• Published 2nd Jan 2018
  • 30,900 Views, 23,985 Comments

The Maretian - Kris Overstreet



Mark Watney is stranded- the only human on Mars. But he's not alone- five astronauts from a magical kingdom are shipwrecked with him.

  • ...
49
 23,985
 30,900

PreviousChapters Next
Sol 412

AMICITAS FLIGHT THREE – MISSION DAY 419
ARES III SOL 412

“You know,” Mark said as he pulled a bundle of wiring out of its recess, “you have it lucky. The capsule we took to the moon had fourteen miles of wiring. With your magic comms and life support, your ship has a lot less.”

“That doesn’t make this any more fun,” Dragonfly grumbled. She was of no mind to be buoyed by Mark’s it-could-be-worse comments, not when she was engaged in one of the most hated tasks ever to confront a repairpony: wiring harness inspection.

Lots of subsystems and control panels had been yanked and dumped in the search for weight savings. The entire launch staging system, with all its reprogrammable switches- gone. The subsystem for controlling maneuvering thrusters- junk, once NASA had looked at the thruster block specifications and assured her that the MAV’s control system could be adapted to use them instead of its own heavier thrusters. Engine throttle- what engine? Buh-bye.

But in many cases the wiring for these systems remained, because it was too much trouble to unearth the wiring harness involved and then remove only the superfluous wires. Technically it still was, because even with wire coding it was impossible to be certain that one out of a dozen little wires in a bundle was the one you wanted to strip out. But they had to pull all of them anyway, and inspect them all, and make sure there were no bare spots where insulation had failed, allowing the metal wire to touch or spark against the metal of the ship interior.

Mark had told them all about what had happened once in a human ship, one with a pure oxygen atmosphere, when a wire sparked. The ship life support provided normal atmosphere and not pure oxygen, but the image stuck in Dragonfly’s mind of a fire that burned so fast that the bodies of the astronauts it killed didn’t have time to cook. That image almost- almost- made going through every single wire remaining in the ship tolerable.

But it didn’t make it even slightly fun.

Yesterday had been the easy part. Yesterday they’d found every cut end, yanked the wire completely if it was conveniently short (not many), and taped off every loose end too troublesome to remove. (This was a lot- Dragonfly was down to a sliver of electrical tape on the spool, although admittedly the outer quarter or so had been made useless by the same Martian cold immediately after the crash that had turned the ship manuals into confetti). That had proceeded quickly- the loose ends were all in known, easy-to-find, generally easy-to-access places, generally because they were where something had been cut or removed.

But wiring inspection was worse than watching paint dry. You could let your mind wander with paint, but you had to pay full and absolute attention to every bloody inch of what was still several miles of itty bitty wires.

Thankfully, just before Dragonfly was going to ask for a break, Mark did. “I need to rest my eyes,” he said after checking off Wiring Harness #7 (port thruster control, port SRB ignition and decoupling control lines, habitat deck and engineering deck lighting). “I haven’t told NASA yet, but I’ve been getting a little bit farsighted the last couple of months.”

“Farsighted?” Dragonfly asked. “Does that mean you can see the future?”

“What? No,” Mark said, confused. “It means I’m going to need reading glasses when I get back to Earth.”

“Oh. You don’t have any problem with computer screens.”

“Computer screens aren’t up close to my face, and the letters are pretty big. But I can’t read the characters on your wiring harnesses without squinting really hard.” Mark sighed. “It’s a common symptom of long term zero-gravity- weakened vision, I mean- but I’d hoped Mars gravity would be enough to avoid it.”

“Huh.” As Mark flopped over to lean his back against the habitat deck bulkhead, Dragonfly joined him in a similar pose. “That’s kind of strange. You have the smallest eyes of any of us, but they’re also the most fragile.”

“Yeah, I’ve wondered how the ponies get on with those huge eyes of theirs. Probably spend a fortune on eye drops.” Mark chuckled. “Allergy season must be a bitch.”

Dragonfly blinked again. “Um, no,” she said quietly. “I mean, a few ponies have allergies, but it’s not like it’s crippling or something.”

“Oh. Huh.”

The conversation lapsed, and Mark shut his eyes, reaching up to rub his temples with one hand.

“Hey, there’s a thing you can do that we can’t,” Dragonfly chirped. “We can’t rub both temples at the same time.”

“Mmm.”

More silence.

“I was wondering,” Dragonfly asked, “why don’t we move to the cave for the last few sols?” She’d thought about proposing this for weeks now, but this seemed like the time to bring it up.

“Mmm?” Mark didn’t open his eyes. “Hadn’t thought about it much. First thing I think of, I don’t want to move Pathfinder. After what we saw when we opened up Sojourner, I think we were lucky as shit that Pathfinder worked pretty much first time. For all we know, any little bump could kill it. The Hab still has work space, the equipment we’re not taking with us, six hydrogen cells for extra power storage, and more safety backups than the cave or the rover. It’s still the safest place.”

“Yeah, but… well,” Dragonfly muttered, a little uncomfortable with her thought, “you’re a botanist- a farmer, basically. Doesn’t the farm feel more like home?”

Mark snorted, but his eyes stayed shut. “The cave is the most alien place on Mars to me,” he said. “Yeah, it has plants. But it’s underground, in a giant geode that dwarfs almost anything ever found on Earth, and it runs ninety percent on a force of nature my entire species had relegated to myth.” He chuckled and added, “Well, most of us. I hear there are some who think that there are evil magicians among us who cast curses and steal away men’s penises.”

Dragonfly couldn’t hold back her laugh. “What??”

“I could barely say it the first time,” Mark said. “Apparently there’s this really weird mental disease, a kind of paranoia, that can make a man think his genitals are gone. And then they have to blame somebody, because obviously…” The human began to chuckle uncontrollably, then managed to finish, “… they don’t just get up and walk away…”

Dragonfly laughed too, but not as much. “You humans are weird,” she said.

“Yeah, probably,” Mark said once he calmed down. “But my point is, the Hab feels more like home than anything else here. I trained in a simulation of the Hab for years. And I’ve spent over a year living in it. The cave is nice, but…”

“The cave is alive,” Dragonfly said. “The Hab is dying.”

Mark’s eyes finally opened. They looked a little sad, staring off at the opposite wall of the compartment. “Yeah, I know,” he said. “We’re killing it one piece at a time. The life support is down to about eighty percent capacity, give or take, despite my maintenance. We’re lucky it has that. It was never meant to last this long with full occupation, much less with full occupation plus a farm.”

“Mmm.” Humans got a lot of mileage out of grunts as conversational tools, and Dragonfly could see why.

“There’s a children’s book back home,” Mark said. “It’s called The Giving Tree. The tree gives the young boy an apple. It gives the older boy a place to hang a swing. When the boy becomes a man, he takes the wood to build a house. And when he’s an old man, there’s nothing left to take. All the tree has left is its stump, and so the old man sits and rests on that. That’s what the Hab feels like to me- a giving tree.”

“That… that’s so stupid!” Dragonfly snapped. “I want a copy of that book to put in the hive nursery! It’s a perfect changeling story! Only instead of ‘The Giving Tree’ we’d call it ‘The Taking Boy!’ That tree gave the same way ponies ‘give’ to changelings!”

“Yeah, you’re not the first to notice the story’s a little one-sided,” Mark said. “But there’s another side to it. The stuff the boy took didn’t make him happy in the end. In fact, at the end he had nothing except the stump of the tree, because he’d taken and never really gave back. And when he’s old, he goes back to where he was young and happy, trying to find that again.”

Mark shook his head. “I haven’t read the book in so many years, I’m probably messing it up. But I feel bad about how we’ve looted the Hab. It’s one of the reasons why I wanted to help keep the cave going. I can’t save the Hab, but maybe I can save that.”

“Huh.” Dragonfly shifted position. “How are your eyes?”

“They still hurt a bit,” Mark said. “Gimme a few more minutes.”

“Okay.” Dragonfly got up, stretched her legs, and trotted over to her discarded spacesuit. “I’m going back into the Hab for a minute. Want anything?”

“Pill bottle in the medicine chest marked ‘aspirin’,” Mark said. “If you could bring that. Rather not touch the Vicodin unless I have to.”

“Okay. Back in a while.”

It took time to cycle out the ship’s airlock and in via Airlock 2 of the Hab. Once inside, she checked the clock. In about two hours Mark would have to take Rover 2 to the cave to pick up the others- well, Starlight and Fireball, anyway; Cherry and Spitfire would walk back. But for the moment she was alone in the Hab.

The Hab floor was dirty, but no longer dirt. The plants had been carefully transferred to the cave, followed by as much of the cultivated soil as they could shovel up. The cabinets and tables, so shiny and brilliant when the five of them had first entered it the night of Sol 6, now looked dingy, scratched, beaten. The canvas scar left by the blown-out Airlock 1 grabbed and held the eye, reminding Dragonfly of that pony who had worked for the Storm King, what’s-her-name. One of the air circulation fans rattled, and another had that high-pitched whine only Dragonfly could hear, warning that its bearing was beginning to fail.

Without the farm- without the castaways- the Hab felt sadder, more tired, than before. If Dragonfly put the sensation into words, it had moved away from I still stand and had edged closer to I once stood. She still didn’t know if what she felt was real or some magic-deprivation hallucination, but to her it didn’t just feel like the Hab was dying; it felt like the Hab knew it was dying.

“Excuse me,” she said, alone in the ninety-two square meter space under the canvas dome. “I, um, just want to say something. We didn’t build you. The five of us, I mean, not Mark. We just showed up. You protected us. You warned us when you had trouble. You stood up to frightful things and kept us safe. And now we’re taking parts of you so we can go a long way away, and probably never come back.”

There was a vague hint that the bug had something’s attention. More hallucinations, probably. She felt silly, but she carried on.

“Well, I just want to say that we’re grateful for all you’ve done. And we’re sorry, really sorry, for how badly we abused you. You deserved better. You deserved a happier mission, with your proper crew. Instead you got us, and you took care of us. And now you’re giving us a chance to live long enough to maybe make it home again.”

Dragonfly walked up to the console of the Hab’s main computer, the one that monitored all the other equipment, the one too big and inconvenient to take with them to Schiaparelli. She placed a hoof on the side of the console and said, quietly, “Thank you.”

And the Hab was happy.

Author's Note:

In the book Mark Watney explicitly refers to the Hab as the Giving Tree.

And with this, the buffer is out of negative digits and back to zero.

PreviousChapters Next