• Published 23rd Dec 2017
  • 1,050 Views, 87 Comments

Quete - Comrade Bagel Muffin



A unicorn's quest to return home.

  • ...
4
 87
 1,050

PreviousChapters Next
Le Bateau de Pêche

The eight of them made their way down to the beach, and after walking south for a few minutes they arrived at the docks of Rocky Coast. The docks looked like they had existed since the beginning of the coastal settlement. There were several boats moored to the dock. Only one of the boats was large enough to carry the eight of them.

"Wow your ship is the biggest one here," Escutcheon said from Drag Net's back.

"Well thank you lad, but she ain't my ship." Drag Net laughed.

"What, but none of the others are anywhere near large enough."

"Oh trust me we'll be taking that ship, but out here the ships are all communal. We share are ships with the three other closest towns." Drag Net walked lead the group up on the docks and to the boat. Several other large fisher ponies, and a few smaller built ponies were working on the ship making it sea worthy. "This'll get us to the island in around two days."

"Wait that colt's the unicorn that Story Teller was talking about?" One of the larger ponies on the ship asked. Looking Escutcheon up and down.

"A bit small ain't he?" another asked.

"He don't look like he could handle himself are you sure that we should do this instead of waiting for a detachment from Marine?" another asked.

"We don't have time for the bureaucrats to debate our pleads, besides after Marine accepts our request it'll still be two winters before we can expect a detachment from the Tivi." One of the younger fisher ponies spoke up from behind Escutcheon. "Besides this colt's got strong magic, and we can't afford two more bad seasons." The others nodded in agreement.

"Well since you say so Anchor." One of the stallions jumped off of the boat. "She's ready for the voyage and the trip back. May the North wind be on your back." The other ponies repeated the last statement and jumped off the side of the boat back on to the dock. The seven ponies and Turkeylegs walked onto the boat, and untied it heading North by Northwest.

Escutcheon watched as the land behind him slowly faded beyond the horizon. Once he was done this would be the furthest west that he'd ever go. Turkeylegs lay asleep at his side. Drag Net and the other fisher ponies worked the ship working it slowly to the island of harpies. He stood there at the end of the boat, the sea breeze flowing through his golden mane and the burlap cloak that he was wearing.

"You're not sea sick Escutcheon?" Trail Life trotted over. Escutcheon shook his head side to side in an answer. "You thinking of that pony that's back east huh. She must be pretty special to you to give up your quest."

"I'll find a spell to get me back home, but yeah she's everything. Beautiful, brave, and she has this spirit of just-" He sighed with a simple smile on his face. Just thinking of her made him happy and filled him with longing.

"I get it." She put a hoof around him. "It's the same way with me and Carrot. I hope that the two of you live to be happy." He nodded.

"Thanks." Escutcheon just watched the as the eastern sky slowly became blue, then purple, and finally fell into darkness as stars began to dot the sky. Escutcheon joined the other ponies below deck. He lay in his bed tossing and turning until the rocking of the boat on the sea finally lulled him to sleep. "I'm sorry Mother, Father." He said as sleep claimed him, and took him to troubling and painful dreams.

PreviousChapters Next