• Published 9th Jan 2018
  • 2,159 Views, 5 Comments

Stars And Sunlight - Hawkysu

  • ...
4
 5
 2,159

Stars And Sunlight

“Aw dang heckity,” Sunset said. She rested her chin on her hands, staring dreamily into the distance. “I’m hella gay, dudes.”

“Isn’t… Isn’t the more pressing issue that you’re clearly still attracted to horses?”

“Ponies, Twilight.”

Those are just small horses,” Fluttershy added.

“Right.” Twilight rolled her eyes. “Ponies. That doesn’t make it any better.”

“Wouldn’t it be weirder if I wasn’t?”

“Come again, sugarcube?” Applejack pocketed her phone. “How would that be weirder?”

“I mean, like, I was born a pony, dudes. Of course I’m still into them.”

“We’re getting weird looks again.”

“Hold up, now. Why’re you talkin’ so funny?”

“What? I’m not talkin’ weird, homeslice.”

“You deffo are.” Applejack’s eyes went wide. She quickly covered her mouth as if trying to shove the words back in. “Dagnabbit, you got me doin’ it.”

Sunset sighed. “You all have things. You say ‘sugarcube.’ Rarity says ‘darling.’ Twilight says smart stuff and reads dictionaries. I wanted a thing.”

“Actually,” Twilight condescended, snapping her book closed, “it’s a thesaurus.”

“See?”

Applejack placed a comforting hand on her friend’s arm. “Is that really what’s goin’ on?”

“Of course. It’s not like there’s some strange reason I would suddenly talk and act so differently.” Sunset’s friends did not seem convinced. Perhaps the blushing and coy smile gave her away. Betrayed by her own cheeks, she sighed again. “Okay, okay, so, like, maybe I was trying to sound cooler. Starlight talks hella cool, dudes.”

“Starlight don’t talk like that, sugarcube.”

“Fascinating!” Twilight exclaimed. She rummaged through her bag for a pen. Failing to find one, she opted to gesture wildly. “A change in register brought about by someone’s perceived vocabulary. Tell me, Sunset, when you, uh, ‘chill’ with me, do you start using smart person words?”

“We’re both in honors English.”

“So?”

“Yes.”

“Ugh.” Rainbow Dash groaned. “Can we get back to the interesting stuff?”

“And what, pray tell, is that, darling?” Rarity asked, carrying a tray full of coffee. She gently set it on the table, nudging Twilight’s books out of the way.

“Sunset’s totally a furry too!”

The others slowly shifted their focus from Sunset to Rainbow Dash. For what must have been the longest seven seconds of Rainbow’s life, no one said anything. Fortunately, Rarity came to her rescue.

“Your lattes, dears, a chai, and my, ahem, hashtag PSL.”

Five pairs of eyes rolled in unison.

“I meant too as in also,” Rainbow stuttered. “Also in addition to being gay.”

“She does have a point.” Twilight sipped her latte. Catching onto Rarity’s insistent nudging, she put her books away. “You are a human attracted to a horse.”

“I’m a pony shaped like a human.”

“What I think Twilight is tryin’ to say, sugarcube, is that we’re concerned.”

“Do you have to say that every sentence?” Rainbow moaned.

“Contractually obligated.” Applejack stuck out her tongue. “Sugarcube.”

“Concerned about what? I’m totes fine, dudes.”

“Can’t you find someone closer?” Twilight adjusted her glasses. “Someone more, you know, real?”

Sunset narrowed her eyes. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Starlight lives in Equestria, Sunset. She can’t be here all the time.” Twilight placed her hand over Sunset’s, who pulled hers away. Twilight reached further, perhaps in an attempt to comfort her friend. Sunset did not make it easy. The others moved their drinks as Twilight scrambled over the table.

We should have done this someplace else,” Fluttershy lamented. “People are staring again.

“We just think it would be better if you dated someone who wasn’t also a horse.” Twilight righted herself as she explained. With varying levels of hesitation, the others nodded their agreement. “Someone real. Someone who can be here whenever you need her.”

Sunset’s blood boiled. She stood, slowly and dramatically. The others began to shrink away, afraid of what they released. Sunset clenched her fist in rage. Scalding liquid poured over her hand, staying true to its defining characteristic.

“Darling, doesn’t that hurt?”

“Yes,” Sunset said, voice strained. Tears formed in the corners of her eyes. “More than you know. If Starlight’s not real, then I guess I’m not either. I guess I’m also just a horse.”

“Pony,” Rainbow whispered to Applejack.

“What? That’s not what I meant at all.”

Shaking her head, Sunset held up a hand. Her lips trembled. “I know I should be mature enough to talk this out, but I think I burned my hand and I’m not emotionally stable enough to deal with you right now. I’m going to head out and cry in private.”

That’s what I do.

Sunset took off, pausing only to throw her cup somewhere near the trash can. She failed to hold back the tears until after she left the building, but she did succeed in not looking back. The chilly Fall air made her tears sting. It was nothing compared to the betrayal of friendship and flimsy coffee cups.

<<>>

Autumn in Ponyville was as usual. Local legends and national heroes had recently triumphed over ancient myth. To celebrate their victory, a few had gathered at a fancy café. To the uninformed, there was no functional difference between Equestria’s cafés and those on the other side of the mirror. However, the uninformed would be shocked to learn that either humans or ponies also had cafés.

This one had fewer vegan options.

“It was so heckin’ rad, dudes,” Starlight said. She sank into her hooves, staring dreamily into the distance.

“Why are you talking like that?”

“Huh? Because Sunset… Sorry.”

“Nevermind that, darling.” Rarity pushed Twilight aside, leaning forward until her nose smushed against Starlight’s. Starlight did not appreciate this. “You absolutely must tell me about the fashion!”

“The fashion?”

“The fashion! Twilight said humans wear clothes all the time.” Twilight nodded at this. Rarity continued excitedly. “I insist you tell me what’s in vogue.”

“I wore pants.”

“Pants!” Rarity exclaimed. She tossed her hooves in the air, as though throwing confetti. The other patrons did not react. It seemed Ponyville was used to this behavior. “What exactly are pants?”

Starlight looked to Twilight. Twilight looked to Starlight. After a brief series of expressions, Twilight spoke. “Rarity, we have pants in Equestria.”

“You own a pair.”

“No,” Rarity murmured, “I don’t think that’s correct.”

“They’re like socks, but connected at the waist. Or maybe a reverse sweater?” Starlight began to sweat under Rarity’s intense gaze. The more she tried to explain, the less confident she felt in pants. “Maybe I should draw them?”

“That is a marvellous idea.” Rarity produced a sketch pad, carefully nudging it between the drinks. “Do tell us more about your visit.”

“Do you always have this with you?”

“Yes. I heard you attended the most fabulous soirée.”

“Sounded more like a shindig to me,” Twilight offered.

“It was a premiere,” Starlight said flatly. “We have those in Equestria too. Sunset was telling me all about hands. Did you know they can do this?”

Starlight excitedly pushed her hooves together, producing a clip-clop. She frowned.

“You mean clapping?”

“No.” Starlight sighed. She sipped her pony latte. “Spike could do it. You know what was really weird? I couldn’t do magic in that world, but I didn’t even notice. Even when I was saving Sunset from Juniper Montage, I tried talking to her before using magic.”

“Oh!” Twilight’s ears perked up. “Really?”

Starlight thought for a moment. “Wait, I did technically try to use the mirror on her first. When that didn’t work, nothing but friendship.”

“We need to work on solving problems without magic.”

“It works out sometimes.”

“You clearly don’t remember the cloning incident.”

Ignoring the rude remark, Starlight turned the sketchpad around, proudly showing her skills. Rarity carefully considered the drawing. After an appropriately comedic amount of time, she turned to Starlight with a sweet smile.

“I have no idea what those are.”

<<>>

Sunset Shimmer angrily sipped on her latte. It had the exact right amount of foam and, though somewhat distorted now, the barista had crafted a lovely heart. Most importantly, this latte didn’t taste of betrayal. Yet, Sunset was tempted to toss it in the trash, but her friends weren’t around to witness the dramatic gesture. The bus didn’t have a trash can. She already felt guilty enough. No need to add littering to her list of crimes.

“My friends were the ones who insulted me,” she ranted at the bus driver, powering through the guilt with anger. “I should have a right to be upset and not feel bad about it.”

The bus man sighed. “Lady, if you want me to care, you’ll have to start from the beginning.”

“Oh, right.” Sunset sat. “I recently met this girl from back home, and we really hit it off, I felt—”

“That was not an invitation.”

Sunset leaned back, resting her head on the rattling window. She knew she was overreacting to her friends’ careless callousness. A rational adult would return their texts. She had already made a fool of herself. Either she would have to be mature and swallow her feelings or be incredibly immature and wallow in them. The latter sounded better.

“It’s just that, ever since I came here and stopped trying to get revenge on a distant pony princess, I’ve been worried that my friends don’t actually like me. I know it’s ridiculous, but I’m worried I’ll mess everything up. I don’t want them to hate me. They used to.”

“Ma’am, I’m sure this conversation is interesting to someone.” The bus made a wide turn. “Not me, though.”

“I know.” Sunset laughed nervously. “Do you think I’m overreacting?”

“Sure.”

“But they said she wasn’t real because she’s from Equestria!” Sunset stood suddenly, wobbly, and angrily. Her latte spilled slightly. She tried to take a deep, calming breath. She managed to take several shallow breaths. “What if they don’t think I’m the real Sunset?”

The bus screeched to a halt, sending Sunset into the windshield. “Get off my bus.”

“What?” Sunset righted herself. Somehow, her coffee remained intact.

“You heard me.”

“You’re kicking me off because I was complaining too much?”

“I’m kicking you off because it’s the end of the line.” The bus driver gestured outside. Just across the street was Canterlot High, not her apartment. Sunset had been so wrapped up in her issues, she hadn’t realized she got on the wrong bus. “And because you complained too much. Get off my bus.”

Nodding glumly, Sunset walked off the bus. The driver shot her one last glare.

“Next time, put a lid on it.”

With that, the bus chugged down the street. Sunset stared at her school’s campus. The new statue had finally been installed. Instead of just one rearing stallion, Principal Celestia opted for a herd of small horses. They kept the base the same, of course, in case any foreign royalty wished to visit. Sunset leaned against the base. While with Starlight, she’d been good about not writing to Twilight. She didn’t want to burden the princess, but she was quickly running out of friends. Sunset pulled out her book.

She was not shocked to discover she had forgotten it.

“Yeah, none of you are doing it for me,” Sunset said, staring up at the stone ponies.

Then Sunset had an idea. An impulsive idea.

A horrible, impulsive idea.

<<>>

“But how in Equestria would a pony wear these?”

“You know pants already exist, right?”

“Don’t sound right to me.”

“Fine.” Twilight cleared her books off her table, resigned to the fact she wouldn’t be able to finish her preparations. She might as well offer her critique. Rarity always valued the input of her friends. “They should have four legs.”

“Yes, darling, your opinion has been noted. Again. These would go over the hindquarters.” Rarity gestured to her drawing, which was far more detailed than Starlight’s earlier sketch. “Only two legs.”

“Have you thought ’bout just the front legs?”

“Oh. That is,” Rarity struggled to find the right words, “certainly an idea. You are most creative, Applejack. I’ll need a model for these designs. Perhaps you’re free?”

“Rare, you know I ain’t much for that sort of thing.”

“You would look very cute, darling.”

Applejack blushed. Twilight rolled her eyes.

A strange light filled the room. The three ponies turned their heads to the usually darkened corner of the library. An orange blur rolled out of the mirror, crashing through several stacks of books. The orange blur, revealed to be a unicorn, stood slowly. She stumbled around on her hind legs, waving her forelegs for balance. In her struggle, she dropped her cup, spilling her latte on the floor.

“Aww.”

“Sunset Shimmer?”

“That’s me!” Sunset waved a hoof. She glanced from Twilight to herself and back to Twilight. She sheepishly lowered herself to all four legs. “Sorry, still weird to do that. That’s what I said to Starlight last time. Is she here?”

“What are you doing here?” Twilight immediately started packing. “Is there something wrong in the human world and you need my help?”

“Our help?” Rarity and Applejack asked hopefully.

Shaking her head, Sunset laughed. “Nothing like that. I’m here for a visit.”

“Oh. That is,” Twilight struggled to find the right words, “certainly an idea. If I had known you were planning to visit, I’d have finished cleaning. It’s a little bit crazy around here.”

Twilight gestured to the library, which was more of a disaster than usual. While she wouldn’t say she liked the look, the alicorn had adjusted to empty shelves and piles of books. Rarity and Starlight offered to help her sort. Twilight regretted accepting.

“It’s not a problem, Twilight. You don’t need to impress me.” Sunset did a little piaffe. She appeared to be fascinated with her new legs. Technically, her old legs. “I should have sent a text. I forgot the book back home.”

“A text?”

“I’m being so rude.” Sunset hurried over to the table.”You must be Rarity and Applejack. We haven’t met. Well, I’ve met you, but not actually you. I’m Sunset Shimmer.”

“Oh, yes, darling, we’ve heard a lot about you.” Rarity reached out a hoof.

“Only good things, I hope,” Sunset responded with a nervous chuckle. She slowly extended her hoof to meet Rarity’s. They collided with a soft clop. The pair stood like that for a few seconds before Rarity began shaking up and down. They grinned the way a pony does when she knows a situation is uncomfortable, but doesn’t know how to escape it.

“It’s good to finally meet you,” Applejack said, freeing them. “It’s been a minute since you were last in Equestria, right?”

“Lots of minutes!”

“So, Sunset,” Twilight interrupted, “how long were you planning on staying?”

“I hadn’t thought about it. You don’t mind, do you?” Sunset craned her neck, surveying the room. “You’re always saying I should visit. Nice castle, by the way. Congratulations.”

Twilight laughed nervously. “I have said that.”

“Great! Is Starlight Glimmer around?”

“She’s in the map room right now.”

“Double great!” Sunset took off without hesitation, galloping down the halls.

Twilight collapsed to the floor. The princess was replaced by a miserable, groaning blob. Rarity and Applejack eyed each other. Rarity nodded. Applejack knelt next to the blob, placing a comforting hoof on what were probably shoulders.

“You alright?” She asked.

“Why wouldn’t I be alright?” Twilight replied. She rolled over, extending her hooves to the ceiling. Her mind raced through all the possible scenarios. Each ended horribly. “Sunset showed up unannounced on today of all days. Everything is great.”

“I’m sure Sunset will be fine, darling.”

“It’s not Sunset I’m worried about. Princess Celestia is coming today.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah.”

Sunset poked her head back into the library. “Could you, uh, point me in the right direction?”

<<>>

Starlight Glimmer felt uneasy. It hadn’t been long since her last map adventure, and she wasn’t quite over it yet. Mapventure. Pinkie would like that. Starlight made a mental note to casually work that into a conversation the next time she saw her. Until then, she was free to lament that the map was sending her to the Crystal Empire of all places.

“Dude!”

Starlight’s ears perked up. She hadn’t heard that voice in days. Not since she cleverly talked her way into visiting another world. Her heart fluttered. She turned slowly, letting her excitement build. With luck, all her hopes and expectations would pay off with a dramatic reveal. She was sure to flip her mane in the most alluring way.

Twilight leaned against the door.

“Oh.” Starlight frowned. This was not the payoff she was hoping for.

Sunset Shimmer stepped out from behind Twilight. Her mane bounced adorably as she shyly stepped forward. Starlight blushed. Sunset blushed deeper.

“Oh!” Starlight unfrowned. “Dude.”

“Dude!” Sunset responded. The two ran toward each other, embracing. “Aw, dude.”

“Dude!” Starlight danced around Sunset. “Bro!”

“What is happening?” Twilight asked nopony. Nopony responded.

“Aw heck, bro. What are you doing here?”

“I came here to see you, bro. The real Starlight Glimmer.”

“That’s a really sweet and oddly phrased thing to say.”

“No bigs, brah.” Sunset tried to coolly run a hand through her hair. She clumsily hit herself in the head with a hoof.

Starlight laughed. She glanced back at the map. Immediately, all joy left her. “Aw, Sunset, I wish I had known you were coming. The map’s asked me to help with a friendship problem in the Crystal Empire.”

“I understand all of those words individually.” Sunset’s eyes shimmered. “I’ll come with you!”

“What?” Twilight asked, mostly out of surprise.

“What?” Starlight asked, also out of surprise.

“What?” Sunset asked, as if their surprise was the weird thing. “I mean, if it’s okay. I get that it’s important friendship business, and I wouldn’t want to mess with that.”

“We’ve never had someone else come along. Unless you count that one time with Spike, but that was in Ponyville.”

“I think it’s a great idea!” Twilight suddenly said. She grabbed a pair of saddlebags, shoving them toward the two ponies. Before they could even say thanks, Twilight had ushered them out the door. “It’s a long way to the Crystal Empire. A lot of ground to cover.”

“But the train doesn’t leave until tonight.”

“Well, you both probably have a lot of catching up to do.” Twilight paused. She made a disgusted face. “Dudes. See you when you get back. Have a great trip, bye.”

<<>>

“Hey, Applejack, check out my hands!”

“I ain’t fallin’ for that again, Rainbow.”

“Falling for what? I’m just establishing that we still have hands, as usual.”

“Uh huh.” Grinning, Applejack leaned in. “Y’sure you aren’t just tryin’ to distract me?”

“Already did!” Rainbow responded. A man with a deep voice proclaimed Rainbow Dash’s victory. Cheering, the girl mimicked her character’s dance. Applejack would’ve been embarrassed for her if it hadn’t been so endearing. Rainbow stuck out her tongue. That was less endearing. “That’s what? Five in a row?”

Applejack grumbled. Grinning, Rainbow Dash playfully jabbed at her arm.

“Another round? You might almost win this time.”

“Temptin’. But I think somebody scheduled band practice.”

The pair left the arcade. Rainbow marched proudly down the road, obviously still feeling triumphant from her victory. Applejack was less happy. She cast a nervous glance to Rainbow. Taking a deep breath and crossing her arms, she stepped in front of the other girl.

“Look, Dash, I didn’t want to bring this up, but we need to talk.” Applejack bit her lip, trying to organize her thoughts. “About what you said to Sunset earlier.”

Rainbow laughed nervously. “I just think it’s funny that Sunset’s also a furry. In addition to being gay. I’m not one.”

“Not the furry thing, sugarcube.” Applejack let out a frustrated sigh. She’d never actually pulled teeth before, but she imagined it wasn’t much different. “The other thing. Are you uncomfortable ’bout us?”

“Of course not.” Rainbow’s smile faded. “Why would you think that?”

“Sometimes, uh,” Applejack tried to pick her words carefully, “your attitude towards sexuality makes it seem like you think bein’ into women is funny.”

“Heh. Sexuality.”

“Nevermind,” Applejack said sharply. She decided pulling teeth would be easier. “Good talk.”

Applejack walked away, shaking her head. If she was in the comics section of the paper, a scribbly black cloud would follow overhead. She settled for slouched shoulders and kicking the ground.

“Wait, AJ.” Rainbow grabbed her arm. “I’m sorry. I didn’t realize it was such a big deal. I mean, it’s not like I have a problem with that. I’m dating you. Plus, you know.”

Rainbow Dash gestured at her outfit.

“I think it’s great you’re so comfortable with yourself, Dash, but not everyone is. It took me years to be okay with that. Makin’ jokes can remind people that others will treat ’em less ’cause they’re not straight.” Applejack narrowed her eyes. “That some people will treat ’em like a joke.”

“So, what? I can’t make jokes anymore?”

“You guys!” a loud voice interrupted. The pair turned to see Pinkie racing down the street. Her face was covered in whipped cream. Her hot chocolate was not.

“This ain’t over, sugarcube,” Applejack whispered.

“We ain’t over,” Rainbow replied. She tried to convey how cool and calm she was with her humorous tone. Applejack knew her too well. Grabbing Applejack’s hand, Rainbow stared with worried eyes.

Applejack squeezed. “No, we ain’t.”

“How totally crazy is it that I ran into you?” Pinkie asked cheerily as she caught up to the pair. She licked the whipped cream off her nose.

“Pinkie, we’re all meeting for band practice,” Rainbow said flatly.

“Not crazy at all,” Applejack agreed.

“Oh, right!” Pinkie laughed. Stepping between the pair, she hung her arms around them and merrily led them down the road. Applejack and Rainbow Dash eyed each other, smirking.

“Either y’all seen Sunset lately?”

“Nope.”

“Isn’t she right there?”

The pair followed Pinkie’s outstretched hand. Sunset Shimmer leaned against the wall, casually checking her phone. Instead of her usual leather jacket, she wore an oversized hoodie. She looked as if she hadn’t slept in days. She ignored the trio as they approached.

“Sunset!” Pinkie exclaimed.

Sunset jumped, dropping her phone. She stared at the three with wide eyes. Slowly, she retrieved her phone, checking it for damage. The three wrapped her in a tight hug. Sunset grimaced and pushed them away.

“Personal space, please.”

“Oh my gosh! We were so, so worried about you! We haven’t seen you for days! Days! Not at school, or the coffee shop, or Applejack’s farm, or school again!”

“I think she knows where she hasn’t been, Pinkie.”

“We thought you ran away and never wanted to speak to us again!”

“Well, you’re half right,” Sunset muttered. “I think you have me confused for somebody else.”

The three shared a confused glance. Sunset slowly stepped away. Putting on her best apologetic smile, Applejack moved forward. She placed a comforting hand on Sunset’s shoulder.

“I’m sorry ’bout how we acted, Sunset. We shouldn’t’ve said things that way.”

“Or at all!”

“Right,” Applejack said, resisting the temptation to roll her eyes. “We shouldn’t have said any of that. It ain’t our business to comment on who you like. We didn’t mean to hurt you, sugarcube. You’re our friend; we should support you.”

Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie nodded.

“Alright. Apology accepted.” Sunset started backing away. “No need to continue talking, right?”

“You’re not coming to band practice?” Rainbow asked. “Come on, we apologized. You can’t still be mad.”

Pinkie nodded solemnly. Applejack shook her head, her hand becoming intimate with her face.

“We understand if you still need time, sugarcube.” Applejack gave Rainbow a stern look before turning back to Sunset. “Just don’t go runnin’ off to Equestria without tellin’ us, okay? We were worried ’bout you.”

“Equestria?”

“Did you cut your hair?” Rainbow interrupted.

Sunset pulled up her hood and folded her arms across her chest. She shyly glanced at the ground.

“I thought it would look nice.”

“It looks great.”

“Oh!” Sunset blushed, not looking up. “Uh, thanks, blue gal.”

“Blue gal?” Rainbow mouthed. The other two shrugged.

“I really need to get going,” Sunset suddenly said. “Bye.”

Before the trio could respond, Sunset took off. Applejack glanced to Rainbow and Pinkie. She chewed her lip, thinking. Part of her wanted to chase after their friend and force her to actually talk about her feelings. Another part worried it would only push Sunset further away. Applejack looped her arm around Rainbow Dash. She’d talk when she was ready.

<<>>

Sunset turned into the nearby alley and whipped out her phone. She had already dialed the number before she realized what she was doing. Hesitating for a moment, Sunset weighed her options. She took a deep breath and hit call.

Sunset immediately hung up.

Before she could decide if she did the right thing, her phone started ringing. She knew she shouldn’t answer. But she shouldn’t have called in the first place, and it would be rude not to pick up.

“Hello?”

“Sunset? Is that really you?”

It felt good to hear that voice. Sunset slid down the wall, phone pressed against her ear. The alley was silent.

“Hello?” the voice prompted. “Sunset?”

“Oh, sorry.” Sunset blushed. Good thing no one could see her. “It’s been a while. I forgot.”

“Forgot how to use a phone? They’re pretty straightforward. You talk into them.”

“I don’t know how to say this.” Sunset paused. Her heart thundered in her chest. It was not a pleasant feeling. “I’m in town. I just had the weirdest day. I know I owe you an explanation, but I really need someone to talk to right now. I’d like to see you.”

The voice was quiet.

“If that’s okay,” Sunset hastily added.

“Yeah,” Starlight responded. “I think I’d like that too.”

<<>>

“So,” Sunset said, trying to break the awkward silence. “Crystal Kingdom, huh?”

“Empire, actually.”

“That’s wild.”

“Yep.”

“When I was Celestia’s student, the Crystal Empire was sort of a myth. Back home, there’s a school full of bullies called Crystal Prep. Well, not full of bullies,” Sunset quickly backpedaled. “Twilight went there. The other Twilight. Really, they were all under a lot of pressure to be the best. Sorry, I’m rambling a lot.”

“I know what that’s like,” Starlight said glumly. She stared out the window, ears drooped. The tower of the Crystal Empire’s castle loomed in the distance.

“Rambling or?” Sunset trailed off. “Do you wanna talk about it?”

“No.”

“You sure?” Sunset stretched across the seat, poking her head out from under Starlight’s leg. It took some effort to wiggle into this position. Starlight giggled. Lifting her leg so the other could position easier, Starlight turned to face Sunset. Sunset smiled. She was good at bonding.

“The map keeps sending me to fix friendship problems for all these important ponies.” Starlight stood, pacing down the aisle. Sunset frowned at losing her comfortable position. “I’m still new to this whole friendship thing. Why does the map think I’m sort of expert?”

“I know how you feel. It’s like trying to figure out magic, uh—” Sunset gestured with her hoof “—back there. I don’t know how it works, but everyone expects me to because I’m from here.”

“My first instinct is always to use magic. I mean, sure it’s worked out once or twice.”

“I got magic here. It had rules. I was good at it. But magic is so new and different there.”

“But it usually doesn’t. I’m supposed to try to solve problems without magic.” Starlight hid her face in her hooves, slumping against the seat. “Why can’t I just do things right?”

“You didn’t use magic when you stopped Juniper Montage.” Sunset reached over to grab Starlight’s hand. Unfortunately, she had hooves and misjudged. There was a small bonk as she collided with Starlight’s head. “Heh, sorry. You can do this, Starlight. You know how to work without magic. I’ve seen you do it. I’ll be with you to keep you on track.”

“I didn’t notice I couldn’t do magic when you were around,” Starlight said shyly.

"I didn't worry about magic when you were around."

“I told you I would be a good distraction.”

Sunset moved to the floor so she could lean on Starlight. She was careful to keep her horn away from Starlight’s eyes. “You were.”

“Dude,” Starlight said softly.

“Dude.”

<<>>

“Then she says, ‘Thanks, blue gal.’” Rainbow gestured wildly, nearly knocking over her human latte. “Blue gal!”

“Maybe she was just tryin’ to be funny, Rainbow. You know Sunset’s got a weird sense of humor.”

“I think she’s being mind controlled.”

“She’s probably still just mad, sugarcube.”

“Why would she be mad at me? Twilight was the one who said ponies don’t count as people.”

“I did not,” Twilight protested.

“You totally did!” Pinkie said cheerfully. “But that wasn’t Sunset Shimmer! Sunset’s hair is, like, all the way down here and her hair was all the way up here! And she smelled different!”

Pinkie fixed her hair as she spoke, providing a fairly accurate, if pink, representation of Sunset’s hair. The other three stared at her. She grinned back.

“I can’t tell if she’s joking,” Rainbow whispered.

“I’m not!”

“So, what do we do?”

“Give her space,” Applejack suggested.

“We’ve been doing that for days! Days!”

“I had an idea,” Twilight said quietly as she retrieved a book from her bag. The symbol on the cover made it immediately clear. The others gasped.

“Is that Sunset’s journal?”

“Cellbook!” Pinkie corrected. “No! Bookphone!”

“How’d you get it?” Rainbow asked. “Didja steal it?”

“What? No.” Twilight pulled away. She felt guilty for even grabbing it in the first place. She meant to return to Sunset immediately, but the option hadn’t presented itself yet. “She left it at the coffee shop. I didn’t want it to get lost.”

“I don’t like the idea of snoopin’ through our friend’s stuff.”

“I’m not snooping,” Twilight said. “I was planning to ask Princess Twilight for advice.”

Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash turned to Applejack with an expectant look. Applejack shrugged.

“I already protested. ’Sides she might have good advice.”

Twilight took a deep breath and opened the journal. So she was just going to write a pony princess who was the alternate horseworld version of herself. Nothing weird there. She probably wouldn’t tell her parents about this. They were already concerned.

Twilight resisted the temptation to read Sunset’s messages. Barely.

Dear Princess Twilight,
It’s Twilight. I know this is weird. It’s weird for me. Talking to myself? That’s just crazy.

“Twilight?” Applejack interrupted. “Maybe less of that?”

“Sorry, sorry.” Twilight paused. She shoved the book to Applejack. “You do it.”

“Me?” Applejack pushed it back. “You, uh, already started writing.”

“I’ll do it!” Pinkie said, grabbing for the journal.

“No,” Applejack and Twilight answered flatly.

We are concerned about Sunset. Sunset Shimmer.

“I think she knows who Sunset is,” Rainbow interrupted.

She’s been acting weird. She hasn’t been coming to school. I haven’t seen her since the weekend.

“Does Equestria have weekends?”

“Should you call her weird in her own journal?”

“Bookphone!”

Is there anything you can do to help?
Sincerely,
Twilight Sparkle

“Sincerely?” Pinkie exclaimed. She grabbed Twilight’s face in despair.

“Too formal?” Twilight asked through her smushed cheeks.

“Duh!”

Twilight closed the book. All four stared at it, waiting for some sign that Princess Twilight actually got the message. They stared for a long time.

“Is something supposed to happen?” Rainbow asked. She did not try to hide the boredom in her tone.

“We just have to wait until the other Twilight writes back.” Twilight checked to make sure the book wasn’t on silent. The book gave no indication of its volume. She collapsed on the table, staring at the journal. “Whenever that is.”

“I’m bored. I’m gonna go spy on Sunset.”

“Ooo! Me too!”

The two dashed off. Applejack groaned, rubbing her temples. She gently nudged Twilight. “I better go keep ’em out of trouble. You’ll be okay, sugarcube?”

“Yeah,” Twilight lied. She absentmindedly played with the pen, eyes still locked on the journal. “I just wish I could take it all back. I didn’t realize I would upset her so much.”

“Sunset’s not the sensitive type. I guess we should have given her time to get over her crush.”

“What if it’s not just a crush, AJ?” Twilight shifted her gaze to Applejack, her chin pressed firmly against the cover of the journal.

“Then you’ll be a good friend and support her.” Applejack smiled. She pulled out her phone, which vibrated incessantly. “And I’ll be a good friend an’ help you eat buckets of ice cream.”

Returning her phone it’s pocket home, Applejack pinched the bridge of her nose. “Twi, how long’s it been since they left?”

“Less than a minute.”

“Hmm, that’s gotta be a record.” Applejack nodded slowly. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go drive Dash an’ Pinkie to the hospital. Again.”

<<>>

“I must say, Princess Twilight, this is quite the feast. I’m impressed you could arrange this on such short notice.” Princess Celestia smiled down at her old student. Twilight beamed back. As usual, Twilight seemed happy for praise. Celestia wish she’d remembered to bring her gold stars.

“I’m so happy we finally get a chance to talk. So much has happened.”

“Oh? Such as?”

“Oh, um—” Twilight avoided Celestia’s gaze “—you know. Stuff.”

Celestia nodded sagely. “Of course.”

The princesses sipped their tea. The castle’s decorations definitely had Rarity’s touch to them, though they were confined to the banquet hall. Twilight’s friends had tried to subtly steer Celestia away from the rest of the castle. She decided to play along. Celestia eyed her student. Twilight squirmed in a way the princess hadn’t seen in some time. Celestia did a quick headcount. She knew she shouldn’t broach the subject. It wasn’t her place to interfere.

But she couldn’t resist meddling.

“Twilight, I notice that Starlight Glimmer isn’t here,” Celestia pried. “Will she be joining us?”

“Oh, no no no no,” Twilight noed. “She’s away in the Crystal Empire.”

“Yeah!” Pinkie excitedly joined. “She’s solving a friendship problem with Sun—”

“With Sunburst!” Twilight interjected. Her glare at Pinkie did not go unnoticed. “The map called her to be with Sunburst. In the Crystal Kingdom. Empire. Not here. The Crystal Empire.”

“Oh, of course.” Celestia resisted a devilish laugh. She did allow herself a sly grin. “I just hope she isn’t avoiding me. I’ve not seen her since she forced my sister and me to switch to places.”

Celestia leaned back as Rarity and Pinkie Pie spat out their drinks. Twilight was unlucky enough to be caught in the blast. She glared at the pair. Rarity covered her mouth, trying to regain some dignity. Pinkie collapsed laughing.

“My dear princess, we are so deeply sorry for her behavior.”

“Don’t worry, Rarity,” Celestia reassured her. She refilled the pair’s drinks and offered Twilight her napkin. She had a feeling Twilight would need another soon. “It was an enlightening experience. I would have never learned she dreams I am a power-mad tyrant otherwise.”

Celestia leaned away again. Twilight did not move fast enough.

“Thanks,” Twilight muttered.

“For all your gifts, my student, you were always unfortunate at the dinner table. I would love to have the opportunity to speak with her, though. When do you think she will be back?”

“That’s difficult to say.” Twilight wringed out the napkins as she looked around the table. Celestia got the feeling she was trying to avoid eye contact. “We can take a trip to Canterlot when she returns.”

“It’s fine, Twilight.” Celestia paused. “I’ll wait until she gets back. I am overdue for a vacation.”

“Oh. That is…” Twilight seemed to struggle to finish her sentence. Fortunately, Rarity was willing to do so.

“A marvellous idea.” Her eyes sparkled. “I hope you don’t mind me asking, Princess, but have you ever heard of pants?”

“Yes, I own a pair.”

“Hm, no. That doesn’t sound right.”

“Sorry, Rarity, that came out wrong. I would love it if you described pants to me.”

<<>>

The table shook violently. Starlight quickly snatched her coffee before it spilled. She raised an eyebrow at Sunset. “Still doing that, huh?”

“Sorry.” Sunset shifted and stopped bouncing her leg. Leaning forward, she started tapping the table in a rapid arrhythmic beat. Starlight sighed. That was not better.

“Tell me about these girls. You’re sure you didn’t recognize them?”

“I’ve never seen them before. I think they’re all high school; they were, like, super young.” Sunset stopped tapping. “But who cares about that? They mentioned Equestria, Starlight! I’m not crazy.”

“That’s debatable,” Starlight muttered. “Sorry. That was mean. What are you going to do?”

“I… don’t know.” Sunset started bouncing her leg again. Frustrated, Starlight grabbed her. Sunset stopped.

“Sunset, why did you come back?”

Sunset looked away. Starlight kept her grip and her gaze locked. This was a waiting game, and Starlight was prepared to wait a long time. Well, at least for a few seconds.

“Sunset.”

“I’ve been talking to someone. This was supposed to be a way for me to let go of my obsession with Equestria. Get back to where it all began and restart. I spent so long searching for it, Starlight. I dropped out of school so I could spend more time searching. I lost everyone I cared about. I almost lost myself.”

“So dramatic.”

“What?” Tears in her eyes, Sunset tried to pull away. Starlight tightened her grip. “How can you say that?”

“I tried calling you. I texted you every day for months. I even wrote you letters.”

“I meant to respond,” Sunset said quietly.

“But you didn’t. I called the school. No one had heard from you. I thought you were dead, Sunset.” Starlight took a deep breath, trying to reign in her anger. She did a bad job. “Either that or you were right.”

“I really did. I just didn’t know how. What to say.”

“I did the only thing I could.” Starlight finally released Sunset. A white imprint of her hand remained. “I started looking for Equestria too.”

Sunset rubbed her wrist. “Even though you thought it wasn’t real?”

“Turns out, I was wrong.”

“Or those girls are just as crazy as us.” Sunset paused. “Sorry, misguided.”

“No, they aren’t. Did you really start talking to a therapist?”

“I, um, eventually realized I needed some help. She thought visiting my home and reconnecting with old friends would help me move on or something. I was too nervous to listen to her reasons. I should probably talk to her about that.” Sunset blushed. “She thinks I should emphasize my relationships with real people. Not, uh, ponies.”

“Oh.” Starlight stared at her cup in silence. “Sunset, Equestria is real. I don’t know how to get there, but there are people in this world from there. There’s Equestrian magic here. I’ve seen it firsthand.”

“Oh.”

“You really had no idea? I assumed you came back because of all the weird stuff that’s been going on.”

“Equestria is real? Like, really real?”

“Yeah.” Starlight smiled awkwardly. It was the closest she could get to comforting. “I know it’s a lot to take in, dude. How do you feel?”

“I wish I hadn’t spent so much on therapy.”

<<>>

“Rare, I don’t think I can do this,” Applejack whispered. She stretched her legs. The material caught as she moved.

“Of course you can, dear,” Rarity said, fastening the button. Her eyes sparkled as she spoke. “You are a beautiful, talented pony. You can do anything you set your mind to. Now, get out there and show the princess the future of fashion.”

Applejack blushed. “You mean that?”

Rarity gently kissed her cheek. “You know I do. Remember to pose.”

With that last remark, Rarity pushed Applejack through the curtain. The lights dimmed briefly before the spotlight went on. Music began to fill the hall. Rarity had done shows before, but never something so important to the history of fashion. Save for those few times she did. She smiled as Applejack strutted down the catwalk. She’d done all she could now. It was up to her friends to bring this home. Applejack stuck out a leg, striking an elegant pose.

“Did you see that?” Rarity asked excitedly. “She’s been practicing.”

That’s nice.

Rarity turned her attention to the small crowd of models. She could not have found a better selection of free amateur models on such short notice. Her friends really came through. Humanity may have invented the blue jean, but Rarity perfected it. Of course, she had much more spectacular plans in store.

“I must speak with our guest of honor,” Rarity addressed the models. “Remember the order. Fluttershy, you’re in charge.”

Are you sure? I’m not good at these things and these pants are really uncomfortable and you’re already gone. Okay.

<<>>

Twilight admired her hands. Truly the world’s greatest invention. Perhaps the greatest evolutionary fluke. Yes, her brain allowed her to create, experience, and learn. But without hands, her ideas would never exist in reality. She would be forced to think and never do.

More importantly, she wouldn’t be able to drink her latte.

She reached into her backpack and retrieved Sunset’s journal. Bookphone. The other Twilight hadn’t responded yet. Hopefully, she was just busy with princess duties. Unless, of course, Pinkie was right. What if she had been too formal and permanently ruined her friends’ relationship? Sunset didn’t have other Equestrians to talk to.

Twilight took a soothing sip of her drink.

She winced as it burned her tongue. It was not very soothing. It was, however, conveniently timed. Sunset Shimmer strode into the coffeeshop. Twilight blushed. Rainbow Dash was right about Sunset’s new haircut.

“Sunset!” Twilight called, waving her friend over.

“Oh, hey,” Sunset started. She pocketed her phone and strode over. She stared at Twilight with concerning intensity. Twilight stared at Sunset, prepping for the inevitable awkward conversation. They stared in silence for a while.

“You,” Sunset finished.

The two stared in silence for a little while longer.

“Do you want to sit?” Twilight offered.

“Sure.”

Sunset sitting did not prevent the silence from returning. She bounced her leg. Twilight drummed her fingers. The meeting was going better than Twilight expected. Sunset had yet to run away crying.

“What’s this?” Sunset picked up the book.

“Your, uh, journal.” Twilight really did not want to call it a bookphone. “You left it behind the other day. I wrote in it. Sorry.”

“Oh, yes, my journal. I can’t believe I forgot it at that place.”

Sunset leaned back, skimming through it. She propped her feet up on the part of the table that connects the legs together. The purpose of that wooden beam had surely been lost to time, but it seemed like a good place for cool people to rest their feet. Twilight kept hers firmly planted to the ground.

“Sorry. I meant to give it back earlier.”

“How’s Equestria doing?”

“You would know better than I.”

“Oh.”

“Sunset, are you still upset?” Twilight asked hesitantly. “You’ve been acting off lately. Not just with me. You haven’t been at school.”

Sunset suddenly stood, snapping the book closed. Her chair fell to the ground with a bang. The café quieted as everyone turned to look. The rosey color of embarrassment filled her cheeks. “Sorry, uh, Twilight. I must go right now immediately.”

Before Twilight could respond, she fled the shop. At least she wasn’t crying this time. Twilight glumly watched her leave, taking a sip of her latte.

It tasted like regret.

<<>>

“Fluttershy, just the pony I wanted to see.” Twilight marched up to her friend. Her eyes twitched. As much as she appreciated Rarity’s willingness to embrace new ideas, she should have stuck with her instincts. Four legs was not a good idea. The pants were unfortunately constricting and Twilight couldn’t remove the weird bulge no matter how she moved.

The fashion show was great, though.

Hi, Twilight. Didn’t Rarity just leave?

“That was definitely almost an entire fashion show ago.” Twilight waved the question away. “How would you like to take Princess Celestia on a tour of the animal sanctuary tomorrow?”

Again? Oh, um—

“Great.” Twilight grinned. She made a little check on her clipboard. “That takes care of tomorrow afternoon.”

Did you already go? Rarity’s going to be upset if you haven’t.

“Yes. Have you seen Applejack? She said she was going to have breakfast with Rarity. Do you think she’ll mind if the princess comes along?”

Are you feeling okay, Twilight?

“Of course I am,” Twilight responded in her most convincing tone. Her eye wouldn’t stop twitching. “I love having Princess Celestia in the castle. I didn’t have important plans this week that I suddenly need to rearrange. I love that she’s always around. Who cares if she’s worse about putting books back than Starlight or if she leaves plates everywhere? I don’t.”

It seems like you do.

“Sunset should be back any day. I just need to fill every moment of Princess Celestia’s time so I can sneak her back home.”

Have you tried talking to her?

“Are you crazy? Do you know what the princess would do if she found out Sunset is here in Equestria?”

Do you?

“No.”

Fluttershy flattened her ears. She stared at Twilight with the same annoyed look Twilight usually gave Spike. Whatever emotion she wished to convey with her obviously frustrated countenance was lost as inspiration struck Twilight. Leaning in, she grabbed Fluttershy’s face.

“I’ve got it!” Twilight exclaimed. “Fluttershy, I need you to wait at the castle until Sunset and Starlight return. You take detailed notes on their mapventure then escort Sunset back to the human world and make sure Starlight never tells anypony about her visit. Sound good?”

Oh, um—

“Great!”

“Twilight Sparkle,” a royal voice said regally.

“Nothing hiding here!” Twilight yelped, releasing Fluttershy. She smiled at Princess Celestia innocently. “I mean, I’m not hiding anything. Not that you would think I’m hiding something, which I’m not, because there is nothing to hide. Did you enjoy the pants?”

“It was lovely. I was just speaking to Rarity about her inspiration. I had no idea Starlight Glimmer visited the human world.”

Twilight felt a pain in her shoulder blades, left foreleg, chest, and jaw. It was probably nothing.

“I think it’s wonderful she’s getting to experience so much under your wing. You are truly filling out your role, Princess.”

Twilight blushed. The pain disappeared. “Thank you, Princess.”

“She’ll be home soon, won’t she?”

“Princess Celestia? I have something I need to get off my chest.”

“Is this the secret you’ve pretending not to have?”

“No, that’s not, uh, something something,” Twilight trailed off. She used to be better at coming up with excuses. Applejack was a bad influence. “I want to start a magic school in the Castle of the Two Sisters. I wanted to ask your help. I know you’re on vacation and it will keep us busy at the castle for a while. Probably even until after Starlight returns, so I understand if you wouldn’t want to help. But I would appreciate your wisdom, Princess.”

“A magic school in the middle of the Everfree Forest? That is … certainly an idea, Twilight. Have you thought this through?”

“Princess Celestia, when have I ever been impulsive?”

For some reason, Princess Celestia and Fluttershy exchanged a look.

“I admit I’m curious about that old place. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to visit.”

“Great! Fluttershy, cancel all my appointments.”

Oh, um—

The two princesses left, planning their trip the castle.

Okay.

<<>>

After checking the time, Applejack put her phone away. She gently draped her jacket over Rainbow Dash’s shoulders and planted a soft kiss on her cheek. Rainbow Dash smiled at her sweetly, pulling the jacket tighter with her good arm. The other hung in a sling. That particular image was one Applejack had seen a concerning number of times, and probably would merit its own conversation eventually.

“Aren’t you cold?” Rainbow asked her. As if to validate her, the autumn breeze did what it did best. Applejack did not appreciate the wind.

“I’ve got that farmer’s strength. Can’t get cold,” Applejack replied, shivering. “Twilight should be inside, sugarcube. You’re certain ’bout what you saw?”

“I’m certain about everything.”

“Can’t argue with that.” Applejack paused. “Dash, I love you, but maybe don’t be all Rainbow about this.”

“What does that mean?”

“I was hopin’ you’d fixate on me sayin’ ‘I love you’ for the first time.”

“Nope.” Rainbow grinned. “Of course you love me. I’m awesome.”

“Exhaustin’, more like,” Applejack teased. Rainbow stuck out her tongue. It was adorable. “Just don’t joke ’bout her crush.”

“Timber? She hasn’t talked about him in months.”

“Twi’s bi, Rainbow.” Applejack quickly clamped a hand over her girlfriend’s mouth. “Yes that rhymes. No, you can’t make jokes ’bout it. Not everyone’s as comfortable with herself as you.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Rainbow removed Applejack’s hand from her face. “I heard you the first dozen times.”

“Considerin’ we’ve talked ’bout this a dozen times, I ain’t so sure.”

“That was the most country you’ve sounded all day.”

Applejack grinned and tipped her hat. “We shouldn’t keep Twilight waitin’.”

The café was as warm and earthy as its colors. Twilight stood out. Sitting in the throes of melancholy, she rested her chin on her hand and stared off at nothing. Rainbow sat down, propping her feet on the table’s stretcher. Applejack followed, though, out of respect for the table’s stability, she kept her feet on the floor, where feet belong. Twilight didn’t move. Rainbow waved a hand in front of her face.

“Hey, Bilight!”

“Rainbow Dash!” Applejack shot her a glare before turning to Twilight with her sweetest smile. “How’re you doin, sugarcube? How long have you been sitting here?”

“Probably the length of a pants-based fashion show. I’m fine.” Something about Twilight’s sigh suggested that she was not, in fact, fine. “How is your arm?”

“It’s just a sprain. I’ve had worse.”

“And what did we learn?” Applejack crossed her two healthy arms.

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Don’t use my superpower to do parkour.”

“Very good.”

“Sunset was here,” Twilight said suddenly.

“Oh. Did the other Twilight ever write back to you, sugarcube?”

“No.” Twilight drummed her fingers on the table. “Sunset’s still acting weird. She was asking me about Equestria.”

“Ha!” Rainbow poked a finger at Applejack. “Told you.”

“Told her what?”

Rainbow’s smug expression was quickly replaced by an apologetic one. “I saw Sunset with Starlight. It sounded like they were talking about getting Sunset back to Equestria. Sorry.”

“What? Why?”

“We don’t know for sure,” Applejack said calmly. “We shouldn’t rush into makin’ assumptions.”

“Because Starlight’s actually evil and cast a spell on Sunset,” Rainbow explained.

“Did y’all not hear a word I said?” Applejack growled. Sinking low in her seat, Rainbow grinned sheepishly.

“Kidding,” she offered. “Probably.”

“We have to stop her.” Twilight slammed her first on the table as she stood. She yelped in surprise as her latte spilled onto her lap. She looked appropriately embarrassed.

“Maybe that can wait til we get you a new blouse, sugarcube.”

<<>>

Sunset Shimmer leaned back, exhausted. Her entire body ached. Bruises and cuts covered parts of her she forgot she even had. Slowly and very painfully, she turned to face Starlight. Starlight did not look any better. She rubbed her cheek and winced.

“Are all friendship missions that intense?”

Starlight laughed. She immediately covered her ribs, groaning. “Ow. I think the Ice Ponies were just a bonus.”

“I can’t tell if this is frostbite or a bruise.” Sunset resisted the temptation to poke her leg. “I can see why the map chose you. I’ve never seen a unicorn with such an affinity for magic.”

Starlight blushed. “You, uh, did good too.”

“I know I’m out of practice. It’s been so long since I’ve had magic, I get excited by just floating things.” Sunset grinned sheepishly as she hovered the saddlebags. “It’s nice to be able to do this again. I’m glad I came here.”

The two were quiet for a minute, letting the rattling sound of the train fill the conversational void. Starlight’s smile slowly faded into a look of concern. “Sunset, why did you come to Equestria?”

“To see you, of course.”

“I need you to be honest with me.” Starlight levitated her bag and pulled out a journal. Twilight’s cutie mark adorned the cover. “This started buzzing when we were in the Perilous Caverns of Frigid Doom.”

“In retrospect, we shouldn’t have been so surprised.”

“No, I agree,” Starlight agreed, setting the book down, “but we can talk about that later. You should read this.”

Sunset took the book, turning to the last page. Her eyes widened. She glanced from the book to Starlight and back to the book. Starlight just raised an eyebrow. The book didn’t change.

“How did you end up with Twilight’s cellbook?”

“Her what?”

“This,” Sunset said flatly. She decided to come up with a new name for the interdimensional communication diaries.

“It was in the bags Twilight packed.” Starlight waved the question away with her hoof. “Why did you really come back to Equestria?”

“I got into a fight with my friends. They said some things. I didn’t take it well.” Sunset scanned Twilight’s message again. “I can’t believe she called me weird in my own journal.”

“It was an uncomfortable read. Like, I’m pretty sure Princess Twilight knows who Sunset is, my dude.”

“That’s me,” Sunset said cheerily.

“What was the fight about?”

“I’d rather not go into that.”

“I won’t force you to talk about it,” Starlight said, stretching across the seats. She winced. “Ow. I just figured we could be honest with each other since we’re two good friends who just had a near-death experience together. But I can see we’re not at that place yet.”

“Just friends?”

“Um…”

“It was about someone I have a big crush on. They said some things about her I didn’t take well.”

Starlight leaned in, grinning. Her eyes glimmered. “Who?”

“A gal named Starlight Glimmer.”

“That’s me!” Starlight said excitedly. Her face fell, realization sinking in. “That’s me.”

“Yeah.”

“What did they say? How did this come up? I thought they liked me.” Starlight stood, pacing between the seats. Sunset wasn’t sure if she stumbled because of the rough train ride or her injuries, but it was concerning. “Not that I actually care. I don’t need to be liked. I just thought they did.”

“They do like you. And I like you. I like you a lot.” Sunset placed a hoof on Starlight’s shoulder. Starlight yelped. “Sorry.”

“That’s where the big one kicked me.”

“Oh, I wasn’t… I’m sorry about that too. This is not how I imagined this happening.”

“How, um, how did you imagine this happening?”

“I thought we’d have a nice picnic as the sun went down. It would be really fancy stuff too. Like pies. A group of violinists would serenade us under the starlight.”

A coy smile spread across Starlight’s lips. “I don’t think serenade is the right word.”

“No, it is. I’m in honors classes. Did you notice the thing I did with your name?”

“I did. It was cute. What happens next?”

“Something like this.”

Sunset grinned. Staring at Starlight with sultry eyes, she slid off the bench, taking slow purposeful steps. Her legs screamed, but she was determined. Inches apart, the two ponies closed their eyes. The train lurched suddenly. Sunset slipped, colliding with Starlight’s jaw. She fell to the floor with a thud. Starlight reared back before quickly walking in tiny circles to dissipate the pain. Both ponies fought back tears.

Sunset groaned.

“Just like that.”

<<>>

“I’m here,” Starlight said, annoyed. Glancing around, she pocketed her phone. Sunset shyly waved at her from the statue. Starlight glanced at the cheerful stone horses and groaned. “Why am I back in high school? I have enough nightmares about this place.”

“I found it!” Sunset grabbed Starlight. Her eyes were wild. Her hair was a mess. She looked as if she hadn’t slept in days. In other words, she looked stunning.

Starlight decided not to reflect on her taste in women at the moment.

“Equestria is a public school? That’s more disappointing than I expected.”

“No!” Sunset exclaimed. She retrieved a book from her bag and shoved it at Starlight, who gently pushed it back. Sunset leaned in. “Equestria is in a public school.”

“Of course.” Starlight rolled her eyes. Turning her attention back the the statue, she rapped her knuckles on it. “So, how do we get there?”

Sunset scooted closer. She spread her arms, waving them about. The book fell to the ground. “Magic. This book might the key.”

Starlight waited patiently for Sunset to continue her explanation. Sunset grinned at her, almost pointedly not adding any more details. Starlight groaned. She did that a lot lately.

“Hey, Sunset, pal, you need to explain things a little better than that.”

“Don’t do it, Sunset!”

The pair turned to see a group of girls running toward them. Stepping in front of Sunset, Starlight crossed her arms. She learned long ago not to trust any large group shouting Sunset’s name. The girls slid to a halt in front of them, clumping behind the purple one with glasses.

“Do you know these people?” Starlight muttered.

“They’re the ones I was talking about,” Sunset whispered. She pointed at their leader. “I think that one is, uh, Twilight. She might be stalking me. I don’t know the names of the others.”

“Don’t do it, Sunset,” Twilight repeated, tears in her eyes. Eyes cast downwards, she stepped forward, clutching her arms to her chest. Her voice trembled as she spoke. “Please. I know I don’t say things well. I always overthink or underthink. But you have to believe I didn’t mean what I said. I know I hurt you, Sunset. I never meant to imply I think less of you. Or Starlight. Because, the truth is…”

“The truth is…” Twilight took a deep breath. Starlight glared at her. Sunset was right to be worried about these girls; they seemed to know more than they should. The one in a cowboy hat leaned in and whispered something in Twilight’s ear.

“You matter to me, Sunset Shimmer. You mean so much. You’re my best friend.” Twilight stepped forward. Her voice stopped trembling. “You’re more than that, Sunset. I want us to be more than that.”

The country one leaned against the blue gal, grabbing her hand. Starlight bleched. Twilight’s words hung in the air for a long, uncomfortable silence. Narrowing her eyes, Starlight started forward. Sunset grabbed her wrist. Her eyes burned with a fire Starlight had never seen.

“Dude, I don’t even know you.”

Starlight swelled with pride. Deciding Sunset could handle this herself, she took a step back. A different shimmer caught her eye. The book lay on the ground, partially in the base of the statue.

“I don’t know who you think I am. I don’t know why or how you know about Equestria. I don’t know what you want from me and the more I think about it, the crazier I feel. So, please, do me a favor and leave me alone.”

Twilight burst into tears. Starlight pulled Sunset away. Making a teen cry was not a good look, no matter the circumstances. Scooping up the book, Starlight motioned to the statue. Sunset, fortunately, understood. She turned back to the sobbing teen and friends.

“Um, thank you for the book, by the way.”

Sunset Shimmer and Starlight Glimmer stepped through the portal.

<<>>

Sunset knew she couldn’t be prepared for what happened. The process was painless, until she toppled out and jabbed herself on something sharp. She yelped, jumping to her feet. Immediately, she fell forward.

This was more comfortable.

Sunset glanced around. The room was full of books, most of which were scattered on the floor. In one corner stood a mirror, attached to a strange device. A colorful horse sprawled on the ground in front of it. A horn poked out from between her bangs. Her purple, maybe blue, eyes were wide. She looked strangely familiar.

“Starlight?”

The unicorn blinked. She slowly stood on four wobbly legs. “Sunset.”

“It worked!” Sunset dashed to the mirror. She tripped a couple times, but she managed to make it. Her hair was still cut short, though the bob didn’t quite translate how she wanted. That didn’t matter. She was small, round, and adorably pony-shaped. “I’m orange!”

“You weren’t before?”

“Do you feel it, Starlight?”

Taking a deep breath, Starlight closed her eyes. She released it with a small smile. “I do.”

“The joy!”

“The power.”

“I feel so free.”

“I could be great.”

“I can breathe. It’s like a weight has been lifted. After so long, I can breathe.”

“I will be great.”

“I feel like I’m home.” Sunset turned to Starlight. Her eyes were wet with tears of joy. “Starlight, I’m finally home.”

Nodding, Starlight turned her attention to a pile of books. She closed her eyes in concentration. As a green aura surrounded her horn, a mist slowly fell to the ground. Sunset watched as a single book gently floated into the air. She gasped.

The book shot into the shelves.

Starlight stared at the mess. “Huh.”

The door burst open. Three wide-eyed ponies stepped in. One, a unicorn, had a dazzling white coat and luxurious purple mane. She entered as though in a spotlight. The others were less graceful. Or less practiced at making the simplest actions seem grand. Each wore a pair of bluejeans.

“Starlight? Sunset?” the graceful one said, surprised. “You’ve changed your manes.”

“Here too?” Starlight muttered.

“They look… nice.”

“Y’all alright?”asked the orange one. “We heard some kinda ruckus.”

Sunset and Starlight stared at each other, then back to the others. They nodded.

“I hope you weren’t intending to leave so soon, darling,” the white one said as she levitated the books onto shelves. Sunset didn’t get a chance to glance at the titles, but it seemed odd the covers were all similar colors. “I’ve been wanting your opinion on these.”

Actually, um, maybe leaving soon is a good idea.

“On what?” Sunset asked.

“These!” The unicorn struck a pose. “Pants, darling. Starlight told me they were all the rage back there.”

“I did?”

“She did?”

“She did!”

“They look nice,” Sunset offered, grinning awkwardly. “Good job with the pants, pony gal.”

Yay. You really should think about going home. I’m sure your friends are worried about you.” The quiet yellow pegasus paused, pawing the floor. “I’m Fluttershy, by the way. I don’t think we met.

“But we are home.” Starlight stepped forward, smiling darkly. It was the same smile she wore when people would tease Sunset about her obsession with Equestria. For some reason, they usually stopped teasing her. The fancy one and orange one turned to each other with confused stares. Fluttershy stepped behind them.

“Y’all sure you’re alright, sugarcube?”

“I’ve never felt better.”

“You do sound a bit, er, sinister, dear.”

“You haven’t seen sinister yet.” Laughing, Starlight marching out of the library. The three ponies turned to Sunset with wide eyes. She shrugged.

“I’m sure she’s fine. Nice to meet you, dudes.”

<<>>

“Twilight?” Applejack slowly pushed open the door.. The room was dark. Half drunk cups of tea stood on stacks of books. Not a single thing was on a shelf. Spike was curled up next to a pile of blankets. “Y’all in here?”

A muffled sob came from the blanket pile.

“How you holdin’ up, sugarcube?”

“Fine.”

Sitting down next to the blankets, Applejack leaned against the bed. She chose a book off a tealess stack and a small smile spread across her face. “Black Beauty. I ain’t read this since I was a little girl.”

Twilight sniffled.

“I think Granny gave it to us for the moral. Work hard, stay strong, and good things’ll come your way.” Applejack flipped through the pages. “I just read it for the horses.”

The blankets shuffled slightly. A sorrowful muttering came from the pile.

“What was that, Twi?”

“It’s not about that,” Twilight said meekly. Peeking out from the nest, she shifted to face Applejack. Her face was red and puffy. Her eyes were wet.

“Sure it is. Beauty is tested but he keeps a strong heart. In the end, he gets to retire to a farm with a nice family.”

“It was a call for the ethical treatment of horses. Beauty doesn’t go through trials so he can earn a reward.” Twilight pulled the blankets off her head and pushed her glasses up. The unsteady misery almost left her voice. Almost. “Work and punishment is forced on him because humanity is cruel. He remains kind throughout. The author’s point is that we should treat animals, particularly horses, with kindness.”

“How ’bout that.”

Twilight offered a weak smile. She took the book from Applejack and fiddled with it, clearly just looking for something to do with her hands. “Thank you.”

“I’m real sorry Sunset was a jerk to you.” Applejack shifted so she could hang an arm around the blanket-Twilight combination. Maddened by the constant motion in his resting spot, Spike slunk away. “How’re you holdin’ up?”

“Not fine.”

“I don’t blame you, sugarcube. I’m lucky Rainbow asked me out before I could.”

Twilight wrapped her arms around her knees. “I’m not even upset that she doesn’t like me.”

“Really?”

“Yes I am.” Twilight sniffed. “I just didn’t expect her to be so mean.”

“I think I might have an idea ’bout that.” Applejack pulled out an old picture from her pocket. A young Applejack and Rainbow Dash were in the center of the frame, lifting a trophy over their heads. It was nearly as tall as them. Passing it to Twilight, Applejack prepared for her dramatic reveal. She didn’t get to do them often. It was nice. “Notice anythin’?”

Twilight inspected the photo. She shook her head.

“That’s from years ago, before Rainbow and I stopped bein’ friends. Y’know, before we started bein’ friends again.” Applejack tapped the trophy. “Back when I played soccer. Rainbow ain’t the only athlete ’round here.”

“That’s nice.” Twilight handed the picture back. Applejack refused. She tapped the corner of the photo. Twilight squinted. After a moment, she turned back to her friends, mouth agape. “Is that Sunset?”

“Looks like.” Applejack pointed at another spot in the photo. “And that blur sure looks like Starlight.”

“I thought Sunset wasn’t here until high school.”

“Not the Sunset we know. But maybe Pinkie was right. If there’s two of you, seems fittin’ there’s two of her. Probably two of Starlight too.”

“Of course!” Twilight stood suddenly, bumping Applejack out of the way. Immediately, she tripped and fell into a pile of books. Twilight seemed unfazed. “That wasn’t the real Sunset. Our Sunset.”

“Which would explain why she’s been actin’ so weird.”

“There you are.” Rainbow burst into the room. She paused, staring at the tangled mess of Twilight. Somehow, she managed to resist laughing. Applejack was proud of her. “Did you tell her yet.”

“Yes!” Twilight said excitedly as she struggled to free herself from the blankets. Failing, she turned to Applejack with pleading eyes. Applejack obliged. “That wasn’t our Sunset.”

“No!” Rainbow shouted. “I mean, yes, obviously. Better than that. We’re going to Equestria!”

<<>>

“There,” Starlight said, satisfied. Looking around, she soaked in her prize. The world was bright, colorful, and unnervingly familiar. It was terrible. She trotted down the dirt path, Sunset following closely behind. “I think we’re safe from those talking horses now.”

“Ponies,” Sunset corrected.

Starlight rolled her eyes. “Those are just small horses.”

“Why were you so rude to them? They seemed friendly enough.”

“Have you already forgotten about the last group of nice gals? They knew who we were, Sunset.” Starlight stopped. She focused on a nearby tree. “Why does everybody know us? Doesn’t that worry you?”

“It did,” Sunset started. The tree’s roots sprung from the ground, thrashing wildly. Sunset yelped in surprise and quickly backpedaled. Starlight felt the magic flow through her. Almost immediately, the roots went limp. Both Starlight and Sunset stared at the ground in shock. Starlight smiled. Sunset frowned.

“Not what I was going for,” Starlight mused. “Still nice.”

“It did bother me,” Sunset continued, turning her attention back to her closest friend. Starlight kept her focus on the tree. She circled it. A green mist clung to her legs, stretching into fine strands as she moved. “Back there. But I’m in Equestria now! I’ve spent so long searching for this place. It’s so bright. So filled with love. How can I be worried when I’m an adorable unicorn?”

“That’s unlike you.”

“Isn’t it great?” Sunset said excitedly.

“What if this place isn’t as nice as you think?” Starlight levitated a twig and twirled it. The rush of magic returned, though less overwhelming than before. “How do these ponies know our names? What about the others who were banished? I don’t know how you can trust this place so quickly.”

“I feel like I belong here. I never felt that in the other place.”

Starlight gave Sunset a cold stare. She stopped spinning the stick. Launching through the air, it embedded itself in a nearby tree. “Is that why you ran away?”

“I didn’t run away, Starlight.”

“No, of course not.” Starlight turned, her horn glowing with green energy. “Come, Sunset, let’s see what else our magic can do.”

<<>>

Twilight took unsteady steps around the library, adjusting to life on four legs. Fortunately, she already had some experience with wings. The room was a mess. If the shelves were organized before, three clumsy ponies quickly rectified that situation. Applejack stared at the ground, legs and eyes wide. She took several gasping breaths. Rainbow Dash was buried under a pile of books.

“Ow,” Rainbow muttered. Shaking the books off her back, she slowly stood on wobbly legs. She flared her wings for balance and winced again. “More ow.”

“I can’t believe it worked.”

“Told you,” Rainbow said, puffing her chest proudly. She held one wing at an awkward angle. “We look awesome.”

Applejack lifted a leg. She immediately fell on her face.

A white unicorn strode into the room, humming cheerily to herself. Several pairs of pants floated behind her. They were flashy, bedazzled, and utterly striking. Suddenly coming to the unfortunate realization that she was no longer wearing anything, Twilight hid behind a pile of books. To be more accurate, she hid in a pile of books.

“Goodness,” the unicorn said, dropping the pants, “what happened here?”

“Rarity? What are you doing here?” Rainbow Dash asked. She tilted her head, staring past the unicorn. Eyes wide, she gently prodded the pony at her side. Applejack waved her hoof away. “Uh, AJ, why are there two of you?”

“Two Applejacks? Are you feeling alright, dear?”

“Uh, Rare?” Applejack tapped the unicorn’s shoulder. “That ain’t me.”

Rarity glanced between the two Applejacks. With a look of bewilderment, she poked the closer one in the face. The earth pony pushed her hoof away. Applejack caught Applejack’s gaze. They rolled their eyes, sighing.

Twilight hobbled over to them and stuck out a hoof. “I’m Twilight Sparkle.”

Rarity hesitantly shook it. “Yes, darling.”

“Why the hay are there two of me?” Applejack asked, walking up to her clone. The other struggled to do the same.

“I might have some idea ’bout that,” Applejack responded.

“For the record, I’m cool with it,” Rainbow quietly added. “Rarity, what are you doing here?”

“I’ve been here all week. Twilight asked me to look after the castle while she was gone.” Staring at the two earth ponies, Rarity paused. She quickly pulled a pair of pants on one Applejack. “Can we address this two Applejacks issue first?”

“Twilight?” Twilight asked, ignoring her question. “Princess Twilight Sparkle?”

Rarity stared at her friend with great concern. “Yes, darling.”

“Have you seen Sunset Shimmer around?”

“Oh, yes.” Averting her gaze, Rarity folded pants. Once they were all neatly squared away, she started again. “Now, I’m not saying that she isn’t fully redeemed. Just that she, perhaps, could use some additional guidance.”

“What?”

“We think she’s made Starlight evil again,” Applejack translated.

“That’s ridiculous,” Applejack replied.

“Yeah,” Rainbow agreed, flapping her one good wing. She lifted off the ground at a slight angle. “If anyone is turning someone evil, it’s Starlight making Sunset evil.”

“I don’t think either of us is turning evil,” Starlight interrupted. She entered the library, looking around at the mess. Twilight narrowed her eyes. Something about Starlight just rubbed her the wrong way. It probably wasn’t jealousy. Starlight stared at the two Applejacks with a raised eyebrow. “I didn’t do it this time.”

Sunset followed close behind her. Twilight stared, hoping her fur hid her blush. She decided to ignore that Sunset was currently a horse. A small, yellow pegasus trailed in. Upon seeing Twilight, her eyes went wide.

Sorry, Twilight. I tried.

“Starlight! Sunset Shimmer!” Rarity exclaimed. “You changed your manes back. I didn’t want to be rude, but I do so prefer this style. You must tell me how you managed to grow it out so quickly.”

“Y’all ain’t still making vaguely threatenin’ remarks, right?” asked the Applejack in pants.

A confused look passed between the pair.

“Somepony care to tell us what’s happening?” Starlight asked.

The others turned to Twilight. Twilight sighed, accepting the burden. She tried to push her glasses up. Instead she bumped her nose with her hoof. “I guess I do. Sunset, what was the last thing we talked about?”

“Whether or not I could go to the Crystal Empire with Starlight.”

“Applejack, you were right!” Twilight exclaimed. She spread her forelegs out in excitement and promptly fell backwards.

“She was?” asked Rarity.

“I was?”

“Told y’all.”

“That’s great.” Starlight glanced to Sunset, who shrugged. “About what?”

Twilight righted herself.

“I’m not Princess Twilight. I’m Twilight Twilight.” She paused. “Twilight Sparkle. We’re not ponies. Well, not usually.”

“Hold up,” Applejack said, turning to Applejack. “You’re me from the other world?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Freaky.”

“I must say, darling, the resemblance is uncanny.”

“Tell me about it,” Sunset muttered. Twilight stared at her, searching for the right thing to say. Or just anything. Sunset smiled awkwardly. “Welcome to Equestria, dude.”

“I’m sorry, Sunset. I never meant to hurt your feelings like that.”

“I won’t say I’m over everything yet, but I shouldn’t have run away. You’re a good friend, Twilight. I know you would never intentionally hurt me.” Turning to Starlight, a warm smile spread across Sunset’s face. “You were just worried I’d fall for someone who didn’t feel the same.”

“Yes,” Twilight lied, “that is why.”

Sunset turned to Rainbow Dash with a cold glare. “This doesn’t make me a furry.”

“A what?” Starlight asked no one. No one responded.

“I can’t believe you came all the way to Equestria to find me,” Sunset excitedly changed the topic. Lifting a journal from her bag, she slowly hovered it over to Twilight. Twilight touched it with her hoof, trying very hard to grab it. The book fell to the ground. “I probably could have saved you the effort.”

“Well, there’s a bit more.” Twilight and Sunset stared at the journal. Neither made any attempt to pick it up. “We ran into the other Sunset.”

“Kinda thought she was you,” Rainbow added.

“She had a really cute haircut,” Twilight continued, blushing. She kept her gaze locked on the book. It was easier than looking at Sunset. “I don’t usually notice things like that. She has your book. And she’s here with Starlight Glimmer.”

“Not me. We’ve been together the whole time.”

“The other Starlight.”

“We saw them earlier,” the Applejack with pants said. “Starlight sounded a bit like when we first met you.”

“Evil?” Starlight asked.

“Exactly.”

“So, what’s the plan?” Sunset asked. “We can’t leave evil clones of Starlight and I in Equestria.”

“Me,” Twilight quietly corrected.

“We were planning to wait for Twilight,” Rarity said. Frowning, she turned to Twilight. “Our Twilight, that is. Unless you have a plan?”

“I, um, was hoping Princess Twilight would.”

“Where is she?” Starlight asked.

“Distractin’ the princess til we usher Sunset out of here. No offense, sugarcube.”

“I think I’ll have to process my feelings on that later,” Sunset said. She turned to leave the library, determination in her eyes. A light breeze blew her mane back. Starlight and Twilight blushed. “We have a probably evil me to stop.”

<<>>

A thick green fog covered Ponyville. Spikes sprung from the earth, skewering home and garden. Overgrown plants grew from every pot of soil. The swirling mist corrupted everything it touched, imbuing the world with wild magic. In the center of it all was Starlight Glimmer and Sunset Shimmer.

Starlight’s horn glowed with green energy, which arced from her, striking ponies. She laughed maliciously as they fled in terror. Except for the pegasi. They flewed in terror. With every spell, a cloud fell to the ground, adding to the mist.

Glaring at their counterparts, Starlight and Sunset watched from the edge of the mist. Their friends stood in a small circle behind them, staring in abject horror as the bright, joyous Equestria succumbed to darkness.

“Why did nopony tell me what I looked like with bangs?” Starlight said, disgusted.

“I think there’s bigger concerns, sugarcube,” Applejack said.

“I know. It’s just, I think I know why I went evil.”

“I kinda like it,” Sunset said quietly.

“Oh, please, darling, you two are clearly more stylish.”

“Y’all, can we focus?” both Applejacks asked. “What is this stuff?”

Sunset cautiously stepped forward, prodding the mist with her hoof. The damp air clung to her like a spiderweb. Grimacing, she withdrew her leg. Thin tendrils of fog stretched between her and the cloud. Sunset shook herself free.

“Gross,” Rainbow said.

“Agreed,” the others agreed.

“Starlight, dear, you’re a gifted magic pony. Don’t you know a spell to clean this up?”

“This is uncontrolled energy, Rarity.”

“So?”

“I can’t do anything until she stops. It takes more effort to clean this mess than make it.”

“Oh, like Twilight’s library,” Rarity said pointedly. “Always in such a horrid state. As though no one bothers to organize it.”

“I clean.”

“Of course, dear. I’m sure Twilight insists her texts cover the floor.”

Sunset strode forward, ignoring the arguing ponies.

“Rarity, did I do something to you?” Starlight asked. “I’m not the one currently destroying Ponyville. Well, I am. But not me me. The other me.”

The mist clung to Sunset fur. She could feel the magical energy ripple through her. Though it wasn’t quite painful, her skin crawled. Everything about it felt off.

“You told her not to sort the books by color,” Applejack interjected.

“It’s a library. Books don’t go by color.”

Sunset felt the energy pull at her, as if the mist wanted to change her. Each step took more effort than the last.

“They do go on shelves. If you’re not going to reorganize them, there’s no reason to destroy my hard work.”

“Is this really the time to get into this, Rarity?”

“No, it’s not. But if it were, I would ask you to pay more attention to the efforts of others.”

“This isn't actually about the library, is it?”

“No.”

“This is about the pants.”

“It is.”

“They look nice.”

“Thank you.”

Sunset took a deep breath. Her horn glowed with a color that could only be described as moderate amaranth. Slowly, with great patience, she created a pocket of fresh air. The mist flew off of her, gently wafting to the ground. She turned to the potential evil clones, determination in her eyes.

“Starlight Glimmer!”

A silence fell over the town. The bickering ponies stared at Sunset with wide eyes. Starlight and Twilight took off, charging into the swirling green after her. Sunset narrowed her eyes. Her mane waved in the sudden dramatic breeze. The fog clashed violently with the red of her magic, searching for any break in her bubble.

Starlight’s clone looked at her in utter confusion. Glancing to the pony by her side, the aura around her horn died. The other Sunset returned a confused stare. Starlight’s clone stepped forward.

“Who are you?”

“I’m Sunset Shimmer.”

“She’s Sunset Shimmer.”

“That’s me,” Sunset interjected, waving a hoof at Sunset. Despite her cheery tone, she looked miserable. Her eyes were red and her cheeks were stained with tears. Sunset hesitantly waved back.

“I’m the Sunset Shimmer from this world,” Sunset explained, fighting her concern. She’d help her clone once Starlight stopped. “Each of us in Equestria has a copy in the human world.”

“I think you mean each of us has a copy in the horse world.”

“Sure.”

“Pony,” the other Sunset corrected.

“Those are just small horses,” Starlight muttered. “What do you want, fake Sunset?”

“I want you to leave Equestria alone.”

Starlight rolled her eyes. “Surprising. My Sunset wants me to find Equestria. Equestria’s Sunset wants me to leave. What if I refuse?”

“You’re on a dangerous path, Starlight. I’ve seen what magic does to humans. You have power, but no control. It’s too much at once. This wild magic is destroying Ponyville.” Sunset stepped forward, holding out a hoof. “I can help you.”

“No, thanks.”

“What?” both Sunsets asked with equal amounts of surprise.

“I think you’re just scared, Sunset.” Starlight’s horn pulsed with energy. The earth beneath her hooves cracked. “You spent your life searching for this place for what? We found Equestria, Sunset, what do you want to do with it?”

“I don’t think you’re talking to me,” Sunset said.

“You want to live the rest of your life as a silly little pony, fine.” The green aura returned to Starlight’s horn as she circled Sunset. Pouring out thicker than before, the green mist pooled at her feet, corrupting the ground as she walked. Tendrils of mist prodded Sunset’s pocket of air.. “You spent your life searching for this power. Now you have it, you’re scared to use it. I was too content to stay in your shadow. I thought you were brilliant, but I see, now, that you were only bright because I let myself be dark. It’s time the world finally sees Starlight.”

She winked. “That was a pun.”

With a laugh, she released the magic from her horn. Like a tidal wave, the energy tore through Ponyville, shaking the earth. The ground cracked and split as viney growths rose. Thunder rumbled overhead. Starlight’s attack was as directionless as it was powerful, leaving nothing untouched. Save for Sunset. There was a bright flash as Starlight’s pulse clashed with a bubble made of what could only be described as light turquoise energy. Sunset glanced back.

Her Starlight and Twilight smiled warmly at her.

“Fine,” Sunset said, turning back to Starlight’s evil clone. With narrowed, angry eyes, she stepped forward, head lowered in a fighting stance. She would stop the evil version of her crush or get slightly injured trying. The red aura around her horn darkened as she pushed against the unyielding fog. It had been a long time since she had used Equestrian magic and she was struggling just to keep the mist at bay. She was rusty. More importantly, she couldn’t safely fight Starlight’s wild sorcery even if she’d been back in spell-casting shape. “Then I suppose we have no choice.”

Her time in the human world taught her one important lesson: if all else fails, she could sing. Immediately, Sunset threw her head back, giving the clones her friendliest smile. Hopefully they could hear the music in her head. Nopony enjoyed a capella.

I’ve been down this road before

I know just what’s in store

As a high school demon princess

There’s only pain and nothing more

Sunset hoped she wouldn’t start growing human ears or fingers.

“You’ve got to be joking,” the other Starlight said.

But I know another way

Another chance for a bright new day

Take my hoof and come with me

I’ll show you who you could be

She did not seem overly moved. Yet.

‘Cause

Starlight, Starlight

You don’t have to be evil

Starlight, Starlight

You don’t have to be bad

There’s a chance to make amends

There’s a chance to find new friends

Starlight, Starlight

You could be a good person

Starlight, Starlight

Or a good pony too

Before Sunset could continue her song, Twilight jumped forward, wings flared. Leaning on Sunset, she gave her friend a warm smile.

I wanted magic at any cost

I was tempted, yeah I was lost

But my friends helped me redefine

Who I was, they let me shine

They saved a world I nearly doomed

And since then, our love has only bloomed

So,

Starlight, Starlight

You don’t have to be evil

Starlight, Starlight

You don’t have to be bad

You can find another path

Filled with kindness, not with wrath

Starlight, Starlight

You could be a good person

Starlight, Starlight

Or a good pony too

Sunset felt another leg loop around her shoulder as Starlight joined in. The other Starlight looked on in horror, which was a slight improvement from her previous malevolence.

I thought I could have it all

Could have the power, not the fall

Into madness, I did descend

I’ve seen the tragic, bitter end

But I lost the hatred in my heart

And I found a bright new start

Oh,

Starlight, Starlight

We don’t have to be evil

Starlight, Starlight

We don’t have to be bad

We can bring you to the light

We can help you make things right

Starlight, Starlight

You could be a good person

Starlight, Starlight

Or a good pony too

Hooves pointed to the sky, the trio ended their last refrain, leaning on each other for support. Sunset laughed. Despite the oppressive mist, she felt optimistic. Something in Starlight’s eyes indicated that her plan worked. Singing always did.

“I hope you didn’t sincerely think a simple song would stop me.”

With a bright flash from Starlight’s horn, tendrils of mist wrapped around the trio’s legs, suddenly solidifying into vines. She grinned in the least comforting way a pony could. Sunset struggled against the vines as the mist penetrated her pocket of air. Clinging to her fur like a wet blanket, the mist weighed on her and her mood. Her plan failed. It sucked.

Starlight said as she circled the group, eyes locked on her counterpart. “You could have at least picked something good. I might have enjoyed it.”

“I thought it was a good idea,” Twilight whispered.

“Starlight!”

Turning back to the other Sunset, Starlight rolled her eyes. “You’re not going to sing too.”

“I’m sorry, Starlight.”

Starlight cocked her head. “Huh.”

“I’m sorry I ran away. I’m sorry I never called or wrote to you.” The other Sunset bit her lip, eyes wet with tears. Faced with the awkwardness of watching herself cry, Sunset decided to stare intensely at the ground. “I’m sorry I forced you to waste your time chasing my fantasy pony world. I was so obsessed. So selfish. Dude, you were a really good friend.”

“I was?”

“Heck yeah you were. You still are. I mean, I come home after, what, five years, and the first thing I do is call you to complain? And you totally just let me.” Sunset prodded the ground. “I’m sorry about that too. If I was you, I’d be furious.”

“Were,” Twilight quietly corrected. Both pairs of Starlight and Sunset stared at her. “Sorry.”

“I’m not angry at you, Sunset,” Starlight said after a long silence. The aura around her horn faded. “I mean, I guess I am. Really, dude, I was mad at this place. I felt like it was stealing you away from me.”

“I’m sorry I hurt you.”

Starlight stared at the ground, gently poking the ground next to Sunset. Sunset mimicked her movements. Both took active care to specifically avoid the other’s gaze.

“I think I preferred the singing,” Starlight said.

“I can if you’ll forgive me.”

“Please don’t,” Starlight laughed. She looked around the destroyed pony town, her gaze lingering on the ensnared trio. Between the oppressive mist, tangled roots, and cracked earth, the little village hardly looked habitable. Starlight bit her lip. “I’m sorry I ruined Equestria.”

“Dude, if it means I get to have you back in my life, I’ll take a thousand ruined Equestrias.”

“We’d prefer if you didn’t,” Starlight said, still wrapped in vines. The other Starlight and Sunset ignored her.

“I missed you,” Sunset said. “I really am sorry. I was such as bad friend.”

“I think we both did some things that are equally bad. I’m sorry too.”

Starlight squeaked in surprise as Sunset wrapped her in a hug. She resisted, but, unable to pull away, gave in, embracing her friend. Slowly, the vines receded into the ground. Free from their bonds, the trio surrounded the pair, joining in on the hug.

“No,” Sunset said. She pushed them away. “This is our hug. Get your own, clone gal.”

“Can somepony please tell me what the hay happened here?”

The five ponies turned to see a royal pair of alicorns floating down to the ruined Ponyville. Neither Twilight nor Celestia looked particularly happy. Starlight turned to them with a warm smile. Her bangs bounced a little as she approached the newcomers.

“Friendship.”

“What?”

“Friendship,” Starlight repeated.

“You keep saying that. That’s not an answer. Did you change your mane? Wait, don’t answer that one first.” Twilight looked between the two Starlights, Sunsets, and copy of herself. She narrowed her eyes at one Starlight before quickly shifting her glare to the other. “I thought we discussed cloning spells.”

Starlight closed her eyes, taking a deep breath.

“Friendship.”

<<>>

“There,” Princess Twilight said, admiring her work. Ponyville was still a mess, but at least it wasn’t a green fog-covered mess. Twilight smiled at the gathered group. “I think that’s the last of, uh, the wild magic. Let’s not do that again.”

“Agreed,” most of the others replied. The group was silent for a beat, staring at each other awkwardly.

“Sunset Shimmer,” Princess Celestia said, striding through the group. Surrounded by so many little ponies, her already commanding presence was heightened. One Sunset stared at her in confusion. The other averted her gaze. Princess Twilight stared at Fluttershy, who opted not to stare back. Many ponies shared many looks.

“Um, hi, Princess,” the gaze-averting Sunset said.

“It’s been some time, hasn’t it?”

Sunset didn’t respond.

“I imagined this meeting a thousand times. I rehearsed what I would say when you stepped back through the mirror. But I fear I’m at a loss now. I would have preferred to do this under different circumstances.” Celestia glanced to Princes Twilight, who chuckled nervously. “Sometimes, things don’t go according to plan. As far as surprises go, this is one of the nice ones.”

Celestia kneeled, lowering herself to Sunset’s eye level. She smiled warmly.

“Sunset, do you remember our last conversation? Before you left through the mirror?”

“I’m so sorry, Princess Celestia. I should have listened to you. I was so hungry for power, I never thought about the consequences.” Sunset kept her eyes locked on the ground, hoping she could hold back her tears. She couldn’t. “I was horrible. I didn’t deserve to be your student. I thought you were holding me back, but I was so, so wrong. I failed you. I’ve regretted my choice every day.”

Both Twilights frowned. One bit her lip and looked away.

Celestia lifted Sunset’s chin, staring deeply into her old student’s eyes. “I told you I thought you could be great if you focused on compassion, not power. I knew there was a kindness in your heart, Sunset, but I did not foster it. You didn’t fail me. I failed you.”

Sunset’s crying shifted from restrained tears to ugly sobs. Maybe the other Sunset would understand how awkward she looked now.

“You have proven yourself beyond a shadow of a doubt. You truly are the pony I believed you could be.” Celestia slowly stood. “I would like to offer you the chance to return to your studies in Canterlot.”

The ponies gasped. Sunset stared at Celestia, jaw dropped. For a long time, nopony said a word. Taking a deep breath, Sunset wiped away her tears, looking up to Celestia with a sad smile. She opened her mouth, but failed to say anything. All watched with bated breath for her response.

The silence quickly passed from dramatic to uncomfortable.

“No,” she said finally. The ponies gasped again. “I am honored, Princess Celestia, that you think I’m ready. But I belong in the other world. My destiny is not by your side. It’s with my friends.”

Celestia immediately wrapped her in tight hug. Sunset hesitated for a moment before leaning in.

“I have never been more proud of you, Sunset Shimmer.”

“You know,” Sunset said when the two finally parted, “if you are looking for a student, I have someone in mind.

“Oh?”

“She recently saved Ponyville. She didn’t even need to use magic, though I have a feeling she could be quite talented.” Sunset turned to the other Sunset. “If you’re up for it, of course.”

The other Sunset’s eyes widened. She grinned madly and nodded emphatically.

“I suppose we have much to discuss, Sunset Shimmer,” Celestia said, turning to her new pupil.

“You can call me Sunny. That’s what Starlight used to call me. It’s less confusing.”

“Very well, Sunny.” Celestia looked back. “Starlight Glimmer.”

“I’m not changing my name,” one replied.

“I’m not either,” the other responded.

“I understand you and Sunny are close,” Celestia continued, ignoring them. “There is space in the castle for another. I would hate to separate you from your friend.”

The ponies all turned to Starlight, eagerly awaiting her decision. It didn’t take nearly as long.

“No thanks. I need a break from hooves. And magic.” Starlight turned to her friend. “I’ll miss you, dude, but I’m glad you’ve found where you belong. Please keep in touch this time, Sunny. You’re still my favorite gal.”

“I promise, dude.”

Celestia and Sunny walked away, discussing the logistics of her move. Watching them leave, Sunny’s Starlight pawed the ground. Sunset turned to her friends. Rainbow Dash and Applejack leaned on each other, either for balance or just to be close. Rarity and Applejack mirrored them. Both Twilights sat by each other, eyes locked on either Starlight. As confusing as it was keeping track of them, Sunset couldn’t help but feel lucky to have her friends. Even luckier to have two of each.

“I’m sorry I ran away,” Sunset said. “I knew it was a bad idea from the start.”

“You sure you don’t want to stay here, sugarcube? This is your home.”

“I’m sure.” Sunset smiled at the ponies, pausing only briefly before she tackled them in a hug. Rainbow tried to escape but Applejack held her down. “I’ll miss this place, but I’d miss you more. It’s not like I can’t visit.”

Sunset let them go. Staring at the ground, Twilight chewed her lip. Suddenly, the others were gone, ushered away by Applejack. Sunset sat down by Twilight, deciding to stare at the same spot on the ground.

“Hey,” she said softly.

“Hey,” Twilight replied.

“I understand if you want to talk things out some more,” Sunset said, doing her best to sound mature, “but I’m really not upset anymore. I know I can be a bit of an overprotective friend too.”

Twilight gently leaned against Sunset. “I’m really happy you found Starlight.”

“I think you two will get along. She and Princess Twilight are pretty close.” Sunset’s eyes lit up. “I should invite her to our next sleepover. She’s never been to one.”

“Oh, that is,” Twilight seemed to struggle to find the right words, “certainly an idea.”

“I would love to,” Starlight interrupted as she sat next to the pair. “Sorry to interrupt. I wasn’t trying to eavesdrop. But I did. That sounds really nice”

“It’s fine,” Twilight said flatly, walking away. She looked as though she carried the world on her purple pony shoulders. Applejack quickly trotted over and whispered something in her ear. It didn’t put a skip in her step, but it did put a perk in her ears.

“Hey, Twilight,” Applejack called to Princess Twilight, who seemed to be in the middle of a serious conversation with the other Starlight. “Do ponies have lattes?”

Whatever somber topic Twilight and Starlight were discussing was immediately dropped. Princess Twilight’s eyes sparkled. “Of course! They’re even better here. You don’t have to pay extra for oats.”

Starlight and Sunset stared at each other as the ponies walked off. Suddenly, Starlight pressed her face to Sunset’s, kissing her deeply and passionately. Surprised, Sunset pulled away at first. She blushed deeply, closed her eyes, and leaned in. After a far too short time for the pair, and far too long time for anypony else, they pulled apart. Cheeks burning with a blush, Sunset giggled. Starlight grinned.

“That’s how I imagined it going,” she said warmly.

“I liked it better than the train.”

“You’ll visit me, right?” Starlight asked with sudden seriousness.

“Of course. So long as you visit me too.”

“Deal.”

<<>>

Rainbow Dash stared at the stars through the gap in the trees. The metal bed of the truck was cold, a sharp contrast to Applejack’s heat. Rainbow listened to her partner’s rhythmic heartbeat and quiet breaths. She wished she could just freeze time on this moment, trapping the peace and calm. Slowly, she slid her hand down Applejack’s arm, finally intertwining their fingers. Her heart raced.

“Hey, Applejack?” she whispered.

“Hmm?” Applejack sleepily responded.

“I’m sorry I’m weird about us sometimes. I haven’t done this before.”

Applejack squeezed her hand. “You’re doin’ a mighty fine job.”

The two were silent for a minute, listening to the relaxing sounds of the night.

“I’m a furry,” Rainbow Dash blurted. She clamped a hand over her mouth and quickly pulled away. Refusing to let her go, Applejack raised herself on her elbows, smiling down at Rainbow. Applejack stroked her hair, which was oddly comforting. The moon offered just enough light to see Rainbow’s fearful eyes and trembling lips. Applejack decided not to let the words hang in the air any longer.

“I know, Dash.”

“You’re okay with that?”

“I ain’t gonna start wearin’ a tail or paws or anythin’,” Applejack said, settling back down. She tucked an arm behind her head, chuckling. “But I guess I’ll keep growin’ pony ears when we sing. And you? You’ll always be my little pony.”

Scooting closer, Rainbow rested her head on Applejack’s shoulder. She grinned. “You were a cute pony.”

“You were cute too. For a pony.”

Applejack closed her eyes. Rainbow stared at her, watching her chest rise peacefully with each breath. Applejack’s heat was a pleasant contrast to the cold metal of the truck. She wished she could freeze time on this moment. With a billion twinkling stars above, Applejack was still the most beautiful thing around. She snuggled closer, clinging to the warmth of her girlfriend.

“Hey, Applejack?” Rainbow whispered.

“Hmm?” Applejack sleepily replied.

“I love you too.”

Comments ( 5 )

you turned me off with the first few lines

1. thats not how people talk

2. SUNSET HAS SHOWN NO SIGNS OF LIKING HORSES

Yeah. I'm with someone else here on the first few lines KILLING any chance of me likeing the story. Not going to downvote it. But good lord.

Either Sunset took a whole bottle of stupid pills this morning. Or the author said "Fuck it. Sunset talks stupid for no reason."

But I read it anyway. More for completion's sake than anything else. No better.

I don't understand what the deal with "the first few lines" was. It's immediately explained (and later elaborated) that it's Starlight and Sunset seeing each other through "cool"-colored glasses so they're using inherently awful dudebro speak to seem "cooler."

Anyway, onto my actual thoughts on the actual story: I liked it a whole lot, actually! The humorous elements were right up my alley, had me cracking up out loud on more than one occasion -- stuff like Fluttershy's demure, very "Fluttershy" text, and Rarity's whole... whatever that was with the pants and her vehement denial regarding the sensibility of their existence? Got me every time, can't lie.

The more romantic elements were cute, too though I'm gonna go ahead and throw out a #RIP for Sci-Twi and her distinct lack of being a Small Horse and the overall plot with the two doppelgängers showing up to cause havoc was interesting both in concept and execution, so hat's off to you for that, Hawk.

tl;dr: had a good time, got more than a few solid reactions out of me. Had to giving it a rating? Let's go with a flat Nice/10 and leave it on that note.

I find it funny people are butthurt with the way dialogue was handled in a fic that has a COMEDY tag... I mean, the opening line from Sunset had me laughing my ass off, and then the comment after that about her liking horses being the more pressing issue had me doubling down on that laughter. The plot was alright, though I'm not looking for deep storytelling in a comedy fic, so kudos, since I laughed a lot more during this than I usually do.

This was a really fun read! It was like a nice PG13 adventure and I think you nailed all the characters' mannerisms and everyone played off each other's personalities really well. AJ and RD had a really fun dynamic, they're super cute together!

Login or register to comment