• Published 16th Dec 2017
  • 2,198 Views, 43 Comments

The Little Pony legend: The Guardians of Harmony - MaggiesHeartLove



Princess Iris and Princess Akari was preparing for the Friendship Festival, which takes an unexpected turn when Tempest Shadow arrives with the Storm King's army! Now, the Guardians will need to travel beyond Equestria in order to save their home

  • ...
6
 43
 2,198

Space Between

*(~)*

1 Corinthians 13:7 ~

Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

*(~)*




Space Between

The Guardians gasped for air once they reached the surface of the water. Iris, Mai and Hiro's tails had disappeared, their normal cloths returning and Akari and Gallant had reverted back into their normal pony forms. Chi and Chrysalis, though not having experienced the first transformation, were forced back into their original forms by the pearl's magic. The only ones who didn't gasp for air were Hozu and Nori.

The team swam up to the shoreline of a small jagged rock island that surround the borders of Mount Aris. Everyone minus Nori and Hozu panted and dried themselves. Iris, Hiro and Mai's cloths were soaked with salt water while Chi changed into her wolf form to shake herself dry before shifting back.

The skies turned gray, a thick fog surrounded the bay. The dreary weather matched the children's current mood. Iris panted, her hair dripping wet until she waterbended herself dry. The saddened Avatar sat on the side of the shoreline. She saw Hozu approach her, his cloths and hair already dry.

"Iris. Please, let me explain. I--" Hozu was truck down when Mai stood in between him and her cousin, throwing a punch directly at his pretty-boy face. The force was enough to send Hozu tumbling backwards. He rubbed his jaw once he was on the ground. Her knuckles felt like a ton of bricks.

"You stay away from her!" Mai snapped, knuckles clenched, shielding her cousin from the supposed traitor. "Do you have any idea what you've done?! The Queen was going to say yes! We followed Iris's plan that's what made her realize we were worth saving! Now, thanks to you, we've lost any chance of saving Equestria!"

"Mai, stop!" Iris came in between her and Hozu, who was still rubbing his face from Mai's punch. "Let him explain."

"Explain what? You saw what happened, we all did!" Mai marched towards Hozu, who had now stood up, yet stared at the young woman in terror. She was a couple heads shorter than him, and yet she carried a truly intimidating presence that rivaled Queen Novo herself. "That was our last chance. Our last chance and you messed it up, just like everything else!"

"Enough!" Iris held her cousin by the shoulders. "Let's just hear him out."

Mai angrily removed her cousin's hands. "Snap out of it, Iris! Everything that's gone wrong was because of him!"

"Not everything. He tried to warn us about Capper, remember?"

"Who he stole from!" Mai reminded her. "He's just as much a criminal as Capper was!"

"He saved you from dying from Tempest's blast!"

"And his spell went out of control and nearly killed all of us in the process! Not to mention, if it wasn't for him, Tempest wouldn't have found us! Who knows what she has done to Celaeno and her crew by now!"

Chi gasped at the thought. She didn't even think about what Tempest would have done to them. She assumed she'd let them go but… that unicorn was a lot of things. Merciful was not one of them.

"He's unstable, and dangerous. For all we know, he was going to use the pearl to turn himself human!"

"We don't know that!" Iris exclaimed. "Hozu is our friend, he would never--!"

"We met him two days ago and you already think you know him? This whole infatuation is clouding your head, Iris!"

"And you're letting your anger cloud yours!"

"Stop it! Both of you!" Hozu shouted, causing the girls to cease their arguing. He didn't know where that outburst came from, but he couldn't stand seeing these two girls--cousins, no less--to fight like this because of him.

Iris took advantage of the temporary calmness and turned directly towards the half-nymph hybrid. "Hozu. Tell me the truth. Were you going to take the pearl or not?"

Hozu was just about to give her his answer until he saw Mai's eyes. Filled with irrefutable rage, while the others stared at him with looks of confusion or concern. They all kept their distance, save for Iris. Chrysalis had her hoof wrapped protectively around Nori, while Chi kept a neutral expression. Gallant Steed and Hiro looked confused and worried, but Akari's face was the one that stung Hozu's heart the most.

He looked at her with anticipation, but the alicorn princess was frozen in place. Her mind was going at a million places a minute, her eyes shifting from Hozu, to Iris, to Mai to everyone else. Akari stepped forward, her mouth quivering as if she were about to speak. But, her voice failed her.

Everyone's eyes were on Hozu, while Akari stood trembling from the inside out. It was clear that she had never been in a position like this before. Not once in her entire life.

Hozu could have easily explained to them what happened, they would have understood but… what would that do to Akari? No matter what he did, he was only going to make matters worse. If he told them he did try to steal the pearl they would push him away just like everyone else did. But, if he told them his true intentions, then there would still be a rift between the group.

Was it worth it? They were friends, they would be forgiving, right? But… he just didn't have the heart to do it.

Hozu would rather have them be angry at him than with each other and risk any chance of their Friendship being torn apart. Their Friendship was the only thing they had left. As for Hozu… he's lived his entire life without anyone, maybe it was better that way.

After all, look what caring for others had brought him? Nothing but misery, and despite everything Iris had said to him that still didn't change. If this was what friendship was for someone like him, then Iris was wrong. Hozu would be better off alone. Always have been, always will be.

"Guys… I--" Just as Akari had decided to speak up, Hozu cut her short… by chuckling.

"What's so funny?" Nori asked, surprised by Hozu's sudden, and rather disturbing change in demeanor.

"Nothing?" Hozu replied, looking rather calm despite the whole ordeal. "As for your question, Princess…" he looked at Iris. Beautiful violet eyes shimmering with anticipation at his answer. "…What you see is what you get."

The Avatar's heart dropped like a stone and Mai's jaw clenched, her teeth bare. The rest of the Guardians gasped at his responce, but Akari was the most startled.

"Hozu, no!" The alicorn protested.

"Hey, it's fine. It's fine." Hozu insisted, but even now his cool-guy persona was already wavering.

"No, it's not fine." Iris's voice trembled, her eyes already misty with the tears taking form on the corner of her eyes. "I thought, you--"

"You thought wrong, Iris!" Hozu snapped, his facade now completely gone. Iris opened her mouth to speak again, but Hozu stopped her by diving into the waters before she could say another word.

"Hozu, wait!" She cried out, but it was too late. Hozu had disappeared underneath the waves.

Akari galloped towards the shoreline, calling out to him. "Hozu, come back! Please!" she cried out.

"It's for the best." Mai said stoically. "He betrayed us."

"No he didn't! I did!" Akari's wings spread out, her voice louder than ever before.

Everyone, including Iris, gasped in horror at the revelation. "What are you talking about?" Gallant asked, his ears dropping. What did Akari meant by saying she had betrayed them and not Hozu.

Akari dropped her head in shame. "Hozu saw me trying to grab the pearl and pushed me out of the way before the jellyfish would grab me. He was only trying to protect me."

The alicorn princess couldn't bare to stand any longer and sat down. Her heart felt heavy against her chest. As if Iris didn't feel broken enough already, now she has come to realize it was not the boy she liked who had jeopardized their chances of saving their families… but her own best friend?!

Mai felt like the biggest idiot. This whole time, she had blamed Hozu for what happened, but he was innocent the whole time. She accused him of being the source of all their misfortunes only to realize he was trying to save Akari from getting caught…. and that's why he left now. He didn't want Akari to take the blame for something he didn't do. He didn't want them to be angry with her, so he sacrificed his friendship with them for her.

Iris was right, Hozu really wasn't as bad as she thought.

Chi, Nori, Hiro, Chrysalis and Gallant Steed were downright mortified. Hiro gasped in horrible realization, "You didn't really want to show Sky Star the best time ever, did you? You used Iris's plan as a distraction!"

"Akari, why would you do that?" Iris asked, her voice trembling, her heart feeling like a knife had juts sliced it in two. She thought Hozu's "betrayal" was the most painful thing she could have ever felt, but she was wrong. It was Akari's.

"I'm sorry, but I couldn't risk it! Hozu was right, this isn't Equestria!" Akari snapped as she stood back up. "We can't just dance around with con artists, make rainbow clouds in the sky, and expect everything to work out! It's not enough! We are not enough!"

"No, Akari. We stuck together." Iris said, her voice firm and strong. "We were going to get the help we needed. Don't you remember what we promised when we became the Elements? Our mission is to spread Friendship, and that's what we've been doing! I know the journey hasn't been easy, but we've come this far already! We could have gotten the Queen's help but, for some reason you took matters into your own hooves! Why? Akari, why?!"

"I didn't know what else to do!" Akari snapped. It was so rare for these two to fight. "I'm not you, Iris!"

"What are you talking about?"

"Ever since we were kids, you've been always better at this princess stuff than I was! All I did was frolic around in the Everfree Forest and now I can't even keep up with you! You always know just what to say to all those diplomats and politicians while I couldn't even get a word out!"

"So what? What does that got to do with any of this?"

"I've always treated our duties as Elements as some grand adventure, excited to face the next biggest challenge, but I never took my responsibilities as a Princess seriously! The Friendship Festival was my chance to finally make up for all those years of procrastination and I failed!"

Iris's eyes softened at Akari's reveal. She knew her friend had been feeling the pressure of the Festival, but she assumed Akari would just trust in her friends and everything would work out. Carrying the weight of responsibility used to be Iris's thing, but Akari was always so confident and sure of herself, and even if she wasn't the most diplomatically eloquent pony, Iris would have been more than happy to help her. Yet, Akari didn't seem to comprehend that for some reason.

"I couldn't even save my own mother, what if I couldn't save you or anyone else? The Storm King is unlike any foe we have ever faced, I couldn't risk loosing any of you guys the same way I lost my parents!"

"They're not lost, Akari." Iris said, speaking softly, "We can still save them."

"How?! I've ruined our only chance! I tried to be smart, I tried to be rational and look where it got us! I couldn't even properly negotiate with Queen Novo! You had to step in and save my tail! Again!" Akari was already sobbing. She felt so ashamed she couldn't even accept her own boyfriend's invite for a hug. "I thought I was good at this… but I'm not. I ruined everything. There's no chance to save Equestria now. And it's all my fault!"

Akari couldn't stay any longer. She spread out her wings and flew off to the high peek of one of the rocks, ignoring Gallant Steed calling out her name. The other Guardians knew that what Akari did was wrong. Attempting to steal the seaponies' pearl, and letting Hozu take the blame like that was uncalled for. It wasn't like Akari to do something like this, but at the same time they should have realized she was going through so much pressure.

Akari was always the confident, level-headed princess who knew how to take on an Ursa Minor is she wanted to. She knew just as many spells as her mother, was the strongest warrior they knew, and she was always Iris's source of support and confidence. Maybe, for some, it was easier to give advice than to follow it themselves.

The two princess's exchange reminded them that they weren't fourteen-year-olds anymore. Their mindsets have evolved, maybe not as drastically as one would expect, but they have come a long way. Maybe it had finally dawned on Akari that, other than being a fierce warrior, she was also a Princess and she would have to deal with things she didn't always take seriously as a kid. The Festival was her first time to finally do that, and it was destroyed by the Storm King's army. Nobody could have predicted that, but Akari, being the protective type that she was, felt it was her responsibility to see to it that they succeeded at their mission.

Realizing this, the anger they should have felt faded away, replaced by only concern and regret. Gallant Steed kept his eyes up to where Akari had flown. "I'll go and talk to her."

"No, Gallant." Iris said, stoping him. "I think I'm the one who should talk with her."

Gallant looked into Iris's eyes an immediately knew that she was right. Gallant Steed was always an understanding boyfriend, and he understood when it needed to be Iris who had to speak with Akari instead of him. He nodded and Iris spread out her wings, following her friend, while the others stayed behind.

(~)

Iris quickly found Akari, sitting dejectedly on a rock. Her mane falling limply over the left side of her neck, her head hung low. She sat cross legged beside her best friend.

"I'm not angry." Iris said compassionately.

"I know you're not." Akari replied, unmoving. "You don't hold grudges. But it is my fault."

Iris didn't say anything in responce to that. The alicorn felt guilty enough as it was. "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For being blind. I should have understood what you were going through, but I really thought that you'd trust in us."

"It's not that I don't trust you, Petals. I felt responsible."

"Akari, none of us saw the invasion coming. It wasn't your fault, it was nobody's fault. Even if we did fight back, we would have been trapped by those cages. We had no other choice, you can't blame yourself for that."

Akari lifted her head, but her tear filled eyes were directed at the ocean. The waves crashing against the rocks. "I know you're right." she sniffed. "But I couldn't just treat this like I did all our other missions. I treated them like fun and games."

"And that's one of many things I've always admired about you, Kars." Iris said, gently lifting Akari's chin to face her and wiping the tears with her thumb. "Nobody was more excited for a new adventure like you were. Your explorer record rivals even Daring Do herself."

"But, you're so knowledgeable about this politics stuff. Mom always told me, "Akari, pay attention! You'll need to know this one day!", and I always said, "Yeah, yeah, Mom, I'll get on it.", but I never did. I didn't care about it enough, I only cared about the thrill rides and being there for you. Protecting you was something I took very seriously, but look at you now. You've grown into your own, while I feel like I'm trailing behind. You don't need me anymore."

Iris couldn't helped by chuckle at the absurdity. "Akari, that is so not true! I will always need you. Ever since we were kids, you always encouraged me to try new things. Whenever I had doubts, you were always there to lift me back up. Even when I made a mistake, you never turned away from me. I'm who I am today because of you. You have and always will be the best part of me."

Iris took Akari's hooves into her hands. "So, you still need some work in the diplomacy part, who what? You can bet I will always be there to help you just as you've helped me. Remember our first mission? When we went into the Dark Spirit Realm to save our parents? And I was so blinded by my own ambition that I couldn't see all the good that came from you guys?"

Akari's eyes widened and she wanted so badly to slap herself in the face. "Oh… my… gosh… You've turned me into you!"

Iris laughed out loud. "But, while I was more concerned about being a hero like my mom, you were worried about letting everyone down, and you didn't think your old self was enough to help us this time. You tried to be the adult you believed you needed to be, but you've turned a blind eye to all the good that came out of this journey. It's no different than what I did."

"I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take that." Akari said, starting to sound like her old self again, despite her puffy eyes.

"It means, even if you still have much to learn, you're already aware of the fact that you need to learn more. The old Akari would have shrugged it off and leave it for another day, but you didn't. Not anymore. Just as the old me would have probably done what you did just now, but I now know to trust in The Magic of Friendship."

"Something I should have remembered."

"Well, sometimes we need to learn the hard lessons on our own. Especially for action oriented gals like us."

That joke was enough to make Akari laugh. The two friends laughed out loud, louder than they had throughout this entire journey. Akari still shed tears, but these were tears of joy.

Everything became so clear now. Akari had believed she was falling behind in development but, as it turns out, she was growing up just as much as Iris was. She didn't think her old adventurous self was enough anymore to be a good princess, but if it helped Iris become the leader she was now then… maybe Akari didn't need to loose that part of herself in order to grow up after all. And Iris was right, Akari wasn't the kind to casually brush these things off anymore. She had grown, and it was because of Iris's influence, and with her guidance Akari will become a wiser princess as well.

Much like their mothers before them; they have become better princesses simply by knowing each other.

(Space Between from Descendants 2)

Iris:

I know just what you

Are going through

Pretending you were fine

You didn't have to hide

Akari:

I didn't want to let you down

But the truth is out

It was tearing me apart

Should have told you from the start

I know I have to grow

Iris:

And I will be with you

Akari:

Even though we've changed

Iris:

Nothing has to change

Iris and Akari:

You can find me in the space between

When two worlds come to meet

I'll never be out of reach

'Cause you're a part of me so you can find me in the space between

You'll never be alone

No matter where you go

We can meet

In the Space Between

As the two best friends sang, they recalled all the times they shared together. From their adventure facing Ronin, to all those small moments with their friends and their first quest to save their parents. Through it all, Iris and Akari faced them together. Their bond was similar to their mothers' in a lot of ways, but also different in may ways as well. But, probably the biggest similarity they had was that they brought out the best in each other.

Akari looked at her own reflection on the surface of a shinny stone, where Iris manifested beside her.

Akari:

Nothing can stay the same

It's growing pains

Iris:

Be proud of all the scars

They make you who you are

Oh, oh, oh

We all get led astray

Akari:

But I will always find you

Iris:

Nothing has to change

Akari:

Even though we've changed

Iris and Akari:

You can find me in the space between

When two worlds come to meet

I'll never be out of reach

'Cause you're a part of me so you can find me in the space between

You'll never be alone

No matter where you go

We can meet

In the Space Between

The waves appeared to reflect their singing. When they reached high notes, the waves crashed harder against the rocks. The shimmering sea foam reached even the highest peak to where they were as the seagulls flew above their heads.

Akari:

There are no words left to say

Iris:

I know you've got to find your place

Akari:

But this is not the end

Iris:

You're part of who I am

Iris and Akari:

Even if we're worlds apart

Still in my heart it will always be

You and me!

Yeah!

The two pressed their hands, hooves and foreheads together as magical sparkles spiraled around them, enveloping them in the magic of their friendship. No matter what trials or mistakes came their way, there was no force on this or any other world that could break apart the friendship they had.

As they sang, Gallant Steed, who had decided to come up and check on them, stopped on his tracks and smiled at the two best friends sharing their moment.

Iris:

You can find me in the space between

Iris and Akari:

When two worlds come to meet

Iris:

I'll never be out of reach

Akari:

I'll never be out of reach

Iris and Akari:

'Cause you're a part of me so you can find me in the space between

Iris:

You'll never be alone

Akari:

No matter where you go

Iris and Akari:

We can meet

In the Space Between

Yeah!

Akari:

No mater where you go

Iris:

No matter where you go

Iris and Akari:

We can meet…

In the Space Between

Iris and Akari embraced, letting a few tears roll down from their eyes. But it wasn't sadness that filled their hearts. Only love.

Gallant smiled and shed a tear. Despite their situation, it was nice to know that their Friendship still lived on. It was enough to bring him a glimmer of hope.

Suddenly, his ears perked upwards at the sound of something behind him. Before he had time to react, something grabbed him, covering his mouth. The sound of struggle was enough to alarm the princesses, who gasped upon seeing one of the Storm Creatures with Gallant as his prisoner. His cries were muffled against the brute's massive arm.

Akari and Iris quickly took on their stances, ready to fight. They both unleashed a simultaneous magical blast, but their attacks were deflected by the solid surface of the dark crystalized stone material of the cage that had just incarcerated the two. Their magic came out in electrical currents which were absorbed into the cage's material.

The cage was being lifted up from the ground, with the two princesses inside. Gallant Steed managed to break free of the creature's hold by blasting at his arm, but his magic had no effect on the cage. The Storm creature left Gallant Steed, not seeing the young unicorn as much of a threat and left to get back onto the massive airship that was pulling the caged princess inside.

It was Tempest's ship.

Akari looked down, crying out her boyfriend's name. "Gallant!"

"Akari! Iris!"

But it was too late. The Princesses were now at the mercy of Tempest Shadow.

(~)