• Published 23rd Dec 2017
  • 1,059 Views, 25 Comments

A Hearth's Warming Miracle - XFangHeartX



A Hearth's Warming party gets tense when the partygoers are snowed in at the Castle of Friendship.

  • ...
0
 25
 1,059

Ch. 4- A Miracle Is Born

"Moonlight?" Twilight called as she entered the bedroom, and she could see a grayish blue and purple tail sticking out from underneath the bed. "Moonlight, come out."

"No..." Moonlight's voice whimpered from under the mattress, causing Twilight to approach her.

"Moonlight, please come out of there," the purple alicorn pleaded. "Please?"

All she got in response was a sniffle as Moonlight turned to face her, revealing her tearful eyes.

"You...you said that Hearth's Warming is supposed to be a happy time," the filly said, "but everypony's arguing with each other!"

"Oh, Moonlight," Twilight said as she gently pulled her adopted younger sister into a hug, while Moonlight sobbed in her chest. "I'm so sorry."

Unbeknownst to the two, Tempest stood behind Twilight as she tried to console Moonlight. The handicapped unicorn's expression softened with sadness and guilt, but then it quickly turned into one of anger as she turned to where the castle drawing room was, so much so, her broken horn momentarily flared up before she turned and walked away, heading back to the gathering place. There, she could still everypony yelling and fighting with each other, and Starlight and Spike trying to keep their hardest to keep the peace. It was more than she could take, so she took in a deep breath and then yelled out at the top of her voice.

"EVERYPONY, BE QUIET!!!!"

Hearing that shout caused everypony in the room to look up at Tempest, who came down the stares with a cold glare in her eyes...almost as if she had regressed back to when she invaded Canterlot with the Storm King's army.

"Listen to you fools!!" she shouted. "Arguing like a bunch of children!! I get it...you don't wanna cooped up in here, but as long as that snow has piled up outside, then we can't go anywhere until morning!" She then pointed her hoof upstairs. "I just went up and saw two sisters who planned this party in order to have fun with their friends, but instead, they're up there, lamenting that nopony is having a good time, and you arguing is making it worse!!"

Upon hearing that, everypony seemed to take on faces of guilt and remorse. Some were even murmuring to themselves about the Sparkle Sisters being upset.

"Apple Bloom," Tempest said as she approached the Cutie Mark Crusaders. "I know you're upset because you wanna go home and get your presents from Merry Mare...but being mean and ornery isn't going to help your chances. You made poor Moonlight cry because of what you said."

"...I did, didn't I?" Apple Bloom asked, sadly. "I...I guess I really was upset...but I didn't mean to get so...well, mean."

"I guess we all got a little carried away," Scootaloo added.

"Yeah," Sweetie Belle agreed.

"I think when Moonlight comes out of there," Tempest began, "you should apologize to her, immediately."

"We will," the Cutie Mark Crusaders smiled, which caused Tempest to nod in approval before she moved on to Rainbow Dash.

"Look," Tempest began, "I know how some Pegasus can be. They wanna stretch their wings and fly freely...but right now, you just have to tough it out and wait."

"...Yeah, you're right," Rainbow Dash concurred. "Man, I acted like a such a dunderhead."

"It happens to the best of us," Tempest assured. "Next time, try to take it easy, though."

"Thanks, Tempest," Rainbow Dash said as she did a hoof bump with the unicorn, who chuckled before she went up to Fluttershy and Rarity next.

"Rarity," Tempest continued, "I know it's not the best-looking sweater...but Fluttershy took the time to make it for you. She did it because she wanted to make you happy. Isn't it the thought that counts?"

"...That's true," Rarity said, guiltily as she looked at the awful sweater, then looked at Fluttershy. "Oh, Fluttershy, I'm so sorry! I know you were just doing your best and...I should've been more grateful."

"It's all right, Rarity," Fluttershy smiled. "I forgive you." She then looked down at the sweater before she tried to stifle a snicker. "Actually...now that I look at it again, it really is awful, isn't it?"

"Pfft...!" Rarity snickered. "Yes, yes it is!" Soon the two friends laughed, causing Tempest to smile, too.

"...Maybe...you could give me knitting lessons?" asked Fluttershy.

"Well, of course, darling!" Rarity replied. "In fact, consider that my Hearth's Warming gift to you."

"I look forward to it," Fluttershy smiled.

"And as for you, Cobalt," said Tempest as she approached her two old friends, "I understand that you just want Crystal to have the baby safely...but don't hover over her so much. Let her breathe, too. She's not helpless."

"...You're right," Cobalt said with a sigh before he looked at Crystal. "I'm so sorry, Crystal."

"Well...I know you meant well," said Crystal. "I'm sorry I yelled at you."

"No, no, don't be sorry," said Cobalt. "I mean...it was mostly your hormones talking, right?"

"I suppose so," Crystal replied with a chuckle. "Still...it's good to see you care." She then gave her husband a kiss on his cheek, causing him to smile and blush.

"Awww~!" everypony around them cooed.

"You see?" Tempest asked. "Hearth's Warming is about being together and being happy. That's what really counts."

"She's right," said Applejack.

"Isn't that why we came to this party in the first place?" Pinkie asked. "To be together."

"That is why we came here," said Lyra.

"We just weren't expecting to be snowed in, that's all," said Cherry Berry.

"We feel really awful," said Derpy Hooves.

"As long as you all know that and are willing to make things better," Tempest began, "not just for Princess Twilight and her sister, but all of us, too, then that's all I need to hear. So what do you say? Can we all just...enjoy the holiday?"

Soon, the room began to burst into cheers of agreement, which was enough to cause Twilight and Moonlight to come out of their room.

"What's going on?" Twilight asked.

"Nothing," Starlight replied. "Everything's been taken care of, now...thanks to Tempest."

Tempest looked up and smiled at Twilight, who blinked in surprise before she smiled in return, and even Moonlight smiled as she and her adopted older sister came down the stairs. Soon after, Apple Bloom walked up to the filly, along with Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle.

"Hey, Moonlight," said Apple Bloom. "I just wanna say that...I'm really sorry for calling your cards stupid."

"It's okay, Apple Bloom," Moonlight smiled. "I know you were just upset."

"But that's no excuse for me to be mean," said Apple Bloom.

"Yeah, that's no excuse for anypony to be mean," Scootaloo added.

"Here-here!" Sweetie Belle agreed.

Moonlight smiled before she went up and hugged Apple Bloom, who returned her embrace, and soon after, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and the other fillies and colts joined in on the group hug, to the older ponies adoration.

"I'm glad everything's settled, now," Twilight said. "Thank you, Tempest."

"Well...I just thought I'd return the favor, that's all," Tempest smiled.

"Come on, everypony!" Spike called. "Let's get some cider!"

"Yeah!!" everypony cheered...but just then...

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!" Crystal let out a scream so loud, it would've been broken the windows...and maybe even the castle, itself.

"Crystal?!" Cobalt questioned.

"Crystal, what is it?!" asked Tempest.

"Rrrgh...!" Crystal groaned as she held her belly. "It's...it's time!!"

"You mean...?!" Cobalt gasped.

"The baby's coming!!" cried Crystal.

"Now?!" Tempest questioned while everypony gaped.

"W-w-what do we do?!" asked Spike.

"I don't know!!" answered Twilight.

"Oh, man, this is SO not cool!!" exclaimed Rainbow Dash.

Soon, the whole room began to panic...except for Applejack, who pushed her way passed the crowd with a determined expression as she approached Crystal.

"Simmer down, everypony!" she called out, causing all the guests to look at her. "Now let's not get our dander up! I know just what to do!"

"You?" Crystal asked. "You know about childbirth?"

"Sure as shootin', sugarcube," Applejack assured. "Why, I helped Granny Smith deliver babies almost a dozen times, now!"

"W-what should we do?" asked Cobalt.

"First off, Crystal," Applejack began, "just breathe for right now."

"Right," Crystal replied before she take in deep breaths.

"Second, she needs a place to lie down," Applejack started. "Can you make it to a bed?"

"I...I think so," Crystal replied as she tried to walk to one of the guest rooms, but the pain made her stop in her tracks. "No! I can't do it!"

"Oh! We should get some cushions and pile them around on the floor!" Twilight suggested.

"I'm on it!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed before she looked to some of her Pegasus friends. "Come on, you guys! Let's move it!"

"Right, Rainbow Dash!!" the Pegasi exclaimed as they began to fly off and gather cushions for Crystal to lie on. Once they had gathered enough, Twilight arranged them so they'd be nice and comfortable and that they wouldn't shift when Crystal lied on them. The mint green unicorn whimpered as Cobalt gently eased his wife onto cushions, then lied down beside her.

"Shh..." he whispered in a soothing voice. "It's okay, Crystal Cascade. Everything's gonna be fine."

"Oh, Cobalt," Crystal whispered.

Soon, Spike arrived with a blanket, which he put over the laboring mother. Then, Applejack, after she washed her hooves, soon sat before Crystal while everypony else gathered around, but making sure not to get too close.

After about an hour or so, Crystal began screaming as the contractions started getting frequent. Applejack kept shouting "Push", over and over, and then told Crystal to stop once the contractions subsided, temporarily. Soon, an hour became two hours, then three, then four, and the whole time, everypony watched in awe...and some were a bit disgusted, but there was mostly awe.

"I can't believe we're actually watching a baby pony being born...!" Pinkie whispered.

"Yeah...!" Rainbow Dash agreed. "It's...actually pretty cool!"

"Shh~!" Twilight shushed. "Quiet."

"Oh, right," Rainbow Dash whispered. "My bad."

"How come nothing's happened, yet?" asked Sweetie Belle, softly.

"Giving birth to babies takes time, Sweetie Belle," Rarity answered.

"Sure looks like it hurts," Spike added with a wince.

"Oh, that's so profound of you," Starlight whispered, sarcastically.

"Well, excuse me," Spike replied.

"Starlight, Spike, no arguing," Twilight chided.

"Sorry," Spike and Starlight whispered sheepishly.

"Is she gonna be okay?" asked Moonlight.

"Sure she will," Apple Bloom answered. "Applejack's done this lots of times."

"If you say so," Scootaloo whispered.

"I'm going to put my trust in her," Tempest added.

Just then, Crystal's screams stopped...but another soon followed, only this one sounded smaller. Soon, Applejack held up a tiny newborn foal with a light green coal and a dark blue mane and tail.

"Aww..." Applejack cooed. "It's a beautiful little filly."

"Awwww...!" everypony swooned.

"Here Applejack," Fluttershy said...holding up the sweater she made for Rarity. "You can use this to wrap her up in."

"Are you sure about that, Fluttershy?" Rarity asked.

"I'm sure," Fluttershy said. "I think she needs this more."

Applejack took the sweater and wrapped the newborn filly up in it, then hoofed her over to Crystal, who happily took her into her forelegs while tears fell from her eyes, while Cobalt sniffled and nuzzled his wife.

"She's perfect...!" Crystal whispered as she kissed the filly's cheek.

"Our little daughter...!" Cobalt added, while Tempest quietly approached.

"Hi," she whispered softly, causing the filly to coo, softly. "I'm your godmare."

Soon, the other ponies began to gather around to get a look.

"Aww, isn't she cute?" asked Rainbow Dash.

"She's so tiny...!" Apple Bloom whispered.

"Congratulations, both of you," said Fluttershy.

"What are you gonna name her?" asked Twilight.

"...You know...I don't think we ever thought of names, yet," Crystal realized.

"What do you think she should be called?" asked Cobalt.

"...I think it should be something unique," said Tempest. "I think her name should have some meaning."

"Well...we were all arguing, before," Starlight said.

"Yeah," Spike agreed, "but then Tempest got everypony to calm down...and then the baby was born."

"And on such a cold, snowy night, too," Fluttershy agreed.

"And now, we're all here together," Rarity began, "to witness this little miracle."

"...That's it...!" Crystal said as she looked to her baby. "I know what to call our baby: Miracle Star."

"I think it sounds perfect," Tempest said.

"Me, too," Twilight agreed. "Welcome to the world, Miracle Star."

The newly christened Miracle Star yawned as she nestled in her mother's embrace. Soon after, everypony else began to follow suit, curling up around each other to stave off the cold while the snow fell outside. As everypony began to cast into slumber, Moonlight looked up at Twilight, who covered her and Spike with a wing.

"This is the best Hearth's Warming Eve I've ever had," she whispered. "Thanks, Twilight."

"Don't thank me," Twilight whispered as she looked to Tempest, who smiled at her.

"You're right," Moonlight said. "Thanks, Tempest."

"No problem," Tempest whispered. "Happy Hearth's Warming."

"Happy Hearth's Warming," whispered Twilight as she began to fall asleep, as well.

However, if one would listen closely...they could've heard the sound of bells jingling in the sky.

Author's Note:

I always wanted to do a baby pony birth scene...and now I did! :twilightsmile: