• Published 19th Dec 2017
  • 977 Views, 25 Comments

Heir to Darkness - Vivid Syntax



Two decades ago, Sombra succeeded in conquering the Crystal Empire. Now, his estranged son Brimstone must face him and right the wrongs of the past.

  • ...
2
 25
 977

Chapter 11 - The Clang of Swords

Present

Sombra leapt with frightening speed, and Brimstone rushed forward to meet him. 'Disarm him,' he thought. 'We can talk it out. I don't need to kill him.'

They galloped closer and closer. Sombra floated the broadsword with his horn, and Brimstone ran with his wings hitched back, ready to parry. He considered flying, but he knew that leaving his underside vulnerable would be a poor tactical move.

They met, and Sombra swung the broadsword down over his head with a grunt. Brimstone parried with his left wing, and with a downward flap of his right, wheeled around to Sombra's side. He swiped at Sombra's sword, but it floated quickly out of range.

Sombra scoffed. "Disarmament? Really?" The sword swung in a wide arc at body level, and though Brimstone shielded himself, he was knocked off balance and had to recover a few meters away. "Come now, son. There's no armor under this cape. You know this, yet you still choose to be weak!" The sword launched towards Brimstone.

"I'm not weak!" Brimstone lashed his wing out and deflected the blade. "But it doesn't have to end like this. We can talk!"

"Ha! We are talking, son. Unless you're a bit distracted?" Sombra propelled the sword towards Brimstone again, but this time, Brimstone sliced the sword in half. It disappeared in a puff of black smoke. Sombra smiled. "Well, now. You do appear to have some skill. Where in Tartarus did you learn that?"

'Trial by fire,' he thought to himself.