• Published 19th Dec 2017
  • 988 Views, 25 Comments

Heir to Darkness - Vivid Syntax



Two decades ago, Sombra succeeded in conquering the Crystal Empire. Now, his estranged son Brimstone must face him and right the wrongs of the past.

  • ...
2
 25
 988

Chapter 14 - Stealth

Three Hours Ago

With the towering wall of black crystal in front of them, Brimstone cleared his throat, and he spoke for the first time in days. "We have arrived."

Rosewood shot him a dirty look. "And if you still refuse to get us in the easy way…" After glaring at him for a silent moment, she continued, "…then I'll cut my own way in." She pulled an obsidian dagger from her pouch. "Once I open the way, I'm gone. You do what you need to, but if you get in my way, I won't hesitate to end you."

Brimstone asked, "What will you do?"

Rosewood began slicing her way through the crystal. "None of your concern." Within moments, a pony-sized hole appeared in the wall, and she began to crawl through. However, she hesitated for just a moment. She said, "Good luck, Prince Brimstone," and slipped through the hole, dashing away.

Brimstone's mouth hung open for just a moment, but then he climbed through the hole as it began to magically reseal itself. He squeezed through and saw a tail disappear behind a dilapidated building, leaving nothing but silence.

Brimstone's breath caught in his throat as he looked down at his hoof. For the first time in decades, he was standing in his home.

Gazing towards the center of the city, Brimstone gasped in awe. At the center of the Empire sat a giant castle made of dark, jagged crystal that stabbed into the sky. Cold power radiated from it, and it struck a ghastly contrast against all the poverty in the buildings that surrounded it. A few emaciated ponies galloped quickly through the streets, all trying to avoid the two guards that marched down the street. As they turned towards him, Brimstone ducked into an alleyway.

Brimstone felt the sweat bead on his coat. Looking quickly around, he saw an old dog house and jumped behind it with a single flap of his wings. He pressed against the side of it and tried to take in what he had seen.

He was dizzy. A small corner of his heart warmed at the thought of the castle being so close, but the rest of his heart iced over when he realized what had always been just beyond the castle walls. Had he ever even seen these slums as a colt? He couldn't remember, but now, he couldn't stop thinking about the ribs visible on the sides of those peasants. He shivered and sweat at once, and as the clang of metal hooves approached, Brimstone made himself small against the side of the dog house.

The metal hoofsteps passed a few agonizing seconds later, and Brimstone ducked into an alleyway between two rundown shells of buildings. Holding a hoof to his temple, he said softly, "Focus." His voice echoed slightly, and it sounded hollow.

Brimstone perked his ears up. He looked around. Izkael wasn't there to calm him down. Rosewood wasn't there to guide him. He shrunk and looked everywhere, but he was alone.

A powerful urge welled up in his stomach, a desire to run to the guards and ask them to take him home. He imagined himself back at the castle, taken care of by an endless stream of servants, with his father at his side to welcome him. His skin tingled, and a tired smile spread across his face.

But when Brimstone took another look at the alleyway, he fought back that urge. He ground his teeth, cursed himself for his lapse, and began walking towards the castle.

His travel was slow, but methodical, and he dashed between buildings only when he was sure nopony would see. Before each sprint, he assumed the launch position that he had used so many times with the Cloudsdale Blue Hawks, and his dashes were like a tightly-wound spring uncoiling all at once.

Each jump to the next building became harder as he neared the center of the empire. Not only did the heavy, cold feeling in his stomach intensify, but more and more ponies wandered the streets, all with the same hunched-over posture with their ears listening for the approach of guards. Deep into the city, Brimstone sneaked into a building he thought was abandoned, but as he turned around a corner, he saw a small colt staring at him with wide eyes and a slack jaw.

Brimstone's mane prickled. He held out a hoof. "Do not worry, little–"

"Ah!" The colt back away quickly, stumbling over his own hooves. His ears were flat against his head, and he shook.

Frowning, Brimstone set his hoof down. "I… will try to make this right. What is your name?"

The colt stared, unblinking, until he finally turned and ran as fast as he could into the street.

Brimstone sighed and continued his infiltration.

His legs and wings ached from tensing and releasing so many times, and his stomach rumbled. His mane was matted against his forehead, but he pressed onward, moving by what seemed like inches, all the way until dusk.

A mere three blocks away from the castle, Brimstone's blood ran cold as a booming, familiar voice filled the sky. "Today is a good day, slaves." Brimstone's knees nearly buckled at the sound of his father's voice. Warmth washed over him, but he was immediately reminded of the void in his heart from years of his lost relationship. "It seems my prodigal son has returned for a visit."

Brimstone froze in place. He heard the sound of metal hooves – scores of them – pounding against the road.

Sombra continued. "No need to worry, son. I see you there, behind the faded purple building." Brimstone looked at the building next to him and gulped. "My guards will escort you to me. Let's have… a father-son chat."

Within moments, Brimstone saw a legion of guards appear on either side of the alley. They looked lifeless, like suits of armor that only barely knew what a pony should move like, and they all stared through those green slits in their eyes.

Brimstone took a tentative step towards them. The guards didn't move, but he heard Sombra say, "That's it, son. No need to fret." His voice dripped with sarcasm. "I shall see you very soon."

Gathering his courage, Brimstone walked to the end of the alley, and he prepared to face his father for the first time in fourteen years.