• Published 25th Jan 2018
  • 21,018 Views, 9,167 Comments

XCOM: Ranger - Wanderer D



Sunset Shimmer escapes Equestria... with unforeseen consequences.

  • ...
57
 9,167
 21,018

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 115: Reaction

Ranger

Chapter 115: Reaction

By Wanderer D

Twilight felt the initial pulse slide through the whole ship, a feathery, magical touch that was almost imperceptible to her. Almost. But she had noticed, and she sat up straighter, eyes wide, looking around her room, wondering if one of her experiments had reacted to something.

"What—" No. Not what. The real question was: why? That energy was intimately familiar to her. The Element of Magic had reacted to something happening somewhere.

"But what could have caused it to react like that?"

She felt another magical pulse, and this time, the whole ship shook. "Oh crap!" Twilight shouted, jumping to her feet. The instruments on her desk—which she had modified to be sensitive to magic—spiked, throwing readings of all sorts and beeping warnings.

She pulled out a world map on one screen. There were… three resonances?

Twilight blinked.

One was in the Avenger… that would be her…

Another one was in North America… the mirror? 'Could the mirror be active again?'

The third… was in India, where Sunset had gone to.

Twilight closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Not going that road again. She probably doesn't even know."

She opened her eyes and focused on the problem at hand, just as her communicator turned on and Chrysalis' face was on a small square of her screen. "Sparkle! What the hell is going on?"

"I'm trying to isolate the cause right now, Commander."

"Do what you need to do, Twilight, we're in the middle of a mission right now, I trust you can handle this yourself?" Even though it was technically a question, Twilight could sense it was more of an order.

"Yes, Commander."

"Good. Are there going to be any more pulses?"

Twilight grimaced. "Yes, most likely. But they are not harmful. The Element seems to be resonating with something. Now that I'm aware, as soon as I find out the real cause, it'll go back to normal. It won't affect any of the crew or the ship's instruments."

"I'll inform the crew. Make sure that you find out the cause. Even if it's not harmful it's giving some people headaches."

"I wonder what that means…"

"Focus."

"Yes, Commander!"

Chrysalis looked like she was about to say something else, but simply nodded and the screen disappeared.

There was only one thing she could do: wait for the next pulse. Just because Sunset pinged back when the Element of Magic sent a pulse, it didn't mean she was the cause for it. Twilight also had resonated to it… could it really be the mirror?

The table vibrated and Twilight's eyes went to her screen. But there was no match. "Wha…" Her eyes widened, and she looked down at the diary.

Dear Twilight,

This is Spike.

The pies have hit the fan We have an emergency!

There's a strange, black root that has been invading all of Equestria and we can't stop it!

Applejack and Big Mac are too busy to write, trying to keep them away from their apple trees, and Fluttershy, Rarity and everypony else is having a really hard time just stopping them from creeping into their homes! I've tried burning a few, but they are very resistant!

We don't know what to do! Both Princess Celestia and Luna have disappeared, and we have no idea where they are! Did you ever read about these things? They're completely black vines, with thorns. They're really long and they latch onto things and ponies.

We need your help!

~Spike

Twilight gaped at the message, just as another pulse from the Element of Magic echoed through the ship. Her instruments immediately indicated the pings, but only one returned a confirmed source: the statue at Canterlot High.

She immediately called the commander. Chrysalis appeared on her screen, not focusing on her, but rather on something happening out of Twilight's field of vision. "Yes?"

"I've figured out what's causing the echoes!" Twilight said, "My home is under attack! And the Element is trying to tell me to go back!"

Chrysalis turned to face Twilight. Eyes widening in comprehension, then narrowing with determination. "Get all the information you have and go to my quarters. We'll discuss this as soon as Menace's mission is over."

"Yes Commander."

Twilight broke the communication and took a pen.

Spike,

I don't know what those things are, but the Element of Magic reacted to them. I think they are related. I think the Commander will help us, please tell the girls I'll be there as soon as I can, or figure out a way to help.

Love,
-Twilight

For a moment, time seemed to stretch as Sunset fell back into the empty space behind her. Eyes wide, she couldn't but feel that the contempt of whoever was behind the Alien Rulers seeped to the Archon King itself.

She remembered vividly what the cost of a similar fall had been.

She had lost a loyal friend… her first friend.

Never again.

And definitely not while she had his grappling hook.

Her eyes focused on the Archon King, and she shot her hook at the modified alien. This was an unexpected move, apparently and the alien failed to dodge. The hook dug into its shoulder, and the line grew taut for just a second before the hook ripped out of the creature's shoulder with the sudden pull, making it roar in pain.

It didn't stop the fall completely, but the pull broke Sunset's fall enough to limit the damage to a sudden loss of breath, rather than broken legs, or worse.

"Sunset!"

"Jane, Elena! Where's the other Archon?!" Sunset shouted.

Several shots echoed in the base and a strangled roar followed. "Just took it down," Jane reported.

"Concentrate your fire on the Archon King! Laetitia you—" Sunset cut off, eyes wide as she noticed the still figure not too far away from where she had landed.

High above, the Archon King roared as he shot his pinions into the air. Sunset was up and running, diving down and rolling with Laetitia's body in her arms as death rained all around them. She felt shrapnel from the explosions cut her skin where it was exposed, and felt the impact of small stones on her armor.

She rolled onto a stop, with Laetitia unconscious under her, but thankfully still breathing. "When was Laetitia hit?! I thought it was just the arm wound!"

"It is," Chrysalis informed her on the comms. "Her stats are jumping all over. She wasn't hit by anything else, unless the Archon was using some sort of poison, should be fine."

Sunset groaned and rolled onto her back, aiming up with Arashi, letting loose a blast of black-purple energy that grazed the Archon King as it dodged to the side. "I know that thing! That's the Assassin's weapon! You killed her?!"

"Surprised?" Sunset snarled.

"Somewhat," the voice answered. "No wonder ADVENT calls you XCOM's Blood Witch."

"The what?!"

"I guess you don't watch the news? No matter. For now I shall leave you be… your new weaponry requires… some thought. I wonder what I can find out about you when I study you!" The voice punctuated the statement with a giggle, making Sunset grit her teeth.

She leveled Arashi at the Archon King, but it was already rushing into a portal and disappeared.

A distant explosion snapped Sunset back to reality. "Report!"

"That was the Turret," Elena responded. "Jane is on her way to your location."

"We have killed the ADVENT Captain and the lancers. Area is secure for now." Annette called in. "Angel and I will remain here and keep overwatch while you prepare the next move. There are no signs of more enemies at this time."

Sunset nodded, even knowing she couldn't be seen by the others. She carefully slid Laetitia's helmet off, "Let's recoup for now. Once Jane takes a look at Laetitia, we'll proceed."

A faint cough made Sunset look down. Laetitia's eyes fluttered open, just as Jane arrived with her GREMLIN ready. She made to sit up, but couldn't.

"Hey, hey…" Sunset said gently. "Hold on. Relax. Enemies are gone for now."

"I—" Laetitia shook her head, pushing herself up to a sitting position with Sunset and Jane's help. "I'm sorry… I don't know… what happened."

She looked down at her hands, flexing them, as if perplexed. Slowly, she frowned and energy built up around them. "My reserves suddenly gave away…" she gulped. "I'll be fine… just… I'll limit myself to using my gun for now."

"Sounds good…" Sunset nodded to Jane, who stood at the other side, and helped the Templar up. "Was it some sort of Psionic attack? Should we warn Annette?"

"No-no, it's not necessary." Laetitia steadied herself, and Sunset had to admit she looked a lot more sure of herself now. She silently handed her the helmet, which the other woman took, and secured. "I was just surprised… I must not have gotten enough rest. Très bien, I am ready to go."

"Alright," Sunset, touched the comms. "Elena, you're with me. We're sneaking towards the complex. We'll play a more defensive approach. Annette, you and Angel stay up there for now. Be our eyes." She turned to face Jane and Laetitia. "You two follow after Elena and I. I know you're usually front-line combat, but I want you on support for now, understood?"

The last she had said while facing Elena, who hesitated before nodding silently. Sunset nodded in response, then gave Jane a quick smile and a punch on the shoulder.

Jane winked. She understood the message.

"Come on then," Sunset said, turning to face the factory. "Elena, I'll meet you at the tracks, between the two boxcars North-East of the easternmost side of the building you're currently at."

"On my way."

Sunset signaled and started moving, with Jane following soon after, moving for cover. Laetitia, who stayed behind for a second, glanced up at the sun, then looked down at the factory, then at her hands. "Merde."

o.0.o End Chapter 115 o.0.o

PreviousChapters Next