• Published 2nd Jan 2018
  • 30,885 Views, 23,983 Comments

The Maretian - Kris Overstreet



Mark Watney is stranded- the only human on Mars. But he's not alone- five astronauts from a magical kingdom are shipwrecked with him.

  • ...
49
 23,983
 30,885

PreviousChapters Next
Sol 183

“It wasn’t an easy decision,” Teddy said to begin the meeting, “but I’ve decided against the Rich Purnell maneuver. We’ll proceed with Sleipnir 4 and a refueling mission to Sleipnir 3. Hermes will return to Earth and dock with the space station for refit.”

Teddy’s pronouncement was made to utter silence. Mitch Henderson clenched and released his fists, sitting up on the edge of the couch. Annie Montrose made a note on her phone. Bruce Ng slumped a little in his chair.

For his own part, Venkat felt a little disappointed. Yes, there was a lot of risk with the Rich Purnell proposal, but leaving Mark Watney and the aliens on Mars was a lot riskier. “If it’s not too much to ask,” he said, “what made up your mind?”

Teddy sighed. “It’s a matter of risk,” he said. “Right now we have six people on Mars with a source of food and more on the way. They have multiple shelters in case something goes wrong. We have at least limited communications with them. Granted that all of that could change at any time, for the moment they aren’t in direct and immediate danger.

“But the Rich Purnell maneuver puts the crew on Hermes in direct and immediate danger. Something might break that wouldn’t if a proper refit could occur. An error or malfunction with the engines could result in a failed maneuver, stranding them in space. The radiation shielding or heat transfer systems could fail during its close approach to the sun, killing everyone on board. If the resupply mission fails, they would starve, as would anyone they tried to rescue.

“And then there’s the plan’s dependence on the Sparkle Drive for success. Even for the ponies it’s an experimental system. We know practically nothing about it. It might not even work in our universe.”

“Rich Purnell says it should work,” Mitch growled. “And Watney’s reports include multiple cases of Starlight Glimmer teleporting, so we know it’s possible.”

“It’s still an unnecessary risk,” Teddy replied, shaking his head. “It would be different if the trajectory didn’t take Hermes in-system, or if Watney’s food supply were gone, or if Sleipnir 2 had failed. And I’m aware that circumstances could change to make the danger urgent enough that the Rich Purnell maneuver would have been the right call. But under the current situation, with Watney and the aliens sheltered, fed, and in daily communication with us, I can’t justify putting five more people in jeopardy, even to save seven months on the rescue date.”

“You left out something,” Mitch said, his voice raspy. “Watney and his friends are sheltered, fed, in communication, and on Mars. That last item’s the important part. We don’t know what the planet will throw at them next.”

“No, we don’t,” Teddy admitted. “But the same applies to space. And the known risks of the Rich Purnell maneuver outweigh the risks on Mars.”

“Did you even ask the crew?” Mitch said, his hostile tone of voice unmistakable. “We’ve trained them for years for their mission. They’re the foremost experts on what the risk is and how to counter it. Especially the risks to Hermes and the risks of Mars!”

Teddy shook his head. “You know the answer they’d give,” he said. “No matter the risk, they’d say yes. They’re emotionally invested in the answer. But someone has to be able to say no. And that responsibility is ultimately mine.”

“It should be their decision,” Mitch insisted. “You didn’t even ask.”

“It would still be my decision in the end,” Teddy said. “However, we’re not rejecting all of the Purnell plan. I’d still prefer to use a new MAV that can be landed at the Ares III site, but we could re-launch Hermes as much as two months early if we commit to Mark taking an overland route to Schiaparelli and the Ares IV MAV. Bruce, Venkat, I’ll need teams working on modifications to the rovers to carry all six of them there, plus food for the trip and fifty days on-site.”

“Once it’s refueled, we could redirect Sleipnir 3 to Schiaparelli,” Bruce said. “That’d take care of the food at the end of the trip.”

Teddy shook his head. “Too risky,” he said. “Where he is, Mark can grow food right up to the moment he leaves. Once he leaves he gives that up. If he only takes the food he needs for the trip, he has no margin if the food isn’t waiting for him at the end. No,” Teddy said, “food resupplies ship to Acidalia, and Mark judges for himself if it’s usable.”

As the discussion continued into the details of adapting the two Ares rovers for a trip of over 3,000 kilometers, Venkat spared a moment to contemplate the stout figure on the office couch. Mitch looked like he wanted to bite something- possibly galvanized nails. But more to the point, he wasn’t just furious, he was furiously thinking about something. Possibly planning something.

After a bit of thought, Venkat decided to pretend he’d seen nothing. Then the conversation returned to him, and he couldn’t spare any more thought for whatever might be going on behind Mitch’s glaring, squinted eyes.

But when the meeting broke up, Mitch walked out with Venkat. The moment Teddy’s office door closed, Mitch said, “He’s forgotten the urgency of the situation. It’s been too long since the Hab blew out.”

“He’s worried that Hermes might blow out instead,” Venkat said. “It’s a hard job.”

“You agree with him,” Mitch accused.

“I see both sides of the problem,” Venkat said. “And I wouldn’t have asked the Hermes crew either, not when we know the answer. But I don’t think I agree with him, no.”

“So you’d have gone with the Rich Purnell thing?” Mitch asked.

“I don’t know,” Venkat said. “I’d like to say yes, but if I was NASA Director and Teddy was just Project Ares chief, it might look differently.”

“Can you stop waffling for one minute and give a straight answer?”

Venkat stopped walking, thought a moment, and then said, “I think Hermes can make the trip without serious danger. And I think it’s vital to get Mark and his friends off Mars as soon as possible. My only concern is getting them all to Schiaparelli- Mark, the ponies, their food, and all the equipment they’ll need for the MAV modifications. That’s a gigantic challenge. But I think we can do it.”

He resumed walking, saying, “So on balance, I’d say yes, we should have gone with it. But it’s not our decision.”

“Damn right,” Mitch said. “It should be Melissa Lewis’s decision. And Watney’s, and Cherry Berry’s, for that matter.”

“Yes and no,” Venkat said. “I would never order Lewis to spend another year and a half in space. And I won’t order Cherry Berry’s crew to do anything whatever. But the first decision? The decision on whether or not the new mission is too risky? We have to make that decision, Mitch. Us, here on-“

“You just don’t get it, do you?” Mitch growled, brushing past Venkat and striding to the stairs.

Venkat, for himself, waited for the elevator. There were a lot of floors between Teddy Sanders’ office and ground level. He just hoped the long walk down the stairs cooled Mitch off a little, before he did something they’d all regret.

MISSION LOG – SOL 183

No TV tonight, because my guests spent the entire evening arguing about whether or not the Elements of Harmony would have any effect on Dolores Umbridge.

I’m assuming you can find a copy of the Harry Potter series for yourself, so I’ll just point out that the Elements of Harmony are magical artifacts which can purge a target of evil influences. Starlight Glimmer describes them as a “coherent wave of friendship magic produced by the interpersonal bonds between exceptionally close ponies.” Dragonfly describes them as “the rainbow magic hammer.” They’ve been used to save the pony homeland at least three different times.

Anyway, the discussion was mostly in English, although it drifted into Pony-talk towards the end as Spitfire and Fireball got tired of stumbling over their words. Cherry Berry and Spitfire insist that the Elements would cure Umbridge of being Queen High Sadistic Ultra-bitch. Dragonfly and Fireball insist that bitchdom is Umbridge’s default nature, and that the Elements would only banish her to the moon or turn her to stone.

Starlight mostly stayed out of the discussion. She looked really uncomfortable about the whole thing. When I asked her why, she said something about being a “recovering Umbridge” and refused to discuss it further.

That’s kind of strange. If I had to pick one of my guests to be the anti-Umbridge it would be… well, it would be Cherry Berry, because she’s about as malicious as a puppy. But Starlight would be a close second. I just can’t imagine her as a petty tyrant. I need to ask her about that another time, when she’s not feeling so defensive.

In other news, I noticed this morning that I only have three bacon breakfasts left. This is tragic, but it gives me an idea…

Author's Note:

Busy again, and tired, and jangled from too much noise.

Buffer will have to be rebuilt on Monday or Tuesday. Can't do it now.

PreviousChapters Next