• Published 23rd Dec 2017
  • 1,049 Views, 87 Comments

Quete - Comrade Bagel Muffin



A unicorn's quest to return home.

  • ...
4
 87
 1,049

PreviousChapters Next
Ruisseau de Babillage

The two of them continued to travel across the groved plain. They would start just as the sun rose above the horizon and continue until noon. They would rest in the shade of one of the many glades. Where they would stay until sunset. When they would head out into the night until midnight. Their progress was slow, but neither wanting to leave the other behind gladly moved at the relaxed steady pace.

Dusk." Escutcheon finished combing his mane by hoof. He couldn't believe that the burn out was lasting this long. She looked up from tying her tarp to the strap between her saddle bags. "You said that there was a desert on the other side of this plain?"

"Yeah. that's what the scouts said, on the other side was a large desert, why?"

"Because I don't think that we have enough water." He shook his canteen around. The water inside making the tale-tale noises of a container half empty. Dusk frowned and looked down at her own water container, which hung lightly around her neck. "I've not got my magic back yet, and I have no idea if I'll get it back before we get to the desert, but I was thinking that there has to be some kind of water source around here somewhere. I don't think this plain could support all of these trees without some kind of under ground water source."

"So, what you think we should try and dig a well. Because I'm no good at dowsing."

"No if there's an under ground water source there's a good chance that there will be a couple of springs up here on the surface." Dusk nodded following his train of thought.

"Alright not a problem then. If they're on the surface I should be able to see them from the sky." She unfolded her leathery wings. "It's been forever since I really had the chance to fly. You keep heading west, and if I find water I'll come and get you. If I don't just wait for me in the open I'll find you, and we'll have to figure it out later."

"Don't push yourself, I should get my magic back eventually. Then I'll be able to fill our canteens with the dew." he walked along side her as they made there way out of the glade, the dawn was just beginning. "It'll just take me a few more days."

"Then get well Escutcheon, but hopefully I'll find us a nice spring to use." He nodded as she took off flapping her wings she started her ascent. In only a minute she was soaring over head. Leaving him all alone. He already missed her. He would rather have Gilda as a companion than to be alone. He looked over his shoulder to the rising sun.

"Good night Mother. Good night Father. I'll be home. Eventually." He turned his back to the sunrise and began his walk to the west alone. Noon couldn't come soon enough.

The hours dragged on and on. Escutcheon kept his eyes on the sky. He didn't care if she found water for them, he just hoped that she would come back. His mind racing from one scenario to another. What if she got heat exhaustion? What if she found a bat from her colony and she left him? What if she was hurt and couldn't make it back? What if he was lost? Each question feed another fear. "Splitting up was a bad idea a very, very bad idea." He pushed slowly westward, only the soft breeze keeping him company. His ears perked up as he saw a small dot in the sky. He ran with glee toward Dusk as she started her decent.

"Dusk are you okay?" He asked as she landed. She looked like she was about to pass out.

"I'm fine, better than fine. I found a small little spring, it's just a few kilometers to the northwest. I'm sorry it took me so long but, I needed to check something out."

"What was it." Escutcheon helped her stay steady.

"I needed to see how close we are to the desert. We're a lot closer than I thought." She leaned up against him as they started heading to the northwest. "It's not really a desert at first but just a savannah, but it only goes on for a little bit before the ground becomes dry and arid. I don't think that I'll be able to travel at all during the day, in that kind of heat. The ground also reflects a lot of light. I couldn't handle it, my eyes are still burning."

"It's fine we'll travel at night."

"If you're willing to travel at night I'm willing to travel during the day. Besides our scouts could do it I can do it."

"We'll figure it out later. Let's just get to the water first. okay?" Dusk nodded and closed her eyes and let Escutcheon guide her. It took nearly an hour to get to the spring, but for Escutcheon it was the best hour of that day. Dusk was back, and safe, and she had found water. The air was cooler as they slowly descended into the small depression. The trees casting most of it into a nice cool shadow, with only a little bit of sunlight getting through.

Dusk opened her eyes as soon as she heard the steam. She headed over to the water's edge and began to guzzle down as much as she could drink of the cold fresh water. It wasn't very deep the deepest it would come up to Escutcheon's shoulders. He could only guess that it was being constantly feed from the watershed that was under their hooves. He smiled as Dusk stuck her head under the water and pulled it out with a loud whoop. "Come on Escutcheon the what are you waiting for the water's great." He nodded and started drinking. It was cold and nice really, really nice.

"I'm taking a bath." He took of his saddle bags, and waded into the water.

"Thank goodness you really needed one." She laughed as he started scrubbing off the layer of dirt that had accumulated on his snow white coat.

"Not as bad as you need one."

"Oh really?" She smiled. Throwing her saddle bags to the side, she jumped into the spring. She used her wings as propellers to swim over to the colt. She came up right next to him as spit out a mouthful of water into his face.

"Hey!" She laughed as Escutcheon's face went red.

"Gotcha!"

"Yeah well I got you." He threw his forelegs up throwing a ton of water onto Dusk. The two broke down into fits of splashing and laughter.

PreviousChapters Next