• Published 29th Dec 2017
  • 6,464 Views, 135 Comments

One Bolt, Many Questions - Boltsinger



Crashing into a wall and meeting a Princess... Who would have thought that would lead to such a profound change in one pony's life?

  • ...
7
 135
 6,464

Chapters Next
Perplexing Pegasus

Equestria was a land of polarization. There was great evil that walked the land. Changeling hives feeding on love, ancient kings whose shadows loomed even a thousand years later, and most recently, a Pony of Shadows that had threatened the land.

And yet, ponies were generally friendly. They went about their day without a care in the world, living a peaceful life until the day something threatened them. Perhaps that was why even the Royal Guard were hardly paying attention when a a bright orange streak featuring a blue lightning bolt flew by them, in what appeared to be an instant. Several seconds after, a voice sounded.

“OUT OF THE WAY!!!” It exclaimed, louder than the Pegasi thought possible as they looked on at the flying streak flew on, coming to a sudden stop. A loud crashing sound came from the wall above the balcony, causing the Alicorn that was going through the door to jump. She turned around, quickly, gasping at what she saw.

There, on the balcony, lay a medium sized Pegasus stallion. He groaned in pain from his landing as he quickly passed out. His body, wings, and hooves were all a bright orange, with a wind-blown blue mane and tail that bore streaks of what could only be described as “electric” blue erratically strewn throughout. The Cutie Mark emblazoned on his flank showed a microphone, but instead of the standard cord that comes from the end of the device, there was a streak of lightning, extending out and wrapping around the length of the microphone in the same electric blue found in the stallion's mane. His eyes were closed, so the color they bore remained a mystery to the Princess, but she had much more pressing concerns as she hurried to his side, lifting him carefully with the magic of her now-glowing horn. She carried him over to her bed and laid him there, examining him as closely as was comfortable for her so as to make certain he was alive.

Hours later, with a loud groan, the stallion woke up, opening his eyes to reveal a purple shade to them. He looked out at his surroundings, seeing a room extremely different from what he was used to, and sighed.

“So, I guess somepony found me right away, this time. But where in Celestia's name am I?” He looked down at his lap, seeing the dark blankets that covered him, and the flowing, starry mane sprawled out on the bed before him. “Wait... That mane... There's only one pony it can....” His eyes grew wide as he turned his head ever-so-slightly to the right, seeing the sleeping form of Princess Luna resting her head on the bed. “Oh! Oooooohhh...” His expression shifted from surprised to confused as he slowly shifted under the blankets, sliding out from under the covers as discreetly as he could. As his tail slid out, it moved swiftly by the Princess' nose, causing her to open her eyes, inhale rapidly, and sneeze.

“Oh... Excuse me...” She said, sheepishly rubbing her foreleg against her nose as her eyes opened normally. Her face brightened up the moment she saw the stallion moving around. “Ah! You are awake! Wonderful!” She pulled him in for a hug, where his heart began to race.

Aaaaaaaand now she's hugging me... Why is a Princess hugging me? What did I do to deserve this? WHY IS A PRINCESS EMBRACING ME!?! His nerves shot, he tensed up and simply laughed nervously. “Um... Excuse me... uh... Princess Luna?”

“Yes?” She replied, refusing to let go.

“I-If I may be so bold as to ask... Why are you hugging me?” He queried.

“Oh! Right...” Luna slowly let the Pegasus loose from her embrace. “I apologize. I was just so happy that you were all right that I could not stop myself from... well, you know.”

“I see... So, second question...” He stated, calming down a bit. “Why are we in your chambers?”

Luna exhaled softly as she regained her composure. “Well, I was in a panic when I heard you crash and all I saw was you, tettering upon the edge of consciousness. Thus, I brought you in here that you might rest and recover.”

“Ah... Well, th-thank you very much, Princess,.” He said, with a bow. “But... I think I've used up far more than enough of your time, I'll head out now...” The stallion got out of the bed, beginning to canter over to the balcony. Before he could step out the door proper, he found himself frozen in place with a blue magical field surrounding him. “Or I could stay here! that works.”

“So, young pony, might I ask you some questions as well?” Luna asked, her horn giving off the telltale glow of magic.

“O-o-of course! Yes!” He nervously laughed, hoping the Princess would let him down.

“First,” the Princess asked as she used her telekinetic power to move her guest closer. “Your name?”

“My name is Boltsinger,-” He responded, trying as best he could to avert his gaze. “Also, maybe, could you please put me down?”

“If you will not fly away, yes.” With that, Luna released her hold on the stallion, letting him walk up to her and sit down.

“Well, I-I really don't have any reason to leave, when I really think about it...” Boltsinger said as he scratched the back of his head with his right wing.

“Good. So, what, exactly, brought you here?” Luna inquired. “It seems you were moving quite swiftly considering the impact.”

“Well, that's... kind of an interesting story. It sorta goes along with how I got my Cutie Mark,” he sheepishly told her.

“Oh?” Luna began. “Do tell, please.”

Boltsinger gave another nervous laugh. “O-okay... Um... Where do I start? So... I'm from Vanhoover, and... Well, I've always had a strong voice, like... I can project across a room, but then... Well, a storm hit. Like, we'd had a really long drought for a long time. Grand Pear's farm was just about to lose all of its trees! So, Cloudsdale sent some support so that my parents could start a big enough rainstorm.”

He stood up, walked over to the balcony, where Luna followed. “And when I say 'big enough', I mean huge, and the clouds did a lot more than expected. I could have sworn they started swirling like a tornado, but… well, bigger! There was lightning coming down, and there were hailstones flying all over the place...”

“Oh my,” Luna said, features softening at the story. “It sounds like a trying ordeal, indeed.”

Boltsinger nodded. “The weather team was doing their best to get a handle on the situation, and my family flew up to coordinate. I was still on the ground, since I wasn't a very strong flyer yet. But, I could see what was going on.”

“You must have been worried.”

Boltsinger winced at the memory. “There was a really big hailstone headed their way, and I just... cried out! But... they... couldn't hear me, and then the thing was getting closer, and then I just... Well, I flapped my wings, hard. When I did that, I tried calling out again, and then... well... The wind that my wings created pushed through the storm, and somehow carried my voice all the way to them.

They were able to dodge, and I was just... kinda... baffled. I remember thinking to myself... If my voice can reach out and help other ponies, like that, or in any other way, I would be there. Then, my flank started glowing. My cutie mark was starting to appear, and my wings were tingling a lot... Then... I felt some kind of shock, and I passed out.”

“Oh my... It sounds as though you were struck by lightning...” Luna added.

“I'm pretty sure that's what it was...” Boltsinger confirmed. “When I came to, the storm was cleared, but... well, I didn't really have much time to see where my family went... I got that tingly feeling in my wings again, and then... Well, I took off! I didn't really have much control over it. I just kept flying, and I didn't stop for... well... days.”

“And that is how you got here?” The Princess wondered.

“That was years ago. It's how I learned that I can't always control my wings.” Boltsinger corrected.

“How many times has this occurred since you got your Cutie Mark?”

“I lost count a long time ago.” Boltsinger shrugged, as if brushing off the exact details. “It's been happening almost as long as I can remember. But, everywhere I go, there's some way my talent can help somepony else, so... I guess that counts as a win.”

“Well, then,” Princess Luna said, standing up and moving back into the room. “I have an idea that might help.”

“Okay, what's that?” the stallion replied.

“You will find out tomorrow,.” Luna started, spreading her wings regally. “For today, you will stay here, and sleep in one of the guest rooms. I will confer what you have told me to my sister. Hopefully, my intuition leads to results, and we will be able to introduce you to somepony who can make sense of your situation.”

“Really?” Boltsinger asked.

“Yes.” Luna answered, rather matter-of-factually.

“I'm staying... here?”

“Yes.”

“But you're a Princess...”

“Yes.”

“And I'm a normal Pegasus.”

“I'm aware.”

Boltsinger had a puzzled look on his face as he pawed the floor with his hoof. “But... why?”

Luna's face began to mirror that of the Pegasus in the room with her. “What do you mean?”

“What I mean is...” he began, closing his eyes and sighing. “Why would you even concern yourself with somepony like me? I'm just a normal guy whose wings don't even work right...”

Luna could see on his face that there was a deeper sadness in him, buried with the details he neglected to reveal. She softly smiled as she sat down next to Boltsinger, taking one of her wings and placing it on his back. “It is truly a simple thing. I am a Princess, and you are a pony in need. A citizen of Equestria! Now that I know of your problems, I cannot simply ignore them. I must do what I can. Not only is it my duty, but my honor, as well.”

“Well... Thank you... I hope I'm worth it...” Boltsinger replied, comforted by the Princess' words. Luna got up, heading over to the door. Boltsinger quickly followed suit. This was going to be a very... interesting day.

Author's Note:

Well, it begins. There's a good chance it's gonna have some edits done to it, as some proofreading is most definitely in order, but here is the first chapter of many to come.

EDIT: The opening has received an improvement thanks to a good friend, Krickis! It's wonderful to have other writers to provide feedback, isn't it?

Chapters Next