• Published 15th Dec 2017
  • 14,051 Views, 779 Comments

Sunset Among Shadows - RedPegasus



Because of Anon-A-Miss Sunset is abandoned by everyone, so she decides to start a new life, among shadows, she will seek happiness, but what will happen with the magic of friendship?

  • ...
47
 779
 14,051

Breaks

Celestia had no idea how she ended up here.

She remembered that she had arrived at home, but when she could not calm her head, she decided to take a night walk. Before she knew it, she had gone to the last place where anyone, herself included, would expect to see her: a bar.

Its interior embodies the typical image of a city bar, with small tables in the center and slightly larger ones at the edges, worn walls, and photos of different people—mostly sports stars and important figures in the bar’s history—on the walls. Most of the ceiling lights are off. This, along with the soft music of an old jukebox, give a calm, somewhat sad but somehow pleasant atmosphere to the room.

She sighs wearily, rubbing her face with both hands before resting her elbows on the bar and her head in her hands. Her head hurt… a lot.

The thoughts of recent events continue haunting her head. Frustration, anger, helplessness, grief, guilt, and many other emotions press heavily on her shoulders.

"What’ll it be?"

The question makes Celestia look up, spotting a familiar face on the other side of the bar. She would have been startled if she were not so tired.

The young woman maintains an expressionless face while cleaning a jug, her orange, fluffy hair tied back into a bunch. She is dressed professionally with a small nametag adorning her chest. "Adagio".

Celestia watches the other woman for a moment before deciding to speak. "Aren’t you too young to work here?"

The former siren shrugs with a disinterested glaze. "It depends on how you look at it. I'm old enough to have founded your school. Now, are you going to have a drink, or are you going to call CPS?"

The principal is silent, as if she were thinking of what to say. In the end, she gives up. "Whatever is fine."

Leaving the jug aside, the barista turns and searches among the drinks of the place. Finally, she serves a glass of whiskey on the rocks to the principal, leaving the bottle nearby.

"I see many things in this place," she comments after serving the glass, "but you're not one of the ones I'd expect to see." Celestia just sighs and takes a sip from the glass, almost choking on it. Adagio crosses her arms and keeps her gaze emotionless as she looks at the older woman. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Celestia looks back, serious but intrigued. "Do you actually care what happened to me?"

"Not at all," Adagio answers with a shrug.

Celestia's gaze has a glint of curiosity as she continues to regard the other woman.

Adagio, after a moment of silence, says quietly, "Do you know what we eat? We, the sirens?"

There is no response from the principal.

"We feed on negative energy, the feelings of affection and love that has turned into anger and displeasure. That gives us power. Oh, it did. Until that night."

The memory permeates the woman's mind, bringing back old emotions and magnifying new ones a little more.

"Everyone here has a story," continues Adagio. "Guys whose girlfriends left them or who lost their jobs, girls who think the world hates them, parents who had fights with their teens, and so many others."

Celestia looks around at the patrons. Several people in the place seem to be seriously depressed or worried.

"Listening to the misfortunes of others allows me to feel better about my own problems." Adagio pauses, almost pensively. "In a way, the negative energy still feeds me."

Celestia was not sure how to feel about that.

"That's why I'm always willing to listen to the problems of others. They all feel better after talking, and so do I. It's also free."

Adagio washes her hands and attends another newcomer.

Celestia looks at her for a moment, takes a sip of her drink, and then only sighs.

*S*A*S*

She felt warm, comfortable, happy, enveloped in such pleasant warmth.

She felt as if her problems were gone.

But she did not know where she was, so she wanted to open her eyes.

Her blurred vision prevents her from distinguishing anything. She feels herself in something soft and warm. A little thought makes her intuit that she is in a bed.

She feels something at her side, something thin and extremely warm wrapped around her, as if hugging her.

Her sight gradually becomes clear, and she manages to distinguish that warm something. Sunset Shimmer, her friend, the reason for her recent restlessness and fear, lies asleep at her side, her arms wrapped around Twilight’s body.

Sunset was with her. Sunset was okay!

Twilight felt her tears fall, not because of sadness or pain. On the contrary, she felt so relieved.

She had feared the worst. She had thought that by the moment she managed to get through the portal, it would be too late.

But she did not give up, even if it had cost her so much.

She was so tired; her body scolded her incessantly as punishment for her overworking. But she did not care. With a teary smile, she clung to the sleeping girl, her sleeping friend.

*S*A*S*

Her eyes open again. She feels the softness of the bed, the warmth of the blankets and its fresh scent. But the warm body beside her was gone. Instead, Sunset is now sitting in a chair next to the bed, looking at something on her phone.

The former villain turns her eyes and, realizing that the princess is awake, leaves her phone on the side and takes two pills and a glass of water from the nightstand.

Sunset helps the princess raise her head a little and gives her the pills. Twilight does not resist, taking them and guzzling all the water Sunset gives her. She had not realized how dry her throat was.

Sunset puts Twilight back down, then stands up and walks to the door.

"Sunset..." Twilight tries to talk to her. But Sunset either doesn’t hear her or is ignoring her, because she just wordlessly leaves the room.

The princess is alone. For a moment, she tries to get up, but her body rebels in its fatigue.

A few minutes later, Sunset returns with a steaming cup.

*S*A*S*

The morning passes. As Twilight recovers, she manages to sit up and drink the hot chocolate that Sunset prepared for her, trying not to fall asleep.

On more than one occasion, the princess tries to start a conversation. There is so much that she wants to say, but each time she tries, Sunset silences her.

The good mood that Twilight had had last night dissipated. It was clear that Sunset was still upset, and Twilight couldn’t blame her.

At around midday, Twilight can’t take it anymore. The fire-haired girl had not said a word all morning. Twilight watches her sitting next to the bed, her emerald eyes fixed on a school book.

The silence was torturing her. She had to talk to her.

"Sunset..." the princess says.

But Sunset does not seem to hear her. She just keeps reading.

"Sunset, please. Talk to me," Twilight says again, almost pleadingly.

Again, there is no answer. The princess feels ready to cry.

"Sunset, please!" she exclaims with despair. "Shout at me, insult me, tell me you hate me, anything! Just please... talk to me..."

Once again, there is no answer at first, until Sunset closes her eyes with a sigh and turns to look at her.

"What are you doing here?" Sunset asks seriously, coldly.

Twilight was surprised but relieved; listening to Sunset's voice felt like a gift, even if it was loaded with irritation.

So absorbed in her emotions was Twilight that it took a few seconds to answer. "I came because... I was afraid."

"Afraid of what?"

"Y-You said that you wanted... to finish everything. I-I thought..."

"Why do people think I'm going to resort to such nonsense?" thinks Sunset with annoyance.

"I was terrified," confesses the princess. "Even more so when the portal didn’t open, I don't know why, but I couldn't open it. I thought you’d…"

Tears had begun to fall from Twilight’s eyes, and she paused to wipe them.

Sunset looks at her for a moment, and then speaks again with the same cold voice. "I destroyed the journal. That's why the portal didn’t open."

The revelation leaves Twilight cold. "Y-You... destroyed it? Sunset, why…?"

"I wanted to start over, forget about the past, forget everything, even you and Celestia."

Twilight didn’t know what hurt more: the words or the tone in which they were said. Her heart felt ready to shatter.

"Sunset..."

"But the portal can’t be opened anymore. How did you get back?"

It is a fair question. Twilight hesitates, unsure of how to respond. "Star Swirl... I used the spell he used with the sirens."

Sunset crosses her arms, an annoyed gleam in her eyes.

Twilight keeps talking, looking down with embarrassment, "When I couldn’t go back, and when you didn’t respond to my messages, I got scared. I tried to fix the machine, I checked the mirror, the whole nine yards, but there was no way to open the portal.

“I even called Princess Celestia, but she had no answer... I didn’t know what to do..." Remembering those moments makes tears return en masse, and Twilight wipes her eyes to clear them more frequently. "I checked in my library and found the book that talked about the sirens. I remembered Star Swirl's spell, and... I thought I could learn the spell and use it to get here. I went to Canterlot and looked in the Star Swirl wing of the library in order to learn the spell.”

"How long were you there?" Sunset asks accusingly.

The princess is silent, her eyes on her feet, shame clear on her face.

Sunset to begins to tremble in fear and anger. "Don’t tell me you've been there for the last two weeks."

Twilight closes her eyes and clutches the covers. Sunset lets out a moan and puts her palm to her forehead.

"I just wanted to know you were okay," Twilight confessed. "I had to—"

"And surely, you made everyone in Equestria worry about you!" interrupts Sunset. "Your friends, Celestia… Did you ever tell anyone what you were doing?"

"... I told Spike to warn the others..."

Sunset groans again and gets up, beginning to pace. "Ugh... So, you recreated the spell."

"Well... not exactly." Twilight’s tone shifts from ashamed to slightly embarrassed. "The spell was too complicated, but I thought... maybe I could mix it with the magic of the portal to… force it open."

Sunset is silent, trying to control herself. "You shouldn't have come," she finally says.

Twilight responds quietly, "I... wanted to help—"

"It's too late for that," Sunset snaps.

"I know... I'm sorry!" The princess pulls her knees to her chest and buries her face in them.

Sunset sighs with annoyance. "It doesn't matter anymore... Just go back to Equestria."

There is silence. The princess sobs a couple of times before raising her head slightly. "… I can't…"

Sunset whirls around to face the princess. "What do you mean?" she asks, a pit growing in her stomach.

"Star Swirl’s spell... only works in one direction..."

Sunset freezes. Her eyes show a mixture of fear and rage. "... Are you telling me that you used a spell to open the portal knowing it was a one-way trip? How do you plan on going back?!" she shouts.

"... I don’t know," Twilight quietly replies with embarrassment. "At the moment, I didn’t care..."

"Idiot!" Sunset shouts, frightening the princess, who shrinks further into herself. "You left your friends! You left your family! You left EQUESTRIA! What if some villain appears and tries to conquer it?! WHAT HAPPENS IF THEY NEED YOU?! YOU ARE A PRINCESS! You have to protect Equestria!"

Twilight keeps her eyes downcast, while Sunset keeps her accusing glare on her. The silence remains for a full minute before Twilight finally looks up at Sunset. "... If I can't help a friend, how could I possibly help Equestria?"

The question stops Sunset in her tracks, surprise and confusion replacing the anger in her eyes.

They look at each other, neither knowing what to say.

Finally, Sunset grunts and turns around, and before either can say anything else, there is a knock at the door.

"Ugh, he finally arrived," Sunset mumbles.

Before Twilight can ask what she means, Sunset rummages through her closet and bureau and throws a shirt, socks, pants and a coat at Twilight. "Put that on," Sunset orders.

"Put on... Why?"

Sunset does not answer, instead just walking out of the room and leaving the princess confused. Finally losing some patience at Sunset’s attitude, Twilight takes an empty glass from the nightstand and presses it to the door of the bedroom to eavesdrop.

Sunset hears another couple of knocks by the time she reaches the door. She rubs her face to remove the heaviness and opens it.

"Flash, thanks for coming," she says, trying to smile.

The blue-haired boy looks at the girl a little curiously but smiles, "Hey, Sunset. Um... I’m here. What did you want to ask me?"

Sunset sighs again and lets the boy enter her apartment, then closes the door.

"I'm sorry I call you every time I need something, but... you're the only one I could call."

"It's fine. No problem, seriously. But what happened?"

Sunset takes a moment, breathes, and answers, "Twilight’s here."

The answer amazes Flash. "Tw-Twilight... Really?"

"Yeah. She arrived last night. She's in my room changing."

"Oh… so, what do you need?"

Sunset takes another moment, seems to try to calm down. "... I need you to get her out of here."

The boy's jaw drops, while Twilight, stunned at the curt answer, almost drops her glass in surprise.

"What?" Flash says. "Where do you want her to go?"

"Anywhere," replies Sunset. "I don't care, just... I want her to leave."

"But… why?" Flash can’t phrase his question any more eloquently.

Sunset looks at the ground, hurt. "I'm still mad about the whole thing. The whole morning was horrible and awkward for both of us. If she stays here, sooner or later, I'll end up saying or doing something that really hurts her. I don't want that..."

Flash looks at the girl, very worried. "Sunset..."

Sunset looks up with pain in her eyes. "I'm sorry Flash. Just, please take her away. Take her anywhere, as long as it’s not here."

Back in the bedroom, Twilight sinks to the floor, unable and unwilling to listen anymore.

Soon, Sunset returns to the bedroom. When she opens the door, she finds her visitor sitting on the bed, dressed in the clothes she gave her. Sunset’s head falls, and melancholy fills her eyes.

"Princess, Flash came to pick you up," Sunset says quietly.

Twilight does not answer; she just nods and gets up. A slight dizziness shakes her, but she resists it, and with Sunset’s help, she walks to the living room.

The young guitarist is surprised to see her, but he greets her with a small smile, one Twilight is unable to return.

Without comment, Sunset gives Celestia's coat to Twilight, who puts it on over her other coat. Sunset opens the door to let them both out. Flash leaves first, while Twilight takes a couple of seconds before beginning to walk.

"Please, don't come back."

The whisper is quiet enough that only Twilight can hear it, and it crushes her spirit.

"... I love you, Sunset. You’ll always be my friend," she says equally quietly.

Once both are out, Sunset closes the door, locks the safety chain, and takes a couple of seconds before leaning on the wall and dropping to the ground with a groan.

"No more... Please... I just want..."

Sunset cringes, suppressing her emotions and her thoughts, trying to get rid of the pressure on her chest.

*S*A*S*

Flash drives his car quietly through the streets, but he has no destination in mind. He doesn’t know where to go or what to do, so he just takes random turns, trying to think and constantly glancing at his companion. Twilight has her head down during the entire trip, her face showing no emotion beyond regret.

The silence has lasted too long. He knew he had to say something.

"Hey, Twilight. Uh… what do you want to do now?"

He kicked himself mentally. That was the best he could say?

The princess does not respond. She just keeps looking towards the floor.

Nervously, he tries to ask again. "Do you want me... to take you somewhere?"

It takes a few seconds, but finally, she responds, looking outside the window with an darkened expression. "Yeah. I can think of a place…"

*S*A*S*

Generally, Saturday is a lively, cheerful day at Sugar Cube Corner.

Today was a clear exception.

At the counter, Cup Cake tried to keep a semi-cheery atmosphere as she serves what few customers come in, while her husband Carrot Cake mans the kitchen, preparing more sugary snacks.

It's a dark, lugubrious day, and the cold certainly does not help the atmosphere, instead amplifying the depressing environment.

Especially at a particular table.

Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity and Applejack frequent the store a lot, and usually, they chat and joke around animatedly whenever they visit. Today was a different story.

Each girl replays the last few days in her mind. None speaks, and they pay little attention to their drinks.

The silence between them lasts for a long time. It's Rainbow who finally breaks it. "Girls... we have to do something..." she says quietly.

"Like what?" Applejack asks, halfheartedly.

"Anything," responds the chromatic girl. "We have to show Sunset we're sorry."

"I think she knows we're sorry," says Rarity with clear pain in her voice. "I just simply don’t think she cares..."

Rainbow looks worriedly at her friends. She opens her mouth, but her voice dies when she sees the front door open and the person who enters the store. The others notice her expression and they turn around, each freezing as Rainbow did.

Twilight Sparkle stands at the entrance, looking around the store. It doesn’t take long for her to distinguish her five friends at the table.

As she figured, they were there; there were very few places where they could be on a day like today, especially in the current circumstances.

Twilight approaches the table, ignoring Mrs. Cake’s nervous look.

The five friends remain petrified when the Princess of Friendship stops next at their table, a serious, almost accusing gaze in her eyes. Several emotions run through the girls: surprise, fear, and most of all, shame. That last feeling forces each girl to break eye contact with Twilight.

The princess says nothing but eventually sits down next to everyone at the table, which only serves to worry the girls more.

Rainbow tries to speak to break the tension. "Uh… hey, Twilight. It’s been a while, huh? H-How are you?"

There is no response except for her accusatory gaze, which causes the athlete to shrink in her seat and look away. None speaks after that, and none dares look at Twilight.

The princess, on the owner hand, maintains her own somewhat pensive silence. She breathes deeply, thinking of her words.

Her concentration breaks when Mrs. Cake approaches her and, with a smile, gives the princess a root beer float.

"Uh, I... I didn't ask for anything," the doubtful princess comments.

"It's free, honey. You look like you need it," the woman responds with a kind smile.

The princess returns the smile with a small one of her own, and Mrs. Cake retires and leaves the store to give a drink to Flash, who had remained outside of the place.

Twilight takes her float and drinks a little to calm down. Then, she looks at all those present at the table.

"So, who will tell me what happened?"

None responds. They turn their eyes to look anywhere but at the princess.

Rainbow is the one who finally answers for all. "You already know what happened."

"I want to hear it from you."

The silence lasts a few more moments.

*S*A*S*

Eventually, one by one, they take turns and tell the familiar story.

When the story is finished, the princess remains silent, her eyes closed and her face thoughtful. They all remain silent, waiting for the inevitable.

"I can't believe you," the princess finally says seriously. "How could you... How could you think that Sunset would do something like that?!"

None dares to respond.

"We... We used the power of friendship with her!" she exclaims, looking furiously at everyone at the table. "She freed herself from that evil she had! She helped us defeat the Dazzlings! Damn it, it was thanks to her that we defeated them! How could you think she could do something like that?!"

More silence.

"Answer me!"

None wants to do it. They felt like little girls scolded by their mother.

"And even the whole school... If Sunset proved to everyone that she changed... I didn't... Ugh!"

Twilight grunts and takes a deep swig of her float. She lowers the cup, almost slamming it against the table, and after breathing and calming down a bit, she talks again.

"So... now that you know the truth, how do you feel?"

The silence returns. Eventually, Applejack is the first to speak. "What do you want us to say? We're sorry... We're really sorry..."

"We deserve Sunset’s hatred," Rainbow says, hurt.

Pinkie sniffles a little. "But, we don't want it to end like this. We want Sunset back."

"That will be difficult," says the princess, remembering Sunset’s words and attitude toward her just that morning, let alone the previous night.

"Please, don’t come back."

That almost makes Twilight break her angry facade, but she manages to keep it.

Rarity says, "We love Sunset. She's our friend."

"Or she was..." Rainbow says again.

After a silence, Applejack looks at Twilight with desperation. "Twilight, tell us what to do."

They all look with despair at the princess. She looks back at them with incredulous annoyance.

"Me?" she asks, almost sarcastic. "You’re asking me what you should do? Really?" The princess’s anger bleeds into her speech unabated. "What you should have done is trust your friend! You should have realized how ridiculous the situation was... You should have known that Sunset just wouldn't do that!"

They all lower their heads. The place is frozen.

Twilight stands up and takes a step away from the table. Turning away from them, she says. "You five caused this, not some magical, mind-controlling monster. I… have no reason to help you."

With that said, making sure that her tears are not noticed, she walks towards the exit, leaving them all amazed and, again, desolate.

She stops in front of the door, arguing with herself for a few seconds. Finally, she says, "When I arrived here the first time... I thought Sunset had separated you." They all look at her as she finally turns around, her glazed eyes contrasting with her grave face. "But now, I don't know if you five were ever really friends."

With no more words, the Equestrian princess leaves the place. The five friends are once again alone, sunk in their own despair.

*S*A*S*

Twilight tries hard not to cry anymore. She clings to her coat in order to avoid the cold and give her something to think about other than her crushing sorrow.

Flash, reclining in his car, sees her come out and lowers the window. "Twilight, what—"

"Let's go. Please," she interrupts him almost pleadingly as she gets in his car.

Flash looks at her, extremely worried. Nevertheless, he puts the car in drive and gets on the road.

Flash drives for a while, not knowing what to do or what to say.

So many things that he would like to know, that he would like to say, but he couldn't do it.

What he wouldn’t give to help Twilight, help Sunset, help... everyone...

A street light changes to red, and Flash stops. He takes advantage of the moment to look at his partner.

Twilight just looks down, and although she tries, she has a hard time keeping her sobs quiet.

How those tears hurt...

He shakes his head.

He couldn’t fall, too. Someone had to stay strong.

Withstanding the grief, Flash thought about what he could do.

"So, Twilight… where do you want me to take you now?"

She does not respond.

"Do you want me to take you to CHS? You can go home from there, right?"

It takes a while, but Twilight responds, her gaze still on the floor, "I can’t go home... Not anymore…"

He just stares at her in surprise, unsure of what to say. "O-Oh... Um... That sucks. Uh, you have somewhere to stay? I mean, I can take you to my house if you want. I don't know how to explain it to my parents, but I’m sure I’ll think of something."

"... I can’t ask you to do that, Flash."

"No, don't worry, it's not a problem. Seriously, they'll understand."

She shakes her head slowly. "I don’t want to bother you with any more of my problems."

"It’s not a bother. You’re not a bother. I want... I want to help..."

There is silence. The light changes to green, but Flash takes a few more seconds before advancing.

Twilight looks through the window. "Well... there is one place..."

*S*A*S*

"... And now... I can't go home" the princess says with embarrassment in her eyes. "And I was wondering... Could I stay here... until I find a way to get back or... find another place to stay?"

Celestia and Luna just stare in surprise. There’s a lot they expected would happen after Twilight’s attempted talk with Sunset, but they never would have expected Twilight to come to their door and tell them all that. It takes both of them a couple of seconds to absorb the whole situation.

Twilight, worried at the silence, continues, "But I understand if I can't... It's a difficult favor, and I know—"

Celestia hurries to speak, "Of course, you can stay, Twilight." She takes the girl by her shoulders. "You can stay as long as you need."

"I will prepare the guest room," the youngest sister says, although she radiates uncertainty.

"I'm sorry,” Twilight says as Luna goes deeper into the house. "I hate to be a bother, but..."

"It's not a bother, Twilight. You're welcome to stay as long as you want," Celestia assures her with a smile.

"Thank you, Principal Celestia."

The woman’s smile broadens. Then, she looks up to see the young man accompanying Twilight. "Thank you for bringing her, Flash. That was very kind of you."

"Oh, sure. It's... It's nothing," he replies bashfully.

Celestia steps back welcomingly and says, "Would you like to come in and stay for lunch?"

"Thank you, but my mom’s probably wondering where I am."

"That’s alright. You better head home, then. Have a good weekend, and thanks again."

Celestia waves at him with a smile, which Flash returns. Twilight herself turns to him and attempts to smile. "Thanks, Flash... for everything..."

"Yeah, no problem."

They look at each other for a moment, a little nervous.

"Well, I... I better go. See you later, Twilight. Um... let me know if you... you know, if you need anything."

With that and a wave, Flash gets into his car, gives a last goodbye, and leaves.

Both Celestia and Twilight watch him leave, then the principal says, "Let's go in, Twilight. It's very cold out here."

The woman takes the young girl into something like a hug. Twilight does not resist and instead gets as close as possible to the woman.

They enter into the house and close the door.

*S*A*S*

The cold wind continued its blowing, snow and ice falling from above, adorning the ground with their whitish imprints.

Everything seemed to be peaceful, but deep down, many hearts were broken.