• Published 4th Jan 2018
  • 2,990 Views, 51 Comments

"There's A Monster in my Bedroom!" - Vertigo22



There's a monster in Twilight's bedroom, and it's up to Princess Cadance to help her defeat it!

  • ...
9
 51
 2,990

The Imagination of a Foal

It was a warm, summer night in Canterlot. The Sparkle residence had but one light on, and it was the living room. Within it, Princess Cadance sat on a cushion as she read a book. A cup of tea sat next to her as she turned the page. Upstairs, Twilight Sparkle slept peacefully, having been put to bed a few hours prior.

“Her parents should be home any minute now,” Cadance said to herself. The time she’d spent with Twilight that night had been eventful. They’d played board games, fought over eating vegetables, and read spooky stories. It was fun, even if a bit routine for the princess.

But who was she to argue with a routine when she got to see Twilight smile?

Cadance lifted the tea up to her lips. Before she could take a sip though, she heard Twilight’s bedroom door burst open, and the sound of the foal’s hooves slamming against the floor filled the air. Her heart immediately began to race and she felt paralyzed by fear.

“Cadance!”

Cadance rushed over to Twilight Sparkle, who had Smarty Pants in her magic, and shook wildly in fear. “What is it?” she asked in a motherly tone. She sat next to the foal and did her best to calm her down, which was easier said than done. A waterfall of tears rushed down Twilight’s face, drenching her fur. Once she did calm down though, what she said made as much sense to Cadance as it didn’t.

“There’s… there’s a monster in my room!”

Cadance raised an eyebrow. “A monster you say?”

Twilight nodded repeatedly. “It was big! It had really big claws!” she said, visibly shaking. “And… and its eyes were like those icky tomatoes that mommy and daddy and you make me eat!”

Cadance giggled. “Is that so?” she asked, hoping that her reaction to her story would ease Twilight’s mind. “Well, why don’t we go show this big, scary monster who’s boss!”

“Yeah!” Twilight bounced around happily. She followed Cadance to her bedroom, which was surprisingly neat and tidy for a place that had allegedly been the home of a scary monster.

“So, where was this monster?” Cadance asked.

Twilight pointed to the window. “He was out there! He was tapping on my window and kept waving to me!” she said. “Then he appeared in my room!”

Cadance nodded and looked around the room for anything that could possibly explain Twilight’s sighting. It didn’t take long though, as she saw a coat hanger that stood near the window Twilight had gestured to. She walked over to the lightswitch and flicked it off. “So,” she began, “is that your monster?” she asked ask she pointed to the coat hanger.

Twilight shook her head. “No! It was a real monster!” She turned to Cadance with watery eyes. “You have to believe me, Cadance! It was big and scary! He… he said he’d eat us all!”

Cadance looked into Twilight’s eyes. She hated to admit it to herself, but the terror in her eyes was hard to denounce, which unnerved her. If Twilight was telling the truth, then she knew that both her life and Twilight’s were in danger. And in a city as large as Canterlot, that also put a lot of other ponies in danger. She let out a sigh and nodded. “Okay then: where did the monster go?”

“Well, when I ran out, he… didn’t follow me,” Twilight said. “I think he was afraid when I said that I’d get my foalsitter.”

Cadance smirked. “So, the big scary monster was afraid of a princess?”

Twilight nodded. “I think he knew who you were!”

“Oh really now?” Cadance flicked the lightswitch back on and puffed out her chest. “So, you think this big, scary monster won’t return if I stay in here with you?”

The fear in Twilight’s eyes vanished in a heartbeat, and was replaced with absolute joy. “You would do that!?” she asked. “To keep him away?”

Cadance smiled. Inside though, she still couldn’t help but feel a twinge of fear. The look in Twilight’s eyes when she’d first come up to her had been burned into her mind. “Of course I would,” she said after a moment. “Anything for the best foal in the whole wide world!”

Twilight bounced around happily. “Oh, yes, yes, yes!” she exclaimed. “Now nothing can hurt us! The best foalsitter in the world and Smarty Pants will protect me from anything!”

Cadance felt her heart swell with the warmth of a thousand suns. Whatever fear had once filled Twilight seemed to have been extinguished with just a few words. “Well, I’ll be right back. For now, why don’t you get back into bed? I hear monsters can’t hurt you if you’re under a blanket.”

Twilight stopped bouncing and got under the blankets faster than Cadance had ever seen her under them.

Wow, maybe I should say that more often when I’m here, she thought. Cadance tucked Twilight back into bed and kissed her on the head. “Just remember: there’s nothing to worry about Twilight,” she said with a warm smile. “If there are monsters here, I’ll make sure none will ever hurt you. I promise.”

Twilight smiled back. “You’re the best, Cadance,” she said back before letting out a yawn. She snuggled herself under her blankets and looked up at Cadance. “Will you really stay up here for the night with me?”

Cadance nodded. “Of course I will,” she said as she watched Twilight drift off to sleep. She let out a soft sigh and turned around and walked back down into the living room to get her book. “Foals and their imaginations,” she said to herself with a chuckle, after which she levitated up her book.

Tap… tap…

Cadance turned her head and looked into the hallway. From within the shadows of the room, she could see two glistening red eyes glare back at her.

“Adults and their lack of imagination,” a soft voice said to her.

Comments ( 51 )

To spooky!

Great work my dude and your proof readers to.

And the cover art is really well Done so much floff!

Nooo you can’t leave it like that it was getting good

8648574 As it says in the description, it was a 30 minute writing exercise. Though, I guess I can do a bonus chapter.

Label it horror too?

Great story! Have your tenth like!

8648636 I want the ending to be a surprise! ^_^

What a fun read! >w<

Nicely done, Vertigo!!

Honestly, the scariest part of this story... is the cover art. Again, why did she have to draw Cadence like that?! :twilightoops:

8648741
She looks like she has one Bat-wing XD
(Love ya HP : )please don't hurt me)

lol dat ending doe

Oh, that ending is good.

please dont continue it. leave it be.

this is one of those instances that the reader is left to fill in the blank and year for more.

8648960
8649090
I'm thrilled you both liked the ending! I took inspiration from Goosebumps with it. :twilightsmile:

8648701 Thank you!

8649026 Secretly, I stole the idea from your head! :pinkiegasp:

8648570 Thank you very much!

8648565 Glad you think so.

8648740 That's what Cadance probably thought too.

8648741 Eh, I like it.

8648897 Sadly never read it. Glad you thought of King while reading one of my stories though. I feel honored... at least, I hope you thought of it in a good way.

8649131 This is something I'm very torn on now. I was gonna do a bonus chapter, but so many people seem to like the ending that now I'm thinking I shouldn't because I don't wanna ruin the story. And I do agree, I think that the ending works much better without elaborating upon it. Odds are, I'll post a blog about it at some point in the near future. Glad you liked it though! :pinkiehappy:

..and then Cadance love-nuked the monster and they cuddled.

A precious story, with a hilarious ending. :twilightsmile:

8648570

Great work my dude and your proof readers to.

THANK YOU.

All the daaw!:twilightsmile:

And so Cadance and Twilight were brutally devoured in a gory spectacle because they didn't have a stuffed tiger to save them.

78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzu2c0T7Pd1r4ejnio2_1280.jpg

:trollestia:

In a world of magic, or in the world of reality, only fools deny the existence of monsters.

...and then Cadance detonated the house.

I agree with those that say leave it be, but on the same token i'd love to see more. Perhaps maybe down the road when you come up with an idea to make it work without taking away from this story. Overall, excellent work

I'll admit that I have little experience in the subject, but I personally was expecting a bit different when I saw the "Slice of Life" tab. Like, something more genuinely heartwarming, and not so much scary plot twist. Maybe add a "Horror" tag too?

There is only a Slice of Life tag but there really is a monster? I don’t understand where you are really going with this.

8650099
8650322
The ending is supposed to be a surprise.
:raritywink:

That was so cute!

that was a horrifying ending... actually felt a little nervous toward it.

8650354
Yes, but coming like this, without proper tagging, this comes rather out of the blue and randomly to me. I think it’s not clear what you have exactly written this for. People comes here for a slice of life story, not for creeps.

8650810 ... fair enough. I've had a few people already mention it, I might as well do so. Thank you, and I hope you enjoyed the story. :pinkiehappy:

8650831
I did. The part with Cadance comforting Twilight is cute, and the red eyes at the end leave things open for imagination.

8650839 Woo-hoo! Glad you enjoyed it. :) Also, great profile picture of best princess. :heart:

Well, that was a twist I didn't expect. :twilightoops:

Adults and their lack of imagination

There is a corollary: Our bad memories get worse as we get older

8651899
I seriously imagined Darth Vader. "I find your lack of faith disturbing." :twilightoops:

8650322
You mean you've never seen the bogeyman?

8653071

You mean you've never seen the bogeyman?

I like the idea of Candace taking a no nonsense approach to bogeymen and other bedroom terrors like Susan Sto Helit

8651086 Heh. Honestly, I wasn't expecting so many people to enjoy the ending. Glad that people did though!

8650764 Well, I feel accomplished.

8651226 Indeed. :raritywink:

8652124 Ooooh. Neat comparison. I'm flattered. :pinkiehappy:

8651899 And in Cadance's case... her imagination just got quite the awakening.

Neat ending!

And then, when Twilight Velvet and Night Light came home, Cadance had to explain to them why the Royal Guard was outside their house, and why there was a huge gaping hole where their living room once was.

i can imagine monsters like this being lunas job to deal with, before her banishment

*Loud screaming before I realize they're just the red taillights of a car*

LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO ME! :derpytongue2:

8887083 Just wait until you read the sequel. :pinkiecrazy:

This evening, I give unto you your 200th like. Congratulations, colleague.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

And… and its eyes were like those icky tomatoes that mommy and daddy and you make me eat!

She had taste. :)

Login or register to comment