alejandra?"

"No, the cave-in was not planned, although the jab was intended to drive a point home, as it were."

Fluttershy shook her head. "How could you take advantage of my worry for you to lecture me on that?"

Tala leaned back. "Because you needed some perspective, even if it wasn't a direct correlation," she said, leaning her cup to take a sip. "You were unduly harsh with her, kind one."

Fluttershy's brow darkened. "I did not appreciate her almost killing that poor—"

"Giant predator intent on eating your friend the Princess alive?" Tala asked, "it didn't stop chasing us when we moved away from the shore. It went straight for the kill, and at the time, Alejandra thought she had to choose between a hungry beast of unknown power, or the woman—" Tala stopped and cleared her throat. "...or the Princess she had sworn to protect.

"Under no circumstance was the choice a hard one to make. That thing would have killed Twilight Sparkle if she hadn't thrown it across the forest."

Fluttershy looked down, no less angry and took a sip of her tea.

"But that's not the worst part," Tala said. "And I think you know that."

"Our first instinct isn't to kill."

"You didn't grow up in a world where people were murdered daily by monsters."

"We don't carry weapons of death."

"You are not a soldier, but your Royal Guard is made up of them, and they carry swords and spears. Those weapons have limited uses besides killing."

"The Royal Guard would have acted different! They would have—"

"Alejandra had just arrived to a different world, she was in a different body, she was in an unknown area, against an unknown foe which was threatening her friend," Tala interrupted. "She reacted to protect her, just as she would have protected you, Applejack, or anyone else." She walked across the table to sit right in front of Fluttershy. "Why is it really that you can't even bring yourself to apologize?"

"I shouldn't need to—"

"You know you were wrong," Tala said, shaking her head. "I know it, or I wouldn't waste my time or yours with this line of questioning."

Fluttershy looked down, letting her pink mane cover her face.

"Even if her actions do not match what you would do, calling her a murderer, especially when she was trying to save lives is unforgivable."

Fluttershy flinched at Tala's tone. Her body trembled as the breezie waited patiently, until with a sob, Fluttershy collapsed onto the table, knocking the tea down and started crying and bawling as she finally confessed.

Gabby pushed the last stone into the wall, making sure that it aligned perfectly with all the others she had already fit into place, then nodded and wiped the sweat from her brow. "All done! Now you won't have that annoying breeze bothering you when it gets cold, Gladis."

An old, female griffon hobbled over to glare at the wall. "Well! Now how will I get the breeze when I want it, you smart ass?!"

Gabby silently opened the window, then motioned to it with her claws as if presenting Gladis a brand new magi-tech dishwasher.

The old griffon huffed then stomped away. "Fine! I suppose that means you did a good job! Now stop slacking off and go bother some other griffon!"

"You're welcome!" she called back, walking out of the house.

"Don't steal the silver!"

"I'll see you tomorrow, Gladis!"

"Whatever!"

"Another day in paradise," Gabby sighed, taking flight as soon as she was out of the house. Griffonstone was in no way as pretty to look at as Ponyville… but it was still home. Even if every griffon was nasty to each other.

Watching the others fighting all over the place, she sighed. "This place is a dump," she heard herself say.

Gabby blinked. "Wait, I didn't say that."

"Seriously, I was hoping you were joking," Gabby's voice said, just as the young griffon started following the origin of the voice. "How can the rest of your world be that green, organized, friendly and nice… while this place is a dump?"

"Now, now, Silent G," another, familiar voice answered, "It might not be what you would have liked, but there's no need to be so judgemental. These are your people, after all."

"For now."

"Once a griffon, always a griffon."

"I'm not comforted by this thought."

"You'll get used to it, duckie."

Gabby walked around a corner and stopped, her beak hanging slightly open. She hadn't seen Galahad in a while; the old griffon was well known for travelling and adventuring. He wore his usual, boiled leather armor and sword, and stood as proud and sturdy as he always had. But next to him, dressed in a different type of armor, also black, but made of some sort of strange materials…

"Mom?"

o.0.o End Chapter 174 o.0.o

PreviousChapters Next