• Published 2nd Jan 2018
  • 13,973 Views, 993 Comments

Scars of Our Past - JWolfSilver



After the events of the fall formal Sunset is alone and most of the school against her. Will she accept her new friendships are real and will she realize that there is someone who wants to make her family?

  • ...
16
 993
 13,973

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 9: So Many Questions

Author's Note:

Author's Note 

So, I know I usually post on Monday, don't get me wrong, I still plan to, but this chapter is...well, just cause I felt like it. I mean, I have 30 completed chapters burning a hole in my hard drive and I just can't help it. How do you people feel about me posting twice a week? Might not necessarily be Thursdays but...meh.

Anyway, Later!

Nurse Tender Heart stuck to her word and woke Sunset up as soon as the period ended. She was grateful for that, she never liked missing class but she was only missing art so she could make it up on her own time. She probably could have just stayed asleep as she just had gym after art which she couldn’t even participate in for the time being but it was a good time to go to the library and get her homework done, especially since she had to work after school.

Principal Celestia had apparently stopped by while she was asleep and dropped off her sunglasses, much to her delight.

She slipped them on, flinching as her hand brushed her cheek, it definitely left a bruise.

Sunset grabbed her school bag, thankful that someone had grabbed it and headed out the door, waving to Tender Heart as she left.

“Sunset!” A high-pitched voice said as she was tackled in a pink clad hug.

What’s going on? Why is she hugging me? This feels weird, I’m not sure if I like it. How do I get her to stop? Sunset internally panicked.

Luckily, they pulled away before too long, revealing none other than Pinkie Pie and her boundless enthusiasm.

“Are you OK?” She asked, “We were so worried about you! That mean old Gilda was suspended though, so was Trixie actually. Anyway, when I told Mrs. Brush what happened she told me to give you today’s assignment for you to do when you have time. You have to have it done by Monday though, but I told her ‘Sunset will probably finish it on Saturday because she doesn’t leave thing to the last minute’ then she told me to have a seat and do my own assignment. Here!” She shoved sheet of paper in Sunset’s hand then continued without skipping a beat, “Good thing we were drawing! I mean, it would be pretty awkward to take a huge canvas and art supplies on the bus!”

“Pinkie,” Rainbow said as she approached, Rarity and Applejack on her heels, “I think you’re scaring her.”

Everyone looked to Sunset who pinned herself against the door in an awkward stance eyes wide with fear behind the lenses of her glasses.

Someone save me. Sunset thought, I don’t know what’s going on! Was Pinkie trying to be friendly or was it out of concern? Was it both? Could it be both? Wait, why is everyone staring at me?

Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow, “Uh. Sunset?”

“Huh?” Sunset snapped herself out of her thoughts.

Rarity stepped forward and went to place a hand on Sunset’s shoulder but the other girl flinched away from the hand, “Are you alright, Sunset? You seem…tense.”

“What?” Sunset spoke quickly as she inched away, “Yeah! I’m fine! Me? Tense? No, I’m good. Great even. I got to go check in with coach Magnus, bye!”

Sunset ran down, the hall, avoiding the other students and ignoring their glares. She mentally kicked herself for leaving the girls that way but she felt a wave of anxiety wash over her when Pinkie pie hugged her. Sure, when she dated Flash Sentry he hugged her once and that too left her in a flustered state. Those were the only two times in her entire life that she’d been hugged. The Equestrian version of it being nuzzling or putting a hoof over another pony but being so close was foreign to her.

I’ll have to apologize later. Sunset sighed, I don’t want to upset the only people that don’t hate me.

Sunset checked in with coach Magnus then headed to the library where a wave of relief washed over her as she slumped down in her usual table close to Cheerilee’s desk. She cracked open her physics homework and got to work.

She sat in peace for a little over ten minutes before she felt the table shift slightly followed by the sound of chairs being pulled up. Looking up from her work she silently gasped as Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Fluttershy sat at her table.

“What are you guys doing?” Sunset asked stupidly.

“Sitting down,” Rainbow said with a hint of sarcasm, “Obviously.”

“Don’t you guys have class?” Sunset asked, still stunned.

“Well,” Rarity said, gesturing to Rainbow, “My math teacher gave us a study period.”

“I just didn’t feel like going to History.” Rainbow Dash shrugged.

“And I asked Coach Magnus if I could come here instead of playing dodgeball.” Fluttershy shuddered.

Sunset looked to Fluttershy, eyes widened, “We have PE together?”

“I’m usually in a corner trying to survive.” The pink haired girl blushed a little.

Sunset smirked a little, “OK, but I was asking why are you guys sitting with me? With other people watching.”

“Ugh!” Rainbow Dash groaned, “For someone so smart you don’t listen do you?”

“We told you earlier,” Rarity continued, “We want to help you and give you a genuine chance and hopefully, you will eventually see us as friends.”

“Yeah, I remember.” Sunset buried her chin in her arms, “I honestly thought I dreamed it.”

“Nope!” Rainbow said as she went to rest her arm on Sunset’s shoulder but she jerked away, “Uh, I mean, you didn’t dream it and until you give our little group a shot, you are stuck with us.”

Sunset was silent for a moment to collect her thoughts. These girls were obviously genuine in their proposal and Sunset really did want to give this friendship thing a try. She really wanted to but there was just one matter she wanted to take care of first. Thinking back to what Dr. Horse told her, she might like it. Though, she also wasn’t sure if she even deserved it.

It was then that she decided that she would work so that one day she could tell herself that, ‘Yes, she does deserve this.’

“OK.” Sunset said finally.

“Don’t even- wait. Did you say, ‘OK’?” Rainbow stared wide eyed.

Sunset nodded, “There is something I really need to do first. I don’t think I could live with myself if I left it the way it is.”

“What’s that?” Asked Fluttershy.

She shook her head, “I want Applejack and Pinkie Pie to hear this too.”

“Well alright then,” Rarity smiled brightly, “I will text the others, we can meet a Sugar Cube corner after school!”

Sunset was about to agree but remembered something important, “I actually can’t today.” Sunset sighed, “I have to go to work after school.”

Rarity thought for a moment then an idea popped in her head, “Unlock your phone and give it to me.”

“What?” Sunset questioned, gripping said device in her pocket.

“Relax, Sunset, darling.” Rarity said, “I will return it in a moment.”

Sunset reluctantly did as she was told, unlocking her phone and passing it across the table to Rarity. The girl snatched it immediately and started messing around on the device. Sunset watched nervously for several moments before Rarity handed it back to her.

Sunset looked at the screen and saw that Rarity had added the five girls as contacts. She looked questioningly at the pale girl.

“If you are free this Saturday, just text me.” Rarity said, “Then we can plan a time to meet.”

“Uh, OK.” Sunset nodded.

Rarity fiddled on her own phone for a moment before Sunset, Rainbow and Fluttershy all got a text message. It was a message which was sent through a group chat where Rarity had texted, ‘Hello all!’

Applejack had responded immediately.

AJ: ‘Hey there, we in a group chat now?’

Rarity: ‘Yes we r!’

AJ: ‘Who is this other number?’

Pinkie: ‘It’s Sunset silly!’

RD: ‘How did you know that?’

Pinkie: ‘Who else would it be?’

It continued like that for a while before Sunset turned her phone off. The rest of the period, the three girls talked while Sunset did some of her homework, responding only when she needed to.

When the bell rang, Sunset and the other’s left the library. Rarity, Applejack and Fluttershy making a point to walk with her, again, meeting the glares and comments with their own. Once she got to her locker she gave a nervous smile to the girl before quickly grabbing her stuff and heading to the bus.

She sat in her usual seat and sighed in relief. That relief didn’t last long as she’d expected.

“Mind if I sit with ya?” An unmistakable country drawl asked.

Sunset looked up to see Applejack standing in the isle next to her seat, “Uh, sure.” She said, putting her bag in her lap so Applejack could take a seat.

Applejack smiled nervously and sat down, “Thanks.”

“So, I thought the shuttle usually took you home.” Sunset said after a few awkward moments of silence.

“I work at the smoothie place at the mall.” She explained, “You work at the Sushi place, right?”

Sunset nodded but then questioned, “I thought you worked at your family’s farm.”

She laughed, “Yes, but there isn’t much farmin’ to do in the winter. Plus, I don’t really get paid for farm chores.”

Sunset nodded in understanding, “Yeah, Celestia didn’t pay me much for doing stuff around the castle.” She frowned, “But I was only a filly back then.”

Applejack saw the look on Sunset’s face but chose to keep the conversation light, “I keep forgettin’ you used to be a pony.”

“Unicorn actually.” She smiled.

Applejack laughed and soon Sunset did too. The country girl pressed a button on the wall and within moments, the bus stopped in front of the mall. Both girls thanked the driver and got off the bus. Sunset shivered as a cold breeze made it through her sweater. Applejack however, was comfy in her warm fall jacket.

“It’s going to start snowin’ soon.” She said as they entered the building.

“Ugh, I hate the winter.” Sunset admitted, “It’s nothing but cold and it’s just a miserable season.”

Applejack raised an eyebrow, “Now what exactly do you mean by that? Winter is bushels of fun!”

She shrugged, “I don’t know, I’ve never really experienced any of the ‘fun’ stuff. I’ve either been working, studying or…plotting.”

“Well,” Applejack said, “When it does snow, and if you stop avoidin’ us, maybe we can change your view on it.”

Sunset couldn’t help but smile at her, “I might just take you up on that.”

Applejack smiled back at her as they came to the smoothie place in the food court, “Well, this is me! Have a good night.”

Sunset kept walking after she waved to the other girl, It was actually really nice just talking with someone. It was so natural, I forgot what I was worried about in the first place. This ‘friendship’ thing might not be so bad.

PreviousChapters Next