• Published 7th Dec 2017
  • 1,042 Views, 7 Comments

Friendship is Failure #11- The Meanie of Hearth's Warming - DakariKingMykan



Rarity learns a lesson when is forced to share the spotlight with an old rival of hers during the Hearth's Warming Pageant.

  • ...
65
 7
 1,042

Act 1: Rarity's Rival

ACT ONE

The next day, Twilight and Starlight we’re walking casually through Ponyville, and Spike rode on Twilight’s back, and all over they could see bits of Hearths Warming everywhere. “It’s all so magical.” said Twilight “I really love this time of year, when all the ponies get together and celebrate peace in Equestria.”

Starlight couldn’t argue with that, “I used to be so obsessed with power and wanting greatness, I never really took the time to see how beautiful everything could be. It’s almost like how the Fires of Friendship were formed by the great pony leaders on that day.”

“Speaking of which…” said Spike “I can hardly wait for the Hearth’s Warming play in Canterlot. It’s so exciting every year.”

“It sure is.” agreed Twilight, “And I get to see my family. They’re all coming over this year to watch the performance. It’s going to be so wonderful.”

Suddenly, they all heard the sound of Rarity screaming from way up the street. “Rarity!” cried Spike, and he leapt off Twilight’s back, and rushed off thinking his crush was in great danger. “I’ll save you!” he called as he dashed up the snowy streets. “Spike…!” Twilight called, and she and starlight chased after him all the way to Rarity’s.

The scream was heard again from outside, and Spike burst through the door, “Never fear! Spike is here!” he called bravely, but he could soon see there was no real danger; Rarity was just pacing back and forth, grumbling and sneering angrily.

Twilight and Starlight came inside, “Rarity, what’s wrong?” asked Starlight. “What’s wrong?” Rarity chuckled, “WHAT’S WRONG?!” then she levitated a newspaper up for her friends to see, “This… is what is wrong?”

The article showed a picture of Glitter Glitz; a tall beige unicorn with a long pink mane that had white streaks and her Cutie Mark was a picture of a sparkling dress. According to the paper, she was selected to play the role of Princess Platinum in the Hearths Warming pageant.

“Who’s Glitter Glitz?” asked Starlight. “An old rival of Rarity’s.” replied Twilight, and then she whispered, “Three, Two, One…!” and she pointed at Rarity whom began to lash out horrible sayings.

“That Glitter Glitz…! Ever since we were children she’s always been trying to outdo me!”

Spike and Twilight sighed, and both began to mutter things that Rarity whined about at the same time which they had heard dozens of times.

“I bake cookies, she bakes a cake!

“I knitted a scarf, she made a whole gown!

“I catch a cold, she catches the mumps!”

Starlight was aghast, “Wow, that bad huh?”

“Get ready,” whispered Spike “She’s about to rant about the business.”

Rarity paced back and forth complaining, “And then she had the nerve, the absolute gall to start up her own Fancy Dress Business in Canterlot!” She passed, stammered and grinded her teeth to try to keep cool.

“But you have a shop in Canterlot too.” Starlight said. Rarity sulked, “Well, yes, that’s true, but still… she only did it to one-up me again! All she ever talks about is how wonderful her business is and how hard she works at it, and she always puts me down whenever I talk about other things!”

“Like what?” Starlight asked. “No…!!” Twilight and Spike shouted not wanting Rarity to rant much longer, but she was already off again much to their dismay, “She’s always talked down to me whenever I talk about family and friends.” She gave a small huff, “And at least THAT is where we are different, I have a family and friends that I care for, while all she ever does is work her Fancy Dress Business. I’ve never even seen her celebrate Hearth’s Warming. She’s probably too busy for that as well.”

Twilight finally put her hoof down, “Okay, enough, Rarity! It’s the holidays. It’s time we’re supposed to be grateful and thinking of others, not just ourselves.”

“Besides, we can’t all be in the Hearth’s Warming pageant every year.” said Spike.

That’s when Pinkie Pie burst open squealing for joy, “I got a letter from Princess Celestia. She wants me to be in the pageant this year! Oh, it’s just like last year, and the year before that!”

Twilight sighed, and Rarity sulked.

Starlight approached her, “Rarity, Twilight’s right; it’s the holidays, and if there was one thing I was taught it’s that every-pony deserves a chance, right?”

Twilight smiled proudly at her student for saying that, and Rarity sighed irritably, “Alright! I’ll try…”

Pinkie blinked once, “Is Rarity complaining about Gli--” before she could finish, Twilight zapped her mouth with a spell of silence, not wanting her to get Rarity all riled up again, but Rarity was already doing her best to keep calm.

As the days past, Rarity seemed to calm down as she continued her work: sewing winter outfits for the cold season, and baking her traditional Christmas cookies to share with folks all over Ponyville with Sweetie Belle.

They even found time to stop and play in the snow a little bit. Sweetie Belle made a snow pony, while Rarity made a snow angel wearing a flowing gown.

As they went home Sweetie Belle said, “Gee that was a lot of fun, Rarity.”

Her sister smiled and patted her head, “Oh, Sweetie Belle, really this is the holidays, a time about spending with family and loved ones. Then again, we should do that all year long anyway.”

Sweetie was glad to hear that, “Oh, hey, I didn’t tell you. I got this letter today from Canterlot. Well, it’s for both of us actually. They’re saying they want us both to be in the Hearth’s Warming play this year.”

Rarity’s eyes snapped wide open, “What? Let me see that?” and she hastily snatched the letter from her sister and read it frantically. She was hoping that maybe Glitter Glitz had been taken ill and that Rarity would be playing Princess Platinum after all. No such luck, as it said that Rarity and Sweetie Belle were both cast in the play, “…As a beggar mare and her poor sick child?” she said in shock.

Sweetie Belle seemed excited, “I love the Hearth’s Warming play, and we get to be in it together! Isn’t that awesome?”

Rarity stood perfectly still, in a deep trance.

“Rarity…?”

No response.

“Rarity…?”

No response.

Rarity just stood there with her eye twitching.