• Published 25th Jan 2018
  • 21,065 Views, 9,172 Comments

XCOM: Ranger - Wanderer D



Sunset Shimmer escapes Equestria... with unforeseen consequences.

  • ...
57
 9,172
 21,065

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 124: Frazzle

Ranger

Chapter 124: Frazzle

By Wanderer D

Twilight's mind was in constant conflict between worry, remembering her training, fear, and trying to figure out what exactly was causing all of this to happen.

The moment she had seen the pegasi earlier, and started thinking a bit more logically, she realized this was essentially the same as an ADVENT attack on a settlement, and Galahad had been very clear about what to do. There were civilians in danger, local opposition and aggressive elements.

First thing first was to secure the civilians' safety. She had the advantage that she could simply take the guard and have them help evacuate while she and the others concentrated on solving the actual issue. And as they flew over the area, and Alejandra and Tala stared in confusion at the stuck moon and sun, Twilight couldn't help but shudder as she followed the trail of vines back to their origin in the Everfree Forest.

"Do you have any idea of what to expect?" Alejandra asked softly.

Twilight hummed. Even though she had the nagging feeling that they would end up going there, it was more than likely that the responsible party could be hiding in Ponyville itself, if the math worked out.

"There are a lot of indicators here and a very possible lead, although I can't know for certain until I talk to him… the thing is, why would he do this? By Sunset's accounts, he wasn't openly antagonistic towards Celestia. This would be a... " She sighed, rolling her eyes. "...completely random thing to do. Yeah. Totally in character."

"Seems like you have the culprit," Tala added.

Twilight shook her head. Slowly Ponyville came into sight. "I think so, but let's talk to the girls first," she said, raising her voice, "Captain, once your troops have control of the sky, you will meet with Alejandra at that center building," she pointed with her hoof to the vine-covered town hall. "I'll be getting the rest of the elements from the library."

"Understood, princess!" Captain Whirlwind said, turning to the troops he had selected and guiding them towards the besieged town.

"Gentlecolts," Twilight called to the pegasi pulling her chariot, "we will push through the moment we get past the clouds. I'll fly off to the library once we're past the clouds, you will take Alejandra, Spike and Tala to the Town Hall."

Around them, the other pegasi fell into formation, waiting for the opportune moment to rush through.

"Wait!" Spike said, eyes wide and holding on to Twilight as the guards saluted and braced themselves. "I'm not going with you?"

Twilight shook her head, placing her hoof on Spike's shoulder. "No Spike, I'm just getting the girls. You have a much more important role. Alejandra and Tala have never been here, the ponies in town will mostly follow orders from the guard, but my friends will need someone that everypony trusts to help them."

"I… I guess, but…"

"Come on, Spike," Alejandra said, lightly punching the little dragon on the shoulder, "It's one thing to be told to gather in the middle of the town, it's another to get there and have to follow orders from a Griffon and a Breezie they don't know."

"The Corporal speaks the truth," Tala added, landing on Spike's head and looking down at him resolutely, "And let us not forget the value of working together to overcome obstacles! I might be a Skirmisher, but what warrior would relinquish the chance to ride into battle atop the head of a dragon?!"

Spike grinned. "I like you."

That statement seemed to punctuate the moment to act, and within seconds, the chariot, its passengers and the pegasi around them dove at max speed into a hole created in the cloud-infested area.

Pinkie exploded from under a mountain of books, holding one upside down as she flipped through the pages in vain. "Girls! I can't find anything!" She slumped down. "I'm exhausted! Tired! Frazzled and razzled!

"I don't know, darling, maybe you could try looking at books about plants, or vines or even magic before glancing at…" Rarity leaned in to look at the spine. "...The Essential Crockpot."

"Wait. crockpot?!" Pinkie gasped. "No wonder I couldn't find anything useful! I thought it said crackpot!"

"I…" Rarity gave her a dubious look. "I fail to see how that is relevant."

"Don't you get it?! We need something spontaneous! Not to let it simmer for eight hours on low!"

"You've lost me, Pinkie."

The pink earth pony was about to reply when she felt her left calf twitch, followed by an itchy feeling behind the left ear and her right eye wandered to the left. "Teleport!"

A flash of purple-red light drew the attention of the gathered mares. Their eyes widened and their mouths fell open in surprise when the magic dissipated to reveal a familiar, armed and armored alicorn wearing a very familiar crown.

"TWILIGHT!"

"Gah!"

She barely had time to shout before she was buried under her friends, forelegs and wings wrapped tightly around her.

"Welcome back! We're super-duper happy to see you!"

"Oh my, Twilight, you surprised me, but… we missed you!"

"Well butter mah butt and call me a biscuit! Ah sure as sugar didn't expect to see you pop in like that, Twilight!"

"You're back! That's awesome! I'm glad you're here! And what's with all the gear?"

"Darling, while I am very happy to see you too, I do hope that's your horn I feel poking me."

Slowly the girls disentangled themselves from Twilight and stepped back. Twilight took Applejack's offered hoof and allowed herself to be pulled back to her feet. "Thanks."

Twilight took her friends in. In a way, it was almost like she had just last seen them yesterday, in others… she felt her heart flutter and her eyes water up a little. Her throat felt tight and her legs a bit wobbly.

Her friends. She was back, for real. Spike had been the first dosage of reality kicking in, and even though she doubted he noticed, she had held his claw in her hoof most of the flight, just to feel him touching her. To remember the warmth of his existence and the joy of being close to him again… but until she had felt the girls again, like real beings… until she could be in their presence and feel the reality of them being right there... it had been like a dream.

She smiled, gulping down and clearing her throat. She forced herself to stand tall. The smile grew on its own without any additional effort. "I'm back."

"Yay!" Pinkie shouted. "And you brought weapons!"

The room descended into a slightly awkward silence.

"Um, yeah," Twilight said, raising her wing and glancing at the gun she had holstered there and then turned to look over her shoulder at her rifle. "Habit?"

"Darling, we're so sorry you were… mostly alone in that horrid place, but you're here now, and it's safe. You never have to go back."

"Yes, well." Twilight coughed. "How about we find out what's happening? Celestia and Luna are missing, the vines are growing past Ponyville and speeding towards Canterlot… I've brought the guard to evacuate the town, but I think I have a good idea of who is behind this, if not the motives."

Rainbow Dash crossed her forelegs and smirked at Applejack. "Toldja she'd have figured it out."

Twilight smiled at the banter, her heart lighter than it had been in months. She summoned her magic—so easily in this world, no wonder Sunset had gotten high!—and opened a display table at the end of the library, feeling a bit silly at just how exposed she had left items like the Elements be. "But first, we'll need our Elements…" she allowed the gems to float towards their respective owners.

"Oh yeah! That's what I'm talking about!" Rainbow Dash said, landing with a grin. Each of them seemed relieved to have the elements on them, once more… a reflection of their will and friendship.

Twilight remembered that. She could feel it seeping into her very center. Friendship. Friendship. And she had brought even more friends this time around. There was nothing that could stop them.

"It's been a while, but even so far away… my bond with you girls remained strong... " She looked down. "I know I had a period of time when I… just closed down, but it wasn't you, I—"

"Darling." She felt a hoof on her shoulder, and looked up to meet Rarity's kind eyes. "We understand, a little. Don't worry, our friendship is as strong as ever."

The others nodded, smiling as well.

Twilight grinned and took a deep breath. "Alright girls… I know you've been doing a lot of work, but don't get tired quite yet... let's go find Discord."

o.0.o End Chapter 124 o.0.o

PreviousChapters Next