• Published 11th Dec 2017
  • 1,758 Views, 90 Comments

Whither Must I Wander - thelegendarytoothpaste

  • ...
2
 90
 1,758

Leave blank for auto-named chapter

Nobody could deny that Link saw a lot in his young life. He was familiar with the use of a blade since he was around 5 years old. He was far from perfect, mind you- he'd been bested several times in his life, though each time was at the hands of a friendly who he was sparring with. Saria was terrific with the bow but trained him in swordplay too, Darunia was masterful at blocking and taught him to use his shield as a weapon, and Malon was borderline unstoppable when it came to archery and swordplay on horseback.

He'd seen a lot. It even surprised Majora when Link betrayed little in terms of shock at her apparent possession of the Skull Kid. He didn't even hesitate when she fled to the Moon. He simply followed.

Link's mind was currently on hold, however. Something broke in that dome of his and he couldn't quite figure out anything that was going on right now.

He saw no sign of any Kokiri, Hylians, Gorons, or Zora that may occupy this house, and there were telltale signs for any of them- Kokiri kept a lot of simple weapons made of bone in their homes to demonstrate their hunting prowess, Hylians were known for being finicky about their decor and would always decorate with the nicest pottery they could, Gorons kept rocks literally everywhere, and Zoras mainly lived in the water.

In other words, the only sign of intelligence he found so far was that of the rabbit and the pegasus. That meant that the house probably belonged to one or both of them. Judging by the rabbit's keeping him company while the pegasus straightened up and moved stuff around, the home probably belonged to the enormous equine.

Link swallowed, though he had no saliva left. Everything in this house was huge compared to him. It made him feel insignificant.

The pegasus was babbling in her nonsensical language here and there, but was using few words from what he could tell. It seemed like she was cleaning up for his sake, though the room honestly did not need too much in the way of cleaning. He didn't want to make reference to the water again because he feared being considered rude, and also he wasn't entirely sure she was asking if he was thirsty in the first place. Perhaps the gulping pantomime was this culture's way of saying "It is a pleasure to have you"? Maybe it's the complete opposite and turned out to be a grievous insult?

In reality, she was just making sure the dust was under control in the room, lest it aggravate his wounds. She would feel just awful if something like that happened.

Also, she was pretty confident she had a bottle in the room somewhere and wasn't certain where she left it. But mostly the dust thing, darn it!

The pegasus appeared to grin- grin at Link sheepishly. Link did not stare at her for too long. Where he was from, maintained eye contact like that was a challenge. The Kokiri were known to fight each other over it. It was okay to look at someone's eyes for a few moments, but stare too long and you might end up in an altercation you did not intend for. It was considered humble and polite for the Kokiri to avert their gazes from the eyes of anyone. The eyes contained the soul, and to stare into one's soul was very intrusive and downright rude.

Link was thirsty.


Fluttershy was perplexed.

The creature seemed to be going to great lengths to avoid looking at her. She knew she did not sleep much the night before, but did she really look so ragged? Perhaps she needed a spa day more than she realized.

She shook her head a bit to clear it. Maybe he was just shy or scared. She was quite a bit bigger than he was, and most of her furniture dwarfed him as well. She figured he needed time to get used to the size difference.

As with any other animal, Fluttershy resolved to crouch down and appear smaller to him when she fetched him water.

She looked down at the bottle in her hoof. It was the same one she used to feed many a baby animal in her care since she first arrived in Ponyville. She even fed Angel Bunny with it when he was a newborn.

She sighed sadly. Fluttershy had taken in Angel when he was too young to even open his eyes. His mother had died shortly after giving birth, and his siblings were living with other families. When it came time to give him up, however, Angel was beyond distraught and did not want to leave her. He threw tantrums and fits with any family that may have wanted him and calmed down only when he was allowed to stay with her. He could be really mean, but he did love Fluttershy and would do anything for her.

She gave her head a shake and looked at the creature and Angel. Angel seemed to be trying to get a staring contest out of him and the creature was again going to great lengths to avoid eye contact. She wanted to help him break that habit.

First, however, it would do if she could wash the bottle she was holding and give the poor creature the water it probably very much needed by now.


Link was amazed.

The pegasus was not using her mouth to hold the bottle. It was not being balanced on her back. It was not on a plate or anything of the sort.

She was actually holding it in her hoof, as if it were a piece of metal and her hoof was a magnet. Link wondered if Epona could ever be trained to do something like that. Probably not. Epona wasn't very bright.

His fascination was only further magnified when she appeared to pull the rubber nipple off the top of the bottle, leaving a cup for Link to sip from. She had hooves, not fingers or toes to work with!

Link eyed the glass with trepidation, but hesitantly took it from her. His fingers brushed against her hoof as he took the water and he could find no sign of anything helping her actually grip anything.

How far from home are you, Link?


Something was wrong. Something was very, very wrong.

The entirety of Ponyville was now in grave danger.

The entirety of Equus too, if something didn't change.

What was the horrid conflict that was looming?

Twilight was coming very close to having another episode. An episode on the level of "accidentally causing a mass riot because Princess Celestia did not receive a letter in almost 7 days."

It was funny, really, because this episode was about sending a letter to Celestia too. Only this one did not include a botched spell and a smelly old teddy bear that she was pretty sure Big Mac still possessed.
"<3, Twilight.
P.S. Plz thank Luna 4 moon cake recipe. Spike <3 them."

She grinned while an eye twitched. As if in response, thunder clapped outside. The skies had opened up not long before. She pitied anypony that had to be out there right now. But she had this. She was ready. She was calm. Everything was good. This was going to be okay.

She's got this. She does. No screwing up this time, Twilight. Third time is the charm and all that, forsaken grammar and spelling aside.

The letter was beginning to levitate now, and Twilight felt her heart soar. She was visualizing Celestia on her throne right now, and knew that this time the letter would not miss. Spike was sound asleep, she was as focused as Derpy's vision, and this was going down now.

It was about that moment that Rainbow Dash crashed through the window behind Twilight. The crash startled her enough that her levitation was interrupted, allowing a draft from the storm outside to grab ahold of the parchment and drag it out the now shattered window. It did not last very long against the rain.

Twilight turned her gaze to the dazed pegasus on the floor before her, forelegs spread in front of her and her rear in the air. She grinned sheepishly at Twilight, and gulped when she saw the fire in those eyes.

Twilight decided at that moment that Murphy could die in a fire.
End of Chapter

Author's Note:

What? No, I don't take Ritalin anymore. Why do you ask?