• Published 11th Dec 2017
  • 1,758 Views, 90 Comments

Whither Must I Wander - thelegendarytoothpaste

  • ...
2
 90
 1,758

Chapter 5ive

Pinkie's proclamations were always right.

It was just the way of things. She was right because she was right. She was right because she was pink. She was pink because she was right and right is pink and pink is pink.

It made perfect sense.

Her proclamations always came true within minutes of being made, with a few exceptions (some took up to an hour!) A twitchy tail meant something was going to fall, and sure enough, something fell. Typically within five minutes.

A doozy, however, is just that: A doozy. How was Pinkie supposed to know when they would come true? She's not a miracle worker, after all! Some ponies, man.

The day she made the prediction ended with nothing out of the ordinary occurring, though ordinary is admittedly a stretch in Ponyville. The others were no less wary into the night, however. It would be just like a doozy to wait for them to fall asleep before it occurred.

Then the next day came without any sign of a mishap. Now a few eyebrows were raised. Pinkie insisted that her sense was on point, however, and the others remained wary.
Then two days passed.
Then three.

Then four. The others began to lose heart that she was right, and tried to convince her that maybe, just maybe, this was the one time her sense gave her a false alarm.

It was something Pinkie denied. Her Pinkie Sense was never wrong. It told her when Twilight would finally accept her sense, and Twilight was the most logical pony Pinkie knew! It even told her when Chuckie learned that his birth mom was gone, though she was not entirely sure who they were. She had made a feel better cake for him anyway and then promptly ate it.

Nonetheless, her friends had finally dismissed the doozy. Perhaps Pinkie simply mistook a random body spasm as one this time? It wouldn't be unusual. They happened to Derpy Hooves once every seven days.

None of them were aware of what was brewing so close to them.


Link liked to think that he saw a lot in his short life.

He dealt with a giant spider that was killing the deity of the woods, the Great Deku Tree from within. He killed a giant fire breathing lizard whose hide was nearly impenetrable until weakened by explosives. He fought some kind of amoeba that protected itself by countless jellyfish.

And that was just Mondays for him.

He dealt with almost every type of foe, from gelatinous blobs to the undead, from bats to his fellow man.

Almost every type of foe.

He never had to fight a giant wolf beast made from sticks before. And he certainly never fought a giant wolf beast made from sticks that would constantly regenerate itself.

He was just wandering the trees, and the creature leapt out at him. It was huge! The monster towered over his head. It must have been three times the size of Ganondorf, and when Link battled Ganondorf, he only came up to the man's chest. And that was when he had gone into the future and aged seven years!

The biggest advantage this wooden wolf had was its size.

The wooden wolf smashed its head into the dirt before it, attempting to rip Link to shreds, but Link was nothing if not agile. He rolled out of the way safely.

The biggest limitation the wooden wolf had was also its size. Link, being smaller and more nimble, was able to avoid the wolf's thrashing and smashing with relative ease. He would find openings then, and cut at the wolf. It was Link's typical M.O. when it came to dealing with tough threats- slowly and methodically attack and weaken the enemy until it succumbed.

And succumb the wooden wolf did. It eventually collapsed in a shower of twigs, but it quickly reformed itself and Link was back at square one.

He lost track of how long his battle with the monster was, but he was not known as the Hero of Time for nothing. Link found that slicing the sticks that made up the beast into mere splinters or fragments was enough to keep it from regenerating. However, ultimately stopping the beast for good took great effort, and while Link did not suffer serious injury in the fight, it did leave him with a few bumps and bruises.

Ultimately, when the monster collapsed for the final time into the dusty dirt underfoot, Link fell to his rear and caught his breath. He pulled a splinter out of an arm, and looked out at the expanse of trees again. Perhaps it was time to go home and re-arm himself.

He was not sure if he would ever find this area of the Lost Woods again, but he didn't want to bet his life on anything. Having collected himself, Link turned about, and set out. If he walked the wrong way long enough he would find Kokiri Village before he knew it. Such was the magic of the Lost Woods.

Just not the magic of the Everfree.
End of Chapter