• Published 17th Jan 2018
  • 2,745 Views, 107 Comments

Equestria Girls Xenoverse - MythrilMoth



Sunset Shimmer escapes through the mirror portal into a very different, very dangerous world of powerful warriors.

  • ...
16
 107
 2,745

The Terrifying Vice-Principal! The Truth About Planet Uma Revealed?!

Author's Note:

The power ranking system used for this story is not the same as the one used early in DBZ. There are two reasons for this:

1. This is a completely different universe, so it stands to reason they'd register and quantify power levels differently.
2. The arbitrary power level numbers from DBZ got incredibly silly up to the point where power levels stopped mattering anymore. It just makes sense for a mixed-blood warrior race to have an easily quantifiable scale that isn't based on constantly escalating and adding zeroes willy-nilly.

By the way, as of right now, seven arcs are tentatively planned for this story. We'll see where things go from there. I mean, it's Dragonball, it's gonna be several hundred chapters no matter what. n.n

In a remote corner of the courtyard of Harmony High, well outside of the notice of the faculty, two freshmen were goofing off. One was a tall, lanky Namekian with orange skin and droopy, glazed eyes that held a perpetually dim expression; he wore loose white breeches with a dark grey sash around his waist, a forest green tunic, and pointy red shoes that, coupled with his pointed ears, gave the overall impression of a particularly dimwitted elf. His partner in crime was a squat, rotund being with blue-grey skin and a bulbous head. His pudgy face and beady eyes gave him a thuggish look, while the larger pair of wide, small-pupiled eyes on the sides of his head made him somewhat resemble a toad. His squat, bulky body was squeezed into unflattering jeans, bright green hi-tops, and a black T-shirt with a pair of scissors on the front.

Presently, the two had cornered a small purple dog with floppy green ears, who was crouched against one of the school's six towers, whimpering and looking desperately for an escape route.

"C'mon doggie, show us a fighting pose!" the squat, round alien said in a raspy voice. "I bet you've got some fight in you!" He poked the dog with a gnarled stick.

The Namekian laughed. "Heheheh, I bet he can beat you up, Snips!"

"Excuse me," a soft voice said.

"You mean like I beat up your mom last night, Snails?"

"Umm...you boys should really be in class now, and—"

"Hah, you WISH, Snips! My mom could beat up you and your mom and your mom's mom and—"

"—really shouldn't be teasing that poor doggie, he's lost and scared and all alone—"

"I could eat your mom right now and poop you out five poop brothers that are all stronger than you!"

"—belongs to somebody, he has a tag, I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate it—"

"Ewww! Hahahahah, you're gross, Snips!"

Both boys suddenly stiffened as a massive spike in energy registered on their senses. They turned around in time to see a swarm of glowing yellow butterflies hovering all around them.

Their irises contracted to pinpricks.

A yellow blur appeared briefly behind them, disappearing with the dog they'd been teasing. A half second later, a massive explosion left a crater in the courtyard, at the bottom of which lay Snips and Snails, unconscious and battered.

"Let's get you home, you poor little guy," a soft voice crooned to the pup, who barked happily.

* * * * *

Sunset Shimmer stared, a chill running down her spine as nervous sweat beaded on her brow.

"Well?" the alien snapped impatiently.

Floundering for a moment, Sunset finally managed to find words. "Umm...I'm...not enrolled here yet?" she offered. "Just got here this morning, umm..."

"Ah," the alien said, frowning thoughtfully. "No wonder I didn't recognize you. Well then, if you'll—" She trailed off, tensing suddenly. "What in the—?"

Sunset started as an explosion rocked the campus. She followed the alien's gaze and saw a tremendous dust cloud billow up from the west courtyard.

"That can't be right," the alien muttered. Frowning, she barked at Sunset, "You. Come with me." She then rose up and began flying in the direction of the explosion. Numbly, Sunset started running after her. After a moment, the alien slowed down, hands on her hips in mid-air. "And just what do you think you're doing?" she snapped angrily.

"Uhh...following you?" Sunset offered nervously.

The alien snorted. "Che. Whatever, it's not as if she flies either," she muttered, resuming her course at a slower speed. When they rounded the corner, Sunset stared in disbelief at the scene before them.

The pristine courtyard was scarred by a deep, ugly crater; an entire section of the school's grand dome was blasted with upheaved dirt and grass. Two aliens lay unconscious at the bottom of the crater. Near the edge, an Uman girl was playing with a purple dog. The girl had smooth, pale yellow skin and long, lush cherry blossom pink hair, with wide, soft, expressive blue-green eyes and an innocent, unassuming face. Her arms and legs were slender and graceful. She wore a knee-length forest green skirt with a pink satin belt and an off-the-shoulder sweater with horizontal stripes in alternating shades of pale pink and dark wintergreen, which left the straps of her dark pink bra exposed. Open-toed, platform-heel green sandals with satin straps that crisscrossed up her shins halfway to her knees completed her ensemble. She looked up as they approached and let out a soft, terrified squeak. "V-Vice-Principal Luna," she whispered fearfully.

Vice-Principal Luna landed at the edge of the crater. "Fluttershy," she intoned coolly. She inclined her head behind her, punctuating her words with a pointed lash of her tail. "Would you care to explain?"

"I-I'm sorry!" Fluttershy squeaked, trembling in fear. "They were teasing this poor, lost little guy and they wouldn't stop no matter how politely I asked and I just couldn't—"

"Alright, enough," Luna said, massaging the bridge of her nose. "I get the idea." She frowned, peering back into the crater. "Serves these two idiots right for cutting class." She snorted. "The dog, it has tags?"

"Oh! Um. Y-yes ma'am."

Luna nodded. "See to it the dog is returned to its owner immediately, and warn them to keep better track of it," she said. She glanced at Sunset. "You. You're new to Umajin City, is that right?"

"Uh...y-yes ma'am," Sunset said.

"Go with Fluttershy, she can show you around," Luna said. "Besides, I won't have time to deal with you and your enrollment today anyway. I have to...discipline these two fools." She frowned. "And have the courtyard resodded. Again."

"S-sorry!" Fluttershy squeaked.

Luna snorted. "Rainbow Dash does far worse than this at least once a week just showing off," she said dismissively. "Out of my sight, both of you."

With another terrified squeak, Fluttershy swept up the dog and took off running, Sunset hot on her heels.

* * * * *

The Principal of Harmony High sat in her office, fingers flying across the keys of her keyboard, eyes diligently scanning student records, updating data from the tablet on her desk. Her intercom buzzed; she tapped it. "Yes?" she said crisply.

//Snips and Snails were caught cutting class again. I'm assigning them three hours in the Garden this time.//

The Principal's lips pursed. "Three hours? That's a bit...excessive."

//They're idiots. Pain is the only teacher they'll listen to.//

The Principal sighed. "Fair enough. And that explosion? That was them as well?"

//Not directly. It's more they took a beating from one of the other students over a matter of a dog they were teasing.//

The Principal blinked. "A dog...?"

//It seems Fluttershy objected...rather strongly.//

"...Fluttershy."

//It's a rather prodigious crater. I admit I'm impressed. I had no idea Fluttershy was capable of that level of destruction.//

The Principal sighed. "Right. What about the other thing?"

//Ah, yes. The new arrival. The portal's closed and she's stuck here, but she's already apparently made up her mind to bluff her way into the school.//

"Well then. I hope for her sake she's a quick learner. What's her name? I need to put her in the system."

//Sunset Shimmer.//

"Sunset Shimmer..." The Principal rapidly typed away at her computer. "Did you get a reading on her?"

//Mmm...I'd say she's about 4.5.//

"Right." The Principal's fingers danced across the keys. After several seconds of typing, a new entry appeared in the student registry:

SUNSET SHIMMER (U-S)
CLASS 1-C
SRb: 4.5
SRss1: N/A

"Where is she now?"

//With Fluttershy, finding the owner of the dog. She can get a little bit more experience with our world that way.//

"Alright. When she comes back, be sure to send her to my office."

//Of course.//

* * * * *

The two girls stood at a bus stop near the school. Sunset watched the flow of vehicle traffic curiously. She also watched the dozens of Umans who casually flew around overhead. "Umm..." Fluttershy said softly. "S-sorry for making you take the bus. I...I don't really like flying..." she added in a whisper.

"It's okay," Sunset said. "I don't feel like flying today."

"Oh, good," Fluttershy said. "Umm...s-sorry to ask, but...could you please, umm...lower your sentou-ryoku? It's just, umm...it makes me nervous to walk around with somebody who's powered up. Oh, b-but if you don't want to, I mean...it's okay..."

"I can't push it down any lower than this, sorry." It wasn't a lie—whatever fighting power Sunset's new body contained, she lacked the necessary skill to suppress it. That, and a number of other skills she now knew were second nature to the Umans. Which, apparently, included the ability to fly without wings—a skill Sunset was most eager to develop.

"Oh," Fluttershy whispered. "Oh my." She began trembling.

"Hey. Calm down, will you? You're gonna scare the mutt." The mutt in question barked once, showing no trace of fear.

Fluttershy visibly calmed down. "You're right," she said. "Umm...I'm F-Fluttershy. I didn't get your name..."

"Sunset Shimmer," Sunset said. "I'm...new."

"Oh. Um. Hi..."

"So, where are we taking the pooch?" Sunset asked, rocking on her heels casually.

Fluttershy gasped. "Oh my gosh, I forgot to check!" She passed the dog off to Sunset, then began fumbling around in her pockets. She pulled out a scouter with a green lens and hooked it on, then powered it up. It flickered, made an off-tone pattern of beeps, then went blank. Fluttershy frowned. "Oh, this old scouter," she grumbled. "I really need to get a new one but I always keep forgetting..." She looked up at Sunset. "I don't suppose we can use your scouter?"

Sunset shook her head. "Mine broke yesterday, haven't had time to get a new one."

"Darn," Fluttershy said. She sighed and tapped hers a few more times; with a loud beep, it finally began working again. She grasped the dog's tags and peered at them intently through the lens. "Hmm. Northwest District, Block 42, Street C...wow, that's a rich neighborhood. And really far away, I wonder what this little guy was doing way out here?"

"Well, let's hurry and get him home," Sunset said. She honestly didn't care one way or another about some random dog, but the sooner she got back to that school, the better off she'd be—or the worse, she honestly wasn't sure which. She did know that staying close to that statue, the one connected to the portal to Equestria, was her safest bet for escaping this death trap world.

The bus arrived, and the two girls boarded it. It rumbled off down a wide concrete road; Sunset observed the people aboard—mostly elderly Umans, with a few younger women who had small children with them, and two pregnant women. A number of the passengers were giving her odd looks; she met their stares with a cool, dispassionate gaze until they looked away.

"Umm, you, umm...really need to try to push your power down a little more," Fluttershy whispered.

Sunset frowned. "Like I said, this is the best I can do," she muttered.

"Ah! I'm sorry, it's just...people in this city aren't used to, umm, anyone over the age of four walking around showing that much power unless they're in a fight," Fluttershy said. "I mean, I know there are places where walking around powered up all the time is a thing people do, but here?" She hugged the little dog more tightly to her chest. It nestled in, letting out a happy, appreciative yip.

Sunset shrugged. They lapsed into silence for the rest of the long, slightly uncomfortable ride. Eventually, Fluttershy announced they'd reached their stop. They disembarked from the bus; Fluttershy checked something on her phone, then led them down a street lined with comfortable-looking two-story and three-story houses. They stopped at a plain-looking two-story house with a well-tended garden and lawn. Fluttershy approached the door, then hesitated, her hand halfway to the bell. Sunset rolled her eyes, reached out, and pressed the buzzer.

A minute later, a middle-aged woman with pale pinkish-grey skin and lavender hair with broad white streaks down the middle answered the door, wringing a dish towel. "Yes?" she asked. "Can I help—"

"SPIKE!" a voice from inside shouted suddenly. The dog yipped, jumped out of Fluttershy's arms, and rushed into the house. The woman at the door looked confused, her brow furrowed as she looked past the foyer.

"Umm, sorry to bother you," Fluttershy said, wringing the hem of her sweater. "We, umm...f-found your d-dog at Harmony High School. Our vice principal sent us to, umm, to b-bring him home..."

"Huh? But—"

"It's okay, Mom, it's totally my fault," a girl said. She walked into view, and Sunset's eyes widened.

She had lavender skin, expressive purple eyes magnified by black-framed glasses, and long violet hair with a bright magenta streak, tied up in a messy bun. She wore a plain dark blue skirt, a sky blue sweater, and white socks. She looked at the two girls gratefully, holding the purple dog at stomach level. "Thank you so much," she said. "I was in your part of the city looking for a bookstore that has this book I can't find anywhere else and he just got away from me! I came back home to make lost dog posters to put up, but I guess I got lucky and you found him. Umm...thank you."

"It's no problem," Fluttershy said, smiling reassuringly. "I know how it is, sometimes animals just wander off! Do try to be more careful with him, okay?"

"I will, don't worry!" the girl said. "Umm...I gotta go...homework. And gotta feed Spike. Thanks again!" She darted back into the house. Her mother watched her in confusion, then looked back at the two girls on the porch, shrugged, and closed the door.

"Oh my," Fluttershy said. "W-well...I guess mission accomplished? We should, umm...we should get back to school now..."

As they headed back to the bus stop, Sunset Shimmer's mind whirled.

*So...that's what this world is.*

A malevolent smile twisted her face.

*Now that...is interesting...*

* * * * *

"They're gone," Twilight Sparkle said, letting out a relieved sigh.

"Thank goodness," the raspy voice of a young boy answered from behind her. With a muffled explosion sound and a burst of smoke, the little purple dog was replaced by a short, slightly chubby boy with dark purple skin, slicked-back green hair, and bright green eyes who wore baggy red shorts, red and white sneakers, and a puke green T-shirt with the word 'DRAGON' stenciled across the chest in dark green. He took the dog collar he wore around his neck off and massaged his throat. "Don't ever make me do that again, Aneki," he groused.

"Sorry, Spike," Twilight said as Spike handed her the collar. "I'll make it up to you, I promise!"

"Yeah yeah," Spike grumbled dismissively, waving her off with a hand. "Hope you got what you needed out of all this."

Twilight used a tiny screwdriver to pry open the tag, removing a minuscule sensor assembly and a data chip. She fit the chip into a reader and slipped it into her personal computer, adjusting her glasses and pursing her lips. "You did good, Spike," she said. "It'll take some time to go through all the data." She sighed. "Why do I have to do this?"

Spike folded his arms. "Because you're literally useless for anything else?" he retorted.

Twilight glared at him. "Spike..."

Spike snorted. "I'm gonna go take a bath. I think I actually got fleas this time..."

Once Spike left the room, Twilight sighed, rolling idly around the room in her desk chair. She looked over at her bed, where her freshly laundered school uniform was laid out, ready to be put away. She absently fingered the fabric of the black bodysuit and stared at the gleaming purple elasteel armor with her school crest, a stylized purple S with a single wing extending from the top, outlined in gold, emblazoned over the left breast.

* * * * *

Upon returning to Harmony High School, Sunset Shimmer was immediately intercepted by Vice-Principal Luna. "Come with me," she said.

Sunset followed the terrifying-looking alien nervously through the corridors of Harmony High. She was led to a room at the very heart of the school, one which most of the students seemed to instinctively avoid like the plague. It served as the hub of the school, surrounded by a wide circular hallway lined with faculty offices. Stamped above each of the four entrances to the round room was the legend "ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE". The windows were blacked out.

Luna opened a door and ushered Sunset inside. Immediately, Sunset felt a terrible pressure on her body and almost fell down, but Luna caught her in a firm, crushing grip by the upper arm and steadied her.

"Sorry, that was rude of me not to warn you," Luna said in a somewhat mocking tone. "The gravity in this tower is the same as the gravity of Planet Sadala." She pulled a device from her dress and pressed two buttons on it; the pressure immediately eased up, and Sunset let out a shaky breath, her body trembling.

"Follow me," Luna said, floating toward a long, spiral staircase that stretched, to Sunset's dismay, up to the very top of the tower. Sunset swallowed.

*Is she insane?*

"I don't care to be kept waiting," Luna said impatiently. "Nor does the Principal." Sunset gulped, and hesitantly but deliberately followed her, exerting great effort in projecting an air of confidence and easy grace as she put one shaking, all-too-soft, hoofless foot in front of the other, desperately trying not to fall.

Luna floated backwards, watching her with some amusement. "Good," she said. "Good. You're terrified, but you don't want to show it. I respect that." Her cold green eyes regarded Sunset for a long moment as Sunset struggled her way up five steps, then another five.

"Isn't there...a faster way...up?" Sunset huffed after what felt like an eternity of climbing but, in fact, had been less than a minute.

Luna chuckled. "Not for you," she said. She flicked her tail imperiously. "I want to see what you're capable of, pony."

Sunset froze, nearly falling. "Wh-what?"

"We know what you are," Luna said. "The Principal and I. We know you came through the portal. We know you're one of those equines from that other dimension."

Sunset gulped. "I—"

Luna held up a hand. "I admire your bravado," she said. "You discovered you were trapped here, but you chose to hide your fear. You chose to bluff your way into being accepted as one of us. That takes courage."

Sunset faltered, looking down. "I...don't have anything to go back to," she said bitterly. "I made my choice. She...she wouldn't take me back now. Not after what I've done..." She clenched her fists at her sides. "I don't want to go crawling back, kiss her hooves and beg that old nag to forgive me..."

Luna raised an eyebrow. "My my," she said. "Something drove you here, something more than simple curiosity. I see." She chuckled. "Tell me, Sunset Shimmer: would you like to become strong? Would you like to see all your ambitions realized?"

Sunset looked up at her curiously.

Luna crossed her arms. "My sister is content with watching you find your own way in this world, to see how you adapt, to watch you try to blunder your way through learning how to be an Uman. I, on the other hand, think it would be far more interesting to train you personally." She smirked. "What do you say? Of course, no one can know you are my secret protege. Not even my sister. She would almost certainly intervene. I want to see how far I can push you, how far you can grow. We've never had a pony cross into this world before who remained here and lived to tell the tale. I'm...curious. Well?"

Sunset considered it for a long moment.

Whatever her answer was, she was here now. Stuck. She had no idea when the portal would open again, or even if the portal would reopen. Her own choices had led her down this path, and now she was at a crossroads. She had believed her only options were to find someplace to hide and pray she could survive living in this strange deathtrap of a world, or bluff her way through fitting in until she could somehow, on her own, learn to be one of these Uman creatures and survive on their terms.

And now, a third option had presented itself to her. One that was absolutely unnerving and daunting, and yet...

The part of Sunset Shimmer that had led her to secretly studying dark magic and ultimately to rejecting Princess Celestia, the part that had gotten her banished from the castle, the part that had led her here...

That part of her was severely tempted by Luna's offer.

Sunset stilled her arms at her sides, stood up straight, and looked Luna in the eye.

"I'll do it," she said firmly. "I'll become your student."

Luna smiled a cold, chilling smile. "Excellent," she said. "Now, for your first lesson: climb these stairs all the way to the Principal's Office."

Sunset groaned, but sighed and continued the impossibly long climb.

* * * * *

It was dark outside by the time Sunset reached the top of the stairs. Off to one side of the landing was a padded bench; she collapsed onto it, braced her hands on her knees, and panted, sweat dripping from her spiky bangs and every pore in her body, her clothes plastered to her skin. Luna, darkly amused, offered her a bottle of cold water, which she uncapped with trembling fingers and greedily gulped.

"I see we have a great deal of work ahead of us," Luna said with a resigned sigh. She produced a small, pale greenish-beige bean from her dress and offered it to Sunset. "Here, eat this."

Sunset frowned but did as told. The bean crunched as she bit into it. Several seconds later, she felt a surge of fresh energy flood her being. Her eyes widened. All of her fatigue from the long, arduous climb was gone. The pain in her knees and ankles, erased. She felt fresh and ready, as though she'd had a full night's sleep and eaten a hearty, filling meal.

Luna chuckled at her reaction. "Senzu beans don't exist in your world, I take it."

Sunset shook her head.

Luna snorted. "Come, we've kept my sister waiting long enough."

They ascended a shorter flight of stairs into a broad, lavish atrium decorated with columns, hanging plants, and objects d'art. The floor boasted marble tiles; Luna landed on her three-toed feet and walked down a wide burgundy carpet which led to a broad golden door. Sunset followed at a respectful pace.

As they approached, the door opened. "You're late," a voice from inside said.

A familiar voice. One that made Sunset's heart seize up in her chest.

"Apologies, Sister. It seems our...new student...has a bit of difficulty with long climbs." Luna led Sunset to the center of the room, where a massive dark wood desk stood, a tall, leather-backed chair behind it. The chair was currently turned to face the window, which looked out over the twinkling lights of the dark city below.

"I see," that familiar voice said again. The chair slowly turned.

Sunset felt her heart plummet into her toes even as she felt a terrible anger surge up from her belly, raging against the irony and injustice of the universe.

The woman behind the desk wore a crisp gold blazer over a royal purple dress blouse. Her skin was the light, fresh pink of strawberry milk. The massive mane of hair that spilled over her shoulders and down her back shone in thick spikes of pastel pink, green, and blue. Pale violet eyes regarded Sunset Shimmer calmly, curiously.

"Greetings, Sunset Shimmer. My name is Principal Celestia. Welcome to Harmony High."