• Published 15th Dec 2017
  • 14,074 Views, 779 Comments

Sunset Among Shadows - RedPegasus



Because of Anon-A-Miss Sunset is abandoned by everyone, so she decides to start a new life, among shadows, she will seek happiness, but what will happen with the magic of friendship?

  • ...
47
 779
 14,074

Problems in Crystal

That Tuesday morning, things felt different, and the reason soon became clear to Sunset.

Every student’s gaze is on her as she walks down the hall. Some linger on her, others last only a couple of seconds before breaking off, but not a single student fails to stare at her.

"Ugh, this is the last thing I wanted,"Sunset thinks. She walks with a neutral expression, though deep down, butterflies dance in her stomach."Calm down, Sunset. It'll pass. Everyone will forget about everything soon. Just keep calm and let the gossip die by itself."

She arrives at her locker and prepares to change her books.

"Sunset Shimmer."

The mention of her name almost makes her jump in fright, but she manages to stay calm. Turning around, she found herself with Indigo Zap, the girl she had seen Lightning Dust with the previous day.

"Indigo Zap, captain of the soccer team. A pleasure."Indigo extends her hand in greeting. Sunset hesitates a moment but decides not to be discourteous.

"Sunset Shimmer,"she introduces.

"I know. I saw you with Lightning Dust yesterday after school. You sure taught her a lesson."

"It was an accident!"Sunset exclaims nervously, kicking herself at her tone, like a child trying to convince her mother that the broken vase wasn’t her fault.

"Accident or not, you know how to defend yourself without doing any real damage,"says Indigo with a smile."You’re pretty quick on your feet. If you haven't joined any clubs yet, how about joining a team? We have soccer, tennis, basketball, swimming, and many others. Someone with your skill would be valuable in our ranks. Think about it."

Indigo winks to Sunset, then walks away, leaving Sunset a bit surprised."She didn't even care that I hit her friend."

"Is it really true?!"

Again, Sunset had to force herself to contain her scream. She turned to see Sonata looking at her with great astonishment. Both look at each other in silence, before Sonata asks again,"Well, is it true?"

"It what true?"Sunset asks.

"That you beat Lightning Dust in a fight!"

Sunset steps back a little and looks around frantically to make sure no one is giving them much attention."It wasn't a fight. She just attacked me, and I reacted without thinking, but we didn't fight!"she tries to defend herself.

"It sounds like a fight to me, and it sounds like you won!"Sonata exclaims.

"Stop yelling!"

Sonata ignores her and continues,"I’ve heard of Lightning Dust. She’s one of the best athletes here. She’s strong and fast, but she has a bad temper. Even the guys are afraid of her!"

Sunset tries not to pay attention."Look, I just don’t want to talk about her."

"That sucks, because the whole school is talking about it."

As if rehearsed, several more students cast their glances at Sunset, who sighs."I know.”

"Hey, look on the bright side: You're famous now."

"That's the problem. I don't want to be famous."

"Why not? Being famous is super! Everyone admires you and loves you, and… Oh, I miss those times."

Sunset ignores the dreamy look of the former mermaid’s face and instead says,"Look, I'm not interested in being famous. I just want to be another random student, one whose name no one knows."

Sonata looks at her curiously, and then puts on a pensive look."Um, that'll be hard, because I know your name. Oh! I can try to forget it. Aria says I always forget things, so I’m sure I could forget your name if I really try."

Sonata closing her eyes and concentrates, her hands squeezing her temples. She utters a strained sound as her face takes on a reddish tone from the effort.

A tired expression adorning her face, Sunset sighs and says,"Sonata…"

The former siren drops her arms and releases her breath, returning her face to its normal color."Ugh, forgetting things is hard. Oh, wait! Maybe I don’t have to forget it! I just have to not use your name. Wait, but what will I call you?"

"Sonata,"Sunset snaps.

"I got it!"Sonata exclaims with joy."I'll give you a nickname! Nicknames are fun! Aria always calls me ‘stupid’ or ‘idiot’ or ‘the worst’... Well, those aren’t the best nicknames, but yours will be great!"

At this point, Sunset struggles not to growl too loudly."Sonata."

Sonata continues to not notice Sunset as she lists,"Let's see, how about ‘Sunny’? ‘Sunshine’? No, too close. ‘Set’? ‘Settie’?"

"Sonata."

"Oh, maybe ‘Flamey’? For your hair and—"

Her patience at an end, Sunset tightly grabs Sonata’s chin and forces the siren to look at her."Sonata, shut up!"

Sonata finally stopped talking in surprise, letting Sunset speak."Forget the nicknames. I'm just Sunset."

"But you said—"

"And forget the fight!"Sunset interrupts."Don’t worry about the gossip. Sooner or later, the school will have something more interesting to talk about."

"Okie dokie!"Sonata chirps. Sunset releases her, and Sonata skips off, oblivious to Sunset’s anger. Sunset watches her go with a sigh before returning to her locker and getting ready for the day.

*S*A*S*

Sunset's plan proved effective, and much sooner than expected, too. As soon as the first bell rang, the minds of all the students were off the fight and on the exams. For once, Sunset celebrated the invention of exams.

Finishing the first period, and the first exam of the day, Sunset rubs her neck to relieve her tension."Try to relax, Sunset. all this worry will just lead to premature aging."

She hears a voice behind her."Sunset Shimmer."

"Ugh, what now?"Sunset thinks before turning around, finding Cadance behind her.

"Come with me, please,"Cadance says."Principal Cinch wants to see you."

"What? Why?"Sunset questions, a little nervous.

"Follow me, please."

The woman walks off without waiting for an answer. Sunset watches her for a moment, then sighs in defeat.

*S*A*S*

Once again, Sunset finds herself facing the imposing door. The dean opens it and stands aside, letting her in.

The room remains the same as before; shadows rule over the room, the only light illuminating the single, large desk, behind which sits the principal, her elbows on the desk and her face behind steepled fingers. Her eyes are closed, and her face is gravely serious.

Sunset does not need to be a genius to realize there is a problem. A little nervous, she approaches and sits in front of the woman.

"Y-You wanted to see me, Principal Cinch?"Her voice betrays her nervousness.

The woman is silent for a few seconds before looking at the girl and answering,"Miss Shimmer, I have received unfortunate information about a certain event that happened yesterday after the end of the school day."

A growl escapes Sunset, although she manages to keep it low enough not to be heard. She drops her shoulders and lowers her head.“I should have known this would happen."

"Can you please explain what happened?"asks Cinch, though her tone made her statement more a demand than a request.

Sunset bites her lip and forces her mind to order her thoughts."Principal Cinch, I... It was not my intention to do that…”

The principal's steely gaze remains on Sunset, silently beckoning her to continue.

"Well, Lightning Dust, she… She was…"Sunset forces herself to stop. She didn’t want to get Twilight involved."We had a disagreement yesterday, and after school, she shouted at me, and..."

She becomes silent, trying desperately to clarify her thoughts so as not to say something wrong. The principal gives her a contemptuous look as she waits for her explanation to end.

"...Lightning Dust tried to hit me, and I... acted on impulse. I didn't... I didn't want to get into a fight with her."

"As I've heard,"the principal begins,"it was you who started the confrontation."

"What?!"Sunset exclaims, indignant and surprised."That's not true! "

"Do you deny, then, having acted against another student?"

"Well, no. I did hurt her, but... but I didn't want to. When I saw she wanted to fight, I tried to get away, but she chased me. I don't start fights.""Not since that night,"Sunset finishes mentally.

"That's interesting, because I have also been informed that you have had friction with multiple students whom you've threatened."

"What?! I never did that!"Sunset asserts.

"Miss Shimmer, you’ve been a student here for only a week now, and I have already been receiving complaints about your behavior. This does not bode well for your future here. However, I believe in due process, so I'll give you the opportunity, here and now, to explain to me what is going on."

To say Sunset was nervous would be an understatement. Sunset wasn’t sure what to say. She didn’t want to involve Twilight, but every altercation Sunset had was because she was defending Twilight. What could she do?

A curious sound takes her out of her thoughts and grabs Cinch’s attention. Both look toward the office door as muffled voices on the other side reach their ears. There seems to be an argument going on.

Shortly after, the door opens with a clatter, and someone enters."Twilight, wait! You can't just barge in!"they hear Cadance say.

Sunset blinks in surprise as the bespectacled girl hurries up to her."Twilight?"

"Miss Sparkle, what is the reason for this interruption?"asks the principal, annoyed.

"Principal Cinch, please listen. This is a mistake!"Twilight pleaded.

"What is a mistake, Miss Sparkle?"

"Sunset’s done nothing wrong. It’s all my fault!"

The former equine, the principal, and even the dean are surprised at her words.

"What you talking about, Miss Sparkle?"Cinch asked, regaining her composure.

"I was the one arguing with Lightning Dust. Sunset was just defending me, that’s all!"

"Twilight, no!"Sunset intervenes."Don’t blame yourself. You didn’t force me to—"

"No, Sunset!"Twilight interrupts."You defended me against Lightning, but if it weren’t for me, your fight would never have happened."

"Twilight—"

"Enough!"The principal's tone of voice silences both girls. Taking a deep breath, she continues,"Miss Sparkle, please explain yourself carefully."

Twilight takes a deep breath and looks into Cinch’s eyes."Principal Cinch, yesterday morning, Lightning Dust and I got into an argument, and Sunset came and defended me from her. Lightning Dust didn't take it well, and that afternoon, Lightning challenged Sunset and attacked her when Sunset refused to fight."

"I was informed that it was Miss Shimmer who has been inciting conflicts."

"That’s not true!"Twilight exclaims confidently."Sunset is a kind girl and a great friend. She doesn’t start fights!"

Sunset could not possibly be more surprised to hear Twilight defend her.

"Very well,"pronounces the principal."In that case, Miss Sparkle, can you tell me the reason behind your dispute with Miss Dust?"

Here, Twilight looks away nervously."Well, you'll see... Lightning wanted... help with her homework—"

"‘Help’, huh? That’s a laugh,"Sunset scoffs.

"Sunset!"

Cinch is intrigued."What do you mean, Miss Shimmer?"

Sunset explains,"Lightning Dust wanted Twilight to do her homework for her. When Twilight refused, Lightning tried to hit her."

There seems to be a small, tiny, almost imperceptible change in the Cinch’s serious expression.

"It’s true,"Twilight finally admits."But Sunset helped me, and..."

"Lightning Dust didn’t take too kindly,"ends Sunset."And she wanted to attack me while I was leaving school."

Cinch closes her eyes and seems to enter a pensive state."I see. That is what happened, is it, Miss Sparkle?"

"Y-Yeah,”Twilight stutters.“So, don't punish Sunset. If there's a culprit, here, it's me."

"Twilight, no!"

"Well, the situation is clear to me,"the principal says, cutting the conversation short."Both of you are free to go."

Two pairs of eyebrows raise in surprise, but neither object. While they walk back to their classes, Sunset decides to say,"You didn't need to blame yourself like that."

"It was because of me that you got into trouble,"Twilight replies.

"Not really. I helped you because I wanted to do it. You didn’t force me to defend you."Sunset’s statement makes Twilight stop walking. When Sunset notices, she stops and turns to her."Twilight?"

There is silence for a moment as Twilight looks at the ground, focused on her thoughts. After a moment, she looks up."Sunset Shimmer, whyareyou helping me so much?"

"Why... What?"

"We don't even know each other, so why? Why are you putting yourself in the line of fire for me?"

Sunset freezes, trying to think of an answer.

It had been an impulse.

Why had Sunset helped her? Was it because she had that face? Was it because she knew what it felt like to be intimidated by others?

Maybe... Maybe she had simply gotten used to doing the right thing, and it would be difficult to change that part of herself... if she even wanted to change it.

The silence Sunset holds while trying to organize her ideas makes the scientist fidget a little.

"Were you... trying to win something?"

The question takes Sunset out of her thoughts."Win?"

"Is that what you're looking for?”Twilight demands, her voice rising.“Do you want some help with a contest? Do you want me to help you with your studies? Or do you think the teachers will treat you better by being with me?"

Her accusing gaze and the tone of her voice do nothing but confuse Sunset more.

"Say it! What do you expect to get? Why do you always jump to my aid?"

Yes, for a moment, she had forgotten it. Or had she ever actually processed it?

This girl was not the Twilight that she knew, and as similar as she was in certain aspects, she was indeed a different person.

After meditating a little, Sunset finally responds"I don't know."

"What?"That is not the answer Twilight expected.

"I don't know why I did it. I guess I just wanted to do something right, for a change."

Twilight is confused, but before she can say anything, Sunset turns around and walks quickly down the hall. Twilight watches her leave, biting her lip worriedly.

*S*A*S*

The dean and the principal remain in the office of the latter, mulling over the recent conversation. The dean looks nervously at the principal who, sitting at her desk, seems to be thinking deeply about something.

"Principal Cinch,"the dean begins,"Twilight is not in trouble, is she?"

"Not at all,"is Cinch’s simple response.

Her response allows the dean to breathe easy.

"On the other hand…"

The dean’s breath hitches, and she meets Cinch’s gaze.

"Dean Cadance, bring me Miss Dust."

*S*A*S*

The rest of the morning passed, and at lunch, Sunset met Sonata, as usual. The former siren looked at her strangely for a moment, getting the inkling that something was off. Sunset, however, paid no attention and only kept silent. Soon, the blue-haired girl shrugged and turned to her lunch. Thus, they returned to their already almost customary routine, with the former siren talking about her own affairs and the former equine listening to her half-heartedly.

*S*A*S*

With the last bell, the students begin to get ready to go to clubs or practice or simply home. Sunset leaves the school and follows her usual way to the bus stop.

Her walk is interrupted when she sees a person leaning on a tree stand up and get in her way.

“What a wonderful way to end the day,”Sunset thinks sarcastically.

Lightning Dust stands a few meters from her, and if she was upset yesterday, she looks downright livid today.

"Sunset Shimmer!"Lightning snaps.

"What now?"

"I got a bone to pick with you!"

"What did I do now?"Sunset asks, rolling her eyes.

"Don't play dumb! You told Cinch that I had threatened Sparkle!"

"Okay, and?"

"Because of you, I almost got two weeks of detention! She only let me go because she knows there’s an important game that she knows Ihaveto be in."

"Sounds like you got off pretty easy,"Sunset says.

"But she warned me that if I ever act up again, she’d expel me! It's your fault I'm on such thin ice!"

"You’re blaming me foryouractions?”Sunset asks incredulously. She continues more to herself,“Is there anything Iwon’tbe blamed for?"

"I’m blaming you foryouractions, bitch! And guess what. We're not on school grounds anymore. I can do whatever I want to you now."

Sunset just lets out a sigh and closes her eyes. Lightning cracks her knuckles and waits for an answer from the fire-haired girl, but Sunset just keeps silent. That just makes Lightning angrier. With a growl, Lightning throws a strong punch and hits Sunset on the cheek. Sunset staggers back but manages to keep her footing. Lightning wastes no time in throwing another punch, striking Sunset’s other cheek. As Sunset reels, Lightning punches her in the stomach, making Sunset double over. Taking advantage of Sunset’s position, Lightning knees her in the face.

Sunset falls to the ground, moaning as she holds her nose. Lightning stares at her, frowning. Growling, she grabs Sunset’s jacket collar and forces her to her feet.

"What's wrong? You're not gonna defend yourself?"

Sunset doesn’t respond. She just stares at the girl with a neutral expression.

Lightning throws another punch with such force that it forces Sunset back to the ground.

"Come on, what happened to all that bravery yesterday?"

Again, Sunset doesn’t answer. She just looks up at Lightning, her hand over the bruise under her left eye.

"Come on! Fight!"Lightning growls.

Lightning punches Sunset again, and Sunset moans in pain as she shields her face, turning to her side. Lightning just gets angrier and lands a strong kick to Sunset’s stomach. Sunset lets out a strangled groan and she holds her stomach.

Lightning uses her foot to roll Sunset onto her back. Planting her feet on either side of Sunset, Lightning punches her in her unshielded face several times. Sunset never defends herself, nor does she say anything.

Finally, Lightning straightens up and says,"You're pathetic."

Lightning hits her one more time and watches her for a moment. Sunset lies there on the ground, covered in bruises and small cuts. Her body trembles slightly, and her moans of pain do not stop. Disgusted, Lightning spits on the ground next to Sunset’s head and walks away, leaving the former equine there.

Sunset makes a great effort to stay conscious. Her face and body ache, and waves of pain shoot through her body with every movement."It could’ve been worse,"she finds herself nevertheless thinking.“Maybe now, she’ll leave me alone.”

She turns sideways, and the action only worsens the discomfort of her body, but she powers through it and forces herself to her feet. She struggles to maintain her balance as she begins walking, but she only makes it a couple of steps before falling back to the sidewalk. The pain of the impact forces a scream from her throat.

She grunts with pain and frustration as she rolls over onto her back, breathing heavily. The pain never lessens, and she begins trembling again.

Obviously, getting home in that state was not an option.

She had to think of another plan.

But she could not stay lying there, that much was clear. The sun would burn her, and night would fall soon, dropping the temperature dramatically.

She had to get home. Her wounds, despite the pain, were not serious. She could patch herself up in she could get to her apartment, and with luck, she could stay away from any further problems until they were completely healed.

But she could not walk. Perhaps if she rested an hour or two, she could gather the strength to return home, or at least find a place to take refuge. But waiting was not an option she liked.

Finally, an idea came to her head. With no other good options, she reached into her vest and pulled out her phone. She was filled with something similar to fear as she stared at the screen. A moment passed, then another, then another as she argued with herself.

The pain of her body and of her head finally convinced her, and she dialed a number and put the phone to her ear.

After a few rings, Sunset finally hears a voice.

"Um... Hello?"