• Published 14th Dec 2017
  • 2,183 Views, 30 Comments

The Problems with Changeling Royalty - Snorlaxkid



Thorax and Pharynx were always physically and mentally distinct among changelings. In fact, before ousting her, the only changeling more distinct was Chrysalis herself. Is there a connection there?

  • ...
2
 30
 2,183

Arguing Semantics

Twilight, Starlight, and Spike were understandably incredulous at this plan.

"You want to do what?!" Starlight exclaimed after a momentary pause. "I mean, I'm all for giving her a second chance if she'll take it, but she didn't exactly show much interest in the idea when she swore revenge and fled. She won't just turn a new leaf if you just find her and ask."

"I-I'm aware, but we have to try." Thorax stammered, wincing at Starlight's sudden shouting.

"And then what? If she has you alone she might just kill you! She already tried to kill you back when we confronted her at the hive."

"We don't know th-"

"Yes. We do."

Thorax stomped a hoof, upset at being interrupted. "No, we don't. If she had just wanted me dead she could have done it at any time. She didn't have to resort to draining me. And even if she was trying to kill me, I'm willing to leave that in the past where it belongs."

"Will you both stop it!" Twilight suddenly exclaimed, her wings flaring out dramatically. "This argument over what happened in the past is going to get us nowhere, and it's a royal pain."

There was a moment where everyone was completely silent. And then Spike started snickering.

"Royal pain... That's a good one."

Pharynx had been silently fuming during this back and forth. As Spike started snickering though, his annoyance began to turn to rage. Thorax could feel the heat of Pharynx's emotions, turning to him in surprise.

"So can I talk now?" Pharynx asked, slamming a hoof into the map hard enough to make it shake. "This whole meeting is getting us nowhere! We came here asking for help, not for permission! We're doing this with or without you!"

"Pharynx that's-" Starlight started, but Pharynx wasn't done.

"Do you think this decision is an easy one for us? Do you think we just forgot what Chrysalis did to us? To everyone? We're not asking you to help us put her back on her throne, we just want to bring her home. What if it was your family in Chrysalis' place?"

Starlight couldn't look Pharynx in the eye after those questions. She'd been there when Thorax refused to give up on him despite the entire Hive turning against him. She'd been the one to think he was a lost cause until she realized how much he meant to Thorax.

Pharynx snorted and stepped back from the map. "I knew this was pointless. Take the scroll back, and let's go Thorax." Pharynx turned and started walking for the door, confident that his brother would be right behind him.

"No."

Pharynx stopped. That was definitely not the reaction he'd expected.

"What do you mean no? This visit was your idea. Finding Chrysalis was your idea, and I agreed to it. We can't get anything else from this visit, so let's get back to what's important."

"Sit down Pharynx, we are not done here." Thorax commanded. His voice seemed to echo in the room and for a moment Pharynx could barely recognize his brother's voice behind the command.

"Yes, your highness," Pharynx said softly, eyes downward. He turned and walked back to his place, sitting on the floor. "I apologize for snapping like that."

"It's fine, we all get upset from time to time."

Twilight cleared her throat to get the two brothers' attention. "Ahem, I'm sorry to interrupt but I believe that we should try to wrap this up." She wrapped the scroll back up carefully, returning it to Thorax. "And while I'd like to help, I'm afraid I really can't. Nopony knows where Chrysalis fled to and I don't have a way to track her."

Thorax winced slightly before Twilight continued.

"But... Celestia and Luna might."

------------------------------------------------

"No. Absolutely not."

"Luna!" Celestia admonished her sister. "We won't just leave them unaided." She turned back to Thorax and Pharynx, who were standing in the throne room of Canterlot, a few days after the meeting in Ponyville. "If we discover Chrysalis' whereabouts you'll be the first to know. Is there any other aid we can offer?"

Thorax thought for a moment. "Actually, could we look at the royal library? There may be something that helps point us in the right direction." He bowed. "We'll be respectful."

"Of course, I'll send a guard to escort you so there's no confusion. Is there anything in particular you wanted to find?" Celestia asked politely.

Pharynx gave Thorax a knowing look before replying for him. "A scrying spell, Princess Celestia. We have something that might belong to her."

Author's Note:

I am way too amused by that scene transition. It's not even that great, I just love me some sitcom level scene transitioning, even in my more sad fics. :trollestia: