• Published 9th Dec 2017
  • 1,778 Views, 87 Comments

The Persistence of Destiny - Cold Bolt



Starlight Glimmer is convinced she's ruined everything. Fate seems to disagree.

  • ...
0
 87
 1,778

A Deluge of Devotion

Author's Note:

v1.1

As soon as the sound of the river faded behind them, Derpy staggered.

"Easy now," said the Doctor, giving her his shoulder to lean on.

Starlight frowned. "Derpy, are you sure you're alright?"

"I'm fine, I promise," said Derpy with a tired giggle. "It's okay, we really need to - whoa!" She staggered again, practically crashing into the Doctor beside her.

Starlight shook her head. "You've just been through a lot. I think we ought to rest for a bit."

"No complaints here," agreed Sunset. "We've been walking for hours now."

A general murmur of assent came from the rest of the party. In minutes, the six of them sat huddled around a small campfire in the middle of the path, munching on muffins and passing a canteen of water between them.

"What time is it, you reckon?" Applejack craned her neck skyward, her eyes lingering on the bright moon above. "My senses are all mucked up on account of it's still dark."

"Well, I didn't exactly bring a watch..." Sunset lifted her fetlock and glanced at it. "...but it's gotta be at least noon by now."

Starlight swallowed a bite of muffin. "That's an eerie thought..." After a pause, a thought occurred to her. "Hey Derpy, how are...?"

She paused as she caught sight of the mare dozing peacefully on the Doctor's shoulder. He smiled down at her for a moment before looking up at Starlight and raising a hoof to his lips.

Rainbow sighed quietly. "It's scary how determined she was back there. Good thing it all worked out okay, right?"

"I've known her for years," said the Doctor, "and for all her smiles, I had no idea she struggled so... I can only hope this trip brings her some confidence."

Starlight nodded. "She deserves it."


A few minutes later, after the muffins were eaten and the canteen was drained, the party broke their tiny camp and carried on. Though it had been brief, Derpy seemed reinvigorated after her nap, and now trotted along happily.

"Hey, look!"

A thick fog blanketed the terrain ahead of them, but just at the edge of their vision, a set of ancient spires was visible above the mist.

"There it is!" Rainbow hovered overhead, pointing her metal-clad hoof. "We're almost home free!"

"Don't let your guard down yet," warned Starlight. "There could still be danger between us and it."

"Uh... case in point, maybe?"

Applejack pointed at the abrupt end of the path in front of them, giving way to a chasm filled with fog.

Sunset scowled at it. "Another gap to cross? Feels like too many variations on the same theme, if you ask me."

"Look, there's a bridge!" Derpy pointed to a pair of wooden supports driven into the ground, to which the ends of a rope bridge were tied. As she approached it, however, she soon found herself peering over the edge of the cliff. "Oh, but um... I don't think it goes in the direction we wanted..."

Sure enough, the bridge hung down into the chasm, apparently severed somewhere along its length.

"No problem," said Rainbow. "I can just fly down and fix it myself. I'll be back in a flash!"

"Wait, flash...?" Starlight blinked. "Hang on, Rainbow. I have a better idea."

Rainbow flailed to a stop in midair. "Huh?"

Starlight turned to Sunset. "You should do it."

"Uh." Sunset glanced between Starlight and Rainbow. "Wait, why me?"

Starlight walked up to her and spoke quietly. "Do you trust me?"

Sunset quirked an eyebrow. "Well, duh. Of course I do."

"Then it has to be you. I think I know what's coming up next... and it's something you in particular have to face."

Sunset took a deep breath, her gaze resting on the fog ahead. "Alright... well, then here goes."

Teleportation was a trick Sunset hadn't used in a long time; she wasn't capable of that sort of magic in human form. Thankfully, it was a skill that required far too much time and effort to learn in the first place for her to ever forget it. With her eyes locked on the far end of the chasm, her horn flared; in an instant, she stood in unfamiliar surroundings.

She turned to face the way she came. Five indistinct figures milled about back on the other side, only barely visible through the mist, and she called out to them. "Hey! I made it!"

There was no response.

"Great, they can't hear me," she grumbled. "Oh well. Let's take care of this thing."

It took concentration to reach all the way back across the chasm, but soon she felt the end of the bridge in her magical grip. A pair of supports stood on this side as well, undamaged but for the time they had spent unshielded from the weather; before long, one half of the bridge was secured.

"Huh?"

A glow emanated from behind Sunset.

Curious, she spun around for a better look... and gasped at the sight of her cutie mark hovering in midair before her, shining brilliantly with a warm light.

Almost instinctively, she took a step closer, noticing instantly that it was giving off more than just light. The emblem also radiated power, palpable through her whole body. It was a pleasant sensation, an inviting one. At once, she knew it was an offer - an offer of everything she had ever wanted.

Her mind drifted back years, to her days as Celestia's personal student. The sun princess saw her unparalleled potential, but needed to test her properly to ensure she would put that potential to good use - to employ her power harmoniously were she to tap into it.

Curse that stupid mirror.

Her future stared back at her when she looked into it. It had to be! She could feel it. Celestia and her arbitrary rules were only standing in the way of what Sunset deserved! And now -

Now that power she had sought for years stood right in front of her, all but begging her to take it.

Before she knew it, her forehoof was already extended toward the emblem, a tingling sensation in her leg intensifying the closer she got to it. It was intoxicating. Her heart pounded.

She'd show them.

She'd show them all how to respect the name Sunset Shimmer.

She would show the whole world -

"NO!"

Sunset wrenched her hoof away from the emblem, the sudden momentum causing her to topple backward onto her haunches.

"I'm not that Sunset anymore!" Frightened by how quickly the unspoken offer had tempted her and determined to defy it, Sunset glared daggers at the floating cutie mark. "I've changed! Celestia was right - I wasn't ready, and I'm still not... but there's no way I'm falling for an empty promise from a stupid floaty light!"

The emblem hovered unfalteringly.

"Get away from me," she snarled, fuming. "I've got friends waiting for me." With that, she turned her back on the emblem and picked up the untied end of the rope bridge.

In an instant, the emblem dissipated. In its place was a rapidly expanding screen of magic that encased Sunset like a giant bubble. It emitted a brief hiss before going quiet.

" - !"

Sunset opened her mouth to speak, but no sound came out as the breath was sucked from her lungs. She tried to gasp in surprise, to no avail - all the air inside the bubble had been evacuated, leaving her in a vacuum. Her mind racing, she wound her hoof back and pounded on the magic screen, but it held fast.

Her lungs began to burn. She called on her teleportation again, a short jump to escape the bubble trying to suffocate her... but as her spell went off, she felt as though she'd just slammed herself bodily into a brick wall, no closer to safety... and a sharp pain from her forehead told her the attempt had singed her horn.

She staggered inside her prison, her eyes unfocusing from the ache in her head and her lungs. At the rate she was going, she had mere seconds of consciousness left and no idea what to -

The bridge!

Stars swam in Sunset's vision as she reached out once more, fighting through the pain with all her remaining strength as she telekinetically lifted the untied rope and slowly coiled it around the bridge support. She tugged and tugged, desperate to tighten it as much as she could - if it unraveled while the others were trying to cross it, then...

...then...

...then all she knew was darkness.


"...set? W..."

Muffled speech registered dimly in the recesses of Sunset's mind.

"...kay? Say some..."

Was someone talking to her? Whatever it was, it would have to wait till morning. She was way too tired to -

She felt herself being shaken gently.

"Wake up, Sunset. Come on, we need you..."

Finally, Sunset's eyes eased open. Through the stars still clouding her vision, she saw a pair of worried indigo eyes staring down at her.

"Star... light...?"

The worried gaze softened into a relieved smile. The next thing she knew, she was being held firmly.

"I'm so sorry, Sunset..." Starlight's voice was barely above a whisper. "I thought I knew what I was doing, but I... I almost..."

"Hah..." Still winded from the experience, Sunset's words came in between heavy breaths. "You were... you were right though..."

"Huh...?"

Sunset sat up slowly and spent a moment catching her breath, raising a hoof to gingerly rub her burnt horn. With any luck, the injury wasn't as bad as Starlight's, but it still stung in more ways than one. "This just got personal. That trap wasn't meant for the first pony across the gap... It was meant for the one and only Sunset Shimmer."

Derpy shivered. "That's scary..."

"I wasn't sure at first," Sunset continued, "when you said Nightmare Moon knew we were here. She could have set those traps beforehand in case anyone wised up and came looking for the Elements... but this? There's no way."

The rest of the party exchanged worried glances before looking back down as Sunset slowly climbed up on all fours with Starlight's help.

"Before you ask, I'm fine now. My horn's seen worse than this, anyway." Sunset's face hardened into a scowl. "Might have needed a good kick in the teeth, now that I think about it. Let's go teach this lunatic who's boss."

A chorus of cheers rang out as the six of them marched onward, the castle ruins looming ahead in the darkness.