• Published 6th Dec 2011
  • 6,079 Views, 80 Comments

Lord Phantom - GlassAlicorn



Random disasters are going on without relief, and something is very wrong with Twilight...

  • ...
8
 80
 6,079

Who is the Black Alicorn?

Chapter 7: Who is the Black Alicorn?

“How could this happen?!” Luna shrieked, the resolve she had shown at Ponyville all but shattered, “No ordinary magic can break that seal! Especially if the user doesn't even know what and where it is! Sister, what has gone wrong?!” Celestia could only shake her head. “Whoever did this knew what they were after, but why they would do such a thing....I just don't understand.” she replied.

“What are we going to do? Without the seal...”

“We must find a way to repair it. In the meantime, Twilight must stay where she is.”

At this, Luna frowned, the worry on her face washed away and replaced by what appeared to be slight anger. “We need to tell her...” she said seriously. “...No, we can't...” Celestia responded sadly.

“You would have us give no explanation for what is happening to her?!”

“She isn't ready to know... She wouldn't understand...”

“You cannot just lock her away with no reason given and expect her to understand! I do not care if you don't think she is ready; it has already happened, and she must know the truth!”

“...I can only see it making everything worse... Luna, you don't know her like I do...”

“And you...do not care about her the way I do!”

Celestia didn't respond, but her expression turned remorseful. “And even so, I know she is dear to you...” Luna continued, “Why would you even think to lock her away? She trusts you more than anypony else! Would you really corrupt your bond with her?!”

“I do not wish to punish her...” Celestia said slowly, “But the ones hurt by her...darker self will want justice, and as the rulers of Equestria, it is our duty to give it. Believe me, Luna, that cell is the safest place for her to be. If she were allowed to roam free...who knows what those desiring vengeance would do. They may not be able to kill her like a normal pony, but there are fates worse than death...”

Luna was silent for a few tense moments, contemplating everything she had just been told. “Then...let her stay with me.” Luna said seriously. “Pardon me?” Celestia managed to say, taken aback by this.

“Let me keep her in my room. Perhaps even give her a disguise. Nopony will ever know she is missing, I promise you.”

“...And what of your royal duties? If you are absent, the nobles will get suspicious...”

“I can still do what I must. Please understand, it is not me the nobles' eyes are on most. It is you. Surely they would hardly notice or care about a slight change in my behavior or a brief absence, if they even notice or care at all.”

Celestia took a deep breath, relief washing over her face. “I understand...” she replied quietly, “And I trust you...” she noticed Luna's expression take a turn for the better, “However, please give me the time to think this over. We can't afford to be rash.” Luna lowered her head. “I...believe you are right...” she conceded, before levitating a nearby letter, “Now...what of this?”

“...I feel maybe it is best we discuss that at another time... I think you need less things to concern yourself with. For now, this discussion is over.”

“If you deem it so...”

Sighing, Luna set the letter down and left the throne room, not bothering to even give her sister a glance. “...We can't afford to waste any more time.” she whispered to herself, disappearing from Celestia's sight.

Elsewhere...

Twilight let out a groan as she groggily opened her eyelids, seeing nothing but the stone brick floor. Her left ear twitched in confusion, and she raised her head, seeing iron bars in front of her now. She let out a cry and stood upright, the sound of chains rattling and colliding with stone ringing in her ears. Her legs were shackled and the chains connected to them were nestled into the walls to the left and right of her, which made her feel even sicker. But the most striking things she could notice were the shiny, silvery shackles above the dull, iron ones. She could sense magic within them, but couldn't recognize its type.

Twilight ignored her curiosity and decided to remove everything and get out of there. This was all just a misunderstanding! Surely she was put there by accident! Yes, that was it. She'd break out and explain herself to Celestia, and fix everything.

She concentrated on removing the shackles and chains, but found no magic came from her horn. She kept trying and trying, but to no avail. Frantic, she reached her front hooves to her head, feeling for her horn. It was still there, thankfully, but that begged the question of why it wasn't working. She caught a glimpse of herself in a nearby puddle of water, noticing a silvery collar around her neck, above one that seemed to be made of a pure black stone, the latter of which she recognized as an anti-Unicorn magic tool. It was the reason she couldn't use her horn. But she also noticed a pair of wings on her back, which only further puzzled her.

Twilight didn't get the chance to think about it further, as she heard the clopping of hooves on the floor, increasing in volume. She backed away from it, going deeper into the cell until she came to the wall. Part of her hoped it was Celestia, but another part dreaded that possible outcome. After what 'she' had done...she didn't want to face her mentor.

“...You can no longer deny it,” the voice of the black Alicorn informed her, and she looked up, seeing his face, “You know what you became. You have seen it, and most of all, you have felt it.” Twilight's only response was to hang her head low in shame, a stray tear slowly trickling down her face. There was no denying it now; what she had believed to be a lie was the truth.

“But...I must say, you have done well,” he continued, “You have embraced your true nature. Embraced the darkness within you. Tell me...isn't the darkness wonderful?” Twilight shook her head frantically. “No!” she cried, “It's not! And that's not who I really am! I'm not a monster!”

“Oh, but I'm afraid you are.”

“No! I'm not a bad pony...”

“Many would disagree.”

Twilight's ears went flat against the back of her head, as she struggled to find some way to combat his words. “...Why are you doing this?” she finally asked, her voice soft, “Why would you care?” After she had spoken, she began to feel light-headed, and the world around her grew dark as she found herself falling to the ground.

After a few moments, Twilight opened her eyes and was met with a different stone floor. She looked around the area more, finding it to be a ruined castle, and an eerily familiar one at that. She got a white glimpse in the corner of her eye, and turned to face it, seeing a male, white Alicorn lying down on the ground, unconscious.

“You knew him before.” the black Alicorn said bluntly from behind her. “...I don't remember anything about him...” Twilight responded, trying to tear her gaze away from him.

“His name was Eclipse Flare.”

Twilight looked at the black Alicorn curiously, taking note of how he responded. “...Was?” she inquired, “...Is he dead? Did he change his name?” The Alicorn slowly closed his eyes and sighed. “Perhaps you should see for yourself.” he answered. She didn't get a chance to respond, as the world around her swirled.

She found herself in the body of Twilight Despair again, standing in a burning castle. A grin then crept upon her face, despite her inner protest. She gazed at the fire, feeling horrified inside, though her face only showed amusement. She chuckled briefly, then turned her attention down a hallway and started walking.

“Stop.”

She frowned in response to the calm voice, turning to face a male, white Alicorn, whom she recognized as Eclipse Flare. “You say that as if I actually will...” she snapped, pawing at the cracked floor with her front right hoof, “Whatever you wish to say to me, save it. I don't care.” Eclipse shook his head, a hint of sadness on his calm face. “Twilight, why do you insist on making yourself a monster?” was his only question.

She felt herself grit her teeth, “If bringing the true Queen to the throne makes me a monster...then I will wear that title gladly!”

Eclipse opened his mouth to respond, but Twilight never gave him the chance, charging towards him and kicking him in his chest, sending him flying into the wall. “Now tell me...” she said dangerously, grabbing him with her magic, “What does it take to kill an immortal?” With that, she threw him into another wall, demolishing it. She then charged a fireball and slammed him with it, smiling wickedly as he cried out.

“Even immortals can die, you know...” Twilight hissed, assaulting him with ice spears, “It just takes the right tools, and patience. But any body can break when it's forced to its limits...” she then began to strike him with electricity, “So I ask...” she moved on to a black sword and started slashing and stabbing relentlessly, “...What's your limit?”

Eclipse struggled to shield himself from her onslaught, but to no avail, as Twilight only continued to strike even more ferociously. “Of course...” she muttered, suddenly pausing, “There are other, far more interesting things I should tend to. Besides, I doubt you'll survive any of this, anyway. So yes, I'll leave you to die alone. Seems befitting of my name, yes?” With that, she ran out of the crumbling tower, leaving him behind.

'No, don't leave him!' Twilight shrieked within her mind, but her body would not have it. Her vision began to become blurry and swirl around her, causing her to trip and fall to the ground, suddenly finding herself near the black Alicorn again.

“I don't understand...” she sobbed, struggling to stand up, but finding herself too weak. “Then think about what I have shown you,” he answered bluntly, “Now wake up.” She felt as if she was being pulled away by some unknown force, her body ice cold as she suddenly found her eyes opening, the dream over and done with. But the Alicorn remained.

“We will meet again, I can assure you of that...” he said darkly, his body slowly disappearing from all vision as hoof beats echoed through the dark, stone hallway. Twilight chose to close her eyes, not caring about the identity of the newcomer. All she wanted was what little peace she had left in this depressing place. Nonetheless, she found genuine tears slowly leaving her eyes, and her body trembled in response, before she found herself choking on air and her own tears.

“Child, now is not the time to cry. Now is the time to be strong.”

Twilight's eyelids shot open at the voice, and she found herself staring into Luna's eyes. “P-Princess Luna?!” she choked out, her eyes wide with surprise. “...I would prefer you did not address me as that...” Luna stated plainly, grimacing, “Please, call me........just....Luna.”

“Oh...alright.... Luna, why are you here?”

“I am here to get you out. Celestia told me to wait, but I cannot do that.”

With that, Luna swiftly unlocked the cell door and unchained Twilight, removing the black collar but keeping all the silver shackles on her. “All things considered, I could tell you to follow me and not bring attention to yourself, but why should I?” Luna said jokingly, “After all, I can just teleport the both of us to our destination without needless drama.” Her horn then glowed brightly, and the two found themselves in Luna's bedroom.

“Now, we must find a suitable disguise...” Luna informed the smaller Alicorn, “To keep you safe from those that might wish to hurt you.” Twilight only offered a nod as her response, looking rather numb. Luna decided to get a bit closer to her, looking sympathetic.

“It would be difficult to hide your horn or wings with a simple disguise...” Luna stated matter-of-factly, as if ignoring Twilight's troubled aura for a brief moment, “But, I believe I can use an old illusion spell to disguise you. I have not used it in awhile, however, so I cannot promise anything...” The mention of an unfamiliar magic seemed to make Twilight's ears perk up, and she looked up at Luna, smiling a bit.

“We can still try...” Twilight said, trying to sound encouraging, “I'm sure you can do it, Princess...I mean, Luna.” Luna smiled weakly in response, “I thank you for your encouragement...” she replied firmly, her horn glowing and her eyes closed shut in deep concentration. A reddish glow enveloped Twilight, and her appearance began slowly changing to a normal, red-coloured Unicorn with a golden mane and tail. Her Cutie Mark, however, remained unchanged.

“That is something too...sacred, shall we say, for me to change,” Luna stated, answering the unasked question. “I suggest you wear something to cover it up.” The Moon Princess looked at the door cautiously, as if worried someone would come in and see what they were doing, before deciding everything was safe and going to her closet.

“I am not sure why I kept this...” Luna mused, levitating a black dress with white star patterns on it, that she herself was way too big for, “But I suppose it's a good thing I did. It should fit you... Here, take it.” Twilight did so gingerly, mind a bit too numb to think of a good response. She slowly put it on, a bit surprised that it actually fit. Surely Luna wasn't this small before?

“Is that alright?” Luna asked almost earnestly. “Yes, Luna...” Twilight managed, before looking at herself in a nearby mirror, “And the spell worked, too. But might I ask why you have this dress? I don't remember you being...this...small.”

“That...is a hard question for me to answer...”

“Oh, if it's personal, forget I asked...”

Luna's eye twitched briefly, as if she was fighting within herself over something. “It was...for somepony I care about more than anything else...” she managed to say, her voice shaky. “Huh?” Twilight said stupidly, confused, “Who would that be?”

“I...do not feel I am at liberty to tell you...”

“...At liberty?”

“There are many things you need to be told, but...I need time.”

Twilight didn't respond, instead shuffling her hooves. “However, there is one thing I will tell you...” Luna spoke up, “Celestia didn't want to put you in that cell. She did it because she felt it was the safest place for you to be, since...well, it should come as no surprise that not everypony wants to see you now... But I felt it would be better if you were not confined in that manner.”

“...Thanks...” Twilight replied, as if suddenly losing the will to speak. “...Do you need to be left alone?” Luna asked, an almost motherly concern in her voice.

“...I...think so...”

“...Alright. There are things that I should tend to, anyway...

With that, Luna slowly left the room, a hint of remorse on her face.

Elsewhere...

Celestia levitated the letter and read it again, still unsure what to make of it. She had found it on her desk early that morning, with no explanation as to who or where it came from. She sighed and chose to read it again:

'To you, a most gracious ruler of her people, I give these words...
You cannot repair what has been broken.
The seal is lost, and shall never be regained.
You can delay the inevitable for as long as you wish.
But ultimately, you will lose.
And there is another thing you should know.
I will come for you very soon.'

The writer never offered their name.

Celestia gingerly put the letter down and took a deep breath. It worried her that someone else would know of the seal; such knowledge was reserved for herself and Luna (not even Cadance knew of it). Whoever it was knew more than they should have. A chill suddenly went through her body as she considered the possibility that the person was the one who had broken the seal in the first place. Such a feat would require considerable mental power and great skill in the art of mind searching.

The white Alicorn contemplated the closing sentence, wondering if she should concern herself with it or not. The majority of her judgment screamed at her to leave her current location, but she chose to ignore it. She had royal duties to tend to, and if this mysterious person did come, surely she could handle it.

'...What if they are an immortal...?'

Celestia closed her eyes and concentrated hard, a golden, fiery sword suddenly materializing. She began to levitate it, looking strained after she had created it, having not used it in so long. In fact, much of her destructive magic she had not used for centuries. War and death was not something she wished to be involved with. It never was. Her train of thought was ruined as Philomena suddenly started screeching, the sword shattering into particles of energy due to some other force.

“You will not be needing that.”

“...Who are you?!” Celestia demanded, turning around to face the one behind her, feeling absolute dread at the sight of him as the Phoenix continued screeching within the confines of her cage. “Surely you haven't forgotten me, Tia?” the black Alicorn inquired, his voice completely calm.

“...You can't be...”

“But I am.”

Celestia backed away, in denial at what was standing in front of her. “Now come with me.” the black Alicorn demanded, his tone firm and final. “No!” Celestia protested, finally backing into the wall, “I won't! You're not him! Your heart is nothing like his!”

“If you won't come willingly...then I'm going to have to force you.”

Celestia suddenly felt herself dozing off, catching a glimpse of the black Alicorn's glowing horn. “Get out of my mind!” she shrieked, trying desperately to levitate a nearby vase and throw it at him, only for him to move out of the way, his grip growing stronger. She exhaled sharply and charged at him, succeeding in knocking him over and breaking his concentration.

“...You shouldn't have done that.” he muttered, as he stood up again to face her, promptly smacking her across her face with his hoof. She let out a cry, but soon found her mind to be clear once more and she then formed the enchanted blade, immediately striking his side. She backed off briefly, trying to beat back her own hysteria and keep herself from messing up, before going in for another strike. It didn't take long for him to ready a shield, and she found her weapon absolutely useless.

“You seem...weaker than I remember, Tia.” he noted, and she chose to glare fiercely at him. “I don't wish to practice the arts of war anymore,” she answered calmly, trying to break his shield, “War only leads to pain and suffering, and I want no part in it!”

“Hm, maybe. But don't you think you should be more prepared than this?”

She suddenly felt the crushing force on her mind again, and she began to slowly lie down on the ground. “No, no!” she screamed, trying desperately to keep herself awake, “I can't lose! I won't!” Her horn glowed and she attempted to teleport, only to find herself unsuccessful, as she grew more and more groggy. He continued assaulting her with the sleep-inducing energy before she found herself unable to speak, finally succumbing to it.

The black Alicorn looked at her unconscious form briefly, before wincing at the wounds she had inflicted upon him. It hadn't gone as well as he had hoped it would. He most certainly wasn't perfect, but he felt he was close enough. He did succeed, after all.

His horn glowed and a purplish black portal opened up near them both. He gingerly levitated Celestia and pulled her into it with him, them and the portal vanishing into thin air. This only served to make Philomena's screeching even louder.

“...No, that didn't just happen.”

So Luna tried to tell herself, staring in horror at the now empty throne room, having arrived too late.

(Author's Note, 4/24/2012: I went back and fixed some errors I missed and put in a little mention of Cadance)