• Published 25th Jan 2018
  • 20,937 Views, 9,165 Comments

XCOM: Ranger - Wanderer D



Sunset Shimmer escapes Equestria... with unforeseen consequences.

  • ...
57
 9,165
 20,937

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 173: Ultimatum

Ranger

Chapter 173: Ultimatum

By Wanderer D

"Oh, I get it! So "clusterfuck" is when a lot of bad things just happen at the same time and create chaos!" Spike said. "So, does that mean Discord is the God of Clusterfucks?"

"Spike, that is really not a word I want you saying too much. Also, not exactly."

"Clusterfuck?" Spike asked, blinking owlishly, "But how will I learn the other world's slang if I don't know it?"

"Look, just don't use it—"

"But you taught me that language is a gift and it needs to be used!" Spike refuted, "Why would I censor a beautiful word like "clusterfuck"? It just rolls off the tongue."

"It is quite the clusterfuck now," Shining said.

"Shining!"

He grinned and Spike barked a laugh as well. "Sorry, Twilight, sorry, I know it's a bad word," the young dragon said, "I won't use it."

Twilight growled, but settled back onto her chair, pouting. "Mean."

"So, Celestia mentioned you wanted to talk to all the princesses?" Cadance asked.

Twilight nodded, "Yeah. And my friends after that… but I'd rather wait until Celestia and Luna are both here as well."

"They should be here soon," Cadance said, shrugging. "I thought I saw aunt Celestia going to aunt Luna's room. She's probably going to wake her up."

"That is correct," Celestia said, opening the door to the breakfast room with her magic and stepping in. Luna shuffled in behind her, eyelids drooping and stifling a yawn.

"Verily, training at the end of the night is invigorating and fun," Luna said, taking a seat across from Twilight and summoning some coffee. "Mayhaps I shouldn't have "hit the hay" soon after thinking I could waken by the time you were all here."

"If it's a short sleep, it's called a nap, auntie," Cadance provided.

"Indeed."

"So, Twilight," Celestia said once they had all sat down and pancakes had been served. "What is it that you wanted to discuss with us?"

"Isn't it obvious, sister?" Luna asked, nodding sleepily at Spike as he served her more coffee. "She's planning on going back."

There was a clatter as Spike almost dropped the tray he had been walking around the room with, before shakily settling it down on a table. "W-wait, you're not serious, are you?"

He turned to look at the gathered royalty. "Twilight just came back! She can't go back there, right? I mean, it's not her war. She can help from here, right?"

Celestia leveled a slightly annoyed look at Luna, before shaking her head and glancing at Twilight. "Is Luna right?"

Twilight gulped under the full attention of the others. "I-I do want to go back when the portal permits… I haven't studied it much since I arrived, but I need to—if it were to open and transfer somepony, it could really hurt people I know."

"It almost killed Laetitia," Luna mumbled, yawning. "It gave casual headaches to other humans on the Avenger. Any psionic on the ship would be in danger of a random activation."

Twilight's eyes narrowed. "Yes."

Celestia's eyes were wide. "Sister, perhaps you should rest after all."

"Nay, the commander needs our help," Luna said with another yawn. She blinked slowly, glancing at Twilight. "Carrie on, ma cherie."

"What is going on?" Twilight asked, voice low. "Have you been visiting the dreams of XCOM members again?"

'Yes, she has," Celestia said, shaking her head and glancing at Luna with disapproval.

"Okay, so the portal would kill the humans that have powers," Spike spoke up, interrupting Twilight, who had been about to speak. "How does that not make it better for her to stay?"

"I'd have to agree with Spike," Cadance said, turning heads to her. "If help from here can be given, why go back? Why endanger yourself and others?"

Twilight sighed. "You don't know the things they are fighting, Cadance. How bad it really is. They are fighting monsters. Literal monstrosities of flesh and metal that rip creatures apart, and some even use living people to inject them with venom and lay eggs!"

She slid off her chair and started pacing. "Aliens that shoot balls of acid that melt your friends! That drive them crazy and into killing themselves! They create new monsters and enslave entire cultures! They control people's minds and make them kill their friends and family! Then they modify them to fight for them, stripping them of everything that made them themselves!

"And you have regular people that are desperate to save others! To take their home back, and fight until they can't fight anymore! You don't know how it feels to know that at any time you could be killed. That even in the safest place—the Avenger—there is a chance to die by even an ally's hand!"

Spike suddenly gave her a desperate hug. "Please Twilight! Don't go back! You said it yourself! That place is a clusterfuck of death!"

The others watched in silence as Twilight gently pushed Spike back and paced back and forth across the room, anger and adrenaline surging through her, until she slowed down and sat again, wings drooping and a head low as she toyed with her food with her hoof. "Good people die there every day."

"Are you sure you don't want to consider other forms of assistance, Twilight?" Celestia asked. "Chrysalis' letters don't have any indication that you were expected back any time soon, if at all. She pretty much gave you freedom… she sent you home for a reason, and it wasn't only because it would provide her with a possible escape plan for a few allies."

"Although let's be honest, that doesn't hurt," Shining Armor said, reclining back on his seat.

"She let me go free," Twilight agreed, "and did so without any words of expecting me back, although she made it clear that Tala at least was on loan."

"Just Tala?" Cadance asked, a small smile on her lips.

Twilight mumbled something and took a drink of coffee. "A-anyway, she trusted me. She gave me a home. A purpose. Took chances with me… she let me study their technology, even if I was an alien too. She taught me how to fight. She gave me advice. She listened to me… she was there for me when my friends died."

She took a deep breath. "I can't just stay here and let someone like that face the horrors they face alone. Not when I have the option of doing something."

The others exchanged sour glances.

Twilight took a deep breath. "And the bottom line is… it's my choice, and I'm going back whether you all agree with me or not."

o.0.o End Chapter 173 o.0.o

PreviousChapters Next