• Published 20th Dec 2017
  • 1,994 Views, 143 Comments

EoH Evolution: Season 1 - Bahamut0



A thousand years have passed since Nightmare Moon's banishment. Destiny has seen to it that the Elements of Harmony will revive. But a new evil is starting to arise. Harmony alone isn't enough. New heroes must rise. They must evolve.

  • ...
7
 143
 1,994

Episode 9: False Courage

Burst was looking over the monster field guide with his team. However, one thing had been gnawing at his mind. In specific, it had to do with Ace's wings. "Hey, Ace?" Burst asked. "I've been meaning to ask you, are wings actually made of ice?"

"Hm?" Ace quickly glanced at his wings. "Oh! No, they're not made of ice. Otherwise they'd melt every time I go outside. But I guess it couldn't hurt to tell you the reason why my wings are the way they are." Ace was about to begin recounting when he noticed Twilight and the girls heading out. "Hey Twi! Where are you off to?"

Twilight smiled. "We're off to move a sleeping dragon so the smoke from his snoring doesn't blanket the kingdom in ash. Any of you guys wanna come with?"

The Elements of Heroism looked to each other, and shrugged. "We're pretty sure that you girls have got this." Ace answered. "A sleeping dragon's probably nothing compared to a mad Avatar. Have fun!" The guys waved the Main 6 goodbye, and Ace went back to his story. "Now where was I? Oh yeah! The origins of my ice wings. It happened about thirteen years ago. My family and I lived in Cloudsdale like most Skyborn." Ace then pulled a photo out of his pocket. "I'm in the middle. To my left is my little brother, Shadow. And on my right is my big brother. Dark Ice." Ace smiled fondly at the picture. "The three of us were practically inseperable." Ace's smile soon faded, and sadness clouded the joy of his memories. "That was before a real bad storm hit. Shadow and I were still in the house, and Ice flew back in to come and get us. But by then, the storm was literally at our doorstep. And that's when I felt something within me click. I reached out my hands in front of me, and the air seemed to cool around me. Before I knew it, we were in a sphere of ice. Safe from the storm. And when the sphere dematerialized, I'd gotten my talent crest and my wings looked like they were made of ice." A sigh escaped Ace's lungs. "That was a day I gained much, and lost much. Ice ran away from home not long after. Because he was filled with guilt that he just stood there frozen in fear. It wasn't his fault, but he still placed so much blame on himself."

"And you thought he had ice wings because he was emotionless." Steel said with a smirk as he shot a smug look at Inferno. "Looks like you owe me ten bits."

Inferno frowned. "Alright, fine. It was wrong for me to assume that." A mischievous smirk then crept onto Inferno's face. "But hey. People might think you're violent, emo, and edgy with your name. Heck, you've got the word edge in your name!"

"Great." Steel said with a frown. "But you're one to talk. You gave your blaster a name. Blackfire sounds a lot edgier than my name does."

Burst chuckled. "Coming from the guy who thought of naming his sword Edge Lord? I don't think that puts you in any better a position." The group shared a laugh. "Well Ace. Wherever your brother is, I hope that he finds his way back to you."

"Yeah." Ace said as he stared at the sky. "I hope so too..."


Meanwhile, Far away...
Dark Ice stared at the ground as he sulked. Thinking of his family and home. It's been years since that storm hit. So long since I last saw my family. Ice then slapped his head in frustration! And what right do I have to look their way?!?! My brothers needed me! I was supposed to keep them safe! He then looked at the ground in shame. And I just stood there. Frozen in place instead of grabbing them and flying out...

At the same time, Night Terror was sensing for strong concentrations of fear and regret. Unfortunately, such things were scarce in Unity. That is, until he sensed Dark Ice. A wicked smile crept onto Night Terror's face. "Looks like I've found a new warrior." Night Terror opened a portal, and appeared before Dark Ice. "Greetings young one."

"Wh-Who're you?!" Dark Ice spat as he stumbled backwards. "What do you want?!"

Night Terror smiled. "Let's just say that you've caught my eye. In specific," Night Terror pointed at Dark Ice's heart. "The fear and regret weighing on your heart." Night Terror then began circling Ice. "You feel that you failed those closest to you. That is the regret that weighs heaviest on you. And the fear of failing them again keeps you from ever being close to them. But I can help you."

"And...how can you do that?" Ice asked cautiously.

Night Terror smiled. "By giving you power. Power to instill fear into others. So that you shall never feel fear stall you again! You shall overcome all that you dread!" Night Terror extended his hand. "What do you say?"

"...I accept." Dark Ice said as he shook Night Terror's hand. As he did, Ice transformed. His dark grey skin turned pitch black. His blue eyes turned orange and lost their pupils. And his light grey hair turned purple and hazy. Like mist.

"Rise Dark Mist." Night Terror said with a wicked smile. "Welcome to the Nightmare Forces."