• Published 19th Dec 2017
  • 977 Views, 25 Comments

Heir to Darkness - Vivid Syntax



Two decades ago, Sombra succeeded in conquering the Crystal Empire. Now, his estranged son Brimstone must face him and right the wrongs of the past.

  • ...
2
 25
 977

Chapter 1 - Your Majesty

Present Day

Flanked on both sides by Sombra's guards, Brimstone trod lightly down the long, crystalline hallway. He set his jaw and rotated his shoulders back for the fourth time, but as his heart raced, he slouched again, and his eyes darted to the ponies on either side of him.

Brimstone couldn't stop staring at those hollow, green eyes that never seemed to look anywhere. They were nothing but glowing, green slits in those metal helmets, and if not for the small amount of fur that showed through the spiky, metal armor, Brimstone wouldn't have even known there were ponies inside. Several more guards lined their walkway, while others stood motionless at each door. None of them appeared to breathe.

The hallway was cold and stark, made entirely of dark purple and blue crystals. Brimstone had heard tales of the brightness of the Crystal Empire, how it had seemed so lustrous and beautiful before Sombra had reclaimed his throne. He silently wondered what it would have looked like if Twilight and the other Elements of Harmony had stopped him all those years ago.

He walked down the plush, red carpet, its softness achingly familiar. The guards marched in step on either side of it. Their metal hoof-covers beat against the crystalline floor with a distressingly rhythmic clank.

Brimstone nickered softly, and he adjusted his gray wings as he stole another look at the tool tied to them. At first glance, it appeared that he was wearing normal leather armor, but the wingtips had been replaced with dark, sharp stones that glinted in the castle's dim light. His breathing calmed when he saw the slight glow at the edges of the blades.

Brimstone swallowed his fear and glared at the large, blue doors at the end of the hallway, which stood two stories tall. He and his entourage approached rapidly, deathly quiet, and stopped in front of the entrance. Mechanically, the two guards paused, then lowered their heads and pushed the doors open in perfect synchronicity. The doors made heavy grinding noise as they opened, and soon, not twenty meters ahead of him, Brimstone saw a stallion staring back at him. He had a grey coat and a black mane, just like Brimstone's, though Brimstone's mane was short and ended in red highlights instead of flowing like a sea of dark oil. The stallion opposite him was seated on a throne, and from the moment the doors had opened, his eyes had been squarely on Brimstone.

Brimstone's chest tightened up, and his legs locked into place, even as his heart nearly burst and his gut told him to rush forward in a joyful scream. He fought back tears of happiness and rage all at once.

King Sombra, Emperor of the Crystal Empire, sat on his throne with a venomous smile. His voice dripped with malice as he took in a long, full breath and said, "Welcome home, son."