• Published 11th Dec 2017
  • 9,450 Views, 426 Comments

The Empath and the Sociopath - Justice3442



Sunset moves into her new duplex, but her roommate seems like she's a bit on the 'strange side'. Or more accurately, the 'completely psychotic and probably into all the crimes, all of them', side.

  • ...
22
 426
 9,450

A Profound Sense of Emu-ee part 1: Winding down

Author's Note:

Interrupting our (ir)regular scheduled programming to kick off a series of short, connected stories that will scan multiple fics of mine.


Have fun piecing them together!

With closed eyes and a content smile that looked very much like a feline that had just devoured a smaller, more delicious, house pet, Chrysi rested her massive black platform boots on a heavy oak coffee table. She took a long drag from a nozzle at the end of a transparent hose which was, in turn, hooked attached to a clear cylinder filled halfway with water and halfway with white smoke.

The water bubbled as the sweet apple and cinnamon-spiced smoke filled her mouth and lungs. Holding her breath for a brief while, her smile grew as a pleasant haze came over her. Radiating from her core and seeping out to her very fingertips.

Yes, this was a very rare moment of—

‘SLAM!’

“ALL OF MY HATE!

…peace.

Chrysi’s eyes fluttered open as she gave her roommate a nonplussed look. This was hardly a rare occurrence, as it were. Sunset Shimmer was sweaty, haggard-looking, and covered in scratches. Chrysi took another drag from her hookah and mentally ran through the last few days to figure out if she was perhaps indirectly responsible for this. Having concluded reasonably she was not; considered informing her roommate that a leather jacket, as opposed to a VEST would have protected her arms from… whatever it was that attacked her. Though stopping Sunset from walking around looking like she was waiting for the world to finally go full cyberpunk was an action Chrysi knew Rarity had attempted once and the response was with screaming, threats of violence, and ‘Haxoring your shit, Rararar!’ … whatever that meant.

She elected to say nothing and instead watched as her roommate ran for the first object that apparently satisfied her primal urge to pick up and smash something to make herself feel better. In this case, the houses Ultra-Hd Blu Ray Player sitting next to a massive TV that covered most of the room on the far wall.

Sunset grabbed the rectangular object, RIPPED it from its power, and held it over her head.

GRAAAAAAAAAAA—

“Top of the line,” Chrysi said coolly. “Not easy to replace.”

Sunset took one of the world’s angriest sighs to date and set the device back where it was, taking the time to plug it back in. Standing back up with a crazed look on her eye and scanned the room for potential targets.

Chrysi noticed the angry turquoise eyes settle on the glass hookah briefly. “Also top of the line,” Chrysi said in the same cool tone as before. “I’m using it. Smashing it might start a fire, and I’d cripple your leg or legs temporarily before you got close enough to reasonably try for our safety and also because ‘no’.”

Sunset wrinkled up her lips as angrily as possible and continued to scan the room. “Chrysi! Everything in this room is either too heavy to throw or too expensive to throw. Mostly both!”

“You’re welcome,” Chrysi answered simply as she took another drag.

Sunset performed the one-woman act of ‘The most dramatic ‘Uggggghhhhh!’ of my life and walk over to my roommates massive leather sectional’. A production that ran fairly often to an audience of one and always ended in Sunset laying sideways, facing the massive TV as her head rested on a pair of firm thighs and ashen fingers, surprisingly affectionately, ran through her red and yellow hair.

“There, there,” Chrysi said plainly. Finally, she inserted some inflection into her tone. “Shall I contact your friends and tell them you require an emergency slumber party?”

Sunset shook her head.

“Are they part of the problem?”

Sunset nodded her head.

“Are they the cause of the problem?” Chrysi asked coldly.

Sunset didn’t respond and Chrysi could feel Sunset’s jaw move back and forth as if the woman was considering if she should answer or not.

Chrysi simply continued stroking Sunset’s hair. THIS exchange was also common.

“Emus…” Sunset muttered.

Chrysi’s lips contorted slightly. “What?”

“Emus!” Sunset repeated in a more exasperated tone.

Chrysi blinked. “As in the large… flightless birds that are native to the country of Australia.”

“YES!” Sunset replied.

“…”

“…”

“Pinkie Pie?” Chrysi offered.

Sunset grunted a ‘negative’.

Chrysi thought for a few seconds then let out her own tired sigh. “Sonata Dusk?”

“… Yeeeeeaaaaaah…” Sunset admitted.

Chrysi winced then looked over to a black cylindrical device across the room. “Computer!” she called out in a raised voice. “Play ‘Sunset’s relaxation mix’.”

Sunset immediately sat up, a smile on her face as the mixed sounds of guitar and brass filled the air.

“I’ll get us some drinks to relax with,” Chrysi informed which was met by a silent nod as Sunset’s tight features slowly melted into something far more tranquil.

Chrysi got to her feet and quickly shimmied past Sunset as the male band began to sing a repeating “Woahh Wa-ooo, Wa-ohhh-ohh-ohh.” Quickly, ice was added to glasses and an amber substance poured into each. With nearly inhuman speed, Chrysi was back on the section, sitting next to Sunset Shimmer who eagerly sipped her whiskey as the lyrics sang out:

“I tried to forgive!”

“I tried to live my let live!”

“But everyone else is an asshole!”

Chrysi reached forward and produced two square marble coasters, which she pulled closer to the girls, and a very large black remote and started pushing buttons. The massive TV screen flickered to life, bathing the pair in a white glow. “So, what would—”

“John Wick 3!” Sunset cried in elation. She took a deep breath and let it out, sinking back into the sectional. “I need something with a body count… a high one!”

Chrysi let out the slightest of chuckles as an icepick smile chiseled onto her face. “Death by anger and firearms… my favorite.”

There was the clink of a glass hitting stone as Sunset’s red-and-yellow locks once again fell onto Chrysi’s thighs. The hand holding the remote was suddenly ceased in a moderately forceful ‘pet me and tell me I’m pretty’ fashion. Before Chrysi could react or even resume her gentle hair stroking she saw an unworldly flash of light flood Sunset’s eyes followed by the woman’s smile going full demonic.

“I know…” Sunset replied in a tone hers, yet… somehow filled with reverb.

Chrysi swallowed and glanced away. Somehow, she got the impression Sunset just saw something she wasn’t supposed to see and her roommate’s reaction was one of elation instead of revile. This worried Chrysi far more than the reverse. She risked a glance down and wished she hadn’t.

Sunset’s expression had barely changed, in fact, Chrysi finally understood what must have been an experience not too dissimilar to the last thing MANY people Chrysi encountered must have seen. Sunset looked at her like she was looking at a perfectly cooked steak and said steak was going to enjoy being eaten. Chrysi’s heart all at once felt anxious, scared, and… excited… other parts were clearly feeling… aroused.

“Scareroused,” Sunset said.

“Ex…excuse me?” Chrysi replied.

“Scareroused,” Sunset repeated. “That’s the ‘vibe’ I’m feeling from you.”

Chrysi held Sunset’s gaze for a bit, somewhat at a loss of how to react, but she knew better than to look away from someone who had such a deadly look on her face. However, Sunset’s interest soon waned back to the TV and Chrysi could feel her roommate's body relax once more as the sounds of bullets fired and screams shout out from the sound system around them.

After some time Chryi also relaxed and resumed enjoying her beverage and smokables. “… Emus…?” she asked.

Sunset simple nodded. “Emus.”

“… Huh.”

Sunset’s body tensed briefly as she took in another deep breath, then let it out. “…Emus…” she said in a hollow whisper like a dying millionaire letting out his last word as he dropped a snow globe to the ground.

“…So many emus…”

To be continued in Totally Random!