• Published 19th Dec 2017
  • 989 Views, 25 Comments

Heir to Darkness - Vivid Syntax



Two decades ago, Sombra succeeded in conquering the Crystal Empire. Now, his estranged son Brimstone must face him and right the wrongs of the past.

  • ...
2
 25
 989

Chapter 6 - The Crystal Cavern

Two Years Ago

Brimstone sighed in the lower level of his workshop. The soft glow of the crystal lamps around him soothed him, and the whole room was littered with artistic creations, from large, decorative chairs to a tiny, black statuette of a stallion, highlighted with red gems. He looked over his newest crystal sculpture: a unicorn casting a protective spell. He was particularly proud of the magical shield. It was carved from translucent faux diamond, and it captured the strong beauty of the spell he emulated.

Brimstone whispered, "There we are," as he sliced a tiny fragment off of a jagged edge with his wing blades. A tool of his own invention, they were attached to leather armor that slipped over his wings, with blades at the edges that he could manipulate with great precision.

The statue was half-completed, and Brimstone knew it would take another month of work to get it just right, but he felt so close. It would look stunning.

But then he realized what would make it better, and his expression flattened. What was the pony defending itself from? A black crystal would make an excellent opponent for this little pony. His heart beat faster, and he considered his options as he tried to ignore a dark voice at the back of his mind.

Looking around his workshop, he saw Izkael, his Trottish dragon friend and now-roommate, curled up in a bed in the corner and snoring lightly. His blue scales gave a soft reflection from the gem lamps, and his orange belly appeared to glow in the dim light. A few of his reddish-orange spines on his back and joints poked into the bed, creating even more holes that Brimstone silently promised he'd patch up one day. As Izkael breathed, his tail swayed, and Brimstone stared at the gentle movement of the blue sapphire inlaid in it until he calmed down.

Back in his senses, Brimstone bit his lower lip. Izkael wouldn't notice anything if he was asleep. True, his friend had agreed to sleep in his workshop to prevent exactly what Brimstone was considering doing, but if he could sell the piece fast enough… and after all, who wouldn't love a one-of-a-kind black opal atop their new statue?

Brimstone gasped as he heard the bell ring at the front door. He looked around, then sneered and cursed himself for nearly giving in again. Quietly, he slipped off his wing blades and tossed an old sheet over the statue. With a few flaps of his extremely wide wings, ascended to the shop, mindful of the squeaky steps so as not to wake his friend.

Brimstone reached the top of the steps, closed the door behind him, and greeted the dark blue pegasus mare that stood looking at some of his creations. The store was not so different from his workshop: colorful sculptures covered every surface, with a nearly life-size bust of Izkael on a pedastal in the center. The crystals caught the light of the sun and painted the room in a beautiful, soft rainbow.

Brimstone said brightly, "Welcome to The Crystal Cavern. How may I serve you?"

The mare didn't take her eyes from a sapphire candelabra. "Hi. Yeah. I'm Stardust. Looking for a gift for my coltfriend."

Brimstone took a deep breath and gave his warmest smile. "He's a very lucky stallion."

Stardust glanced at him, then smiled slightly.

Brimstone continued. "And I would be pleased to assist. Do you think your coltfriend would like something more artistic or more practical?"

"Oh, practical. Definitely." She picked up and felt the weight of a crystal teapot. "Do you deliver? I really don't want to have to fly back into town with something heavy."

Brimstone nodded. "I or my assistant would be happy to deliver it personally."

"Well, that's good." She set the teapot down. "Why are you out at the edge of Cloudsdale, anyway? It's a hell of a flight from downtown."

Brimstone tried to hide his wince, and his leg twitched reflexively. His mind reeled with reasons: he couldn't hurt anypony if he flew off the handle out here, he wouldn't be judged for being reclusive, he wouldn't hear the whispers from the citizenry about the banished son of Sombra… But he cleared his throat and said plainly, "Cheaper rent."

Stardust shrugged. "Eh, makes sense." She held up one of a set of dinnerware. "How much for these?"

Brimstone calmly said, "Forty bits for the set of eight."

"Are you serious?" She sneered at the plate and gingerly set it down. "That's outrageous!"

Brimstone's wings drooped, but he covered by stretching them out. His stomach twisted. He knew it was a reasonable price, if a bit rich for most ponies' tastes, but he needed to make a sale or two if he wanted oats on the table. Turning up the charm, he leaned casually against the counter and allowed his slight accent to come through. "You have a fine eye. I may be able to offer a discount."

Stardust shook her head. "I don't know…"

Brimstone chuckled. "Well, you came into my shop, so you certainly have exquisite taste. That dinner set would be the envy of the Canterlot nobility themselves." He left out why, of course: the nobility have a perverse love of the exotic and dangerous, and what better way to show off than by commissioning the son of a tyrant?

Stardust looked around again. "I'm sure it would be, but Iron's not really the kind of–"

Brimstone tensed and thought of his food bill. He said calmly, "You want to show him you care, do you not? Even practical ponies like being the center of attention sometimes." The world took on just the slightest green tint.

Stardust visibly relaxed and stared at Brimstone. Her voice mellowed. "Hm… You might have a point."

Brimstone's skin tingled. His voice lowered, far more than would usually be comfortable, and his mouth felt like it was full of warm, black tar. The world looked greener. 'We both want them to be happy. She just needs a little push.' He reached out to her in his mind, beckoning her closer, and she obeyed, unblinking. Brimstone purred, "This Iron of yours… Certainly he is worth a meager forty bits."

Stardust wore a vacant smile. "He's certainly worth forty bits," she said dreamily.

"And…" Brimstone rumbled. His body felt large and ethereal, like he could envelope everything in the room. "Think of how happy you'll be with the finest plates in Cloudsdale." His entire shop looked like he was viewing it through a deep, dark emerald, and his entire being felt full and powerful.

Stardust nodded slowly. "The finest in Cloudsdale."

Brimstone's chest rumbled with a low laugh, and he felt a jolt of intense satisfaction ripple through his body. "You seem to be seeing things my way."

"Of course. You're very wise, Your Majesty."

Bile rose in the back of Brimstone's throat. "What?" He blinked once, then again, and he stepped back, trying to force the green away. He shook his head around, then closed his eyes and told himself, 'No. No! Stop it!' He felt nauseous, like he could pass out at any moment.

When he looked back up, he saw Stardust rubbing her eyes. She groaned, set her hoof down, and squinted as she looked around the room. She raised an eyebrow, then took a few steps backwards as her eyes widened. She shook slightly, then quickly said, "Actually, I'm good. Th… Thank you." She didn't look at Brimstone as she quickly turned and raced out the door.

Brimstone stood breathless, staring as the bell above the door rang again.

A minute or so later, he whinnied loudly and cursed himself under his breath. He hefted his forelegs onto the counter and set his forehead down on the polished wood, wrapping his large wings around his face.

The stairs creaked behind him, and soon he heard a familiar voice ask, "Happen again, m'lad?"

Brimstone stood and rolled his shoulders back. "Yes."

Izkael cleared his throat and spoke with the same fullness he always used when he wanted to cheer Brimstone up. "Yer a long time dead, Brimmy. Don't waste yer livin' breath mopin'."

Brimstone sighed and mumbled, "I'll try, Izkael."

They had no other customers that week.