• Published 11th Dec 2017
  • 9,426 Views, 426 Comments

The Empath and the Sociopath - Justice3442



Sunset moves into her new duplex, but her roommate seems like she's a bit on the 'strange side'. Or more accurately, the 'completely psychotic and probably into all the crimes, all of them', side.

  • ...
22
 426
 9,426

Sunset wakes up with a hangover.

With a sudden, hard blow and a painful, jarring ‘klunk’ to her jaw, Sunset woke up, greeting the day with an “OW!” and an “Ughhh…” as her head let her know it did not approve of the revels she had last afternoon… and night… and maybe some of the morning…

Bleary-eyed, she looked around and took quick note that she was not in her room, but surrounded on two sides by leather with a nearly empty bottle of vodka in front of her face on a ridiculously nice coffee table. Past that was Chrysi’s massive TV and awesome home-entertainment setup. Also, sitting was currently a problem. As it turned out, there was a mess of dark cerulean hair on her chest attached to the head of Sunset’s slumbering roommate, it’s proximity to her chin likely the result of the aforementioned chin attack.

Sunset let out another groan and tried to recount what happened yesterday. She and Chrysi had started drinking as Chrysi put on “one of the greatest comedies of all time” and that, of course, turned out to be Dawn Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’. Chrysi laughed pretty much the entire time as both of them drank. Chrysi made more of her delicious food with names Sunset had never heard before, warning Sunset that some of it had meat in it, which didn’t stop Sunset at all… Though, guess that was nice of Chrysi?

Uhhh… What happened next... More drinks, the good, but not as ‘funny’ prequel to ‘The Thing’… And just… more drinks and movies until Sunset passed out. Sunset frowned as she glanced outside, noting it was quite bright. Shit… What time is it? There she was, trapped under her roommate, wearing the exact same clothes she was wearing yesterday. Granted, if she showed up to school with what she was wearing, no one might notice… Well… Rarity had a keen eye and might take note that it was, in fact, the exact SAME outfit and not one that looked like it and…

‘Snniiff…’

Okay, the faint smell of alcohol might be a clue to anyone who hugged her, maybe Pinkie… Unless Pinkie somehow covered her with paint, or Jell-O, or like…marshmallow filled hot fudge before their hug… It was a long shot but it was known to happen.

There was a soft, dark whisper of a murmur as Sunset felt something cozy up to her chest.

Right, first thing is first. “Chrysi! Chrysi!” Sunset whispered in a harsh tone. “Get offa me!”

Chrysi smacked her lips and simply curled up closer to Sunset on the couch.

Sunset groaned. Wait… Why am I whispering. Chrysi!” Sunset exclaimed. “Get offa me!”

Before Sunset could react, a slender, ashen hand suddenly smacked her on the face.

Ow! Chrysi! What the hell?!”

“Snooze!”

“What?!”

Chrysi smacked Sunset in the face again.

“Ow!”

Need more snooze!”

With an annoyed groan, Sunset arched her back and pivoted sending Chrysi to the floor like a very surprised rag-doll. Sunset sat up. “Stop that! Do you know what—?” Sunset’s heart skipped a beat as she noticed Chrysi, laying on her back and pointing something rectangular at her face, however, Sunset quickly got ahold of her sense. “Oh… Hold that pose!” she requested

“… WHAT?!” Chrysi replied in confusion seemingly combined with a fair amount of adrenalin.

Sunset looked forward towards the table, reached out, and grabbed something from it. She quickly got to her feet and pointed her own black, rectangular object at Chrysi with both hands. “There, perfect,” she said.

Chrysi’s eyes went wide and for a moment, Sunset was sure she saw fear in them, but they quickly narrowed to a somewhat bemused expression. “Sunset… What the fuck do you think you’re pointing at me?”

“The stereo remote… What the fuck do you think you’re pointing at me?”

“Uh…” Chrysi frowned as she glanced at the item in her hand, perhaps noting for the first time what it actually was. “The TV remote,” Chrysi answered with an expression that tried to say ‘I knew that all along’ but didn’t quite hit the bullseye. “Can I get up now?”

“That depends…”

Chrysi narrowed her eyes. “Depends on what?”

“Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?” Sunset said in a smug, vaguely menacing tone.

Chrysi’s eyes suddenly widened, then closed, and then she laughed. It was similar to the laugh she had while watching movies, but somehow even more uncontrolled and free. Despite the limited space Chrysi was in she ended up rolling over, still laughing.

Smiling to herself, Sunset tossed her remote on the couch. She suddenly frowned as if remembering something and looked down. “Oh… Still wearing pants… good…” she said, taking note that she was almost fully clothed except for her boots.

Chrysi’s laughter abated slightly and she looked up at Sunset with a mixture of confusion and amusement.

Sunset patted herself down, lifting her pant waist and shirt collar slightly to look down.

Chrysi suddenly wasn’t so amused. “What the hell is wrong with you now?!” she demanded.

“I’m completely unmolested!” Sunset exclaimed.

Still lying on the ground, Chrysi pursed her lips in confusion and tightened her forehead making it look like she was giving Sunset a confused scowl. “Well… It’s pretty early, but give me some coffee and couple drinks and I can—”

“No!” Sunset snapped.

Chrysi gave Sunset a somewhat hurt look, her confusion returning. “I… are you sad you went through the night unmolested, or not?!”

“Not,” Sunset answered simply. “Uh, look… Nothing personal… I just have this one acquaintance that I’m more used to than I care to admit getting drunk with and we just sort of end up having sex as a result.”

Chrysi narrowed her eyes. “Who is this man? It sounds like he needs to be taught a valuable, potentially permanent, lesson.”

“It’s a woman.”

“Oh… Who is this woman?!” Chrysi hissed out in a demanding tone. “It sounds like she needs to be taught—”

“Ugh, I’m going to stop you right there,” Sunset said. “There’s no way you meeting her is going to go down how you’re picturing right now.”

Chrysi smiled wickedly and held out an arm that Sunset grasped as she hauled Chrysi to her feet. Even without her platform boots, Chrysi still stood a good several inches above Sunset. “Maybe I don’t show up myself. Maybe I said some ‘friends’ to—”

Sunset shook her head. “Yeah, I understand you mean well, in your own twisted way, but Adagio is no push-over and she has two psychotic roommates/sisters/girlfriends or whatever who are pretty dangerous in their own right… Besides…” Sunset thought for a moment. “I mean… I’m upset, but with Adagio it’s like… like… the more time you spend with her, ideas like ‘consent’ and ‘not having sex at this exact moment ‘ become unknowable regardless of what an obnoxious cunt she’s being. Or maybe they somehow happen quicker the more of a cunt she’s being and you somehow always end up in bed with her after a while, covered with hair and fluids and mostly unable to piece together how you got there except it’s awesome, terrible, great, and shameful all at the same time.”

Chrysi’s forehead wrinkled further, but slowly, a mischievous smile began to spread across her face.

“Oh, geez. Forget I said anything!” Sunset insisted. She sighed. “What time is it?”

Chrysi quickly checked her left wrist. “11:30 in the AM.” She frowned heavily, “So early…” she uttered.

Sunset groaned. “I’ve already missed half of school!” She took a few steps towards the stairwell. “I’ve got to get going.” Sunset suddenly felt something tightly grip her shoulder and turned to see Chrysi staring at her in confusion.

“Why?” Chrysi uttered simply.

“I just told you that I’m late for school!”

Chrysi nodded. “Yes, but what you said made no sense.”

Sunset’s forehead tightened. “Look, I know you went to school…” She pursed her lips as she felt her eyes narrow. “Unless that was a lie.”

Chrysi raised an eyebrow. “I never talked to you about going to school. Are you upset because your information you, yourself, uncovered might be in error?”

Sunset felt her composure break. “Er… Okay… but… You did go and graduate Crystal Prep, right? I er… I understand you did pretty well…”

Chrysi nodded. “I played their silly little game for more years than I care to admit, yes.”

“So, you, you know… Got up early, showed up to class, took tests, all that?”

Chrysi smirked. “If I answer that, will you tell me about your school?”

“Canterlot High?” Sunset replied in confusion. “I mean… it’s just a boring old high school,” that happens to have a magical portal to a realm of horses, also magical, right on its grounds and this idea is REALLY bad! Maybe, you can dissuade her! Sunset put on her best, smiling poker-face, which was nothing short of perfection if she did say so herself. “Nothing interesting happens there! What could you possibly want to know?”

Chrysi shook her head. “Oh, not that school.” Her smile widened. “The one you went to before Canterlot High. Perhaps it was still in Canterlot?”

Sunset fought the urge to instinctively tense. “Okay, forget it. Thanks for the movies and not trying to get into my pants.”

Chrysi gave Sunset another slightly confused expression. “You’re… welcome?”

Sunset nodded. “I’m late and—“

“For what?!” Chrysi stressed.

“For school!”

“Why does that matter?!”

“Because it’s school!”

“That’s a bullshit response and you know it, Sunset Shimmer,” Chrysi replied. “Either that or you’re not as smart as you pretend to be.”

“I…” Sunset trailed off and thought for a moment. She had missed classes, sure, but the information was either stuff she already knew or basically worthless to her given her options. I mean, she was a coronation away from being a princess in a land with magic and her mental abilities far exceed that of pretty much all her ‘peers’… as well as some of her teachers… Why did she bother with school?

A sudden soft rumbling sound caught Sunset’s attention. She turned towards the table and noted a flat, rectangular item in an orange, rubber case doing a little dance on the table. “Hold that thought,” Sunset said. She bent down and reached for her phone, cringing as she looked at the screen. She began swiping at the surface. “Seriously, guys?!” she uttered to herself.

Yawning, Chrysi side stepped Sunset and headed for the stairs.

“Oh my GOD, my friends are crazy paranoid about you!”

Chrysi stopped only a few steps up the stairs and turned to rest her chin on her folded arms on the guardrail. She smiled mischievously at Sunset. “Reeeeally?” she purred out. “What do they say?”

Sunset groaned and stormed to the stairs. “All kinds of crazy things involving illicit substances for one! Ugh… so stupid…”

Chrysi nodded. “It was just the one…”

Sunset reached the stairs and maneuvered pass Chrysi then continued upwards. “There’s all this stuff about kidnapping! Me getting pulled into a life of crime…” Sunset paused and frowned heavily at what she was reading.

Chrysi let out a small chuckle. “Dare I ask?”

“Nothing,” Sunset said shaking her head. “Just… Fluttershy is awfully concerned about my orifices… Never thought I read the sentence ‘Won’t somebody PLEASE think of the orifices!’” Sunset cried dramatically. She let out a tired sigh.

“It sounds like your friends care an awful lot about you.”

Sunset paused and looked down at Chrysi. That last sentence sounded like it had a touch of melancholy to it… perhaps longing? It was impossible to tell from the woman’s expression, though. She had a hell of a poker face for sure.

“Uh… Yeah…” Sunset replied.

Her phone buzzed again.

Sunset groaned. “I gotta take care of this!” she declared.

Chrysi simply nodded as Sunset retreated upstairs and marched down the hall to her room, furiously swiping and poking at her phone the whole time. As soon as she got into her room she noted the soft thumping of a vibration, not unlike her phone, but instead, it was coming from above her in her loft. With a snarl, Sunset stormed across her room to her stairs and marched up them. She kneeled at the top of her stairs in front of a nightstand and opened it, revealing a hardbound book with her cutie mark vibrated and flashed red in the drawer. She quickly snatched it up and rummaged through the drawer to find a ballpoint pen.

Sunset flipped the book to partially written on page that read, ‘Sunset! Sunset! The girls think you’re in trouble! Blink ‘once’ for ‘you’re fine’ twice for ‘you’re in danger! Pinkie! We can’t see here! How is that going to help us?! Oh, right… I mean… I thought it would be a good sign in case she was being held hostage but it doesn’t work with a book, hehe. Why are you writing this down! Why are you? After a mess of what looked like frustrated scribbles, the book continued, ‘Write me back as soon as you can!’

Sunset let out another aggravated snarl as she sat on her bed and began to write, ‘Everything is under control. Situation normal.’

Words suddenly flashed onto the page in front of Sunset in a golden, glittery light that seemed applied with near machine-like precision. ‘You’re not at school! What happened?!’

Grunting in displeasure, Sunset continued writing, ‘Had a slight timing miscalculation. But everything’s perfectly all right now. I’m fine. I’m all fine here, now, thank you.’ Sunset paused for a moment then added, ‘How are you?’

‘Better now that I’ve confirmed you haven’t been murdered!’

‘No. Quite alive… thank you.’

‘Okay, but are you in a trunk?!’

Sunset paused for a moment as her face twisted in confusion before she began to write again. ‘What?!’

‘Pinkie came to find me when you didn’t show up for school. The girls thought you might be captured, tied up, and put in a trunk somewhere!’

‘I… No! Don’t you have anything better to do right now then bug pester me?’

‘HONESTLY, I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO!’

Sunset simply sat and stared at the words for a second, wondering what possessed Twilight to write them in the first place until she realized the penmanship had completely changed.

‘Starlight! Stop interfering and stop looming over me!’

‘NOT UNTIL YOU TELL SUNSET I SAID ‘HI!’

‘Well, you just wrote that yourself in the book… and I keep writing what I’m saying for some stupid reason and’ The words suddenly ceased, replaced by angry, heavy squiggles that covered a great deal of the sentences above them.

‘Tell Starlight, I said “hi”,’ Sunset wrote.

‘Siiiighh…’

‘DID YOU ACTUALLY WRITE OUT AN EXAGGERATED SIGH?! HAHA! THAT’S TOO MUCH.’

“Sunset read your greeting and said ‘hi’ back! Now go away!’

‘Twilight, while I appreciate what is even more unexpected insanity visited on my week, this is really no big deal.”

‘Sunset, you’re my friend! If you’re tied up in a trunk somewhere in trouble, then that deserves my FULL attention!’

‘If I were in a trunk tied up, how would I be able to write you back?!’

“Well… You could be writing with your mouth! Your kidnappers wouldn’t think of that!”

‘What?! Twilight, I appreciate that you think I have some sort of lip and neck dexterity! But, no! There’s no way I could write this fast to you without the use of my hands!’

‘Okay… But are you writing to me under duress?!’

‘Twilight! I’m fine!’

‘One ellipsis for ‘you’re fine’, two for ‘I need help!’

‘…’

There was a long pause as Sunset waited for more words to appear.

‘DAMNIT, TWILIGHT! I’M NOT BIDING MY TIME TO STAB THREE MORE DOTS ONTO THE PAGE!’

‘Okay! Okay! But, are you SURE you haven’t been sold into sex slavery?!’

‘What! YES?! How would I be unsure of that?! Why would you even ask that? Was that also the girls asking?!’

‘Just Fluttershy, according to Pinkie.’

‘*sigh*← Pretend you just heard me sigh right now.’

‘Yeah, I got it.’

‘I’m fine! I just overslept.’

‘WHAT?! No! I don’t believe you.’

‘You don’t believe I overslept for school?’ Sunset could feel her left eye twitch.

‘No. I. Do. Not!’ Twilight answered. ‘You… You… Imposter!’

‘Twilight, if it was someone besides me, wouldn’t, they, you know, write back to you weirdly and not in my handwriting, and it would be super obvious it wasn’t me?’

The page remanded blank for a good few moments.

‘Well?!’

‘I’M THINKING!’

‘Oh, my gosh, Twilight! It’s me!’

‘Well prove it! Tell me something only you would know!’

‘What… Seriously?’

‘Yes, seriously!’

‘*eye roll* ← Pretend I just rolled my eyes’— the words ‘I got it!’ hit the page before Sunset finished. She continued on the next line.

‘Okay… So, when I was young and had only been Celestia’s adopted daughter for less than a year, she had her birthday which was… some huge number that I can’t remember…’

‘The MORE details the better, fake Shimmer!’

‘Gimme a break! I was like… 9! Anyhow, the cake was incredible. So good that Celestia wanted to thank the cake maker personally, and then she disappeared with him for almost an hour, and… well… thinking back on it, I’m pretty sure Mom had sex with the baker as a way of saying “thank you” for that huge, delicious cake.’

‘WHAT?!’

‘I know, right? I mean 9 years old me had no possible way to figure out that’s what was going on, but now that I’m older’ Sunset was cut off by hastily scribbled words asking, ‘HOW THE HELL WOULD I VERIFY THIS?!’

‘Ask Celestia? I mean… Just pen a letter to Spike and I’m sure she’ll—‘

‘I’M NOT TELLING SPIKE TO TAKE A LETTER AND ASK CELESTIA IF SHE FUCKED A BAKER DURING HER 1,127th BIRTHDAY PARTY!’

Sunset’s face tightened in annoyance. ‘So I need to come up with ANOTHER example of how it’s totally me?!’

‘That would be helpful. Yes.’

‘Okay… So. I was older, like… maybe 10, and we were having a big celebration to ‘recognize the guards’ deeds.’ Which was dumb because they’re actually not all that useful as far as I can tell, but I think Mom got a little tipsy trying -and mostly succeeding in- drinking the guards under the table. She started to insist it was getting late to me and that I should go to bed, but I didn’t want to, but she seemed to be practically begging Kibitz to put me to bed and she kept on looking at all the guards with these hungry eyes and licking her lips, and…’

‘DO YOU HAVE ANY PROOF THAT DOESN’T INVOLVE CELESTIA ALLEGEDLY HAVING SEX?!’

‘I don’t know! Most of what I say to you is in this journal and if I was soooo crafty that I copied Sunset’s handwriting perfectly and got her WRITING mannerisms down, I’m sure I’d have read this whole thing front-to-back and just tell you something from the book that anyone in this position would have read, but hope all the sex talk had disarmed you enough you’d buy it and leave me alone when I lifted something from the book of most of our secret conversations!’

Again, there was a pause before the response. This one much longer than the previous. Eventually, sparkling, golden words replied. ‘Can you just meet me at your school?’

‘Yes, Twilight. I need to get ready, but I can meet you face-to-face at school.’

‘Okay. But if you need to get to class, I can’ Sunset began to write or scribble, irritation flowing down from her body into her pen. ‘I’LL GO STRAIGHT TO THE MIRROR, TWILIGHT! CHILL!’ Sunset snapped the book shut and sighed heavily to herself. She quickly grabbed a ‘change’ of clothing and exited her room. Storming down the hall, she stopped at Chrysi’s door and smacked her fist against it.

There was a sound of grumbling, a sound of tumbling that made Sunset cringe, and a loud ‘pomf’! After a moment of Sunset’s heart pounding in her chest, she heard the sound of someone clambering across a wooden floor and the door opened to reveal a, perhaps slightly frazzled, Chrysi standing in her doorway. “What?!” Chrysi hissed out in an annoyed tone.

“I’m going to go to school,” Sunset said.

“That’s still dumb. Why?!” Chrysi frowned. “If you don’t mind me asking,” she amended.

Sunset sighed. “My friends think you may have kidnapped me and forced me to become a sex slave… Well… at least one of them does.”

Chrysi looked Sunset up and down. “Tempting, but you clearly have a lot of friends who’d miss you and start asking annoying questions.”

“Okay. Just. What?”

“I mean, a girl like you would clearly fetch a great price, but there are risks and I’m a prime suspect, so—”

“UGH! Forget it!” Sunset said. “I’m going to wash up and head out.”

Chrysi simply nodded. “Right, have fun. As much fun as you can have without me surprise-molesting you in the bathroom.” Chrysi’s sleepy expression suddenly went full devil. “Unless you WANT me to —“

“GOING NOW!” Sunset announced as she made an about-face from Chrysi’s door and headed towards the shared bathroom. From behind her, she could hear Chrysi’s amused, if tired laugh, before the door shut. Grumbling to herself about paranoid friends, an easily-worked-up princess pen pal, and a roommate more than happy to feed into their fears, Sunset threw open the door to the bathroom, tossed her clean clothes on the sink, and began to strip down. Her friends were going to make it one of those days. One of those awkward, ‘we’re just worried about you Sunset Shimmer’ days that somehow came along with this whole friendship thing.

I mean… was it that big a deal she had used a fake ID to get alcohol and get drunk with her new roommate that may or may not be some sort of psychopathic gangster?

Author's Note:

Managed to get something out this week despite all the activity and pain in my face from falling down stairs and breaking the fall with my head, mostly (see recent blog post for details)!