• Published 2nd Jan 2018
  • 14,028 Views, 993 Comments

Scars of Our Past - JWolfSilver



After the events of the fall formal Sunset is alone and most of the school against her. Will she accept her new friendships are real and will she realize that there is someone who wants to make her family?

  • ...
16
 993
 14,028

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 13: Terms

By the time Monday morning rolled around, Sunset felt a lot better about going back to school. She was finally able to kick the headache from her concussion; meaning she didn’t have to sit out of gym again, though she did enjoy the quiet of the library. She had finished her art project on Sunday so she was good to go. However, it wasn’t any of those things that made her feel at ease, it was the five girls that had promised to look out for her.

During their get together, they all got to know Sunset, and Sunset got to know each of the girls a little better as well. She learned that Rainbow Dash enjoyed Daring Do books as well, but Rainbow was way more of a fangirl than she was. Fluttershy was also a vegetarian and was really good at sewing. Pinkie Pie, well, is Pinkie Pie. Applejack was also pretty straightforward and so was Rarity but there were a lot of little tidbits Sunset found interesting to know.

The thing that got her was that all the things they were sharing; was in complete confidence. Sunset could easily take all that information and crush them with it but she couldn’t bear to bring herself to even entertain the idea. If she was being honest with herself, she had been incredibly lonely in the time she had been in this world and she was tired of it. Maybe accepting friendship was her way out.

As Sunset walked up to the school from the bus stop, she saw Rainbow, Pinkie and Fluttershy hanging out by the Canterlot High statue. Rainbow was kicking around a hacky-sack, Fluttershy was scribbling in her note book and Pinkie Pie seemed to be looking for someone, scanning the grounds of students arriving early with such a serious look on her face it was almost ridiculous. It was then that Pinkie’s gaze rested on Sunset.

The pink haired girl smiled and ran in her direction, “Sunset! I’ve scanned the perimeter for Gilda and Trixie,” her expression was serious before she gave a triumphant smirk, “The coast is clear.”

Sunset rolled her eyes but smiled at the gesture, “Thanks Pinkie, I appreciate it. Though I doubt they would be here, they’re suspended.”

“I told you.” Rainbow said as they reached the statue.

“Well you never know.” Fluttershy spoke, “Gilda doesn’t seem like she would listen to authority.”

“Well,” Sunset added, “She is transferring to Crystal Prep. I doubt she’d even want to come back here, even just to get even.”

“If she does, we’ve got your back now that you aren’t avoiding us.” Rainbow said, still kicking the sac around.

Sunset smiled and mumbled a quick ‘thanks’ as pinkie hopped up to the statue and continued her ‘look out’.

The fiery haired girl weighed her options carefully, What do I do now? Do I stay? Or do I continue going into the school? Would they think I’m avoiding them if I keep going?

Luckily, she didn’t have to fret over it for more than a moment because Fluttershy caught her attention.

“Hey, Sunset,” The quiet girl spoke, “Do you like animals?”

Sunset mentally thanked her and smiled, “Yeah, actually, I do.”

“You want to see some pictures of the animals we have at the shelter?” the girl held up her phone with its green case with three butterflies on the front.

Sunset nodded and sat next to the animal lover as she showed her the pictures, even explaining how some of them came to be at the shelter in the first place. It broke the former bully’s heart to hear the stories of abused animals, ones whose owners died or even as simple as strays being found on their last legs.

Eventually, Applejack and Rarity joined them and struck up conversations with Sunset. They were all feeling relieved that Sunset had loosened up significantly since their meeting on Saturday.

The six girls made their way into the school and to their lockers before class started.

***

Celestia watched Sunset walk to her first period class alone, having split apart from the other five as they had classes of their own to get to. Sunset held her books tightly to her chest, keeping cyan eyes trained to the ground.

She had returned to her office shortly after and tried to occupy her mind with the paperwork she had to do but sadly, it did little to help. Celestia was impatiently awaiting third period where she would have her conversation with Sunset.

It broke her heart to learn of Sunset’s living conditions but as Luna had pointed out to her, Sunset needed to tell her on her own accord. However, with that said, not only was her living situation depressing, it was also illegal, not to mention dangerous. That building had been abandoned since she was a teenager.

By the time Lunch rolled around, Celestia was impatient so, about ten minutes before the lunch period ended, she had the secretary call Sunset down to her office. Before she knew it, there was a small knock on her office door.

“Come in.” She said, now fully composed.

Sunset poked her head in, a nervous expression on her face, “You wanted to see me?”

“Yes, Sunset, have a seat.” Celestia ordered in her automatic Principal voice.

Relax Celestia, you acting like she’s in trouble. Celestia mentally kicked herself.

Sunset awkwardly sat in one of the chairs across from the large oak desk, now entirely composed, but Celestia could see that the girl was incredibly tense despite her effort to hide it.

“Relax, Sunset.” Celestia lowered her voice to a more soothing one, “You aren’t in trouble. I just wanted to talk.”

That did, in fact seem to get her to relax. She leaned back into the chair and instantly dropped her composed look, now looking at the woman with a calmer but still blank expression. Celestia smiled.

“So,” Sunset asked after a moment of silence, “What did you want to talk to me about?”

“I was just wondering how you were adjusting.” She asked, and immediately regretted her choice of words.

Sunset frowned, “Fine I guess. You know, besides most of the student body hating me.”

Celestia sighed deeply, “I’m sorry, that was a very poor choice of words. I was more talking about Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Applejack. I saw you girls in the courtyard this morning. They’ve also seemed to have stuck close to you since returning to classes when your suspension ended.”

Sunset smiled at this, “Yeah. I kind of feel bad for avoiding them most of the time.”

“But you six are fine now?” She questioned though very well knowing the answer.

The girl nodded, “Yeah, I think I’m going to give this ‘friendship’ thing a try.”

“That’s wonderful to hear.” Celestia smiled then opened her desk drawer and retrieved a folder, placing it in front of Sunset, “Go ahead, look inside.”

Sunset opened the file and quickly figured out that it was her student file; transcripts, contact information, grades, etc. It didn’t take long for her to realize something was missing.

“Where’s my record of misconduct?” she asked the Principal immediately after scanning the contents.

Celestia smiled at how fast she picked up on what was missing.

The Principal held up a stack of papers, “This is yours, Snips and Snails records, including this past suspension.”

“Why did you take them out?” Sunset asked, perplexed.

“Sunset, you have been given a bad hand and despite what you may think, Me, vice-principal Luna and your new friends see your potential.” Celestia explained, “When I first met you, I saw you for what you were, a bitter teenager with a bad attitude.” Sunset frowned. “But I also saw what was hidden, what you could be, I saw the compassion and sincerity deep inside you, clouded by all that ill placed ambition.” Celestia looked as Sunset stared at the floor, brows furrowed, “It took a lot but I can tell you’ve finally started to realize that hidden potential for yourself.”

“That doesn’t explain why you have the papers.” Sunset said, unsure of Celestia’s words.

“Like I said, you’ve been dealt a bad hand in the past but now you are trying to change your ways. I also understand most of what is on Snips and Snails records are things they’ve done under your instruction.” Celestia placed the three individual files in a row in front of Sunset, “The thing about these records is that they don’t acknowledge change or growth, they only see the negative and unfortunately, it follows you until the end of collage.”

“OK, I’m lost.” Sunset admitted.

“Do you really want to change, Sunset? Are you really trying to be a better you?” Celestia asked seriously.

Sunset’s expression turned to one of determination, “Yes, I really do. I was a horrible person and I don’t want to be her anymore. I don’t want to keep hurting people.”

Celestia reached under her desk and set her paper shredder on top, “Then I think you deserve a fresh start. In the eyes of the school at least. I’m not going to let your past mistakes ruin the bright future you have ahead of you. I’m also not going to let you carry the guilt of Snips and Snails’s past...transgressions.” She sighed, “Though I don’t think that will help them much.”

“Wait. Are you serious? You’re just willing to let all that go?” Sunset asked dumb founded, “Aren’t you going to get in trouble?”

Celestia shrugged, “No one ever said I couldn’t.”

Principal Celestia gestured for Sunset to shred the documents just as the door burst open, revealing the dark haired Vice-Principal.

“You’re actually going through with it?” Luna said excitedly with a smile that Sunset has never seen on the Vice-Principal. It was almost...childlike.

“Yes, I informed you that I was.” Celestia addressed her sister.

“Oh, I have to see this!” Luna closed the door and stood by the desk.

Sunset stared, confused.

Celestia sighed, “Vice-Principal Luna likes to break the rules.”

“Yes, Yes.” Luna waved off her sister, “Now shred them!”

Sunset chuckled a bit and picked up Snips’s document and turned on the shredder, then let the pages go. Next, she sent Snails’s and watched that go through as well. It felt as if the weight of a thousand moons was lifted off her shoulders.

She then picked up her own file. Sunset frowned and opened it up, looking through all her past deeds and mistakes. Unlike Snips and Snails, she shredded each page of hers individually. She remembered every single instance and watched them go through the shredder. Finally, the final page was from the fall formal. Of course, it didn’t say anything about a raging she-demon, Celestia had changed it to fireworks and nothing about destroying the school.

“Can I, uh keep this one?” Sunset asked.

“Yes, but may I ask why?” Celestia asked, exchanging confused looks with her sister.

Sunset took a deep breath, “Everything that I’ve done in my entire life had lead me to that single defining moment and ultimately, it showed me what I had become, what was in my heart. I hate myself for that.” The girl was shaking in anger, tears forming in her eyes, “I can’t let myself be pardoned from this because I don’t deserve to be.” She relaxed a little, “Not yet at least.”

“I understand.” Celestia nodded, “Keep it until you feel you need to.”

Sunset folded the paper up and tenderly put it in her bag as Celestia returned the paper shredder to its spot under her desk. Luna waved her goodbyes and left the office.

“There was another thing I would like to discuss with you.” Celestia said.

“OK, I’m listening.” Sunset said.

“There is the issue of your living situation.” Celestia started, having no intent on telling Sunset that she had found out her real living quarters.

Sunset froze but stayed silent.

“I am not an unfair woman but I don’t think a child should be living alone.” Celestia explained, “However, you are a special case and I understand why you do not wish for anyone to know of your residence.”

Sunset sighed in relief, “Thank you, I-”

“I’m not finished,” Celestia interrupted, “I have a few conditions. In case anything does happen with schooling or otherwise, I need a way of contacting you or vice versa. I understand that your friends all have your number and they would be happy to help if you need it, but you need an adult that can be contacted if the need should arise.”

Sunset stared in either awe or shock but she said nothing.

“Secondly,” the Principal continued, “I know I might be crossing some sort of line between the student-principal relationship in saying this but I believe counseling would be in your best interest.”

“I don’t need a counselor.” Sunset protested, “Besides what would I tell them? I couldn’t even remotely talk about my past! I know you, and Vice-Principal Luna know, along with the girls, but if the wrong people know I could be taken away by the government and have weird experiments done on me or I could be probed! Probed! I have no idea what that is but it doesn’t exactly sound like fun!”

At this point Sunset was in a full out panic so Celestia interjected, “Sunset, relax. I’ve thought of that. Now, I used to be a school counselor and I’m willing to make time in my schedule for this period every day if you need it.”

Sunset calmed down and thought on this. It’s not like she felt particularly uncomfortable talking to the woman, being her former mentor’s counterpart helped a little but she found this Celestia more compassionate and easier to talk to than her Celestia. Heck, she’s already had two heart-to-heart conversations with her in the last couple weeks.

Besides, being able to talk to someone might be nice. Sunset thought.

“Do you have a pen and a piece of paper?” asked Sunset.

Celestia set a pen and pad of sticky notes in front of Sunset who scribbled her cellphone number on it and handed them back to Celestia.

“Thank you.” Sunset said, running her fingers through her hair, “For actually caring about what happens to me.”

The principal smiled at her student, “I care about all my students, Sunset. You just happen to be the one who needs it most.”

After a few more minutes of talking, Sunset said a quick goodbye and left for the library as it was her day two spare.

Luna came into her sister’s office after watching Sunset leave, “So? How did it go?”

Celestia sighed and smiled, “She agreed to my terms.”

“Don’t go getting too attached.” Luna snickered, “That’s why Mom banned you from the shelter after you brought home that bird.”

“And Philomena lived longer than expected for an avian.” Celestia protested, “I took great care of her!”

Luna smirked, “That’s what I’m afraid of.”

PreviousChapters Next