• Published 3rd Jan 2018
  • 4,965 Views, 559 Comments

A Shattered Rainbow Rock - FourShadow



In another dimension, Sunset Shimmer and the Rainbooms are now sending fear and panic to the students of CHS. But maybe three sisters may put an end to that...

  • ...
14
 559
 4,965

Chapter 4: The Friend That You Need

Author's Note:

Okay, so this chapter may be a bit cringy... :twilightblush: Admittedly, the song rendition is EXTREMELY cringeworthy too, but there's something I want to clarify. The rules stated that I use lyrics from MLP, so I'm just following rules. Don't worry, I'll get something better in the future.

Special thanks to StormLuna for opinions!

And do not fret, we will be out of the cringyness in the next chapter. Hope you guys will still stick with me!:twilightsmile:

About the time the bell rung for lunch time, everyone was struggling to get out of the class and on their way to lunch. The only one who needed to get there now was just Sonata Dusk. She was still cheery and upbeat, and she was having a really good day. The people were nice here, there was an occasional boy giving her compliments about her looks, and she was optimistic and cheery that virtually nothing could get her down.

She stepped over to her locker and started to move the knob on the combination lock, starting to unlock it. In the hallways, there were a few students who were just hanging out, chilling by themselves, checking notifications on their phones and what not.

Sonata hit the final number on the lock, and she opened up the locker. Without warning, a large burst of confetti exploded in her face, some of which stuck onto her. She nearly fell back in shock from the impact. But when she opened up her eyes she found something else that wasn't supposed to be in her locker. There was a singular timer ticking, and there were wires connected to a little device that had what appeared to be a dessert in a little pan.

Sonata blinked when she looked at the strange machine, and reality sunk in when the timer dinged.

"Oh no..."

A little catapult handle sprung up, and a big pan of pie hit Sonata's face with perfect accuracy. It striked her at the right angle, and she was hit upon impact.

The pie pan hit the ground leaving Sonata's eyes blinking out of the smeared pie that hit her face. But the booby trap left one final attack, as the device had springloaded glitter into her face. Everyone that was in the hallway could be heard snickering, just seeing the small explosions that both figuratively and literally blew in her face.

Sonata just stood in shock, trying to compose herself from the explosions. The stuff that exploded in her face was practically stinging her. And the pie had now splattered on her face and was now getting all over her shirt too.

But before anyone said a thing, everyone's attention was moved to someone moving their way from the crowd. Sonata looked to the side and found a tuft of blue hair with neon streaks moving its way in the crowd.

"Excuse me! Pardon me! Sorry, I have to get through!"

Sonata opened her eye as best as she could but the glitter was so painful, she was practically screaming at this point from all the pain.

"Oh good heavens! Hang on, please, come with me." A new voice said.

A hand held onto Sonata and moved her away from the crowd and into another room. The door closed behind her, and Sonata felt a towel put onto her face.

"Try to get some of that stuff of of you."

"T-Thanks... agh, ow, that stings..." Sonata cringed.

"I fell for that trap too. Just need to wash that stuff off."

Sonata wiped away the splattered pie, the confetti, and the glitter off as best as she could. Thankfully most of it came off her face. When she wiped her eyes clean, she took the towel off and was met with a girl in front of her who was offering a friendly smile.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Who are you?"

The girl in front of her had a white short sleeved shirt underneath a blue buttoned up waist coat. She had a blue skirt with a graphic of a two eighth notes. White socks reached up to her knees, and she had black dress shoes. Adn on her wrists were gold bracelets.

"Sorry about pulling you away like that, I was trying to get you out of there as fast as possible before anyone could see you." She replied. "Oh geez, where are my manners? My name's Vinyl. Vinyl Scratch. Who are you?" She extended her hand out.

Sonata blinked again, trying to get more stuff out of her eyes but she got a hand out. "Sonata Dusk. Nice to meet you. So... who put all of that into my locker?"

Vinyl sighed. "I have a good feeling that was the work of Pinkie Pie."

"Who?"

"Pinkie Pie's one of the students here at school. Part of a band that goes by the name of Sonic Rainbooms."

Sonata blinked. "Oookkkay?"

"I have a feeling that it was her who put that stuff in your locker. Pinkie Pie is nasty as she is mean. She sets explosives in people's lockers to explode in their face as a warning."

"Warning for what?" Sonata said as she wiped her chin.

"Warning that she's keeping her eye on you and for you to never interfere in her business." Vinyl replied. "She's nasty, she's mean, and extremely unpredictable. And that stuff that hit you? The confetti, glitter, paste, freshly made pie?"

Sonata nodded.

"That's her calling card. She's not just unpredictable, but she uses party supplies which are meant to be fun, and turns them into violent instruments of destruction." Vinyl replied, using a hankerchief and rubbing off some more of the confetti from her face.

"But why would she do that?" Sonata asked.

"That I don't understand. But as far as I'm concerned, its best to stay out of her way along with the rest of her friends. They're the nastiest people around here, and they will do anything to hurt anyone, or try and get them to leave this school." Vinyl said.

"Oh. I see..." Sonata rubbed her arm with a sad look.

Vinyl blinked for a second and gave a nervous chuckle. "Also, um... your shirt's kinda..."

Sonata looked down and sighed. "Awww, this stuff will never come out."

"Hey, don't worry. I've got a solution for that. And I know just the stuff that can get those stains off." Vinyl said. She walked over to her bag, and she pulled something out that was folded up. "I don't even use this jacket anymore, and I was wondering if someone else could probably use it. I think this might work on you."

"You sure?" Sonata asked.

"Yeah! Try it on."

Sonata accepted the jacket given to her but she set it down first. She pulled the dirty shirt off of herself, revealing a plain white t-shirt underneath herself which was as clean as a whistle.

"You sure you know what can get this stuff out?" Sonata asked.

"Positive! Now come on, try the jacket!"

Sonata shrugged and she put the jacket on herself, buttoning it up. She stood in front of a mirror and got a full view of it. It had a dark shade of purple for its color, short sleeves, with blue buttons that were holding it together.

"Huh. I don't know why, but I feel like I might have seen something like this somewhere, but I can't help but feel like its missing something..." Sonata said as she looked at herself.

"Spiked bracelets maybe?"

"Maybe? Eh." Sonata shrugged and looked to Vinyl with an appreciative smile. "Thanks for the jacket. Really, thank you."

"Hey, you keep that jacket. Keep it as my way of saying, 'Welcome to CHS'." Vinyl smiled.

Sonata looked up at the clock, checking the time. "Well, I better get to lunch. Thanks for helping me get that stuff off of me, and again, thanks for the jacket."

Sonata was about to exit the room, but Vinyl jumped in the way and blocked the door.

"You can't just go back out there! The Rainbooms could jump you if you step out there like thing's going on." Vinyl worringly said.

"But I've got to eat, I can't go without eating anything."

"I know but..." Vinyl paused for a moment, and snapped her fingers. "How about I walk with you there? I can get you there, and I can make sure any creeps around will stay off your back."

"You don't have to, really, I'm fine--"

"Sonata, please! I insist, I want to keep you safe from those Rainbooms, just let me help you. This place is pretty nasty, and you could use a friend out here..." Vinyl offered.

Sonata titled her head thinking. "Well... I guess, but--"

"Trust me Sonata, you're gonna need someone who knows their way around here."

Vinyl nearly kicked the door opened, and like a flick of a switch, it was like all of the lights in the hallway had all shut off, but one focused on her.

This school is not a good place, for new students all alone

Sonata blinked. "Wait, why are you singing?"

There are lots of twisted people... who commit crimes to the unknown...

"You know you don't have to sing, there uh... there are people staring at us right now--" Sonata said with an embarrassed look.

Vinyl shushed her and stepped in front of her still maintaining her friendly outlook.

Let me guide your way, and I'll be sure to help you through
You could really use a friend out here, and luckily for you...

The light on Vinyl shut off, leaving Sonata in the dark.

"You know, you don't have to sing..." Sonata said in the dark, her hands slapping to her sides.

The light flickered on back to Vinyl again, who was found smirking.

I'm the friend that you need, when you're lost and attacked by bullies
I'm your gal, I'm your bestie!
Generosity is your friend, you'll see!

With my help, you will see, its a plus guaranteed!
You may call and I'll help you just follow my lead...
Cause I'm the friend you need!

A few of the students smirked and pointed a few fingers gestured to her.

She's a friend!
Quite a friend!
She's a friend indeed!

Sonata blinked. "Okay, are you making this up as you go?"

Vinyl just winked and pulled her with her.

"I may have picked up a few things while I was hanging out with a very odd con artists." Vinyl blushed, rubbing the back of her head. "But..."

She pulled Sonata with her down the hallway and they kept walking along.

You need a girl to make your day
a gal to cheer you up
a bestie to brighten up your gray

You need a sis who is sweet, who can patch up your makeup!
A friend who knows when the situation's not astray...

Sonata walked down another hallway, and she froze when she saw a scary looking figure stand across from her. A girl with pink hair and yellow skin sneered at her, and next to her was a cage filled with angry birds. She smirked deviously, ready to open it up and release the swarm onto her.

Don't fear the Sonic Rainbooms, they're scary, yes I know

The girl opened up the cage and the angry birds squawked in rage, all swarming right towards Sonata. But as Sonata ducked, she found herself yanked to the side and out of the swarm's direction with Vinyl.

Why you could use a friend, to protect you wherever you go...

Once the birds were gone and the Rainboom for that matter, Sonata and Vinyl walked back into the hallway, clear from danger. Little did they know that beyond them was Octavia, Trixie, Adagio and Aria who were running down the hallways trying to find Sonata just in time before the inevitable. But as they made another turn, Octavia stopped them all when she heard the music. She raised a hand up, and a look of horror struck her face.

"Oh no, not this song again!" Octavia whined.

"What song?"

Now you are in luck!

Sonata and Vinyl came around the corner both with cheery expressions and Vinyl kept singing.

Because I'm the friend that you need, when you're lost and attacked by bullies
I'm your gal, I'm your bestie!
Generosity is your friend, you'll see!

And my help you will see, its a plus, guaranteed!
You can ask and I will help you, lets move on, proceed!

Sonata stepped through the cafeteria door with Vinyl opening the door for her. Once Sonata walked through, Vinyl whipped out her phone and spoke into it.

"Lyra, tell Bon Bon I think we just found another girl for our little social group. She's an absolute sweetheart, and I think she just might be the one..."

She hung up, and once she finished her call, she started to finish her song.

Because I'm the friend you need!!!
(She's a friend!)

Sonata chimed in with a silly grin.

Quite a friend!
She's a friend indeed!

The cafeteria doors slammed, leaving the four girls alone in the hall all to ponder--

"What the FLYING FEATHER did we just see?" Aria asked.