• Published 23rd Dec 2017
  • 1,049 Views, 87 Comments

Quete - Comrade Bagel Muffin



A unicorn's quest to return home.

  • ...
4
 87
 1,049

PreviousChapters Next
Feu

The two of them continued down the hall Escutcheon focused his magic on the tip of his horn. He didn't like not having something between him and the imposing darkness that surrounded him. The shrimp creatures though didn't seem to be ambush predators. Everything he saw of them they preferred to use brute force and pack hunting tactics to capture their prey. So long as they didn't separate the two of them, he and the large bird should be okay. The bird lowered its head down to his shoulder, and let out a soft low moan.

"I understand, but I need to stop this. I don't want these things attacking Dusk and the colony." The bird looked at him. "These things are top tier predators, that seem to eat fish and other forms of meat. With the colony fishing the fish supply will slowly disappear and the shrimp creatures will search for more food to feed their young and they'll follow the river up to the fishing out post which won't be able to fight these things off which will eventually lead them to the colony. The only good thing is most of the homes are in the trees but still. These things-" The bird interrupted him with a confused noise. "Uh right sorry I'm an egg head." Escutcheon's cheeks started glowing read. The noise of something moving ahead of them snapped him back to the severity of the moment. He shot a golden bolt of magic down the hall.

"What the is THAT?" His heart sank as his magical bolt stuck the largest creature he had ever seen out side of his mother's books. It was easily the size of an Ursa Minor It was similar to the shrimp creatures heavily armored in a thick carapace. It was surrounded by hundreds to thousands of eggs.

The creature let out a loud ear piercing screech, it sounded a hundred times worse than nails on a chalkboard. The noise broke his focus and the two of them were completely enveloped into the darkness of the cave. Sounds were coming from both directions. Escutcheon didn't even have time to think he just focused his magic and fired volley after volley of golden energy into the room. He didn't even realize that the bird had somehow tossed him on to its back and was charging into the room with the giant creature. The only thing that he focused on was blasting his magic at everything that moved. He knew that as soon as they were surrounded or boxed in that would be the end of them. His magic left his horn just as quickly as it came. Casting shadows every where as the cave alternated between being lit by his golden light and consumed in complete darkness.

The bird let out a cry as one of the creatures rammed it from the side nearly throwing Escutcheon off of its back. He had to end this quickly they were about to be corralled into a corner. "Hold on just a bit longer! I'm about to take care off this." He knew the spell a way to deal with the problem head on. He felt sweat start to slid down the sides of his brows as his horn started to glow. He hopped he got it right. It was a spell that he read about in one of mother's books. He was grounded for a month after she found out that he had read it. His eyes opened. They were pupilless, filled with bright light that drove away all of the darkness. A flicker and spark shot from his horn soon small embers started to flow around him and the bird. In seconds the hole cavern was ablaze. He felt his limbs grow heavy as he tried to focus on the flames. He told them what to do where to go, and they obeyed. The fire flooded down the halls into the cave system, burning alive anything that was near. The bird started hooting a panicked cry as the fire slid from his control. The world started fading away despite the flames growing more and more intense. He felt his sides being singed, followed quickly by being pulled under water by a pointy beak. The colony was safe. He knew that the flames would see to that.

PreviousChapters Next