• Published 17th May 2018
  • 2,024 Views, 35 Comments

Adagio for a Sunset - Hubris Von Ego



Adagio's life was so much easier before the Battle of the Bands. Now she and her sisters have to work. Oh! and they are mortals now.

  • ...
4
 35
 2,024

Adagietto

Adagio was in a fairly good mood as she stretched her legs off the edge of her bed. She had started to turn herself around, less moping, and more productivity. She wasn’t at the top of her game, but she was ready to take on her life. She definitely was happier than she had been in a while, as shown by a sleek grin on her freshly awoken face.

She grabbed some shorts and small loose top then proceeded to the shower, the warm water washing her leftover weariness away. After she dressed, she took in the solitary early morning. The chilled air was cut with the smell of PineSol and bacon. Both of her sisters had left for work that morning, Sonata had left her breakfast and a note. Her stomach growled alerting her to her hunger, a light blush graced her cheeks as she slid into a chair at the table. She had enjoyed the bacon and eggs, she opted for orange juice to drink.

-

Hey Dagi!

We are off to work, hope you have a good day!

Sonata and Aria

P.S. Aria wouldn’t sign this so I signed for her, but she also wants you to have a good day!

-

After reading the little note, Adagio took a deep breath and smiled at the little gift. She gathered the plate and glass and rinsed them in the sink, the tell tale flow of water and clink of dishes the only sound in the apartment.

She grabbed her shoes and immediately took to the streets for a brief jog. She had put in her earbuds and set up a playlist consisting of bubbly feel good pop music to listen to on her trek. As she passed the strangers on the street she gave most of them a brief wave, which earned her a nod or wave with a smile from everyone.

Her morning had been plain but enjoyable. She had watched the sunrise over a pond as she caught her breath on her jog, she had got to hear birds singing as she went through the park, there was a marvelous mural on the side of a toy store on her way back, probably the work of one of the artists going by the name of Flanksy. She had wondered why there were two artists with the same pseudonym in one area, but that wasn’t too strange to be honest.

She could feel every rhythmic step on the hard sidewalk, the early morning chill nipped at her skin. After she had gotten warmed up from her run a chilled breeze blew through, biting at her midriff and legs, signaling her to finish up her jaunt.

Upon returning to the apartment she went to her room and gathered some of her work uniforms and ran a hot bubble bath. While the tub filled she lit a couple sticks of ocean breeze incense, and retrieved her special soaps from their hiding place under the sink. She then let the warm water and bubbles engulf her, the smell in the room taking her back to tropical waters from her memories.

She didn’t go into work until that afternoon, and she wanted to make the most of her morning. She had cleaned a lot more of her room and had done several loads of laundry after her bath.

Currently she was humming while organizing her laundry. Every few outfits she would stop to admire her choice in clothing. She was not completely over everything but she and her sisters had done magnificently without their magic, the constant hunger pangs from the dark siren magic were gone, thus the need to constantly cause trouble was gone as well. She missed her melodious voice, but it was a small price to pay.

Adagio was still upset, but she chose to embrace her life. She had a job, she had her sisters, as irksome as they could be, she had a place to stay that was brimming with various things they had acquired here in this world. Honestly she was proud of how well she was doing. Now if only she could figure out what to do with her feelings toward a certain meddlesome girl.

She frowned, she didn’t know Sunset Shimmer that well, and honestly was more than a little curious about how she had let herself develop a crush. Perhaps it was an effect of the rainbow beam that had hit her, or maybe she was just a hopeless romantic caught up on the fact that she saw so much of herself in Sunset. She had heard what Sunset was like before, and had taken notice of how she acted in the days leading up to the Battle of the Bands. Before finding out about her and her sisters, Sunset had tried so hard to be their friend. It had been adorable, but Adagio had tried to corrupt the bright girl they had met.

She grimaced. She definitely didn’t want to go back to that. The life with siren powers let her have anything except someone special. She had always just sang someone into being with her and it left her jaded. “No more!” she declared to the empty apartment.

She had surprised herself with the declaration, blushing to no one she finished with her laundry.


When the afternoon rolled around she left early for work, wanting to get something special for her lunch. Joe’s was great and all, but a girl had to eat a balanced diet if she wanted to keep a figure.

She stopped at a place she had heard about, Johnny Coltinio’s, to get a salad with almonds in it and herb soup to go. It didn’t take long to get her food, but during her few minutes there she heard a couple of teenagers talking.

“Did you hear?” the hushed youths gossiped.

“About Sunset? Yeah.”

“She deserves it, I mean, like, if she hadn’t been lying this whole time.”

“Can you believe she actually did it though?”

“Anon-A-Miss? Yeah I mean she was just waiting to ruin the school again.”

“She was so bold about it though, I mean a MyStable page with her silhouette, colored like her hair, and that symbol she has on all of her clothes?”

“No one else would do it, I mean who else could it be?”

“Yeah, I guess you're right.”

Adagio was confused, her last impression of Sunset Shimmer was that she was too good to turn on CHS, but those girls made her sound like some kind of monster.

She let the idea go as she left the restaurant with her lunch to go. She walked to work carrying the positivity from her jog that morning. When she got to Joe’s she sat outside and ate her lunch while she waited for time to clock in, the early winter day chilling her. She ate the salad rapidly, but she took her time with the soup, letting it warm her up before she started her shift.

Finally it was time for her to go in, she expected to see Sonata hanging about. That wasn’t the case. It was slow, the evening crowds having not come in yet. A pair of teens sat in the corner and there was a middle aged man by the window enjoying a coffee. Adagio strolled through the store until she got to the counter and went around behind it only to run into Aria as she came from the back. “Unf!” was all that could be heard between the two.

“Watch it,” Aria complained.

“Oh, yes. Because I can see around a blind corner.” Adagio retorted. “Where is Sonata?”

The two girls got up and dusted off, “she left right after her shift, some of the Rainjerks were in here and they said some stuff that set her off on one of her generic after school special moods.”

Adagio clocked in, and paused. She turned her head to her sister. “Which Rainbooms?”

Aria went about organizing and cleaning the counter, “the fashionista, pink Sonata, and the scaredy cat.”

Adagio frowned, no Sunset then. “What set her off then?”

“That MyStable page that everyone is up in arms about, Anon-A-Miss. They said it was Bitchset, and Sonata got all pissy about it.” She snickered as she moved old baked goods to the discount baskets.

Adagio paled slightly at the news, what she had heard getting lunch was… right? “Wait, how do you know so much about this?” she asked.

Aria finished her task and turned to Adagio. “I started following that page after the second post. I was hoping for someone to give me something I could use against the Rainbooms, sadly since all of the info on Anon-A-Miss is public and just about everyone from CHS follows it, they are determined to blame Sunshit.” She glanced at the front door, “It is pretty funny though.”

This gave Adagio a bit to think about as she clocked in and worked. She went through most of the night considering everything she knew, Aria had sounded like she doubted Sunset’s guilt. On top of that, the girl that initially tried to befriend the sisters definitely wouldn’t do this.

With that thought in her mind she finished work without any problems, she was working with Joe that night, so he did the close and she got to go home a little early.

When she got home Aria was watching a new web series about an alcoholic princess. Adagio joined her after getting a warm cup of tea. Aria shared some popcorn from a large bowl, both sisters leaned in opposite corners of the couch. The tension in the room was the almost non-existent, they were relaxed on the couch smirks on their faces, only disturbed by small chuckles at the television.

After a couple episodes Sonata came in the front door, a light layer of snow on her work clothes. Her nose was visibly red and runny. She also looked distracted and not with her normal whimsy. She didn’t normally look so down, nor did she tend to think that hard on things. Sonata stalked surreptitiously to her room without so much as looking up when Adagio and Aria greeted her.

Adagio was curious as to what happened to make Sonata look so dejected.

She would just have to talk to her in the morning, and with that she continued to watch the ridiculous animation with Aria.

Author's Note:

Short one, I am not sure if anyone one got to look at it.

Next one is gonna be intense. :pinkiehappy: