• Published 2nd Dec 2017
  • 1,176 Views, 9 Comments

Glowing Embers - Sun Aura



Sunset Shimmer, a talented Unicorn, is now alone and without Magic in another Dimension. Leaving everything behind, she tries to start anew. But, can she do that without anyone who truly knows her?

  • ...
1
 9
 1,176

More Complicated than Kart Racing

“I think I definitely dodged a bullet, not going to Crystal Prep,” Sunset laughed, unlocking her door. “They should rename it from ‘Friendship Games’ to ‘Thunderdome Deathmatch’

“I’d heard the rumors, but I didn’t think they were that bad,” Flash said. “I wouldn’t mind being beaten by them if they didn’t gloat about it.”

“Look on the bright side,” she said, flopping on the couch. “We got to see Rainbow Dash leap out of the stands to kick a Shadowbolt in the shin.”

“Dodgeball, the deadliest sport,” he said. “Think you’ll compete when we’re in Senior Year?”

“Who knows,” she shrugged. “So, which game do you want to play? I have a few different Mario Karts.”

When there wasn’t an answer, she looked over to him. Flash seemed to be inspecting the room, almost like he was listening, waiting to hear something. Eventually, he noticed her looking at him.

“Where are your parents?” Flash asked.

“Not here at the moment,” Sunset, answered, cursing herself for having to think up another lie. “They go on business trips a lot, so it’s usually just me. But they’ll be sorry they didn’t get a chance to meet you!”

“But that….” He frowned, looking away for a moment. “So, who’s the Daring Do fan?”

“Huh?” she followed his glance to the bookshelves in the living room. “Oh, well, all of us really. But mostly me.”

“I just don’t know many people who’d display them in the living room,” he said, picking up one of them.

“We used to have signed first editions,” she explained. “That’s the kind of books to display, but I left them…. We lost them when we moved here. I managed to find them online, but we haven’t gotten around to getting them signed yet. But the shelf felt empty without them, so they’re still here.”

As he put the book back on the shelf, Sunset popped in one of the games. She wondered what he was thinking of, and a part of her was paranoid that he’d somehow figured it all out. That maybe she’d made too many jokes to herself, or said too many things that a normal teen wouldn’t. But he didn’t say anything about that.

“You play as Rosalina?” Flash asked.

“Yeah,” Sunset nodded, turning her attention back to the game. “I like the large karts and bikes better, and she’s prettiest out of the large characters so….”

“What, Waluigi’s not your type?” he teased.

“You already know my type,” she said.

“Fair enough,” he shrugged, choosing his own character and kart. “Then again I- hey! Don’t you dare start us on Rainbow Road!”

“Too late,” she smirked. “Should’ve said something earlier!”

She stuck out her tongue while Flash hunkered down into ‘serious game’ mode. Despite the protest, and some minor shoving, he didn’t do too bad, coming in second place. Of course, Sunset was still in first.

“Think they’ll have a Mario Kart contest in the Friendship Games?” Sunset asked.

“I think it’s more of a Mario Party thing,” Flash said. “Longer competition, and they’ll definitely start throwing punches.”

“As if they don’t already?” she laughed. “Think the whole ‘fangirling’ thing will be the same if you win at Mario Party Seriously, did you see everyone around High Kick during the pep rally?”

“Ugh, yeah,” he made a face. “I don’t get it. Sure he’s a good soccer player, but does everyone have to go nuts?”

“They think he’s cute,” she shrugged. “I guess he is, if you’re into guys.”

“Not really,” he mumbled.

Sunset gave him a look and set down her controller. He stared back, head tilted as if he didn’t notice what he said.

“Something you wish to share?” Sunset prompted.

“No?” Flash answered.

“You just said High Kick isn’t cute,” she said. “Not even in the ‘I’m not into guys so he’s not cute’ way like I did but regular ‘guys are cute but he’s not’ way.”

“Well if I’m not into guys I obviously don’t think he’s cute,” he defended, a bit too adamantly.

“Which is what I said,” she nodded. “Except you disagreed.”

“Then I-“ he stopped and frowned. “Damn it Sunset! What do you want me to say?”

“Okay, you don’t have to tell me if you don’t actually want to,” she said, a bit softer. “But hey, you’re talking to me here. I’m not going to judge you if you like guys.”

Instead of answering, Flash curled up on his side of the couch. His knees were at his chest, the forgotten controller hanging limply in his hand as he rested his head in his arms. He stared at the tv, watching the playback of their race, but not really registering it.

“I-I definitely like girls,” Flash said, more to himself than her. “I know I like girls. But I just…. Sometimes…. I don’t know.”

“Okay with me,” Sunset shrugged. “I, personally, only like girls. But if you like both, that’s fine with me.”

At her comment, his head shot up and he stared at her. The expression on his face was some combination of shock, confusion, and hope. It took a moment for that to click in Sunset’s brain, but once it did, she just stared back.

“Oh. My. Stars,” Sunset whispered. “You-you didn’t know that was a….”

“That’s an actual thing?” Flash asked, still in disbelief.

“That is absolutely a thing!” she exclaimed. “There’s plenty of people who… okay, you know what? I’m getting my laptop. I’m going old-school research paper on this thing, because holy fuck you need to know this stuff!”

“Wait, I’m still stuck on the ‘this is normal’ part,” he said. “If the idea of liking girls and guys is too complicated for me, do you really think a research paper will help?”

“You’re right, I think you work better with powerpoints,” she nodded. “But okay, I’ll admit, sexuality and gender and all that is a whole bunch of fuckery, though not as complicated as when you more than just.... not as complicated as choosing your main on Mario Kart. Anyway, let me chug an energy drink and give me twenty minutes to work up some basics on the complicated stuff. Trust me, you’ll feel a lot better about your life when you have answers!”

“Yeah, but-“ he tried to protest.

Unfortunately, Sunset was already at the fridge and half-way through a drink.

Author's Note:

I would pay to have Mario Party in the Friendship Games. After all, the reason there's a handle on the GameCube isn't for carrying. It's for picking it up and beating the hell out of your friends when they steal your Stars.