• Published 25th Jan 2018
  • 20,967 Views, 9,165 Comments

XCOM: Ranger - Wanderer D



Sunset Shimmer escapes Equestria... with unforeseen consequences.

  • ...
57
 9,165
 20,967

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 151: Advantage

Ranger

Chapter 151: Advantage

By Wanderer D

By the time the flames subsided, what was left on the street was little more than molten pieces of twisted metal. The remains of the sectoids had been charred into lumps, and the blood was little more than carbonized dust.

"Fuck!" Sunset took deep breaths, not daring to glance out of the corner of the building. "Trojan you saved my life! Everyone else in one piece?"

"Jane here. Fridge is with me and Annette, we're okay. We were far enough that the initial explosion didn't damage us, but we retreated a little. We're at the beginning of the block again."

"Keep under cover."

"Yes, ma'am."

"This is Outrider," Elena's voice was next in the channel. "I am still hidden. I'm moving up the side of the building to see if I can spot her."

"Crap." Sunset tried to look down across the street, where the Reaper had last been located. "Make sure you're not caught. Do I need to remind you who the Hunter's favorite game is?"

"I will teach her to fear the Reapers."

Sunset grimaced, trying to think fast. "Trojan, Angel. Report."

"Hiss."

"Yes, stay where you are, deep cover. Keep an eye on Trojan."

"Well, at least I have protection."

"Keep joking. Can you see the Hunter?"

"No. It was just luck that I caught a glimpse of her leaning out of that building. If she's still in the area, she was hiding behind the three-story one with the water tower."

"Why would they have a water tower?" Fridge asked. "It's not like they're out in the wild."

"Probably was one of the first buildings as the city expanded," Jane said, "New Appaloosa started to grow without the aid of ADVENT. They came in after to finish the job and "standardize" it."

"We need a plan." Sunset leaned against the wall, checking Arashi for any damage, but the alien-designed gun didn't have a scratch. Sunset took a deep breath. "We'll have to lure her out somehow."

"You understand that implies getting shot at." Jane's voice was almost accusatory.

"How do you intend to do so anyway? If we at least had an idea of where she is that would give us a small advantage." Fridge asked. "Trojan, you think she's still there?"

"Unlikely, a sniper wouldn't stay in the same position if they were spotted."

"Do you have a better idea?"

When Sunset was met with silence she nodded. "I imagine more ADVENT will be coming over to aid on the attack…" She trailed off, then smiled. "I have an idea."

"Shit," Jane muttered on the radio, "I can hear you smiling."

Sonata silently flew through the air, her grappling hook pulling her to the top of a bridge, where she landed like a shadow. She smiled, her eyes shining in excitement.

She had recognized the human that had dodged her shot. It was Sunset Shimmer! The one that had killed Aria.

Sonata giggled. She was finally hunting something really fun. The last few times… it had been too easy. Reapers were good at hiding, but extremely overconfident, and really not as fast as they wanted to believe they were.

Oh. And frail. XCOM soldiers could take a hit… from most weapons. At least they had a chance to survive. So far no Reaper had lasted long against her. But this… this time it she would have fun!

Locky had been right when he had said that the Commander would make a much more interesting challenge. The Elders had been furious and much slamming of psychic energy had been thrown around when they had felt just how… ready… the idea of a real challenge made Sonata.

The idiots had expected some sort of loyalty or regret at the loss of her sister. Sonata snorted. The only downside about this fight was that if she won, she'd have to deal with Locky herself. And the dude was a pain in the ass.

And smug to boot.

But he didn't matter right now. At first, she had been disappointed with XCOM's performance. The last team she had destroyed had been pathetic. She could still remember their screams as she took one by one and displayed their dead bodies for their friends to find.

She giggled at the memory of the one that hadn't been actually dead when they found him. Who knew humans could be missing so much and bleeding so much and still be conscious?

Well. She knew. Sorta.

Maybe she should do the same to these guys. It was a bit trickier in a city, but not impossible. Some creative rappelling and parkour and they wouldn't even know where she was coming from. Hell, maybe she should ask the Elders to grant her invisibility like Aria. She'd be totally like that Predator from the movie.

That way her new rendition to cinema classics would be a bit more accurate.

She felt her gem give a slight pulse. One of the others was here… or maybe… what was it that Aria had called Sunset? Blood Witch? Could it really be? Aria hadn't bothered to talk to her after she had arrived that one time, so she had thought it was just a nickname. But only a Blood Witch or other dark sorceress would be able to use their gems.

But it was odd, the power was still dormant.

Welp! That was one more reason to kill Sunset Shimmer and her friends, then. Before the Blood Witch figured out how to tap into the magical knowledge of the gems of decay and turn into…

Sonata's thoughts were interrupted by a sharp pain, she rocked in place from the impact of the bullet and scanned the area quickly trying to spot the shooter, when another shot hit the metallic guardrail behind which she had taken cover.

She looked around, laying lower and pulling out her rifle, scanning the area.

"How?!"

Another shot, this one failing to hit her again, but she had spotted the shooter's scope, reflecting light just before the tell-tale bright flash as the trigger was pulled.

Without missing a beat, she rested Darklance on the rail and shot back. The sniper at the other end flew back, spitting blood into the air, landing on a heap.

She noticed another shot hitting her on the side, but the damage was minimal, and the sniper was still breathing. She aimed again.

Suddenly the sniper's form was snatched from the floor by something, just as she pulled the trigger and obliterated the spot where he had been. Sonata cursed, throwing a stun grenade in the direction of where the other shots had come before her grappling hook dragged her across the air to another, higher location that gave her a clearer view.

Darklance's scope quickly found the culprit. A viper traitor was trying to stabilize the XCOM agent.

Sonata grinned, centering her sights on the viper's head. "I don't like traitors, bitch."

She pulled the trigger.

o.0.o End Chapter 151 o.0.o

PreviousChapters Next