• Published 25th Jan 2018
  • 20,980 Views, 9,166 Comments

XCOM: Ranger - Wanderer D



Sunset Shimmer escapes Equestria... with unforeseen consequences.

  • ...
57
 9,166
 20,980

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 123: Fudge

Ranger

Chapter 123: Fudge

By Wanderer D

Alejandra had taken to walking slowly, then, as she built confidence, she had started trotting, then running and trying to flap her wings, which still refused to obey her will.

When she found she had a good sense of her balance, she started studying her body again. Her armor covered her chest fully, although her hindquarters were less protected, with only pieces of armor strategically located to protect muscles, tendons and her underbelly. Her tail, which swished uncontrollably at times, also had a nice-looking armor of sorts that covered it all the way to the base of the tip.

"Oh nononono," Twilight muttered pacing back and forth in front of the mirror. "This is not good! Tala's a breezie! A fuuuuuuuu—" Her eyes went to Spike. "—uuuuntastic breezie! Why not a Thestral! Or a minotaur? Or a Yak!"

Alejandra stopped admiring her claws to blink at her. "Funtastic?"

Twilight whirled in place, facing Alejandra with some annoyance. She waved at the small purple dragon within hearing range. "Have I introduced you to Spike? He's a baby dragon."

Alejandra looked down at Spike, who looked up at her with a slightly embarrassed expression. "I mean, he looks young… but he doesn't really act like a baby so wh—ooooh you didn't want to say 'fudge' because he's too young to hear that!"

There was an awkward pause.

"What's wrong with 'fudge'?" Spike finally asked.

"I didn't say fudge!" Alejandra said indignantly. "I said 'frak'!" Her eyes narrowed. "Feather! Francis! Font!" She growled a very leonine, aggressive growl. "Gah! What the freaking feathering fundamental fractality is this!?"

Twilight's horn stopped glowing. "Armonium's Alliterating Addendum," she said with a slight smirk, "Useful for many things. Among them... censoring."

"Flying piece of storm spell, that's what it is."

"I don't get it," Spike said.

"That's the point!" Twilight snapped, then turned to face the hovering, angry breezy. "Wow, you've already figured out how to fly, I'm impressed."

Tala motioned with her hooves and made threatening gestures.

"So, uh..." Spike cleared, "Don't want to interrupt your chat with the breezy, but, black vines? Missing princesses? Danger, Twilight Sparkle, danger?"

"Spike is right," Alejandra said, trotting over to the little dragon and sitting next to him. "Tala is a Skirmisher, she'll be okay."

"Hm," Twilight turned to look at the breezie. "I have no doubt she'll be okay, but we need to be able to communicate a—" She stopped, eyes widening and a small smile crossing her face. "I got it!"

She concentrated: magic materializing around them all, twirling and coalescing around her horn in purple-read streams of energy that eventually gathered into a crackling ball of spinning white energy that she then sent flying straight into the breezie.

"Oh wow. I knew she was going to be mostly useless, Twilight but you didn't have to feathering kill her." Alejandra blinked, then rolled her eyes. "Frak. Frackity frak frak frak."

"Stop that," Twilight ordered. She turned to face Tala, who was still hovering in place. "Now, Tala, I have granted you the ability to use the Canterlot Voice. Try taking a deep breath and, don't shout; project your voice at me. As if you were trying to sing at a crowd…" she trailed off, seeing the bewildered look in the tiny Skirmisher. "Um… as if you were trying to, uh… give orders to the troops. They're far, but you need to be firm and imposing, not shouting like a maniac."

"Like this?" Tala's voice was clear as a normal speaking person. Or… pony.

"Yes! It worked!" Twilight cantered in place, drawing (and ignoring) an: "Awww, she's adorkable!" from Alejandra.

"It's about friggin' time!" Tala shouted, although it sounded less like a shout and more like normal speaking volume, "I will tell the commander of the utter disrespect I've experienced since arriving in this flaming world!" She paused. "Fumble. Fred. Oh, come on!"

"Wow, you guys sure do like your F words," Spike said.

"In any case," Twilight spoke up, all mirth gone as Tala flew over to land on the dragon's head. She sat down, looking at her companions will full seriousness on her face. "Here's the situation: as of ten hours ago, the rulers of this country went missing. There's a lot to explain right now for you two to fully grasp the impact this has on an international level given the urgency of the matter, but let is suffice that if we don't find them, the world is literally doomed.

"Right now, my friends, known as the Elements of Harmony, have been investigating the disappearance of the Princesses and their relation to the strange, black vines that have emerged from the Everfree Forest."

"We don't know why they're coming out, but the way they're growing, Applejack thinks they'll cover all of Equestria!" Spike added, "And it's not just that! The clouds coming in from the Everfree are also somehow magical."

"Magic, really?" Tala asked.

"I'm an alicorn, she's a griffon, he's a dragon and you're a fairy pony," Twilight pointed out, voice dry, "which part exactly makes you skeptical?"

Tala crossed her tiny forelegs and humphed. "Just point me at the enemy."

"We don't know who the enemy is," Twilight said, standing up angrily. She turned around and walked out of the palace, the others following behind. "But we don't have time to think about it. We'll rendezvous with my friends in Ponyville, and figure out from there our next steps."

"How far is Ponyville from here?" Alejandra asked distractedly, her eyes roaming the palace and the architecture in wonder.

"We'll take the train, of course," Twilight replied, but then she gasped. "Oh, no! We need to make sure we don't miss it!"

"Wait!" Tala called out just as Twilight was about to gallop away.

"What?" Twilight asked, "We must hurry!"

"Sure," Tala agreed, "but first tell me… what are those?" she asked pointing with her tiny hoof to a pair of pegasi guards standing next to a chariot.

Alejandra aimed down the side of the chariot with her rifle. Looking through the scope, she could see the black vines slowly growing and reaching through the countryside. "I have to admit," she said, looking up to the others. "There is something very spooky about those things."

"I'm sure it's something we can kill," Tala said, fluttering over to take a look herself.

Alejandra leaned back to let the breezie look. "What do you mean?"

"Those things are not growing randomly. There's a will behind them, and an objective. If it were natural, why would they be speeding in the direction we're coming from?"

"That's a good point," the griffon acknowledged.

"Well figure it out," Twilight said, eyes ahead, searching the horizon. "Ponyville is just ahead, I hope you two are ready."

"Yes, ma'am!" Alejandra replied, grinning. "Locked and loaded."

"Captain Whirlwind." Twilight turned her head to look at the pegasus flying next to them. "I hope your pegasi are ready for the task ahead?"

The captain saluted. "Yes, Princess. You just need to give us orders."

"Excellent," Twilight said, trying to project her inner Chrysalis as Ponyville came up ahead. It was worse than she had anticipated; the whole town was covered in vines, dark and aggressive, and clouds attacked the few pegasi that tried to push them away.

She gathered her courage, took a deep breath and spoke as evenly as she could. "Everypony in that town is to be considered a civilian, Captain, except for the Elements of Harmony. I want a squadron of your best pegasi to fight off the clouds until the civilians have flown out. Those that want to help will follow your directions to keep the clouds away while the rest of your troops to coordinate with Alejandra here on a search and rescue at ground level.

"Given the size of the town, I expect you all to be done by the time I have finished updating the situation with the other Elements. Do you think you can do this, Captain?"

"Yes, Princess!"

Twilight nodded. "Then start your operation, we'll join you in the town soon enough."

The captain saluted and flew off, calling in for his troops to follow and splitting them as indicated by Twilight.

"Wow, Twilight," Spike said, eyes wide. "That was awesome!"

Twilight smiled gently and patted his head encouragingly. "Let's hope that's enough of a start."

o.0.o End Chapter 123 o.0.o

PreviousChapters Next