• Published 9th Dec 2017
  • 1,780 Views, 87 Comments

The Persistence of Destiny - Cold Bolt



Starlight Glimmer is convinced she's ruined everything. Fate seems to disagree.

  • ...
0
 87
 1,780

To Far Away Realities

"Unh..."

Starlight fell to the floor, panting. "Wow, that... sure takes it out of you, doesn't it...?"

Rainbow wobbled on her hooves as she shook her head in an attempt to free it of dizziness. "Whoa..."

"Hey, my horn's healed!" Sunset lit it with a brief light spell to demonstrate as she turned to Starlight. "Yours is, too!"

Starlight blinked, hesitating a moment before mimicking Sunset's test and smiling at its success. "Oh wow, that's much better."

"So, uh." Applejack coughed. "She ain't dead, right?"

All six ponies turned to look where Nightmare Moon had stood just moments before. The alicorn that lay before them no longer bore fangs, armor, or draconic eyes. She sat strangely still, but for the rise and fall of her chest and a slight parting of her lips, almost as though...

"She's..." Rainbow inched forward on silent wings, one eyebrow raised as she peered at the dark figure carefully. "...asleep?"

Derpy tilted her head. "Well, she went from 'scary and trying to kill us' to 'only a little spooky and also sleeping,' so... that's good, right?"

"Definitely." Starlight beamed. "We did it, everypony - she's back to normal."

"Well, reckon I ain't sure quite what we did, but..." Applejack trailed off.

"Dark magic," said the Doctor.

"Beg pardon?"

The Doctor cleared his throat. "Nightmare Moon was a being born of the corrupted essence of dark magic. The Elements banished that magic from her body, restoring her to the pony she was before."

Rainbow placed her forehooves on her hips. "Yeah, and just who would that be?"

"Princess Luna," said Starlight. "Princess Celestia's little sister."

"The Princess's..." began Rainbow.

"...little sister?" finished Applejack.

Starlight nodded. "Speaking of which, we still have one more thing to - "

"Hey, look!"

The ponies' eyes followed Derpy's pointing hoof to find a strange light descending gently from the sky. It slowed as it reached the floor of the castle foyer, expanding and taking shape... as it gradually coalesced into the form of an unconscious Princess Celestia.

"Oh. Well, that was easy enough." As the rest stared, Starlight trotted to her side, nudging the Princess's shoulder and stroking her ethereal mane. "Princess..." she breathed. "Princess Celestia, are you okay?"

With a faint moan, Celestia's eyes stirred... and soon opened. Several seconds passed as her mind took its time catching up with the situation, but as soon as it did -

"Sister?" She straightened up abruptly, causing Starlight to flinch. "Sister, where are you? What happened?"

The assembled ponies parted, giving Celestia a view of the slumbering mare on the other side of the room.

"I'm pleased to say she's unharmed, Your Highness!" The Doctor grinned as he gestured toward Luna. "These Elements of Harmony really did the trick, I'd wager."

"Elements of...!" Celestia gasped, her eyes now passing from one pony to the next - or more precisely to the necklaces they wore, her muzzle slowly curving into a smile as six brilliant gems sparkled back at her in the moonlight.

She took the hoof offered to her by Starlight and stood up. "My little ponies..." She shook her head, her eyes welling with tears. "No words can express my gratitude for what you've done today. The six of you have not only saved me, or even all of Equestria..."

She paused to swallow a lump in her throat as she approached the sleeping form of Luna and gently brushed her mane. "...but you've rescued my sweet little sister from the darkness in her heart - and in so doing, you've fixed one of the worst mistakes I have ever made." She took a shuddering breath. "I almost can't believe she's back to normal..."

Applejack lifted her hat from her head and held it over her chest. "Aw, we just did what needed doing, Princess. Ain't no big thing to it."

"I could hardly disagree more, miss...?"

"Oh! Uh, Applejack, Your Highness." Applejack set her hat aside and bowed.

With an eager smile, Celestia looked to the others expectantly, each one bowing as they spoke up.

"Doctor Whooves, at your command."

"Rainbow Dash, ma'am!"

"Uh, um... Derpy Hooves...!"

"Starlight Glimmer."

Sunset slowly retreated behind the pillar in the center of the room.

Celestia's smile faltered. "Sunset...?"

This was of course too little too late.

With an audible gulp, Sunset stepped back into view, staring determinedly at the floor.

"Sunset Shimmer, look at me," said the Princess.

Slowly, Sunset lifted her gaze to meet Celestia's.

"I do not yet understand what possessed you to reject my guidance and abandon your studies, and we haven't the time now for you to explain yourself..." Celestia sat down upon the stone, smiling once more. "...but for you to be standing here before me now, bearing an Element of Harmony, you are clearly a pony changed greatly for the better - and you have more than earned my forgiveness."

Before the tears had finished forming, Sunset bounded forward and wrapped her forelegs around Celestia's neck, earning an alabaster wing draped around her in return.

"Aww," Derpy cooed. "I don't know what's going on, but it's cute!"

"We'll explain later," said Starlight, unable to suppress her own smile at the sight.

Once released from her former student's embrace, Celestia hoisted the slumbering alicorn onto her back and turned to face the party.

"We have a great deal to discuss, but I must take my sister back to Canterlot. Plus, I imagine you'd like the opportunity to rest after all you've been through tonight." She paused. "On that note..."

Golden light surrounded her horn as her magic began to flow. All eyes in the room turned skyward as the moon drifted toward the horizon... and the first blessed rays of sunshine stretched over the land.

"Heh." Rainbow tossed her bangs with a flick of her head. "Never thought I'd be this happy just to see the sun rise."

The magical glow continued as an ornate circle began carving itself into the floor, lighting up in white as it completed.

"This will take you back to Ponyville," said the Princess. "I will meet you there shortly."

"At the library?" suggested Starlight. "The Golden Oak?"

Celestia nodded.

One by one, the six new Element bearers marched into the circle and vanished in a flash of light.


Celestia paced slowly around the library as she scrutinized the scroll hovering in her magical grip.

Starlight rubbed the back of her head. "So... what do you think, Princess?"

"Hmm..." Lowering the scroll just enough to peer over it, Celestia met Starlight's gaze. "So you believe this to be a time travel mishap?"

"We did at first," explained Sunset, "but then we started noticing changes in the timeline that couldn't possibly have been the result of the spell, so we're not sure." This statement was accompanied by a forceful nudge of Starlight's shoulder.

Celestia spent several more moments looking over the spell, muttering to herself. "...multiverse...?"

"Aha!" The Doctor pointed a hoof at the scroll. "I had my suspicions, of course, but I wanted a second opinion before I said anything."

"Oh!" Starlight's eyes went wide. "You think it sent us to - "

"Exactly!" The Doctor grinned. "It makes the most sense under the circumstances, wouldn't you say?"

Applejack and Rainbow Dash exchanged glances.

"But that's nearly impossible to pull off deliberately under the best conditions," protested Sunset. "How could she have done it by accident?" She blinked. "And why is all this giving me déjà vu...?"

"An excellent question," said the Princess, "but I still concur with the Doctor's assessment. It seems the most likely explanation."

"Um...?" Derpy raised her hoof.

Celestia tilted her head slightly. "Yes, Miss Hooves?"

Derpy fidgeted. "Umm... what's 'multiverse' mean?"

"A highly experimental branch of science and sorcery," said the Doctor. "Imagine, if you will, the set of all possible realities. Put as simply as possible, multiverse theory states that this set - and thus, all the realities defined within - exists."

Derpy turned to look at Applejack and Rainbow for support. Both of them shook their heads, clearly as lost as she was.

"Perhaps we should try a different approach." Celestia rolled up the scroll and set it aside. "Miss Hooves, what did you have for breakfast this morning?"

Derpy rubbed her chin. "A... bowl of oats?"

"But you could've had a muffin instead," suggested Starlight.

"Well, yeah, I guess."

"Then there exists a universe that's identical to this one, except that in that universe, you had that muffin instead of oats," Starlight continued.

"Oh." Derpy blinked. "O...kay?"

"And there's another where, hmm... you had a stomachache and skipped breakfast altogether," added Sunset.

"And another still where breakfast is forbidden by law, except on alternating Tuesdays!" The Doctor chuckled to himself.

Applejack fiddled with her hat. "Right, so... what's all this got to do with our friends then?"

Celestia took a seat beside Sunset. "I believe these two are from one of those other realities, one in which things are far more different from what we know than a simple meal choice."

Sunset stared at the floor.

The Princess draped a wing around her again. "And before you begin doubting yourself again, Sunset, this does not make your growth any less meaningful. I'm proud of you just the same."

With a sheepish smile and a blush rising on her cheeks, Sunset gave her former mentor's wing an affectionate nuzzle.

Starlight stifled a snicker. "Shoe's on the other hoof now, huh?"

Sunset didn't even look up. "Can it, you."

Rainbow crossed her forelegs. "So what do we do now, then?"

"That will be up to Sunset and Starlight," said Celestia. "However, as most of the work has been done already - and I owe you all a great debt regardless - I'm prepared to take Starlight's spell with me to Canterlot and have my scholars complete it so they can return home."

"Home?" echoed Derpy. "You mean... back to their own universe?"

Celestia nodded.

Derpy wrapped her wings around herself. "But... what does that mean for us? Aren't - don't we need them for their Elements?"

The Doctor put a hoof on her shoulder. "Derpy dear, we can't keep them here away from their loved ones just for our sake."

Derpy looked like she had more to say, but she fell silent as her eyes began to water.

Starlight approached, offering her reassuring touch as well. "We're not leaving yet. We still have time to spend together, I promise."

"I... I know, but..." Derpy pulled Starlight into a hug. "I, I'm gonna miss you when you go...!"

"I'll miss you too." Starlight gave the poor mare a firm squeeze. "But I know how brave you can be, and so do you. I know you'll be okay."

Derpy sniffles. "Mhmm..."

Glancing over Derpy's shoulder, Starlight caught sight of Applejack and Rainbow Dash still standing nearby, and her eyes lit up.

"Wait... that's it!"


"Mail's here!"

Starlight set down her quill and spun around as Sunset closed the library door behind her, holding a small stack of envelopes aloft.

"Anything?"

Sunset began flipping through the letters. "Junk... junk... oh, Princess Celestia!" She quickly tore it open and examined the message within. "Wow, that was fast. Hasn't even been a week yet..."

Starlight tilted her head. "What's it say?"

"The spell is fixed," said Sunset, "or as close as they can get it, at least. She says we'll know where to find it when we want to go home."

"Starswirl wing of the Archive then, probably." Starlight nodded and turned back to her unfinished letter.

Sunset trotted up and peered at it. "Are you really sure we should be doing this?"

"You're not doubting me now after all that, are you?" Starlight smirked briefly before turning toward Sunset again, her face turning serious. "One of the things Twilight taught me was that every friendship is precious. The loss of even one bond can have devastating effects on all of Equestria... and I've seen for myself how important the friendship between those girls really is. It's their destiny to be together."

"Destiny, huh? Pff." Sunset rolled her eyes. "Funny how destiny needed to pull two girls from another reality to get the job done, don't you think?"

"Oh, I don't know," said Starlight. "I never really thought of destiny like it's this immutable path for history to follow. Looking back on what's already happened might make you think that, sure, but..."

Sunset quirked an eyebrow. "But what? What do you think destiny is, then?"

"Think of it this way. In our original reality, how was Nightmare Moon defeated?"

"Well..." Sunset pondered for a moment. "Twilight and the others banded together to fight through the Everfree Forest and recover the Elements, right?"

"Right," said Starlight. "And how did it happen here?"

Sunset blinked. "Oh...! It was pretty much the same basic story, just with different ponies and a few other details changed." She paused and scratched her head. "Okay, a lot of other details changed. Did you notice Applejack saying 'June bug' instead of 'sugarcube?' What's up with that?"

Starlight giggled. "So you get it, then?"

"I think I do. You're saying it's more like... you show up, you get the job."

"Pretty much."

"Huh. Well, that's interesting, I guess." Sunset glanced at the mail again. "Oh, wait! We got a reply!"

Starlight's eyes lit up. "We did? From who?"

"The rock farm!" Sunset tore open the letter and flattened it out on the desk to read.

Dear Misses Shimmer and Glimmer,

We hope our reply finds thee in good health.

Thy familiarity with our daughter Pinkie is perplexing, but thy concern has tempered our suspicion. In truth, our brightest daughter has long been a great puzzle to us as well; thy offer of assistance is much appreciated, and we would be pleased indeed to welcome thee. We have far more questions than a letter can carry.

Sincerely,

Igneous Rock and Cloudy Quartz of the Pie Family

"Whew," said Starlight. "Well, that was a bit easier than I expected."

Sunset squinted at the letter. "This part is kind of vague. What do they mean, Pinkie's been a puzzle?"

"You mean, aside from the obvious?"

"Well, duh."

Starlight smirked. "Let's pack our bags and go find out."

Author's Note:

This story was the end result of a random brainwave I got one day that effectively boiled down to "what if the contemporary Mane 6 got sent back in time to Nightmare Moon's return, but messed up by trying to grab the Elements early?" Trouble was, I wasn't sure how to answer that question. I ended up running the concept past a friend, and the end result was the story you just finished reading.

This was as far as I meant to take it, but then I started getting all these comments wondering about the characters we didn't get to see. Where are they? How are their stories different in this reality? Honestly, I'm still surprised by the reception this story has gotten overall (at time of writing it's still at zero downvotes, which is incredible), and it would be a shame to disappoint you all. As such, I'm planning on a sequel, coming Soon™! I already have some concepts planned for that one.

If you liked this story I'd be flattered if you had a look at my other works, and the follow button will help you make sure you don't miss the sequel when it comes out. Thanks so much for reading, and I hope to see you again soon!

Comments ( 19 )

This was great so I'm guess they are gonna see what happened to the rest of the main 6 and find out if any of them can take their place as elements before they are able to head home.

Looking forward to it.

Hah, I actually followed before reading the author's note, or the chapter. Looking forward to seeing the others. What makes AUs so fascinating for me is the characters we know and love conquering different challenges and facing different decisions about life and how to live it. And in this case... well quite the decisions to be made. And with the portrayals you've given us here I'm confident what's next is going to be great as well.

Setting aside the canon Bearers (for now)... maybe they could also track down the local Starlight and hug the crap out of her before she goes all cult leader. It's not like they haven't already altered this AU, why not do them that favor? Besides, when they go home they'll need to have passed on their Elements to somepony.

This was a great ride, really nice work. Thanks for writing!

This was great. Now the question is, do they ask Applejack and Dash and the rest to bring the original Starlight and Sunset into their group and help them, if Starlight and Sunset decide to return to their universe.

Cause when they do, they'll probably have a very confused, scared and angry Sunset and Starlight left in their places. Who are now suddenly heroines and have no idea how they got to Ponyville /Canterlot.

8801877
And get that book and do the same to Sunset.

Though that universes Starlight and Sunset have gone MIA since good Starlight and Sunset appeared.

You know, after seeing a certain episode of MLP season 8, I have a new idea about what happened to Starlight. And I am more sad then ever for her. :pinkiesad2: That the choice of not making new friends might not have been her own. And she is just pretending it was her own choice.

8801877
8801891

I believe it was implied they assumed the lives of the local Starlight and Sunset. I figure it's like Quantum Leap.

8803208
You're still going to be left with a very confused Starlight and Sunset, who will have no idea what the hell they were doing. And why are they suddenly heroines now.

Starlight and Sunset may want to give their group the heads up on their backstories, so they can frienship and hug the hell out of them when they get back.

8803208

8801891
Definitely Sunset too. You're both right; I didn't word that well. Quantum Leap is exactly what I was thinking. My Stock Well joke awhile back in the comments was a reference to that. Dean Stockwell played Al Cavarichi (spelling might be off), the hologram projection that helped Sam during his leaps. Unless local Starlight and Sunset have something like that... They're gonna need an explanation... and the hug might not go amiss. That's unless they're sharing thoughts somehow; they're both bright enough to figure things out from there if so. I hope to find out soon!

8803234
And I guess Starlight should mention Discord as well. And how they 'successfully' reformed him.

8803295
Ooh yeah, especially with a different Kindness this time.

May I make a suggestion on the planned sequel;

You know how there are sometimes stories wherein one or more of the Mane6 end up in an alternate universe, which is usually in grave danger, and they cannot go home until they've beaten the Big Bad?

And then they walk off through the portal, presumably grab a snack, and just relax and they never return to that other world ever again? :rainbowhuh:

Well, what, if they made the portal stable? Then they could visit, or receive visitors. Which seems it would be the ideal solution for your Starlight and Sunset -- especially since Sunset already has friends two universes over, she's used to commuting. :raritywink:

Imagine Starlight introducing alternate Rainbow Dash and mainline-Fluttershy, for example. :derpytongue2:

And, what if you went one step further?

You know what nopony's ever written?

A story about two parallel Equestrias opening diplomatic relations. Tourism. Travel. Exchange of knowledge and culture. :derpytongue2:

8809027
Rainbow falls in love with herself. :rainbowlaugh:

Twilight gives Starlight advice so she doesn't make some of the mistakes she made. :twilightsmile:

8809073
Rainbow Dash X Rainbow Dash, eh? Never would've guessed. :derpytongue2:
Kinda expecting, ya know, a TrixTrix shipping instead. :trollestia:

Haven't read a season 1 redux in a while.

Ahh, multiverse theory, that's why things were so different in some areas.

Awesome story, Can’t wait for the sequel

Im curious as to what happened to Fluttershy? Did she die in the fall from Cloudsdayle? And what of Rarity and Twilight?

Surprisingly more entertaining than I'd expected. Good work.
👍🏽

Now this is hell of a well made swapverse.

This is really sweet! Much shorter and lower stakes than most stories like this, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I particularly enjoy Sunset and Starlight's relationship.

Login or register to comment