• Published 27th Dec 2017
  • 2,403 Views, 103 Comments

Earth-Chan in Equestria - zack black



The world turned filly. Could you imagine how cold and bitter she must be, having been diseased for all those millennia, just for it all to end in a giant fireball of torture.... Thankfully, she's actually quite refreshed

  • ...
23
 103
 2,403

Spring: Cultured Critters

Author's Note:

Still wondering how this will play out? Cool. Glad to grab and/or keep your attention. You might be wondering what took me so long. Answer being something something insert excuse here. Listen, these excuses are weird. I don't even know how well others receive them, but when I read an excuse like this I just kind of roll my eyes and get back to reading. So excuse me if I don't really understand the point. If it urks people don't be afraid to to voice your opinions. I'm actually curious how people these days receive hiatuses or slow uploads. What is the optimal upload schedule for you? What do you normally prefer? I'm not going to try and meet your standards, but I'm certainly willing to have a conversation about them. ^.^

There wasn't a lot of expectation heading towards this next house, if you could call it a house to begin with. The greenery had fully claimed the thatching, making a pelt of natural grass improvise as a makeshift roof. This was homely to her, but Earth-Chan hadn't even really caught the name of the pony who lived here. 'Butterfly' was it? This pony was just a suggestion. That was it. A face that had not been fully sketched. There was no personality to go on. There was just curiosity manifested in the form of a quickened pace, but that was about it. Earth-Chan did her best to keep up with Pinkie Pie, but it was challenging. They'd done so much running. SHE had done so much running. Exhaustion had reached it's peak a couple runs ago and now the poor pony was just about on her last few fumes. The only thing keeping her going was that spring time warmth

The shimmer and glam of sunshine on her blue coat was wonderful. No matter how over heated she might get, there was something equally reviving about such bright warmth beaming down on her back. As they approached the cottage, Earth-Chan caught sight of a blue pegasi with a very explosive mane hovering above, suspended mid-air by the perpetuated flap of her quick wings. The humming bird pony was circling around and conversing with another grounded pegasi. This one was a yellow butter pony with a pink, sleek avalanche of stylized hair disguised as a regular horse mane. These manes were beautiful, with matching tails to boot. She liked the color pallet before her eyes. Her eyes tried to wonder though, and the poor pony had to keep herself from staring at those matching tails. She was suppose to blend in. Who cares what that jar of applesauce thinks! She's not weird! She's not hurting anypony!

Wrinkling her snout, Earth-Chan frowned and looked off to the side as she mumbled. "It's a compliment anyway, so who cares?"

The silly mare lost herself again, trapped in a self constructed echo chamber of excuses as she reasoned the pros and cons of tail sniffing.

"Heya girls! Whatcha dooooooin'~" Pinkie greeted her friends while helping Earth-Chan stop with a block of her hoof.

Earth-Chan walked in place for a couple seconds, unwilling to be halted, yet gaining no ground at all. Her hooves had started to dig into the ground before she realized she'd been acting a fool. With a cough she sat down and gave a sheepish smile. Both pegasi had turned to say hi to Pinkie only to end up watching as Earth-Chan embarrassed herself.

The pony filled to the brim with rainbows seemed to think it was funny. Even 'Butterfly' was hiding her own smirk with a hoof. It was such a weird thing to be laughed at for... was she taking this too seriously though? Wait, were they laughing about the walking gag or did they know she was staring at their tails?! Was she being weird?!!

Earth-Chan's cheeks lit up bright as eyes fell on her. She had no idea what was being thought. How hard were they judging her?! It was too much to think about and they just kept staring!

Soft merps escaped the pony, eliciting even more stares. Worried ones, but stares all the same. The ponies around her frowned at her reaction, no one understand the true extent of the pony's discomfort.

Opting to move on from the silence that had begun to form, the winged color spectrum picked up the conversation with Pinkie, leaving the weirdo pony for later it seemed. "Oh, heya Pinks. I'm here helping Fluttershy. I don't know if you heard it, but this huge explosion happened and scared all her animals."

"Oh trust me, I know about the explosion. Let me tell you~ Still, I thought your first instinct would be to go check out the scene. Gauge it's awesomeness."

"Well yeah. But, you know... If I did that... who'd help Flutters?" Rainbow motioned to her fellow pegasus as if she were a well placed token excuse, but the tinge in her voice told a lot. There was care and compassion in the way she spoke about helping her friend.

'Flutters' looked to her friend and gave an appreciative, warm smile before immediately contrasting herself with a sudden frown as concern scrawled across her face. "W-What was that explosion though, Pinkie? It was... loud."

"Oh yeah, you said you knew. What's happening?" The multi hued horse kept lower to the ground as she talked with her friend, acting like she was constantly about to land, but never quite committing to that decision.

Pinkie smirked a bit and looked over to Earth-Chan. The poor girl was still recovering from her own weird mannerisms and was in no condition to be convincing.

"Weeeeell, uuuugh, lets say Applejack had some... tree troubles." She nudged Earth-Chan, cuing her in that she was at a loss for what to say. Still wearing her big bright grin, she continued to lightly elbow the pony until she spoke up.

"Y-Yeah... she um. She had a tree relocated." Earth-Chan mentally face-palmed as she chastised herself for giving such an absurd answer.

"R-Relocated?" Of course she'd have to follow up with something, that was expected. Winging it was going to have to be the one and only contingency plan.

"Yeah, not far...."

"What does that have to do with an explosion?" That rainbow was destroying her concentration!

Earth-Chan scuffled at the ground with her hoof as she thought long an hard. References. Anything! Something to draw on. She had been conscience for multiple millennium, held contact with one of the most intelligent creatures ever created on her surface, and observed their society for six thousand years. How do you explain exploding trees!!!!

"Baaaaaaah...cccccccc..."

It was on the tip of her tongue, she just had to force it out. This was common. This occurred rapidly and was a disaster for orchards and forests alike. It had a chance of tainting produce which would be devastating for an apple farmer, quality was everything, which meant there was cause for quick and decisive action. It would be understandable if somepony became frantic for a solution, maybe an explosion perhaps? But, what was the word! She knew it existed, she was the dawn of it's creation! The humans became hyper aware of it's existence in the mid eighteen hundreds(Their numbers, not hers). B-B-Buuuuuuh.

"Bacteria! Oh my gosh, haaaa! It's tree bacteria! Thank the universe!!" Stomping her hooves she jigged a subtle jig as her memory saved her credibility for the first time ever! Hazzah!

"Oh my... that sounds serious..."

Earth-Chan stopped her celebration short and returned to a more sober expression. "Super serious. It's like a disease that eats away at a tree's life force. It drains them of nutrients and stuff. Messes with the leaves so it can't get sunlight."

"Wow, that's horrible... how's AJ holding up?" Rainbow fluttered down and landed next to her yellow friend, suddenly far more invested in the weight of the conversation.

Wow was right, the fact that she could recall any of that was a blessing. She had always paid attention to the essence of thought as the humans poured their minds into figuring out how Earth-Chan worked. She'd always been so happy to have them be so curious about her, she couldn't help but listen in on the thoughts and sounds of scientific discovery as it glorified each and every strand of her natural occurrences. It had been one of the more significant leaps in connecting with each other. Earth-Chan treasured the fact that she had memories built by humans stored in her mind. It made it feel like they were with her, helping her with her struggles bit by bit.

Left to her own treasured memories, Earth-Chan had been opted out of the conversation yet again as both girls turned to Pinkie for answers.

"Well, she could be better. Maybe overreacted a bit, but I think she got a hold of herself."

"So, that explosion was Applejack blowing up one of her infected trees?"

"Yeeeeah, I think that's what Earthy was getting at. I wouldn't say she did it herself though...."

"She hired somepony else to blow up one of her trees?"

"Earthy?" Rainbow

"Yes! Hi!! I'm Earthy... err, Earth-Chan. Nice to meet you both!" Earth-Chan bailed as fast as she possibly could from the rest of that questioning. Questions here, questions back there, questions from start to finish. She had plenty of questions herself. When did it get to be her turn?

Both pegasi noticed the lack of introductions and winced, both back pedaling heavily so that they could try and be more polite.

"I'm Rainbow Dash, fastest flier in Equestria." The pony held her head high after delivering her title. Earth-Chan had nothing to base that on, so merely took her at her word. Frankly, anything deviating from explosions was preferable at this point.

"And I'm Fluttershy." 'Flutter Butter' quickly chirped in after Rainbow.

Earth-Chan felt the dawn of realization hit her as she heard Fluttershy's name. That's what Pinkie had said. She was Fluttershy! This was her cottage! They were surrounded by HER animals!

Realization struck twice today as the blue mare began to whiplash back and forth, finally acknowledging the fact that they were being closed in by creatures of all sorts.

"Ummmm..." Looking to Pinkie Pie she could get nothing but a shrug from the baker, as if this was some kind of inevitability.

"Oh ho, don't worry. You don't have to feel anxious around my critters." Fluttershy assured, trying her best to dash Earth-Chan's uncomfortable gaze with a winning smile. She was a convincing pony brimming with confidence, something about the animals seemed to reinvigorate Fluttershy changing her mannerisms with their comforting presence. Something about that co-dependence spoke to Earth-Chan. She really liked this butter Pegasus.

That said, this situation was getting a little worrying.

"Yeah, but um... F-Fluttershy? Why are they staring?"

Without looking to her gathered critters, the butter pony waved a dismissive hoof at her question and shook her head. "Oh, I know how it must feel, really I do, but they're only taking a quick glance. It's an innate curiosity that a couple sniffs in your general direction should cure. I think you should just give them a couple seconds to get use to your scent."

"Uh.... Flutters?"

Earth-Chan let out a little eep as she took a tentative step back.

The corners of Fluttershy's reassuring smile dipped into a curious frown as she finally turned to see what the commotion was. Her own gasp left the ponies around her feeling suddenly very tense.

"Oh my... t-this isn't normal.... E-Everypony? Can you hear me?" The pony reached a hoof out and waved it in front of the face of a snow white bunny that huddled close to her. "A-Angel?"

Nothing, none were responding to Fluttershy's voice. None even acknowledged her, instead favoring to stare. They stared intensely at Earth-Chan, their eyes wide and wonder struck. Their expressions looking both lost and curious as their irises pulsed with emotion. It was unclear what the thoughts were behind those fuzzy faces, but it was clear that they were intent.... on getting closer.

As a group each pet, both big and small, took a collective step towards the blue pony. The sounds of all paws hitting the dirt at once had a very intimidating dull thump to it that made everypony present flinch. Earth-Chan quickly followed up with another step back in response.

"Ooof, well girls it was fun catching up, but if you'd look at that, it's getting late! Me and Earthy here need to get back to Sugar Cube Corner for some... cakes. Hehe, so, we'll just be on our way~" The pink pony quickly grabbed a hold of Earth-Chan and hoisted her into a very awkward hold, gripping her by the withers and dragging her along as if she were unconscious. The extra weight wasn't working and they were immediately cut off from town by a very big bear.

"Yipe..."

"No No, don't worry. He's a friendly bear!"

"Fluttershy, now isn't the time for excuses, this is getting out of hoof quick!" Rainbow shot back at Flutters, then flapping up off the ground the rainbow mass blurred in motion as she sped towards the other pairing, cutting in between them and the bear. All in a split second she was puffing out her chest and glaring the bear in the face. "Hey, back up, Bub!!"

The bear didn't even register her existence, though he seemed to acknowledge that was something was obstructing his view of what he desired. There was a brief growl of warning before the bear began to rear back his paw. Nothing was going to stand in the way. He was going to get the blue pony.... and then.... and then who knows what.

Rainbow saw the strike coming. She was slow on the realization, but quick on the reaction. With a mighty flap of her well trained wings she was able to waft up a little distance between her and the swipe. The animal's claws coming too close for comfort.

"Woah, that... that..." Rainbow frowned as it dawned on her that she was meant to bleed with that hit. This bear had gotten cut throat far too quickly for her liking. It was so unexpected given the swipe itself was so dismissive. The power and claw behind it was unmistakable though. If she had taken even a little of that attack she would have been hospitalized.

"...I'm about to make you regret missing, big guy." The pony readied herself mid flight, eyes lowering into a heated squint. A cocky grin spread across her lips. An aura of confidence began to emit from the battle ready pony. She knew how to take on a power hitter like this. Her speed would make quick work of this big fuzz ball.

She was prepared to go all out when a sudden voice finally caught up to her, just in the nick of time. "Rainbow! Don't... I mean, just let me talk to him..."

Fluttershy walked past all three ponies and cut in front of Rainbow Dash from her own position on the ground. Flaring out her wings, the butter pony entered what could only be described as her element as she looked into the hazed eyes of her bear friend and stared. And stared. And stared.

Clearing her throat, she intensified her gaze as if trying to burn a hole in his face with concentration alone.

The couldn't be sizing each other up, it was taking too long. All the same the bear seemed glued to his spot for the time being.

"I don't get it, do we run or help her?" Earth-Chan felt unsure how much help she'd be, but if she could send a tree flying... yeaaah, something told her that would kill it. She decided to opt out of power kicking the bear. Still, with that option nixed, what help was she?

"No, don't worry. I think she's got him locked up with The Stare... We should be okay." Rainbow let out a sigh of relief as she swooped down to the ground. "Good, I was not a fan of kicking his butt. Guy makes great tea."

"No, Rainbow, he's barely even focused on me. I don't know how much my stare is actually affecting him!" Fluttershy was worried if her voice was anything to go by. Heck, she sounded quite struggled, it was a wonder how much energy actually went into whatever stare magic she was using.

Even as the four of them focused on the bear, smaller creatures were starting to creep up from behind. It had gone unnoticed until a single squirrel made the daring jump and mounted the back of the poor blue earth pony. Still jumpy from the threat of the bear, Earth-Chan let out a shrill cry before swatting her tail at the intruder. She had a lot more swing in that appendage than she though as she batted the offending squirrel off her back.

Twirling around she faced where her attacker had come from and was shocked by the sheer number of critters looking back at her. All of them had their creepy gazes transfixed on her, never blinking, inching closer. When she saw that a few more were going prone, ready to pounce she let out a call.

Pinkie and Rainbow heard the commotion and were already turning to look her way when the first huge volley of little critters pounced. None were fast enough to move in time. Before any could as much as blink Earth-Chan was consumed by fuzzy critters. Each creature immediately began to cling sharply to their target, pinning her with claws so as to keep themselves in place. Earth-Chan let out a very loud scream as she was suddenly treated to the sensation of a hundred small prickly needles piercing her skin. In turn the creatures began to retract some of their claws and instead opt to hug the now pain riddled pony. Still, with the damage already done Earth-Chan was left a panicked mess. She tried to waggle the creatures off, but that in turn made them cling again, giving her new prickles, which in turn made her waggle more. The cycle was obvious, but Earth-Chan couldn't see the solution, so blinded by the pain she could barely think straight.

It was a very sudden surprise when she suddenly felt hooves embrace her, arms brushing around her body and quickly ridding her of a few prickles. Still, there were plenty clung tight. Some that didn't want to let go. Some that left quite the marks when brushed at. These animals were laying claim of her body. They were dug in nice and tight. They were here to stay.

As painful as this was, she almost wanted to cry at the sad memories this situation brought back. The resemblance was unmistakable... That and the searing pain. That was a good tearjerker.

As much as she appreciated the decrease in prickles, this treatment wasn't helping entirely. Her mind hazed once more as her body pulsed with signals, all telling her to run.

She was tired though.

Run!

It hurt to run.

It hurts not running, so run!

Where can she go? There's a bear.

RUN!!!!

Pulling away from the collective help of both Pinkie and Rainbow, she began running. Her path was covered with critters, all who began taking the opportunity given to try and latch on to the fleeing equine. She was able to bob and weave by the bigger ones , but more little critters latched on. More prickles piercing her, breaking just enough skin to hurt. More than enough reason to keep on running.

Once she cleared the mob of animals she was able to straighten out her path. She picked up speed, no energy left in her body yet speeding along with the power of adrenaline. The critters held tight as their makeshift ride became rugged and hazardous. Some were to small and weak to keep latched on and fell to the wayside, left in the dust. Still, others persisted, causing the pony to keep up her stride, terrified of what was behind her. She didn't have to look. She didn't have to guess. She knew.

She was being chased.

That was scary, that was familiar. That was annoying. The pain was getting worse. It was starting to weigh her down. She was going to slow down soon. That was scary too.

"There she is!!! Everypony, I found her!!!"

Earth-Chan's eyes went wide as she realized she'd gone the most familiar route she could fine. She had defaulted to what had felt safe. She had ran a good distance too. She gone back! It was the crowd! Applejack quickly came into view, looking nervous as she saw Earth-Chan running towards them, then confused when she saw what was behind her, then horrified when she put two and two together. Everypony else looked rightfully miffed at the sight of a criminal such as herself. Bright Star broke through the crowd and joined a spot next to Applejack. He seemed stoic, but definitely had some disappointment in his eyes. That stung... almost as much as the critters. His expression quickly changed too, evolving in a very short time to a look of shock as her animal infested figure came into better view.

With two paths blocked she had few options. Three if she counted the fact that she was wanted in town. That place wasn't safe... No where was!

Except maybe another option entirely.

Banking to the left, the critter covered earth pony made a bee line for the forest. With a flick of her ears Earth-Chan could hear the loudest 'What in tarnation?!' come from behind her as she disappeared into the foliage. The stomping of hooves and paws alike stormed behind her. She was still being chased. These animals were still hurting. She needed to fix both of these problems.

It didn't help how unfamiliar she was with this forest. This could be difficult. Thankfully more and more of the critters were loosing their stamina and falling off. That seemed like it might fix itself with time. Meaning the next step was escaping. How though? The animals could smell her, the pegasi could spot her, she could barely think enough to construct a plan, and to top it all off her hooves felt like lead! What was left?! What could she possibly be missing for this to snowball any further?

As if to answer her question a quartet of growls could be heard in the distance.

With a scared squeak the pony instantly veered off to the side in an attempt to avoid all of that nonsense. "Nope nope nope nope nooooope!"