• Published 29th Dec 2017
  • 6,420 Views, 135 Comments

One Bolt, Many Questions - Boltsinger



Crashing into a wall and meeting a Princess... Who would have thought that would lead to such a profound change in one pony's life?

  • ...
7
 135
 6,420

PreviousChapters Next
Spacey-shy

An excited squee came from the Ponyville train station as Fluttershy rose into the air above it. She turned around, beckoning with her foreleg as Boltsinger rose up to follow her. He was looking around the station, knowing that Twilight would be waiting for them, since he had made sure to send her a letter as soon as he could from Baltimare. The Princess in question soon rose up from the crowd, catching up to them.

“Welcome home!” She called, flying over to the stallion. “How was Baltimare?”

“It was nice!” He told her. “We helped a choir during a fundraiser. Now Baltimare’s ponies are building their own animal sanctuary!”

“Wow! Is that why Fluttershy is so excited?” Twilight wondered as the two picked up their pace towards the yellow mare.

“No, she’s more excited that I want to adopt a pet.” He explained. Twilight laughed as they flew. On the way, Boltsinger told the Alicorn about their trip to Baltimare, or at least what details stood out to him. He mentioned how they had sung with a choir, and made special note of how Fluttershy was able to power through a solo part in the song they performed, and how happy she was to have done so.

“That’s impressive! But I bet she was mostly able to do it because you gave her something to look forward to once you got back.” She added, pointing a foreleg forward. “You should catch up with her. She’s looking impatient.”

Fluttershy had turned around to face them, hovering in place as the other ponies caught up. She finally laid her eyes on Twilight and widened her smile. She began flying closer to the two, but stopped short as the stallion gave his special somepony a kiss on the cheek. She felt a strange kind of twisting in her chest at the sight. She didn’t know why it happened, since she’d seen him do this countless times before, but it felt different now. She brushed the thought away and continued, meeting Boltsinger halfway. She waved to Twilight, who waved in return and lingered behind.

“So, do you have an idea of what kind of pet you want?” she asked, turning to continue to her cottage.

“I haven’t quite figured it out yet.” he admitted. “But I have a few ideas. I know I want something that can get around easily and isn’t too big.”

“I can work with that!” she informed him, going in for a landing at her home. “We have quick little bunnies, spry little squirrels, slithery snakes, and sticky spiders!” She brought each of them over to him as he made his own landing.

“They’re all appealing, but not much in the way of vertical…” He said, looking closely at each of them. “Besides the spider, but I don’t want to accidentally step on the little lady.”

“I have lots of birds, if you’re interested in them!” She continued. She brought over a number of different birds, ranging from tiny hummingbirds to jays to a funny flamingo all the way to toucans, an eagle, and a falcon. “They’re really quite impressive! Some of them are even able to keep up with some of Ponyville’s best flyers!”

Boltsinger brought a hoof up to his muzzle, then shook his head. “They look amazing, but… I don’t think Owlowiscious would appreciate competition in the bird department.”

Fluttershy nodded. “I see… Well, what about a bat or a wasp?”

“I have an idea.” He interjected. “How about I look around and see which animal has the easiest time coming over to me.”

Fluttershy thought about it for a moment, then perked up. “I like the idea. That way, no matter what, you get a furry friend with an instant connection!” She flew to the side, all of the animals in the meadow gathering around the stallion.

Boltsinger began walking around, looking at all of the various animals. They all looked back at him, some with hopeful eyes, and some looking indifferent. He made his way under a nearby tree, where he heard a loud scream above him. He looked up, seeing a little brown and tan monkey swinging by his tail from a branch. He smiled at the little creature, getting some intrigued squeaks in return as the monkey dropped onto his back, reaching its little hands into his mane to try and groom him. Boltsinger laughed, petting the little guy’s head with his wing as he looked over to Fluttershy.

“Okay, I think I’ve found him.” He told her, moving his wing to show the mare the monkey he met. “What do you think?”

“Oh, a monkey!” She looked at them, seeing one of the happiest sights she had seen in a very long time. She gave a wide smile, running to their side and petting the monkey. “Are you happy, little one? You’re getting a new home!” She began walking towards the cottage, looking at Boltsinger on the way. “You’re going to need a few things to properly care for him. I can help you get something set up in the castle, but since it’s so roomy and tall in there, he’s going to have plenty of places to climb and exercise.” She went on with her explanation as they went inside, telling him what kind of foods monkeys like, and how to properly groom him. “So, what do you want to call him?”

Boltsinger looked at his new little friend, tilting his head as he pondered. “I’m thinking… Abu.” He finally said. “After the monkey sidekick in my favorite story from the Saddle-Arabian Nights.” Hearing the name, the monkey cried out excitedly, banging on his chest and lunging forward, hugging his new owner’s neck.

Fluttershy smiled, her cheeks becoming pink at the vision before her. “I think he likes it!”

The stallion petted the monkey with his wing some more, walking towards the door. “Wait until Twilight sees you!” He looked back at Fluttershy. “Thank you, Fluttershy. I’ll make sure he’s well taken care of!”

Fluttershy nodded, waving a foreleg as the orange pony stepped out, flaring his wings and taking off towards the castle. She lingered there, staring at the open door as Angel scurried up to her. The bunny opened his forelegs happily, expecting a hug or a pet or a greeting of some kind. Instead, Fluttershy simply kept staring, as if mesmerized by something. Angel looked at the doorway, then back at the pony, scrunching his face and twitching his nose in confusion. He hopped up onto her head, bending down to look her directly in the eyes from above. After a few seconds, she blinked, shaking her head and sitting down.

“Oh! Angel!” She started, bringing her hoof up to pet her bunny. “I’m sorry, I don’t know what came over me... “ Angel looked back out the door, then shrugged, moving over to his bowl and holding it up. “Are you hungry?” After seeing a firm nod from the bunny, she quickly got up and went about her business.


Back at the castle, Twilight was making her entrance. She was glad that Boltsinger and Fluttershy had made it home alright, but she also knew that she had some preparations to make. Boltsinger was set to bring a pet home, so she wanted to make sure everything was set for the new companion.

Less than a minute from when she had arrived, the door opened again. Boltsinger walked in, beaming. “I have returned!” He bellowed. Twilight jumped, turning around to see the stallion snickering to himself as he approached.

“I see that.” She said, trotting over. “So, did you find a good pet?”

Boltsinger nodded, turning to the side to show the monkey on his back. “His name is Abu!” He told her as the simian waved.

“Like in the Saddle-Arabian story?” Twilight inquired.

“Exactly.” He confirmed. The monkey jumped from his back and over to Twilight, wrapping his tail around her horn and swinging onto her back. “He likes to ride, apparently.”

The Princess giggled, lifting the monkey with her magic and floating him back over to her owner. “So, I take it Fluttershy was happy with your choice?”

“She was ecstatic. But, actually, she’s been that happy since Baltimare.” He said, holding up his tail for his new friend to hang from. “In fact, if she were any more bubbly, I’d think she was Pinkie with wings!” He made a propeller motion with his tail, Abu hanging from it as he was swung around.

They went further into the castle, talking about all the possible options for places for the monkey to sleep, play, and where they could put his food. They took the small simian through a full tour of the castle, getting him acquainted with Spike, Starlight, and Twilight’s pet, Owlowiscious. The owl hooted a few times, taking to the air and flying up on top of one of the pillars in the hallway, the monkey climbing up and joining him. Abu would often sift through Owlowiscious’ feathers, pulling out anything that might discomfort the bird, who gave a satisfied hoot.

“So, how is the little monkey adjusting to his new home?” Fluttershy’s voice asked from behind. Twilight and Boltsinger jumped into the air with a yelp. They turned their attention to the floor, where Fluttershy was standing. “Oh! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to scare you…” She shrank into herself as the other two ponies descended next to her.

“It’s alright.” Twilight told her. “We just weren’t expecting you.”

Boltsinger nodded, then flew up next to the animals atop the pillar. “So far, my little sidekick here seems right at home. But we’re still figuring out a few things for him.” He held out a foreleg, the little monkey crawling out onto it and swinging from the limb. He moved his foreleg back and forth, letting the simian swing higher and higher, eventually jumping off of him as he spun in the air, extending his tail as the monkey grabbed on, swinging more. He moved his tail to hang Abu over his back, where he dropped himself down and let out a triumphant ‘ook’ sound, banging on his chest.

Fluttershy let out a soft cheer, stomping her hooves in applause at the display. “That was wonderful!” She exclaimed. “I was a little worried for a second when he was in the air, but it looked like he had fun!”

Boltsinger landed in front of them, taking a bow. “So, what brings you over?” He asked her.

“Just wanted to check on the new addition to your family.” She replied, scratching Abu’s chin with her hoof.

“Well, I’m gonna go get him accustom to the library.” He began, turning to go down the hallway. “I feel like he’d love climbing around in there!” He waved a wing and cantered off, his monkey sidekick taking a secure position on his back.

Fluttershy nodded as she watched the pony leave, sitting on the floor with her gaze transfixed on the spot he had stood in. Twilight stepped up to her Pegasus friend, sitting beside her.

“Looks like they’re both pretty happy, huh?” Twilight started

“Yeah…” Fluttershy blankly responded, still sounding distracted.

Twilight looked at the mare, tilting her head. “Fluttershy?” She called out. “Hey, Fluttershy!” She waved one of her forelegs in front of her friend’s face. No response. “FLUTTERSHY!” She repeated, nudging the Pegasus with her wing.

Fluttershy blinked, shaking her head and looking at the concerned Princess. “What? What’s wrong?”

“Are you alright?” Twilight inquired. “You were staring into space.”

Fluttershy raised a hoof to her muzzle as a shade of bright pink appeared on her cheeks. “I’m fine. I just have some things on my mind.” She stated, standing up.

“Okay, then. Would you like some tea?” The Princess offered, following suit. “I’d love to hear your side of what happened in Baltimare. Boltsinger’s perspective has some… memory gaps, thanks to what happens to his mind when he’s working.”

“That sounds lovely.” The Pegasus replied. They made their way to the dining room, where Spike was sitting at the table with a comic book in his claws. Once the tea was ready and poured, Fluttershy went into her story, telling her about each thing that happened in great detail, while emphasizing how kind and supportive Boltsinger had been to her the whole time, from his humming in flight to calm her down, to catching her when she was pulled back by the lightning that held sway over him, all the way to his sharing a secret for performance, which led to her being able to confidently perform a solo in front of a crowd. “I mean, I knew he was a nice pony, but I never knew the extent of it!” She let out a small sigh as she looked into her teacup. “You’re really lucky to have somepony like him…”

Spike shot Fluttershy a knowing look, letting a smirk onto his face as the mare blushed again. “Sounds like your opinion of him has really improved.” He said, closing up his comic and getting up from the table. “You sure you were only interested in getting him a pet when you were coming home?”

“Spike! That’s enough!” Twilight started in a commanding tone. “She’s had a trying couple of days, and she doesn’t need you teasing her about it!”

The baby dragon shrugged, tucking his comic under his arm and making for the exit. “Whatever you say…”

“Don’t listen to him.” Twilight suggested. “He doesn’t know what he’s talking about.”

“Of course…” Fluttershy agreed, her gaze unfaltered by the dragon’s comments.

Twilight looked closely at the yellow mare, wondering what all was going on. “Are you sure you’re okay? You’ve been staring at random things a lot.”

Fluttershy looked up from her cup. “What? Oh, yes. I’m sure that I’m fine.” She told her, finishing her tea. “Thank you for the tea. Gotta go! Bye!” She put her cup down, nodding to her friend and galloped away, leaving the Princess befuddled.


Days later, Rarity sat in the waiting room at the Ponyville Day Spa, looking at her pocket watch. It had been a while since she and Fluttershy had a relaxing spa day together, and she was looking forward to hearing all about her week. She looked at the door with anticipation as it opened, the Pegasus in question walking in.

“Fluttershy, darling! Finally!” She cried out, running to her friend’s side. She turned to the proprietors, raising a foreleg. “The usual, please!” In what felt like an instant, they were in the steam room, Rarity scooting closer to her. “So, how have you been this week?”

“Well, I went with Boltsinger on one of his flights not long ago.” Rarity’s eyes lit up, leaning close with the biggest grin that she could muster. Fluttershy once again told about her adventure with their mutual friend, sparing no details.

“I can’t believe you performed a solo in public, darling!” Rarity exclaimed, the two moving to their next treatment. “How did you feel?”

“I didn’t think about the performance.” Fluttershy explained. “I wanted to get home to introduce Boltsinger to his newest friend! And he chose an adorable little monkey!”

Rarity’s face twisted a bit at the thought of a monkey for a pet. “A monkey? Sounds a bit… uncouth, to me.”

“The two of them got along so well.” She thought back on the sight of her friend and his new pet, smiling warmly and looking up at the ceiling.

After a few moments, Rarity looked over at her again. “Darling, what’s on your mind?”

Fluttershy snapped out of her daze, looking back at the Unicorn. “Huh? What do you mean?”

“You look like you’ve been extremely deep in thought.” Rarity told her. “Is there something bothering you?”

“Everypony has been asking me something like that lately.” Fluttershy explained. “I have been feeling a teensey bit strange ever since we got back from Baltimare, though.”

The two ponies moved onto their next treatment. “What do you mean, dear?” Rarity asked, taking Fluttershy’s hoof in her own. “Can you describe this ‘strange feeling’ to me?”

“Well, I feel… different… when I think of Boltsinger, and when I see him.” the Pegasus continued. “I don’t know how to explain the feeling. Whenever I think of him, or when I see him, ponies have told me that I’m staring into space.”

“Like you were just now?” the Unicorn deadpanned.

“Um… Yes.” Fluttershy admitted, her cheeks flushing.

Rarity put on a concerned look, getting an idea of what might be going on in her friend’s mind. “So, what exactly are you thinking of when you’re thinking about him?”

Fluttershy smiled, spreading her wings. “Well, I already knew that he was nice, but the kind of support he showed me in Baltimare was incredible! Since then, I guess I’ve seen him in a new light.”

At the next treatment in the hot tub, Rarity placed a hoof on Fluttershy’s shoulder. “Darling, it sounds to me like you’ve come to like Boltsinger.”

“Well, of course I like him. He’s my friend!” Fluttershy stated with a confident nod.

“Nonono, dear, that’s not what I mean.” the fashionista corrected. “I mean that you like like him. Like, more than just normal. More than just a friend.”

Fluttershy reared back at the statement, raising a hoof in front of her. “What? No! I can’t possibly feel that way… He’s… He’s with Twilight! It would be wrong to… to…”

“To have a crush on him?” Rarity finished. Fluttershy’s head drooped, feeling the gravity of Rarity’s words. Her eyes grew misty as she looked over at Rarity, who pulled her close and started patting her back. “There there, dear. I know just what it’s like to have feelings for a pony who likes somepony else… But it’s not wrong to want something for yourself.”

Fluttershy raised her head, looking Rarity in the eye. “How did you deal with it?” the emotional mare asked.

“In my case, it was a silly little crush.” Rarity elaborated. “I’m not sure any advice I could offer would help.” She put a hoof on her cheek. “But you need to confront these feelings of yours, or you’ll never be able to move past them, for good or ill.”

Fluttershy took a deep breath, calming herself. “You’re right… I’ve got to sort all of this out so that I can move on…” She gave Rarity a weak smile. “Thanks, Rarity. You’re a true friend!”

“Now, let’s relax in peace, shall we?” Rarity suggested. Fluttershy laughed and nodded as the Unicorn raised a hoof. “One more round of the usual, please!”

Author's Note:

Yes. Yes I have gone there, and I don't know exactly how I feel about it. But when I get hints from the characters, I follow them. Fluttershy had been hinting this at me for a LONG time.
On a side note, the monkey is, of course, named after the character of the same name in the Disney movie, Aladdin. As well as named after my stuffed monkey of the same name that I've had for the past 29 years.

PreviousChapters Next