• Published 2nd Jan 2018
  • 13,986 Views, 993 Comments

Scars of Our Past - JWolfSilver



After the events of the fall formal Sunset is alone and most of the school against her. Will she accept her new friendships are real and will she realize that there is someone who wants to make her family?

  • ...
16
 993
 13,986

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5: No One Likes Hospitals

Like most hospitals, it was a little over an hour before a doctor was free to see Sunset and no one was at all surprised that he said she had a second grade concussion. He ordered a CT scan to be sure and they were surprised when the hospital could take her immediately but the doctor instructed Pinkie Pie, Maud and Fluttershy to remain in the waiting room.

Sunset was relieved that she had gotten her paperwork all sorted out six months prior. It was the reason Sunset lived in an abandoned building, all her extra money was being saved so she would have the papers she needed just in case something happened or she chose to stay.

The doctor had told her the scan took about thirty minutes but she had to stay perfectly still. This, Sunset already knew. They had those machines in Equestria, she needed one while she was a filly when a stack of books fell on her head while in Princess Celestia’s library in the palace. It was probably one of the worst days she had before she started to get cruel.

Celestia had been so concerned for her well-being that she had put off her royal duties for the entire day just to sit in the hospital. Sunset had been out cold for a few hours that day, having knocked herself unconscious again while trying to prove she could walk fine, tripping over her own hooves and face planting against the wall.

Sunset let the doctor know she was a little claustrophobic so he gave her tips on how to handle it as he too was not fond of small space. He also had put music on through the speakers to help her relax. The half hour passed quickly and she was taken back into the waiting room to await the results.

Though she was still tired and had a headache, she was now walking a lot better and no longer felt like vomiting, so she considered that another win.

“The doctor told me to wait until the scans were ready.” Sunset said as she plopped down in her seat between Pinkie and Fluttershy.

“How are you feeling?” Fluttershy asked.

Sunset took a deep breath, “My head hurts and I’m tired but I feel a lot better, thanks. Now I can actually think.”

“That’s great!” Pinkie said, “We should have a ‘congratulations on feeling better’ party!”

Sunset gave Pinkie an incredulous look, “Why?”

“Because I like to make people happy with parties!” She said, “I love to throw them!”

“If you really want to make people happy, don’t have one where I’m invited.” Sunset said, leaning back in her chair.

“But that wouldn’t make you happy, silly.” Pinkie said.

Sunset rolled her eyes and closed them. “Who cares if I’m happy? I haven’t actually been happy in years, and I don’t really care. I made your lives miserable and now you’re sitting with me in the hospital after I gave myself a concussion.”

“Well,” Fluttershy spoke, “You wanted us to stay. That’s what friends do.”

“Friends?” Sunset paused and could feel a tear leaking from her eye, “You’re not my friends. I barely know you! What I do know about you, I used to destroy you!” Sunset looked at Fluttershy. “I don’t deserve to be friends with you!” She wasn’t angry, all three girls could see that and all three of them could see the sadness in her eyes. Finally, she sighed, “You guys should go. It’s getting late, I’m OK to take a bus home.”

“Are you sure?” Pinkie asked, “At least one of us could stay with you.”

“No, it’s alright,” Sunset waved her off, “Go, thank you for staying as long as you did. I really do appreciate it.”

They all nodded, the two other teens even gave her a hug she couldn’t bring herself to return. Sunset waved them off with a sad smile. She was sad to see them go but she was the one who sent them away, they would have stayed as long as she wanted them to. Besides, She didn't really want them finding out where she lived.

Friends? Sunset questioned, closing her eyes, Friends with me? That doesn’t sound right. They are friends with Twilight, they promised to look after me. That’s what they stayed and I sent them away. I don’t want them mixed up in my problems just because they’re ‘friends’ with me. They probably won’t bother with me come tomorrow anyway.

Sunset jumped when her name was called, Doctor Horse was waiting with a smile on his face. The teen went over and followed him into a nearby room that looked exactly like a clinic’s exam room, not an emergency room but it was a lot better than the rest of the musty sterile rooms in the hospital.

“So, this is going to be short and sweet.” The Doctor smiled, “You are going to be fine. It was only a grade two and you seem to be doing a lot better since you came in. Your friends were really nice to bring you here.”

Sunset frowned, “They’re not my friends. I don’t have any.”

He raised an eyebrow, “If they’re not your friends, why did they wait for you?”

“They were just being nice.” She said, “They have no reason to be. I bullied them since we started High School.”

He nodded, “How did you end up like that then?”

“Some girl shoved me in a locker and locked it.” Sunset explained, “I had a panic attack and tried to bust it open with my head. As you can see, it didn’t end well.

“Yes, you probably dented the locker. Custodian isn’t going to like that.” He said with a completely serious expression.

Sunset couldn’t help but chuckle a little at his joke, “Probably not.”

“So, what was the name of this girl?” He asked.

“Trixie.” Sunset said honestly, “I just want to let it go. If she gets punished it’s only going to get worse for me. Principal Celestia knows it was her though. Am I good to go home now?”

“Yes,” Dr. Horse said, “No physical activity until your headache goes away. If you walk to school, take it easy or take a bus.”

“Yes, sir.” Sunset said, with a salute and a smile “Can I have a note for my Gym teacher?”

“Of course.” He smiled, chickling at the girl’s sense of humor. They sat in silence as he scribbled on his clipboard.

He handed Sunset a piece of paper with a note written on it, then she folded it up and put it in her pocket.

“Thanks.” She smiled.

“Your welcome.” He nodded as he held the door open for her, “You should really re-think that friendship thing, you’ll probably like it.”

Sunset left without a word and made it just in time to board the bus home.

***

Sunset stood in the middle of the courtyard late at night night, looking at the scene unfold in front of her. The student body was hypnotized and her demon self, hovered in the sky, looking down on Princess Twilight. A ball of dark magic formed in her hands.

This was a scene Sunset had watched unfold almost every time she closed her eyes, the only exception was the dreamless sleep she had the night of the event. It haunted her but she would never let her fear show in the waking world.

It was a few days after the formal that she made the terrifying realization. It had been a lot of the reason she wanted to keep the five girls away from her, she was dangerous and didn’t want them to get hurt. It was so close, they got in the way of her target, they should have never even gotten hit with that ball of darkness. Yet her target was no different. Innocent, pure, everything Sunset had pushed away in favor of greed, anger, hate, revenge…power.

The demon chucked the ball at the Princess, and her friends ran in at the last moment. Even now Sunset felt relief when she saw that barrier around them. Just that barrier made her want to cry with joy. Then unlike the previous dreams, the scene rewound.

Again, the ball flew, this time, no barrier. The dream shoved her forwards to look at the damage. Six girls lay on the ground, battered and bloody, no life was left, no friendship was present, just depression. Sunset fell to her knees and cried angrily.

“No!” She sobbed, “They didn’t deserve this! Why did I let it go this far!”

“This is what you wanted isn’t it?” her demon placed a hand on her back, it seared through her clothes, giving birth to her own wings, “They were in your way.”

“They were doing the right thing!” Sunset yelled, “Now, they’re gone! I’m a monster!”

“Why do you care?” The demon asked, “You said they’re not your friends.”

“Because I don’t deserve to have any.” Cried Sunset, “They never deserved anything I did to them. This is my punishment.”

“Yes,” the demon mused, “we always said friendship was a weakness, it would always lead to feelings we don’t have room for.”

“I hate that I thought like that.” Sunset said, “Look where that philosophy got me.”

“But you could start again.” The demon laughed evilly, “This pathetic school could be at your knees once again.”

“No, I don’t want it.” Sunset said.

At that moment she was in that locker again.

She demon.

Monster.

Sinner.

Just go die in a ditch

Devil.

The insults of her fellow students could be heard until she reached the waking world.

Her greatest fear was that she could have become little more than a killer and that was a thought she wouldn’t bare to live with.

PreviousChapters Next