• Published 16th Dec 2017
  • 1,264 Views, 12 Comments

Twilight Tries Her Hoof at Writing - the7Saviors



Twilight loves books and feels it's high-time she tried writing one. A problem arises when she realizes she has no idea what to write about. Thankfully Spike and Starlight are there to throw in their two bits.

  • ...
2
 12
 1,264

...a certain purple princess made a questionable decision.

"Oh hey, Starlight," said Twilight, releasing Spike, "I was just having Spike help me with some ideas for a story I want to write."

Spike eyed the new subs in Starlight's magic critically, "Yeah," he said absently, "apparently she decided to take up writing at some point."

"Oh," Starlight replied in surprise, "that's... interesting." She set the tray on a nearby table as she walked over to the other two, "by the look of things I take it you aren't making very much progress?"

Twilight released a tired sigh, "Unfortunately not," she snorted in frustration, "and I've been trying for hours now."

"Really?" Starlight asked incredulously, "I figured something like this would be easy for you."

"That's what I'm saying!" Spike added, digging into a sub over by the table.

Twilight shook her head, "You'd think so, but there's actually a lot for me to consider," she began pacing back and forth, "things like what genre I want the story to be or whether or not to make it fiction or non-fiction."

Spike stopped eating and tried to interrupt Twilight before she had the full breakdown he knew was coming, "Uh... Twilight?"

Twilight's pace quickened, mane fraying slightly, "Then there's the matter of characters, world building, story length, editing and proofreading-"

"Hey, Twilight-" Starlight tried.

"-no guarantee it'll be popular, but if I can find a good publisher-"

"TWILIGHT!" Spike and Starlight yelled.

Twilight stopped her frantic pacing and panicked mumbling abruptly. She stood there for a moment in silence, then slowly looked over at the concerned faces of Spike and Starlight. She blinked owlishly, "...huh?" she replied intelligently.

"Twilight, we get it," Spike said in a soft, placating tone, "writing is a lot harder than it sounds, even for you."

Starlight nodded in agreement, a small smile on her face, "And we'd be happy to help you come up with some ideas at least."

Twilight rapidly shook her head to clear the remaining anxiety and gave them a grateful smile, "Thanks you two, it means a lot."

"Anytime, Twi," Spike said, waving a claw dismissively, "we got your back."

Twilight nodded, "Now then-" she picked up the parchment and quill that she dropped at some point during their conversation "-don't hold back, I'm willing to field any and all ideas here at this point."

Spike and Starlight sat in contemplative silence for a moment before Spike snapped his claws, "I got it!" he exclaimed and looked over to Twilight enthusiastically, "How about a story where a brave knight rescues the beauti-"

"Spike, I'm just gonna stop you right there," Twilight interrupted, giving Spike a flat look.

"What? Why?" Spike asked in confusion.

"Is the knight a dragon?"

"Well, yeah but-"

"Is the princess a pony?"

"...Yes?"

"Uh-huh," Twilight responded, eyes closed and pinching her muzzle with a hoof, "and just out of curiosity, what were you going to name these characters?"

"...Sir Pike and Lady Charity." Spike mumbled looking away in embarrassment.

Behind Spike, Starlight visibly cringed. "Oh wow that's bad," she hissed.

"Alright, Starlight," Spike snapped, rounding on the pink unicorn, "what's your bright idea?"

"My idea, huh?" Starlight replied thoughtfully, completely ignoring the irritation in Spike's tone. She hummed to herself for a moment, "Well, why not write a memoir?" she suggested, turning to Twilight.

"A memoir?" Twilight asked, blinking in surprise, "why a memoir?"

"Well, think about it-" Starlight raised her hoof as if to give a lecture "-You and the rest of the Mane Six-"

Mane Six?, Twilight mouthed to herself.

"-have accomplished a lot in the past couple of years," Starlight continued, "taking down Discord, fighting off the changelings at your brother's wedding, stopping Sombra from taking over the Crystal Empire, you becoming an alicorn, and you even had an epic showdown with Tirek."

"That was a really epic battle," Spike added.

"Not to mention that whole incident in Our Town and the massive screw up with the time stream," Starlight mumbled under her breath.

"I know the girls and I have done a lot in the past," Twilight responded, "but that was only in the last couple of years and I'm only in my twenties. I feel like I'd need at least a couple of more decades of life experience before I start writing memoirs. Heck-" Twilight spread her wings for emphasis "-I'm an immortal alicorn now, I can write memoirs once I have a couple of more centuries of life experience," she was quiet for a moment, "...and do ponies really refer to us as the Mane Six?"

"When somepony has done as much as you have, Twilight," Starlight responded, ignoring Twilight's question, "there's no reason you shouldn't write a memoir. I mean-" Starlight lit up her horn and pulled a book from one of the bookshelves "-I've already written one of my own memoirs." She floated the book over to a bemused Twilight who took it in her own magic and flipped through it briefly.

"When did you find time to write a memoir?" she blinked and shot a confused look to Starlight, "and why was this already in my study?" she switched her questioning gaze over to Spike.

"Hey, don't look at me!" he said quickly, waving his arms defensively, "I didn't know that was there either!"

She looked back to Starlight who just gave her an enigmatic smile.

"Ugh!" Twilight cried in exasperation, "what, are you Pinkie Pie now?"

"Twilight..." Spike warned, wary of another freakout.

"I know, I know," Twilight took a couple of calming breaths, "we're getting off topic and I haven't even written anything down yet - and no I'm not writing a memoir, Starlight."

Starlight shrugged, "Suit yourself. Just remember you did say you were 'fielding any and all ideas'."

"Yes I did," Twilight conceded, "that doesn't mean I have to use them though."

Starlight just shrugged again in response.

There was another round of silence while the three of them pondered more ideas.

"Well..." Spike started tentatively.

"Yes, Spike? Go on," encouraged Twilight.

"If you were gonna write fiction, what were you leaning towards genre-wise?"

Twilight tapped a hoof on the floor, head lowered and humming to herself in contemplation, "Maybe... a mystery?" she looked back up at Spike with a small smile, "I've always really enjoyed the Fetlock Holmes series."

"Yeah," Spike agreed, "and there's all kinds of different mysteries-" he started counting off his claws "-like the caper, the whodunit, and my personal favorite - the hard-boiled detective story! I can see it now," his eyes grew distant, "a young violet-haired maiden, distraught by her father's untimely demise at the hooves of a bitter business rival, seeks justice. She soon finds the only one she can turn to is the handsome, aloof, and mysterious dragon P.I.-" he struck a heroic pose "-detective Spike!"

Twilight and Starlight groaned.

"You didn't even try to come up with a name this time," Starlight said with a facehoof.

"And I thought you weren't into 'real literature'?" Twilight added with a raised eyebrow.

"They have comics with detective heroes," Spike retorted petulantly.

"Well, Spike's ridiculous fantasies about Rarity aside-"

"Hey! that's not what I-"

"-I've always preferred locked-room mysteries myself," Starlight continued, talking right over Spike.

"Yeah, you would." Spike muttered.

Starlight shot Spike a glare, but said nothing in response.

"Hey!" Twilight called, stomping a hoof to get their attention, "None of that. We're here to brainstorm ideas, not insult each other."

Spike and Starlight mumbled an apology.

"Good," Twilight nodded in satisfaction, "now then," she continued, "I - at the very least - have a direction I can take with future ideas," she scribbled something down on the parchment held in her magic, "any other ideas?"

There was another silence, but this one didn't last long before Starlight spoke up.

"Y'know, Twilight," she said absently, gazing out a window, "I just remembered something I heard once a while ago..."

"What's that, Starlight?" Twilight asked curiously.

"Inspiration can be found in the unlikeliest of places," she responded, never breaking her gaze away from the window.

"Huh," Twilight said thoughtfully, "you know, you're right, Starlight," she looked over to Starlight, "did you have an idea in mind?"

"I did actually," Starlight said, eyes still fixed to the window, "a gripping tale of heroism where a warrior princess battles a giant evil demon born of the stars to protect her kingdom and subjects."

Twilight and Spike both stared at Starlight in surprise.

"That... sounds... awesome!" Spike cried ecstatically.

"I have to admit, it does sound like it would be an engaging read," agreed Twilight. She gave Starlight an intrigued look, "What gave you the idea?"

GRAAAAAOOOH!!!

The deafening roar shook the entire castle, causing Twilight and Spike to cover their ears.

"WHAT IN THE NAME OF CELESTIA'S BURNING YELLOW SUN WAS THAT!?" cried Spike.

Starlight finally turned to face Spike and Twilight, voice calm but eyes full of panic.

"My inspiration."

Twilight ran to the window and looked outside, Spike following right behind. Off in the distance, they could see the lavender, star-speckled silhouette of an Ursa Major rampaging through the Everfree Forest.

"..."

"..."

"..."

"Nope. I'm done," Spike turned to walk out of the room.

"Spike-"

"Nuh-uh. I'm out, Twi," he interrupted, still heading to the door, "I know I said I would have your back, but what the hay am I gonna do against an Ursa Major?"

Twilight didn't have a response for that.

"Uh-huh, exactly," he reached the door before turning to Twilight and giving a thumbs-up, "good luck with that and your book, Twi. I'll be with you in spirit!" He walked out of the room, slamming the door shut.

Twilight just gaped at the door.

"Didn't even bother to leave us the rest of the subs..." Starlight muttered.

Twilight rounded on Starlight, "Forget the subs!" she hissed through her teeth, "we need to stop that Ursa Major from destroying Ponyville!"

"Whoa, hang on," Starlight said, waving her forehooves in front of her face, "you're the almighty, immortal alicorn goddess of magic. I'm just a student."

"Wha - but, you-" Twilight sputtered, "You're almost as powerful as I was when I was a unicorn!"

"Well sure," Starlight agreed, "but would you have been able to break through an Ursa Major's magical resistance as a unicorn?"

Twilight open and closed her mouth repeatedly before letting out a sigh of defeat, "Probably not."

"Well, there you go," Starlight said as she headed towards the door. "if it helps, I'll keep thinking of story ideas while you're gone."

Twilight just waved a dismissive hoof, not bothering to look in Starlight's direction.

With that, Starlight exited the study and closed the door behind her, leaving Twilight alone.

Twilight stared out the window for a brief moment, watching the Ursa tear up tree after tree in it's rage.

She let out a snort of frustration, "You know what? Buck it," she said to nopony in particular.

Twilight threw open the window, spread her wings, and took off towards the Everfree Forest.

The Ursa was just about to make it out of the forest and into Ponyville when Twilight landed in front of it.

"HEY!" shouted Twilight in the Royal Canterlot Voice.

The Ursa Major looked around in confusion before it's huge eyes settled on the purple pony below it.

"Yeah, I'm talking to you!" Twilight yelled, throwing every ounce of the day's aggravations into her voice, "look, I haven't had a very good day, so if you would go back home and leave Ponyville alone I would very much appreciate it!"

The Ursa just growled threateningly in response.

Twilight, finally getting fed up with how the day had gone responded in kind.

"Look buddy, you don't want to test me right now. I'm tired, irritated, and not above looking for violent ways to relieve some stress!"

The Ursa roared it's challenge in Twilight's face.

Twilight roared right back.

"ALRIGHT FINE! YOU WANNA GO?" she teleported to the Ursa's eye level, her own eyes burning white with excess magic.

The Ursa reared back in surprise.

"I AM THE CHAMPION OF BOOKS! THE LADY OF THE LIBRARIUM! A PARAGON OF THE WRITTEN WORD!" her horn blazed and crackled with arcane, magenta colored energy, "I AM THE PRINCESS OF BUCKING MAGIC AND BY MY WORD YOU WILL LEAVE OR I WILL MAKE YOU!"

The Ursa roared again and charged the enraged alicorn.

It raised a massive paw to swipe at Twilight.

Twilight fired a massive beam of pure magic.


Later that evening, Spike was laying in his basket in Twilight's bedroom reading a comic when Starlight walked in.

"Oh," Starlight said spotting Spike, "there you are."

"Sup'," Spike said, not looking up from his comic.

Starlight looked at Spike disapprovingly, "Aren't you worried about Twilight?"

"Not really," he replied absently, flipping a page, "It's gonna take more than an Ursa Major to bring Twilight down. She's got this."

Starlight looked at him skeptically for a moment before shrugging, "If you believe in her that strongly, that's good enough for me," She walked over and sat down next to Spike, "I told Twilight I would help her come up with some more ideas for her story. I've got a few in mind and I came to see if you wanted to help."

"Nah, don't bother," Spike replied shaking his head.

"What?" Starlight asked in confusion, "why not?"

Spike sighed and put down his comic, turning to face Starlight with a small smirk, "Knowing how frustrated Twilight's been since this morning, she's probably reached the end of her rope," he chuckled, "the random Ursa attack most likely pushed her over the edge."

Starlight looked unsure, "I don't know, Spike. Twilight is a very diligent pony," she looked towards the bedroom window with a nervous expression, "I don't think she'd leave this be just because she was stressed - especially because she was stressed."

Spike scoffed at Starlight's worried expression, "Trust me, Starlight," he said in a reassuring tone, "I bet you any moment now, Twilight is going t-"

The bedroom door slammed open and in walked a bruised and exhausted alicorn.

"Ursa's gone," Twilight mumbled wearily, "chased it back into the Everfree."

She limped over to her bed and flopped onto the sheets, not even bothering to pull the blanket over herself.

Spike flashed Starlight a smug smirk. Starlight ignored him and ran over to Twilight.

"Twilight!" she cried in concern, "are you alright?"

"Mrflgmble," she responded not moving from her prone state.

Starlight blinked and looked over to Spike who just snickered and shook his head.

"She'll be fine," Spike assured, "the magical exhaustion is probably hitting her the hardest and that'll go away with some rest."

"Okay..." Starlight said, still unsure.

"Go on, Star," Spike said walking over to Twilight, "I'll take care of things from here."

Starlight opened her mouth to protest, but then closed it, deciding to trust Twilight to Spike's care, "Alright, Spike," she said softly, "let me know if you or Twilight need anything."

Spike gave a nod and she walked out of the room, closing the door quietly behind her.

Spike began covering Twilight with a blanket when she turned to him with a tired gaze and found the strength to speak.

"Hey, Spike?" she mumbled quietly.

"Hmm?"

"Tell Starlight that I'm just gonna stick to reading books."

Spike gave a small chuckle, "Sure thing, Twi."

With that said, Twilight was out like a light and Spike pulled the blanket the rest of the way over her.

"Night, Twilight," Spike said quietly, laying back in his basket and picking up his comic.

Author's Note:

Ugh, that took way longer than I wanted it to.:ajbemused:

It was worth it though. I had a LOT of fun writing this chapter. Don't really have much to say that wasn't already said in my last A/N other than WHOOO!!! FINISHED MY FIRST STORY ON FIMFICTION!!!:pinkiehappy:

Seriously though, thanks to everyone who favored my story and followed me. I'm gonna try to make more stories while I'm working on my bigger project. But it might be awhile so just bear with me guys.

Comments ( 9 )

Will there be a sequel involving Twilight's other friends "helping" her write?

8614716
Nah, she's done. This is most likely going to be my only SoL fic actually. Gonna go darker and more action oriented from here on out probably.

Actually I won't say never. Who knows what the future will bring? :twilightsmile:

Will there be a forbidden love story of a dragon and a griffin?

Huh. Powerful as Twilight as a unicorn nothing. Starlight is as powerful as alicorn Twilight.

8615116
I disagree actually. I think the only reason Starlight was able hold off Twilight was because she was better prepared. She only had to stall Twilight until the time spell activated. I don't think she would've won in a prolonged fight.

I mean based on what I've seen in the show, Starlight's talent seems to be spellcrafting, but that's just one aspect of magic. Twilight's talent is magic in general. I could see how an argument could be made that Twilight could be a jack-of-all-trades and master of none and that's why Starlight was able to match her, but Twilight was also powerful enough to contain the power of three other alicorns along with her own.

I wouldn't mind debating more about this but I should probably save that for a forum.

I hope you had as much fun writing this as I did reading it. Very enjoyable.

"Wait, no way," Spike gasped in horror, "did that creepo journalist from Fillydelphia finally convince you to help him write that article about Fluttershy's-"

"SPIKE!" Twilight shouted, cheeks flaming, "I'm trying to write up some ideas for a story!" she shook her head and glared at Spike, "and we all agreed to never bring that up again!"

I have to know what happened there. :rainbowlaugh:

Anyway, great story and wow, your first?! Talk about playing against type before you even set up a type!

Also, I know how Spike felt since I was in a similar situation to him, with the only difference being there was already an idea in place and I was required to expand upon it.

Great story, had lots of fun reading it

Login or register to comment