• Published 16th Dec 2017
  • 2,198 Views, 43 Comments

The Little Pony legend: The Guardians of Harmony - MaggiesHeartLove



Princess Iris and Princess Akari was preparing for the Friendship Festival, which takes an unexpected turn when Tempest Shadow arrives with the Storm King's army! Now, the Guardians will need to travel beyond Equestria in order to save their home

  • ...
6
 43
 2,198

A Mysterious New Friend

A Mysterious New Friend

Applejack's old hat floated along the tranquil river, only to be grabbed by Mai. She rinsed it as best as she could before putting it back onto her head. Her hair and cloths still partly wet from the waterfall. The young firebender stared at her reflection in the waters, recalling the scene where her parents, friends and boyfriend had been captured and she couldn't do anything to stop it.

Iris appeared in the waters, looking equally distraught. The two cousins hugged it out, with Mai releasing a few silent tears that stained Iris's red scarf, which she didn't mind. Mai was allowed to cry as much as anyone.

Mai wiped her tears and smiled in gratitude at Iris's support. The two walked back to a large arched tree trunk where the rest of the guardians had taken shelter under. Their cloths now partly dry, but none of them were in the best shape emotion wise.

Gallant Steed shook his entire body dry, his bangs still damped over his forehead, while Chrysalis adjusted Nori's bangs in a sisterly manner and turned to everyone else.

"Everybody okay?" The changing asked compassionately.

"I think my scales are on backwards." Nori said, feeling delirious. She had been in water her entire life, but she lived in the ocean. They usually had a very limited supply of rapid waterfalls.

"We just got our flanks handed to us by the worst party crasher in the history of party crashers!" Hiro exclaimed. Wet strands of black hair hung over his forehead. "Our Friendship Festival is now a battlefield!"

"Forget the Festival! We gotta go back there and fight!" Chi said, clenching her fists, ready to take down the monsters who imprisoned her family.

Gallant Steed stepped in, being the voice of reason. "Chi, I want to stop them just as much as you do, but they're a nation sized army! Plus, you heard Chrysalis. Those orb things suck on magic, and you saw what they did to the Alicorns and our parents."

"There has to be a way to break those rocks's hold." Mai suggested, turning to the changeling. "Chrysalis, you know about that kind of magic better than any of us. How can we stop it?"

"I…" Chrysalis looked downcast. "I don't know! I don't even know where the stone came from. I just stumbled upon it one day and carved my throne from it. Not to mention, there was something different about those rocks. I mean, it's the same power for sure, but it appears to have been modified somehow. Only a highly skilled alchemist could tamper with the magic of an ancient dark stone like that."

"So, we've got nothing!" Chi said, waving her hands into the air in frustration.

"We need to think of a plan." Gallant said, "And fast."

"We already have one." Akari said, alerting everyone. The alicorn had been staring at her reflection in the waters the entire time, thinking about the sacrifice her parents had done for them. Her voice was more stoic than it normally was, and when that happened it meant Akari was ready for business.

"The Queen."

Hiro face palmed himself, "Oh, yeah! The Queen! Uh, what queen was that again?"

"Leilani told Celestia and Luna to find the Queen of the... "Hippos"." Akari explained, arching an eyebrow at the last word. "Our parents can't. So it's up to us now."

"Uh, hippos? Seriously?" Mai said with a deadpan tone.

"I've heard they're surprisingly graceful for their size." Nori said, "Huh, but they're always hungry."

"Hungry?" Hiro asked.

"Hippos?" Gallant asked, arching an eyebrow while tilting his head.

"They're somewhere south. Past the Badlands." Iris said.

"Then it's not The Hippos you're looking for."

The Guardians all gasped and got into their defensive stances. They had just fallen from a waterfall, and had to see everyone they love get captured by monsters and a mad hornless unicorn. They were not in the mood for anymore surprised.

"Who's there?" Iris demanded to know. Something about that voice sounded.. familiar.

"Aww, forgot about me already, your highness? Ouch!"

The kids all stepped back, startled when some guy suddenly came leaping down from a nearby tree, landing in a four point position without breaking a sweat. He straightened himself, dusting his already ragged old clothes. He was also barefoot, the sandy getting in between his toes.

"And here I thought I had given you a memorable introduction."

Iris's eyes narrowed and the star on her forehead started sparking magic. "You again?!"

Akari's horn glowed as well and she charged at the boy, who slid to the side with ease. Akari landed opposite Hozu, her hooves getting wet in the process. She flared her nostrils, ears pressed hard against her head and wings spread out in an intimidating fashion. She charged again, but the boy nimbly dodged her attempts.

Hozu didn't estimate that Iris was right behind him. She stuck out her leg and caused him to trip, giving Akari free range to land on top his chest, pinning him to the ground. The alicorn snarled, her horn releasing sparks of intense magic, akin to the way Tempest's broken horn did.

"What are you doing here?" Akari demanded to know, "Are you aligned with the Storm King? What's he planning to do with our parents?"

Hozu rose his hand up in surrender, feeling the pony's strong hooves pressing down on his chest. "Whoa, whoa, easy, I like keeping these cloths only casually ragged. Your hooves are tearing up the cloth."

Akari ignored him and stomped her hoof on his chest, knocking the wind out of him. "Talk! What do you know about the The Queen of the Hippos?"

"It's not Hippos. It's Hippogriffs." Hozu said, his voice a bit raspy.

"What are you talking about?" Iris asked, the rest of her friends rallying behind her, all staring down at the stranger.

"You said they're beyond the Badlands, right? That's where they supposedly live."

"How do we know you're not lying?" Mai asked, already pounding her fists threateningly. "On that note, how do you two know him?" she asked Iris and Akari.

"We saw him at the festival earlier today. He was stealing from the stands." Iris said, eyes still burning with anger Hozu could feel the fire literally piercing his skin. Though, he will admit, her eyes did have a lovely shade of violet and she had the most adorable pout when she was furious.

"I don't think he is lying." Gallant Steed said, more calmly as he pondered on the name. "I've heard about them once too. There aren't that many records on Hippogriffs since they live in a land beyond the borders of Equestria."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold up! There's a place beyond Equestria?" Hiro said in disbelief. "I always though this entire realm was Equestria. Like, everything!" He outstretched his arms to prove his point.

"It is a rather large country." Chrysalis said. "It's easy to come to that conclusion."

"Right, what the bug girl said." Hozu pointed his thumb to Chrysalis, who hissed in responce. Despite being a reformed changeling, Chrysalis could still growl and hiss just as fiercely as she could when she was a dark one. Same went for all changelings. They may be a more peaceful race, but they weren't defenseless.

Gallant Steed ignored Hozu and continued. "As I was saying. Hippogriffs are these rare creatures that are half pony, half eagle. Even though they aren't that well known, there are still a few legends that haven't been lost. My grandpa said that, from what little information he managed to uncover, Hippogriffs are a reclusive race. So much so that even finding the feather of one is incredibly rare. But, nobody has ever seen one in thousands of years. Many ponies believed they either went extinct or never existed."

Akari sneered, looming in closer at Hozu's face. "Then how did you find out about them?" she asked. Judging by his clothes, Hozu didn't strike her as the type to be found in a library doing research.

"I've been around. I've heard stories. Like your friend said, there isn't much about them. All I know is that they live south. Where exactly, I have no idea. Now, uh, would you be so kind, Princess, as to remove your hooves from my chest before you crack my ribcage?"

"Not yet." Akari said pressing her hoof harder on his chest, making Hozu groan impatiently. "How did you find us anyway? And how come you weren't captured like the others?"

"Lucky, I guess. When "One Horned Wonder" showed up I high tailed it out of there the chance I got. Barely escaped with my life."

"I don't trust him." Mai said, arms still folded over her chest. "He could be working for Tempest."

"Then why isn't he wearing those tacky uniforms?" Nori asked, gesturing at Hozu, his back still on the sand with Akari on top of him.

Iris narrowed her eyes, focusing intensely upon Hozu. She approached him and turned to her alicorn friend. "Akari, get off of him. I want to try something."

Akari complied, but not without flicking her tail at Hozu's face so hard it left a literal mark on his cheek. Hozu got back up and Iris stood right in front of him. She didn't say a word and placed her two index fingers over his heart, searching his eyes.

Hozu stared at the princess in confusion but dared not question her methods. The intense look in her eyes made his mouth run dry and his words nonexistent. He could feel her searching every inch of his soul by staring directly into his eyes. His cool and collected exterior melted away.

After a few moment, Iris removed her fingers. "He's not lying." she finally said.

Everyone else was silent and Hozu saw this as is chance to make a graceful exit. "Okay, so good luck in getting back your kingdom." His cocky grin returned and he casually slid by Iris. He didn't notice her eyes at his feet. Iris saw how his ankles were hardly touching the sand, as if they were levitating or gliding. Her defensive instincts kicked into maximum overdrive.

"So sorry I couldn't be of much helped, but I've got places to go, stuff to see, you know how it--Whoa!"

Before he could go any farther, Hozu suddenly felt a powerful energy wrap around his waist and yank him tightly. He landed hard on his bottom. How many times was he supposed to get thrown down today?

He looked up and saw that Iris had created a magical lasso, neon blue, and had it wrapped around his waist. Subtle hints of blush creeped up on his cheeks.

"Hey, hey, Princess, take it easy, we have an audience."

Mai, Chrysalis and Nori shuddered in disgust while Iris only gripped the lasso tighter. "I believe you when you say that you're not aligned with the Storm King. But I don't believe you don't know anything else."

"I already said I don't know exactly where the hippogriffs are, only that they're south, beyond Equestria. End of story."

Iris arched an eyebrow. She wasn't buying it. Without blinking, she sent a wave of electrical currents through the lasso, which in turn electrocuted Hozu. His cloths and body were intact, but that sting was incredibly annoying.

"What the heck?!"

"A little something of my own design. A simple convergence spell of alicorn magic and lighting bending."

Mai smiled with pride for her cousin. "Nice!" she gave her a fist pump.

Hozu was far from impressed. "Cute trick. But seriously, what more do you--GAH!" Hozu screamed in pain when another wave of electricity went through his body. "Would you stop that!?"

"I will, once you tell us where we can find the hippogriffs."

"I already told you. I. Don't--OUCH!!" Hozu felt an even stronger wave this time. He panted once it was over. "Okay, okay, I give! I may not know exactly where to find them, but I think I know of a place where you might find a clue or something."

"Where?"

"A place called Klugetown. I've spent a few months there. It's a black market where they sell all kinds of junk, stuff I've never even seen in Equestria. I can't guarantee it, but if you want to find something that can tell you exactly where to find the hippogriffs, that's your best bet right now." Hozu rose his hands in surrender, "Again, a long shot, but that's all I have."

Iris and her friends looked at one another, silently pondering on whether or not to believe him. They all turned their heads, seeing their beloved home overtaken by thick clouds that almost made it impossible to see the once beautifully colorful kingdom of Canterlot.

The images of their parents either being caged or stoned alive flashed before their eyes. It was heartbreaking to see their family, the people and ponies they looked up to for wisdom and guidance, be subdued in such a cruel way.

Akari felt as if her heart hung from her chest. This was their family's day of celebration. Her chance to prove to her mother, and to herself, that she can take royal responsibilities just as seriously as she could a Friendship Problem from the Cutie Map, or fighting an evil monster. Her mother, her entire family, entrusted this responsibility on her. She knew she would need to grow up at some point. And that time was now.

"So, we're really doing this?" Chrysalis asked, her voice sounded serious and frightened. "We're… actually leaving Equestria."

"I'm not even packed!" Nori exclaimed. The very idea of leaving their homeland into uncharted territory terrified her as much as it did everyone else.

Iris took in a deep breath. "I know it's scary, and this is beyond anything we have ever done. But we have to find this queen. She might be our only hope."

Chi surprised Iris by wrapping her arm around her shoulders. "Hey, don't sound so bummed out, girl! We're in this together."

Mai then wrapped her arm around Chi's shoulders, smiling and nodding in agreement. "We got your back."

Hiro pounded his fists into the air, "Guardians of Harmony to the rescue!"

"I'm ready to save Equestria!" Nori cheered, "Again!"

"Let's do it!" Chrysalis did a few air ships, her sparkling insect wings shimmering like diamonds in the dim sunlight.

Gallant Steed wrapped his hoof around Akari's, making her smile in relief. Of course neither she nor Iris would have to go on this journey alone. As long as they stuck together, there was nothing they couldn't handle. They were the Guardians of Harmony, the sons, daughters and apprentices of heroes that united the worlds. They got this!

Hozu stood by, watching the heartwarming scene play out. He kept his arms crossed over his chest, but listened to their conversation with subtle interest. He cleared his throat and ran his fingers through his white colored hair. "Yeah, that's all really sweet and all, so if you would be so kind as to untie me--"

"Not so fast." Iris said, gripping the rope tightly in her hand.

"Well, I'd go even faster if you'd let me go."

"Oh, believe me, I'd be more than happy to. But you're the only one who knows where Klugetown is."

Hozu's eyes widened. "I don't like where this is going."

"You take us there, and after we find what we're looking for, then we'll let you go. I'll even forget about the whole Festival thing."

"Ha! Forget it! I'm not some tour guide. Find some other--Whoa!" In the time it took him to blink, Hozu was pressed against the side of a tree by Iris, using only one hand. He blinked, unsure if to feel intimidated or… impressed.

"Listen, pretty boy!"

Intimidated. Definitely intimidated.

"I don't like this arrangement anymore than you do. But in case you didn't realize, our home is under siege right now, and if this Storm King's goons were able to conquer Canterlot in thirty minutes, I don't even want to imagine what they will do to the rest of Equestria, the Four Nations or the Spirit World! So here's how it's going to go down. You either help us get to this town, or…" The light from the rope intensified as Iris held it up close to his face. "I keep zapping you until your brain pops out. Take it or leave it."

The other Guardians didn't flinch at seeing Iris bringing down the hammer. She had grown more and more fierce as time went on, and there was no penetrating her poker face when lives were at stake.

While Iris did a perfectly good job at keeping her cool, she did notice that Hozu's eyes were of a warm shade of brown that reminded her of caramel. And, despite his ragged clothing, he did look naturally fit. Still rather slim, but healthy enough that he could handle himself in a fight if he wanted to.

She quickly pushed these thoughts aside, the electrical currents around her rope growing even stronger, which made Hozu gulp. "So, if I take you to Klugetown, you let me go? No catch?"

"I promise. And when I promise something, I never, ever break that promise." She saw the suspicion in his eyes. "Ever!"

"It's true, she never does." Hiro said, poking his head in between the two.

Hozu groaned. "Alright, fine! I'll take you to Klugetown. But after that, I'm disappearing."

"Fine by me." Iris stepped back and Hozu took the lead.

"I should warn you though, it's not exactly a place for a bunch of rich city kids."

The other Elements all scoffed in offense. "Hey! We "city kids" can handle ourselves just fine, thank you very much!" Nori said, sticking her nose in the air in a very Rarity-like fashion.

"Uh, south, Nori?" Gallant Steed pointed in the opposite direction as to where Nori was heading.

"I knew that!" Nori said, still with her nose in the air as she switched directions.

"Right this way, Guardians of Harmony." Hozu took the lead, only to stop midway when he felt the tightness of the rope around his waist. He stared at Iris in annoyance. "You're not gonna let go of that rope, are you?"

"I'm not taking any chances." Iris replied confidently.

"Of course, should have seen it coming. Princess Avatar, playing by the rules."

Hiro leaned in closer to Iris and whispered. "Wow. This guy's got you pegged pretty good."

A low growl was heard from her throat and Hiro smiled nervously before zipping away. The team started off on their journey, with Hozu as their, very reluctant, guide.

"Hey, anybody up for a game of "I Spy"?" Hiro asked. The rest of the team groaned. "No, really! Come on, I spy with my little eye something that is pink. No takers? It's you, Akari!"

(~)

The path that led towards the borders of Equestria were longer than they expected. After all, the country was incredibly vast, it was difficult to even imagine there was more beyond it.

Iris and Akari recalled the stories of Scorpan and his brother Tirek, the latter who once tried to steal the magic from all before their mothers vanquished him. They followed Hozu's directions, going through a large collection of forests, which made the kids feel more at home than anything.

Hozu moved a large leaf out of their way, the trees overarching one another in an abnormal fashion. Now this was unlike anything they had ever seen in Equestria. They were definitely close to the borders.

Uncertainty swept over them. What would await them beyond the borders of the only home they ever knew? Was this how Twilight Sparkle and her friends felt when they entered Korra's world for the first time? Would Klugetown really be unlike anything they had ever seen? Would they even know about Equestria or its inhabitants?

"So, what's at this Klugetown anyways?" Akari asked, her hoof stepping on some random twig, her eyes squinting at the small bits of sunlight that peeked through the leafs above them.

"Just don't expect anyone to be looking for a new best friend. It's filled with the worst of the worst. Everything, and everyone can, and will, have a price." Hozu stopped for a moment, crunching down to meet Nori's level. "I know a few folks who would love to have some genuine merpony scales." he said with a sleazy grin, trying to intimidate her.

Nori, rather than tremble, only flared her nostrils at him. Chrysalis swooped in, standing protectively beside the merpony. "If you're trying to scare us you're going to have to do a better job than that."

"Yeah, we once faced off against Koh the Face Stealer in the Dark Spirit Realm." Mai said with pride.

Hori then started counting the rest with his fingers. "Not to mention that one time we fought a fifty foot monster version of Chrysalis, that time we got trapped inside a magic mirror, that sandworm, that manticor king, that one swamp monster, helped restore the Breezie village, and a bunch of other stuff that could go on for days if I listened them one by one."

"Bottom line; we can handle whatever this Klugetown can dish out." Chi said, one hand on her hip and flipping her ponytail over her shoulder with the other.

"Plus, we're not going back home until we find this queen." Iris said, her hand still holding onto the glowing rope that kept Hozu from pulling a fast one. She still wasn't one hundred percent sold on trusting him just yet. He was swift and quick, that much she knew.

"Like, "never"? And what if you don't find her?" Hozu asked.

"We will. We have to." Akari said, sprinkling the last words with more assertiveness. They had to succeed. They couldn't afford to mess up. Everyone's lives depended on them.

"But what if you don't? Like I said, Klugetown is an option not a guarantee solution to your problem." Hozu's voice sounded almost genuinely concerned. Almost.

"It's what we've got right now, and that's good enough for us." Gallant Steed said, "We'll take whatever we can get to save our families."

Hozu only sighed, hands on his hips as if already giving up on the conversation entirely. Iris noticed this and something tug in her stomach, making her feel uneasy. He looked as if he would rather be anywhere else than engaged in this kind of conversation.

"Don't you even care about what happens to our home?"

"You mean your home." Hozu corrected, not even looking at her.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm just helping you out to get my freedom back. I'm not in it for the 'adventure' or the 'helping' or anything."

"You're kidding, right?" Mai stepped forward. "This monster is terrorizing our friends and families and you act like it's no big deal!"

Hozu took a step back, dawning his casual, careless attitude once more. "I'm not saying you guys don't have a reason to care, I'm just saying that I don't."

Iris, Akari and the others all dropped their jaws, repulsed at the words that came out of his mouth. He didn't have a reason to care? He was aware that, if the Storm king came to Harmony City, or anywhere else in the human world, he would have no place to go, right? Their own parents got trapped and stoned right in front of them, and all in an effort to make sure the kids got out safe and sound. Everything they knew and loved was at stake, and this guy was acting like it was just another typical Tuesday.

"See, I'm a free spirit." Hozu continued. "I don't tie myself down to anyone. I go wherever the winds take me."

"So you just drift around not caring about anyone but yourself?!" Iris's voice rose. Sparks of magic already spewing from the star on her forehead.

"It's not as bad as you make it out to be, Teacup." Hozu said, casually touching her chin with his thumb. Iris angrily slapped it away, feeling the heat of fire already tempting to form at her finger tips. The urge to burn those platinum tips from his head was growing with each passing second, ready to erupt into an explosion of heat and rage.

But while Iris was feeling anger, Hozu let it roll off his back like it was nothing more than common rain water.

(Dancing Through Life from Wicked)

Hozu:

The trouble with your country is

They always try to teach the wrong lesson

Believe me, I've been kicked out of enough of them to know

Nori and Gallant rolled their eyes at this. They found that statement very, very easy to believe.

Hozu suddenly manifested in between Mai and Hiro, wrapping his arms around both of them, much to their surprise, but more to Mai's annoyance. Despite the rope around his waist, Hozu could still move around enough to dance and sing.

They want you to become less callow

Less shallow

But I say: why invite stress in?

Stop studying strife

And learn to live

The unexamined

Life…

Hozu flipped over a boulder, a soft wind picking up, which Iris and Akari noticed. Odd, there wasn't a wind there before. The winds blew away a few leafs, letting in a ray of sunshine over Hozu, resembling a spotlight as he continued to explain his philosophy to the Guardians.

Dancing through life

Skimming the surface

Gliding where turf is smooth

Hozu slid off the rock and poked Gallant Steed's horn as a way to annoy him, then proceeded to take Chi by the hand and ambushing her into a short dance where he dipped her and let her fall flat on her bottom. The wisp turned red with rage.

Life's more painless

For the brainless

Why think too hard?

When it's so soothing

Hozu did move a few leafs, letting the Guardians walk on first. The pathway was becoming clearer and they could see the clear sunlight on the other side. At least they were sure of one thing; Hozu was determined to get them to Klugetown, if only to break free from them once they arrived.

Dancing through life

No need to tough it

When you can sluff it off as I do

Nothing matters

But knowing nothing matters

It's just life

So keep dancing through...

Iris, Akari, Nori, Gallant, Chrysalis, Chi and Mai all shot him angry glares, but Hiro, while not fully on board with his words, couldn't help but find the song enjoyable and even danceable. Mai slapped him in the stomach, causing him to stop.

Speaking as a fun-loving guy himself, Hiro could relate to wanting to live life to the fullest. But even he knew that he and his friends had a responsibility to their families and to their three worlds. So in short, Hiro was enjoying the tune catchy to listen to, he just wasn't sold by it's message.

Dancing through life

Swaying and sweeping

And always keeping cool

Hozu empathized this by walking near Iris, stroking his hair in a flirtatious manner which only resulted in Iris electrocuting him.

Life is fraught-less

When you're thoughtless

Those who don't try

Never look foolish

Hozu recovered quickly and then grabbed Akari in a side hug. The alicorn growled and attempted to bite him. He moved to the other side and she bite nothing but air.

Dancing through life

Mindless and careless

Make sure you're where less trouble is rife

Woes are fleeting

Blows are glancing

When you're dancing

Through life!

"Unbelievable." Iris shook her head in disapproval.

"I know I am, but what are you?" Hozu said, once again, doing everything in his power to annoy her. Well, he was messing with the wrong Avatar.

Iris:

Right now we've got a mission to do

To find the queen and go fight

We won't stop 'til it's right

Hozu:

Come on, just give it a whirl

Iris:

I'm not that kind of girl!

I won't quit right on the spot, no

You may be content, but I'm not

Hozu:

All I'm saying, it's not a sin to go…

Dancing Through Life

From dawn until dusk

If only because dust is what we come to

Nothing matters

But knowing nothing matters

It's just life...

So keep dancing through...

Hozu continued his performance, much to the disinterest of the others. Hiro was still dancing to the rhythm, only to be brought back to his senses when Chrysalis slapped him upside the head.

"What? It's a catchy number!" Hiro said in protest while rubbing his head.

Dancing Through Life

Mindless and careless

Make sure you're where less trouble is rife

And the strange thing

Your life could end up changing

While you're dancing

Through life!

Chi pouted her lips in thought. "Yeah…not seeing the appeal."

"Well, it's not a life meant for everyone." Hozu said with a shrug. Iris rolled her eyes and groaned.

"At least his geography is on point." Gallant Steed said, getting the other's attention. They all gasped at the vast, uncharted land before them. They all took one last look at the very last bit of Equestria one more time.

"This is it."

"You guys coming or what?" Hozu called out, already stepping foot on the sand.

Iris, Akari and everyone all looked at one another. They didn't need any words to understand how they were feeling. They were scared.

Akari placed her hook on Iris's shoulder, who in turn took Chi's hand, who took Hiro's who then took Mai's. Chrysalis had her hoof around Nori, as did Gallant Steed.

Taking in simultaneous breaths they all took one, massive set forward, for the very first time, into the land beyond Equestria.

(~)

Author's Note:

Let me tell you guys, Hozu's backstory went through various changes, most of them just ideas and possibilities from the info we got from the MLP movie. At one point, he was to be a member of Captain Celaeno's crew (back when I believed the adventure would be a high seas one). And at one point he was going to have a male hippogriff companion named Stefan. But, after hearing that there would be actual Hippogriffs in the film, and to avoid any issues as well as juggling more characters than needed (and that was before I had Chrysalis become part of the Next Generation group), Stefan was scrapped. Which, in all honesty wasn't a complete loss. I had only come up with the idea of him, but his character and backstory had yet to have been developed. 

For personality, I always envisioned him as a Flynn Rider/Nick Wilde type of guy, but I also got some inspiration from characters from Voltron Legendary Defenders. I think you'll understand the further you get to know him. 

Well, onto the next adventure!